Keinnicht
2009-02-05, 11:13 PM
HE WHO HUNGERS
Colossal Undead (Extraplanar, Evil)
HD 37D12 (432 HP)
Speed 60 Feet, Fly 100 Feet (Perfect)
Init: +6
AC 48; touch 21; flat-footed 46
(+27 Natural, +15 Profane, +10 Insight, -8 Size)
BAB +18
Attack Claw +32 Melee
(3D6+33, +1D4 Con Drain, 10 point power attack, 19-20/x3)
Full-Attack Full attack +32/+27 Melee (3D6+33 +1D4 Con Drain, 10 point power attack, 19-20/x3)
Special Attacks Energy Drain, Trap Essence, Spell Like Abilities, Create Spawn
Special Qualities Aura of Blight, Aura of Hunger, Aura of Abomination, Spell Deflection, Dead God Within
Saves Fort +11 Ref +13 Will +27
Abilities Str 56, Dex 14, Con -, Int 10, Wis 20, Cha 23
Skills Spot +45, Listen +45, Climb +63, Jump +63, Concentration +40
Feats Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (Claw), Spell Penetration, Greater Spell Penetration, Improved Critical (Claw), Combat Casting
Environment 3,036th layer of the Abyss, Astral Plane, Hopefully not the Materal Plane
Organization He Who Hungers (Solitary), Pack (He Who Hungers and 5-6 Devourers), Mob (He Who Hungers Plus 20-30 Devourers, 1D4 of which are advanced), Army (He Who Hungers Plus 100-1,000 Devourers), Swarm (He Who Hungers Plus 1,000+ Devourers)
Challenge Rating 23?
Treasure
Alignment Chaotic Evil

He Who Hungers was once a Devourer who's name has been lost to time. He wandered the Astral Plane, and one day came across the dying god of a forgotten, reptilian race. The powerful Devourer easily overpowered and feasted on the god, creating the hideous abomination that the gods sealed in an unknown layer of the abyss after a war with it lasting centuries.

TRAITS

Aura of Blight (SU) All plant life within 2 miles of He Who Hungers is affected as per the Blight spell,, CL 21, DC 21.

Aura of Abomination (Su) All creatures within half a mile of He Who Hungers must make a fortitude save (DC 22) or become sickened and paralyzed. Sickened lasts 12 hours, paralysis lasts 2D6 rounds. Regardless of whether or not the creature makes it's save, it cannot be affected again by the Aura for one hour, or until the sickening effect is removed, whichever is later.

Aura of Hunger (Su) All living, nonoutsider creatures of less than 5 HD within 1 mile of the devourer are killed and trapped as per the trap essence ability. No save is allowed. Additionally, all creatures within 50 miles begin to be affected by starvation, regardless of how much they eat.

Spell Deflection: As per devourer ability. The deflected spells never effect the imprisoned god, only the other souls.

Dead God Within (Ex): He Who Hungers consumed a god long ago, and this grants him a variety of special powers. He may grant cleric spells (His domains are evil and agony [homebrew domain]) Additionally, unless the god is removed from He Who Hunger's rib cage within 10 minutes of He Who Hungers' death, He Who Hungers is reanimated but imprisoned instantly on the 3,036th layer of the abyss, until such time a foolish creature frees him again.

Energy Drain: Any creature hit by He Who Hungers' claw attack must make a DC 23 fortitude save or sustain a negative level and 1D4 points of constitution drain.

Trap Essence: As per devourer ability, except no limit on captured souls. Additionally, the God's soul is not freed by He Who Hungers' death.

Create Spawn: Any creature slain by He Who Hungers' claw attack rises again in 1D4 rounds as an advanced 20HD devourer. Any creature killed by the Aura of Hunger ability rises again as Zombie if they were killed instantly, or a Devourer if they starved to death.

So, basically, this would be the mega end campaign baddy, confronted at 18th-20th level. So would this be a difficult, but winnable fight, or a total massacre?

Shades of Gray
2009-02-05, 11:23 PM
Depends if they are all treants, then most likely yes :smalltongue:

Seems like a cool concept, things get harder to balance at higher levels.

Dust
2009-02-05, 11:24 PM
If I was He Who Hungers, I would keep a bowl of goldfish nearby so that, if attacked by pesky heroes, I could reach into the bowl, claw my fishy friends to shreds, and enjoy their transformation into 20HD minions. It would also supply with me a nigh-limitless unstoppable army.

Hell, raze a town or three and I'd have enough cannon fodder to throw at a lesser deity and begin my conquest for rulership of EVERYTHING...that could be killed by an unlimited number of Devourers.

I think I need a calculator for this one.

Maybe have the Devourers return to nothingness after 12 hours, or perhaps only foes with a reasonable hit die slain by HWH would rise as such?

Ascension
2009-02-05, 11:37 PM
But the goldfish would be zombies already, as would anything under 5 HD, thanks to Aura of Hunger.

I like this guy's potential to cut a swath of destruction through the countryside no matter how well the heroes do against him, leaving them with very real fallout whatever the circumstances, but you'll have to depend on a better judge of CR than I to say whether it's an appropriate encounter or not.

Baron Corm
2009-02-06, 04:07 PM
From what I can see it has no ranged attack or flight. Flight is easily gainable at that level. So if any ranged characters in the party make their save against paralysis, game is over.

Keinnicht
2009-02-07, 08:17 PM
From what I can see it has no ranged attack or flight. Flight is easily gainable at that level. So if any ranged characters in the party make their save against paralysis, game is over.

Good point. Adding a fly speed.

Llama231
2009-02-07, 08:28 PM
Seems like buffed-up corpse gatherer to me.

Why the 3,036th layer?

Also, C.R. 23 seems quite a bit low for a god-battling monster.