PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] The Kai Lord

SHAZAM
2009-02-06, 01:39 AM
Thought I'd take a stab at this homebrew thing. All classes based off Joe Dever's Lone Wolf Kai series. Go take a look. (http://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Home)

Kai Lord
Alignment: Any Good
Hit Die: d8
Class Skills: Climb (Str), Heal (Wis), Jump (Str), Knowledge (history) (Int), Knowledge (local) (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Survival (Wis), Use Magic Device (Cha)
Skill Points at first level: (4 + Int modifier) x4
Skill Points at each additional level: 4 + Int modifier
Class Features: All of the following are class features of the Kai Lord
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A Kai Lord is proficient with all simple weapons plus the longsword, short sword and longbow. Kai Lords are proficient with light armor and shields (except tower shields).
Kai Disciplines: Over a period of time, a Kai Lord develops powers known as Kai Disciplines. At first level, he is skilled in three of the listed Disciplines, gaining an additional Discipline every three levels afterward (4th, 7th, 10th, 13th, 16th, 19th):

> Healing: When in Combat, a Kai Lord regenerates 1d3 hitpoints a round.
> Tracking: A Kai Lord recieves a +2 bonus to his Spot, Listen and Survival checks. He may make a Survival check (DC 15) to determine the safest path in wilderness areas.
> Hunting: +1 to Fortitude saves, +1 to Initiative.
> Sixth Sense: +1 to Reflex saves, +1 to Intiative.
> Mind Over Matter: +1 to Will saves. A Kai Lord can pick any lock of DC 10 or lower as a full-round action.
> Weaponskill: +2 attack with a single weapon he is proficient with chosen when taking this disciple. At 10th level, this discipline adds +1 damage as well.
> Animal Kinship: +4 to Handle Animal. Can speak with friendly animals, and know if an animal is hostile.
> Mindshield: Gives spell resistance equal to 4 + character level.
> Mindblast: A Kai Lord can attack an enemy with his mind while using a weapon. +1 to attack and damage. Cannot be used in conjuction with Weaponskill.
> Camouflage: +3 to Disguise, Hide and Move Silently.

Will of Revenge: At level 3, the Kai Lord gains +5 to saves against fear.

Brotherhood of the Crystal Star's Blessing: At 6th level, the Kai Lord gains 2 additional hitpoints.

Book of the Magnakai: At level 20, you are qualified to rebuild your character as a level 1 Magnakai Lord.

Kai Lord
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Kai Disciplines (3)

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|-

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|Will of Revenge

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Kai Disciplines (4)

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|-

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+2|
+2|Brotherhood of the Crystal Star's Blessing

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+2|
+2|Kai Disciplines (5)

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+2|
+2|-

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+3|
+3|-

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+3|
+3|Kai Disciplines (6)

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+3|
+3|-

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+4|
+4|-

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+4|
+4|Kai Disciplines (7)

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+4|
+4|-

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+5|
+5|-

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+5|
+5|Kai Disciplines (8)

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+5|-

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+6|-

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+6|Kai Disciplines (9)

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+6|Book of the Magnakai[/table]

Magnakai Lord and Kai Grand Master are still in the works.

d13
2009-02-06, 02:09 AM
Full BAB AND +3 to attack rolls with the chosen weapon, 2 good saves, spell resistance, regeneration, speak with the animals, and another ****load of bonuses...

Isn't it a bit TOO powerful?

SHAZAM
2009-02-06, 02:13 AM
> +2. Regeneration only works in combat, so if you lose hitpoints outside of it, tough luck. Speak with animals only works with friendly ones. I'll lower the Reflex save and SR, though. Anything else stick out here?

EDIT: Crystal Star Blessing is reduced from 6 to 2 hitpoints now.

Count Platypus
2009-02-06, 02:41 AM
first, i'd give more options for the disciplines. getting to pick nine from a list of ten isn't too hard. put more choices in, make them stronger, and put requirements on them. that way people will have to dedicate to taking stronger ones well in advance. also, the SR isn't too bad, it's quite low as far as SR goes. most are 10 plus HD. this is four lower that HD. i'd make this one of the ones with requirements, and make it stronger. if you don't want to make it stronger, put a minimum number on it. cause you know someone out there is gonna grab it at first level and fight with their DM about it. i mean, what happens if you have a negative SR? do spells affect you more?

SHAZAM
2009-02-06, 02:48 AM
All right, I'll cap it at 4 + Character level. Concerning the disciplines, their number and strength reflects the source material. They're set up as a learner class, and careful discipline choice is nessecary for most of the Kai Lord adventures, hence no prerequisites.

Also, the current SR doesn't allow negative SR. The minimum was 1.

Hida Reju
2009-02-06, 02:52 AM
I am away from my books but there is already a Lone Wolf RPG for d20 and as I remember I liked the Kai Lord in there quiet a bit. Once I get a chance to look at my books and compair I will be able to judge it better.

Lapak
2009-02-06, 12:41 PM
Concerning the disciplines, their number and strength reflects the source material. They're set up as a learner class, and careful discipline choice is nessecary for most of the Kai Lord adventures, hence no prerequisites.

Also, the current SR doesn't allow negative SR. The minimum was 1.
You can accomplish the 'learner class' and 'careful choice required' methods at the same time by incorporating the Magnakai Lord disciplines into the existing base class. It deals with pre-reqs (it's been a long time, but I SEEM to recall needing the Kai Lord level of an ability to take the advanced discipline?) If not, apply that as a rule here. It means that any given character will only be able to advance a couple of disciplines, which imparts meaningful choice into the class, and also keeps things in line with every other class as a straight-up 20-level structure. A bonus class that starts a new tier of 20 levels is not really going to see much use. Add 'Magnakai Lord' as a class feature at, oh, level 10, and add the greater disciplines in with prerequisites of 'level 10' and 'Kai-Lord level of chosen discipline.'

Zeta Kai
2009-02-06, 02:34 PM
Well, I'm not familiar with the Lone Wolf Kai series, & I haven't vetted the class for polish or balance, but I just wanted to say that I approve of any class by the name of Kai. :smallwink:

ericgrau
2009-02-06, 09:40 PM
Ah brings back memories.

I'd hardly call a magnakai epic. More like "legendary", which is levels 11-20 in d&d. I'd give kai disciplines for levels 1-10, 1 per level, then magnakai disciplines for levels 11-20. For those out of the loop, magnakai disciplines are more or less advanced versions of the kai disciplines. That fits the 20 kai & magnakai ranks too, which likewise provide 1 discipline per rank.

Disciplines
I'd do this, to better match the books and streamline it into d&d:
Healing: Basically lay on hands, plus the heal skill.
Tracking: This is basically the track feat and maybe some knowledge(geography)
Hunting: This encompasses survival, balance and jump. Maybe climb and swim too.
Sixth Sense: (or spider sense :smallbiggrin:) Automatic a forewarning of nearby danger. IMO the DM should give the warning at the last possible moment. i.e., when the PC is 1 round away from the danger. Thus he can stop and (very quitely) warn friends. I'd leave it OP like this since it doesn't help his combat ability at all, except in the surprise round. Just let players take it early then, it has enough coolness.
Mind Over Matter: Mage hand at will (concentration to maintain) + ranged legerdemain, as the arcane trickster. Plus open lock and sleight of hand skills.
Weaponskill: Essentially weapon focus.
Animal Kinship: Essentially handle animal + wild empathy.
Mindshield: A large bonus to will saves (to better fit d&d) or maybe immunity to mind affecting effects below a certain level and immunity to mind blast (to better match the books).
Mindblast: Swift action to deal (1d6?) psychic damage to a target within Short range, will negates or (to better fit the books) anything with any kind of mental protection is immune.
Camouflage: Basically hide and disguise, maybe move silently.
Yeah, some are kinda OP and some are underpowered, but it's the same way in the books. All are (Ex).

For the skill disciplines you could automatically give the PC the appropriate skills as maxed out class skills. Or you could simply remove the disciplines hunting, animal kinship, camouflage, weaponskill and track. Give him wild empathy for free, and the rest can be covered with skill points and feats. Just makes sure he has the right class skills. Now you can give him a discipline every other level. That and the d8 HD makes it easier to justify full BAB, but he may still need a little nerfage. Maybe enforce light or medium armor, not sure how though. Otherwise you may have to make him mid BAB for balance.

Artifact and Magic Items (for kicks :smallsmile:)
Sommerswerd: This +4 cold iron longsword can only be wielded by a kai lord. If anyone else wields it in combat, it loses its powers forever. It deals double damage against undead and enhances the range and detail of Sixth Sense. One per day when exposed to the sun the wielder may spend 2 rounds to fire a blast of energy. The blast has a range Long, detonates in a 40 foot radius, and deals 20d6 damage. Double to undead. All harmful magic targeted at the wielded is instead absorbed by the sword. It is somewhat sentient and will fire small jets of flame at the hands of any unsavory creature holding it, which usually makes the creature drop it. The sword may glow faintly or flames may dance around the blade. The effect is dim underground and more pronounced in the presence of sunlight.
Korlinium Scabbard: Conceals the magic aura and visual effects of any sword sheathed in it, including the Sommerswerd.
Kalte Firesphere: Removing the top half of this sphere immediately produces a never-ending flame equal to a torch in the bottom half. The top half may be returned to stop the flame for better portability.

SHAZAM
2009-02-07, 01:06 AM
Ahia!

Alright, here's the updated class:

Kai Lord
Alignment: Any Good
Hit Die: d8
Class Skills: Climb (Str), Heal (Wis), Jump (Str), Knowledge (history) (Int), Knowledge (local) (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Survival (Wis), Use Magic Device (Cha)
Skill Points at first level: (4 + Int modifier) x4
Skill Points at each additional level: 4 + Int modifier
Class Features: All of the following are class features of the Kai Lord
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A Kai Lord is proficient with all simple weapons plus the longsword, short sword and longbow. Kai Lords are proficient with light armor and shields (except tower shields).
Kai Disciplines: Over a period of time, a Kai Lord develops powers known as Kai Disciplines. At first level, he is skilled in three of the listed Disciplines, gaining an additional Discipline every level until he has all ten:

> Healing: When in Combat, a Kai Lord regenerates 1d3 hitpoints a round.
> Tracking: A Kai Lord recieves a +2 bonus to his Spot, Listen and Survival checks. He may make a Survival check (DC 15) to determine the safest path in wilderness areas.
> Hunting: +1 to Fortitude saves, +1 to Initiative.
> Sixth Sense: +1 to Reflex saves, +1 to Intiative.
> Mind Over Matter: +1 to Will saves. A Kai Lord can pick any lock of DC 10 or lower as a full-round action.
> Weaponskill: The Kai Lord receives +1 attack to a single weapon chosen when taking this disciple.
> Animal Kinship: +4 to Handle Animal. Can speak with friendly animals, and know if an animal is hostile.
> Mindshield: Immunity to fear.
> Mindblast: As a swift action, a Kai Lord may deal 1d4 magic damage to an opponent. This is a [Mind-Affecting] ability.
> Camouflage: +3 to Disguise, Hide and Move Silently.

Book of the Magnakai: At 9th level, a Kai Lord becomes a Magnakai Lord. He gains proficeincy with martial weapons and medium armor. He also gains access to Magnakai Disciplines.

Magnakai Disciplines: Starting at 10th level, the Magnakai Lord begins to learn Magnakai Disciplines, which replace his Kai Disciplines. He learns one every level until he has all ten:

> Curing: A Magnakai Lord regenerates 1d3 hitpoints a round, and can use lay on hands as a Paladin of two levels lower.
> Pathmanship: A Magnakai Lord recieves a +3 bonus to his Spot, Listen and Survival checks. He can make a Survival check (DC 15) to determine the safest path in wilderness areas, and may cast Know Direction at will.
> Huntmastery: +2 to Fortitude saves, +2 to Initiative. You receive the benefits of the Improved Unarmed Strike feat.
> Divination: +2 to Reflex saves, +2 to Intiative. May reroll one skill check 1/day.
> Nexus: +2 to Will saves. A Kai Lord can pick any lock of DC 17 or lower as a swift action. Fire and Cold resistance 5.
> Weaponmastery: +2 attack with all simple and martial weapons.
> Animal Control: +4 to Handle Animal. Can speak with friendly animals, and can cast calm emotions on animals at will.
> Psi-Screen: Gives spell resistance 10, and immunity to mind-affecting effects.
> Psi-Surge: A Magnakai Lord can attack an enemy with his mind while using a weapon. This attack deals 1d8 damage, but the Magnakai Lord loses 4 hitpoints for every round in which this Discipline is used. This is a [Mind-Affecting] ability.
> Invisibility: +3 to Disguise, Hide and Move Silently, and may cast Tongues at will, but only on himself.

Kai Grand Master: At 20th level, The Magnakai Lord qualifies for the Kai Grand Master prestige class

Kai Lord
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Kai Disciplines (3)

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Kai Disciplines (4)