PDA

View Full Version : Theory about V [spoilers]

Zeitgeist
2009-02-06, 03:16 AM
Based on the latest comic, and V's location, V's options are very limited.

I don't know if it has anything to do with his 4 words, but it seems pretty clear that his ONLY option for saving his children would be to enlist the aid of the imp. I don't know what he can do, but I don't think there's much else V can do.

The dragon seemed like a catalyst, I believe, to force V to make a contract with Qarr. If he's an opportunist like he seems to be, there's little doubt Qarr will, knowing V's situation and desperation, make absolutely unreasonable and binding terms in order to agree to help V.

So that's my theory. Too obvious to be true?

Alair
2009-02-06, 03:25 AM
What is Qarr supposed to do? Call in the deus ex machina? Qarr couldn't remotely hope to handle V, V is fresh out high level spells, and the dragon will be making munchies of V's kids in the space of a few minutes.

I'd also suggest that it doesn't matter what Qarr offers, if he really could deliver V would take it, no matter what the cost, and as such they can't be the four words "for the wrong reasons".

Face it, the four words have come and gone.

Firewind
2009-02-06, 03:36 AM
Based on the latest comic, and V's location, V's options are very limited.

I don't know if it has anything to do with his 4 words, but it seems pretty clear that his ONLY option for saving his children would be to enlist the aid of the imp. I don't know what he can do, but I don't think there's much else V can do.

The dragon seemed like a catalyst, I believe, to force V to make a contract with Qarr. If he's an opportunist like he seems to be, there's little doubt Qarr will, knowing V's situation and desperation, make absolutely unreasonable and binding terms in order to agree to help V.

So that's my theory. Too obvious to be true?

V is out of spells capable of killing an Ancient Black Dragon

Qarr is under the effects of Dimensional Anchor and is stuck Fast Healing

There's nothing Qarr or V can do though we have no idea what class/level V's mate is or if there any high level spellcasters in the elf village that can actually fight the Dragon.

TheSummoner
2009-02-06, 03:42 AM
Best case scenerio, the elves can hold the dragon off just long enough for Qarr to call in some big demonic cavalry... Worst case, the dragon gets a nice meal.

Farrago
2009-02-06, 08:18 PM
Since Greater Teleport is cast in an instant, and with the element of surprise I think that after iceing V's mate, slowly eating the kiddies would be an easy enough task because no one is there to call forth a guard, and elven cities, although organized, tend to be spread out a bit. I don't think that Qarr is a DEM, rather, the path to one. V is weeping over his loss and the fact that his kids can't get rezd. Qarr then goes like

"Hey buuuuuuuuuuuuudy. I got a proposition." That proposition being V meeting with some archdemons on the lower planes and agreeing to become somewhat of an indentured servant for a time in exchange for the ability to find the dragon, kill her, and resurrect his kids, though, he's now under control of some devil guy and everything starts going to hell.

Just a thought, of course.

Silverraptor
2009-02-06, 09:25 PM
My opinion is Rich is having fun with are arguments here. But really anything can go. V could actually kill Quar over the fact that he caused him to use up his high level spells. But there's one thing we agree on, V is going to be totally mad in the next few comics.:smallfurious:

Am I right?

MSK
2009-02-06, 09:36 PM
I like how the beat panels at the end are used for pretty much exactly the opposite of comedy.

Silverraptor
2009-02-06, 09:52 PM
I like how the beat panels at the end are used for pretty much exactly the opposite of comedy.

And what does that have to do with this discussion?

Aron Times
2009-02-06, 10:52 PM
I'm not sure Qarr would risk aggravating V even more. V still has more than enough magic to kill him; he probably rolled a natural 20 on his fortitude save against that Disintegrate (failing it would've vaporized him).

But who knows? I'm sure the Giant will think of something.

Zeitgeist
2009-02-07, 12:52 AM
I don't know what spells V has left, and I don't know what Qarr can do to help.

All I know is that a dragon is near V's family, and V is stuck on an island in the middle of nowhere with an imp. Also, it's very likely that V is able to do anything on his own right now.

By those facts alone, I simply narrowed down the options. Either V will do nothing and his family will die (one could argue they could be saved by some other force, but I really doubt it. The Dragon planned well.), or V and Qarr will do something about it.

I can't think of any other outcomes. I didn't decide on specifics, but if the former outcome occurs, it seems likely that some kind of contract will have to follow, since Qarr would likely exploit the chance.

Corwin Weber
2009-02-07, 12:55 AM
V isn't totally powerless here. Sending is a pretty low level spell.

'Take the children and get out now. Drop everything. Dragon coming. V.'

Jade_Tarem
2009-02-07, 01:00 AM
I wonder how far V is from the island where the petrified giant devil is chilling out? V could unpetrify him and have Quarr teleport him over to V's home...

Just a thought.

Zevox
2009-02-07, 01:14 AM
V isn't totally powerless here. Sending is a pretty low level spell.

'Take the children and get out now. Drop everything. Dragon coming. V.'
Actually, Sending is a fifth level spell for Wizards (fourth for Clerics). Given the circumstances, I'd be surprised if V prepared it (what with the whole "voluntary isolation" thing - it's not like she would have anticipated needing to contact someone from a great distance).

Even if she does, this would be useless. The Dragon just used Greater Teleport to go directly to her home. Her family has only as long to live as the Dragon wants them to have. And the spell has a 10-minute casting time, so they'd almost surely be gone by the time V finishes casting it.

Zevox

Zeitgeist
2009-02-15, 05:48 AM
For those of you skeptics of my theory who posted here, thought I'd give it a little *ahem* bump. In light of new information and all. :smallwink:

AgentPaper
2009-02-15, 08:32 AM
Epileptic 4-word tree theory, spoilered because in the rare case that it is true, it would ruin it to know beforehand. (except for me, who would think, "HAH! I knew it!")

Imagine this:

V seems about to sign a pact with the devils-that-be, in order to save his family. However, at the last second, evil feather-pen over evil baby-skin paper, just before he stabs his hand to sign with his own blood, his morality catches up to him, and he refuses to sign, knowing that it would twist him and only cause further woes. Instead, he proclaims, "I will not sign", and attacks the devil-that-be, and is about to lose the battle.

Just then, holy light of the god of magic (whoever that may be) comes down to shield V from the finishing blow, and said god of magic makes V his/her champion on this world, and giving V ultimate arcane power. V incinerates the devil-that-be, teleports himself to his family without pause, and traps the dragon in a cage of force just before it bites down on his loving mate and children.

Of course, the "all the wrong reasons" bit doesn't fit quite right, but hey, it's epileptic, so of course it isn't perfect.

Zerg Cookie
2009-02-15, 09:21 AM
Gods doesn't have UAP, much less the ability to give such power to mortals

Amon Star
2009-02-17, 07:47 AM
Gods doesn't have UAP, much less the ability to give such power to mortals

Who says? Gods have broken the rules before in OotS land, just look at Thor. The Elven gods of magic might do so here.

shadowfox
2009-02-17, 08:08 AM
They're not GODS that V's dealing with; Imps are devils (way different from demons, just in case you're wondering). At the same time, God's don't grant arcane powers.

Devils, in a sense, can.

If there's one word that I really am HOPING gets introduced into V's arcane arsenal, it's the word "Hellfire." Although both divine and arcane (depends on how it's granted), I just want to see V use it because... Well, it has its power, it doesn't count as fire, and I like the name.

Alternatively, I might point out a word: Warlock. Things might take a turn towards 4e. Plus, V's a person that could take advantage of a ranged touch attack every round as a backup for when his more powerful spells run out.