PDA

View Full Version : the perfect fantasy-themed board/card game would have...

Jolly Steve
2009-02-06, 06:31 AM
...what? I'm toying with putting one out some time this year.

Athaniar
2009-02-06, 02:46 PM
Magic. And dragons. And magic dragons.

TheSummoner
2009-02-06, 02:59 PM
Several opposing armies with a solid plot explaining why they would be at war with eachother or why they might form temporary alliances.

Oregano
2009-02-06, 03:12 PM
Political Intrigue as well as epic battles.

Aergoth
2009-02-06, 04:44 PM
Hexes, and height differences.

Comet
2009-02-06, 05:04 PM
Grand adventures. Mystical treasures. Mysterious magics and outlandish gods.
Also polar bears, but that's more of a personal preference.

TheSummoner
2009-02-06, 07:48 PM
building on the polar bear comment... BEAR CAVALRY!!!

Jolly Steve
2009-02-06, 08:10 PM
From the comments so far it sounds like, for most of you, theme is more important than game mechanics, and that you're thinking of a game where each player controls a country-sized group, not a game where each player controls a single character or an adventuring party?

I'm not surprised by the first point, but I am a bit by the second.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-02-06, 09:36 PM
I would personally prefer controlling a single person, rather than an army.

Erloas
2009-02-06, 09:39 PM
I think if you are looking for ideas you should at least give a guideline for what you are thinking about doing. The range of game types can vary greatly while all being in the same genre and certain gameplay types lend themselves towards some ideas and away from others.

The thing about a game is that there is no perfect game, and no single idea that is universally appealing and useful in every gameplay type. The important part is that what you come up with works with itself.

I'm assuming by board/card game you are wanting relatively short stand alone games between 2 or more people, as opposed to a game designed to run for many game sessions and all be connected like most RPGs.

Jolly Steve
2009-02-06, 09:52 PM
I'm assuming by board/card game you are wanting relatively short stand alone games between 2 or more people, as opposed to a game designed to run for many game sessions and all be connected like most RPGs.

That's right. But of course solo playability and a 'campaign mode' would be good too.

TheSummoner
2009-02-06, 09:56 PM
if you're going for a single adventurer rather than lage scale armies, character classes and abilities are always nice.

Jolly Steve
2009-02-06, 10:23 PM
Another question - artwork? Cartoony like OotS? Semi-realistic like in D&D?

That also relates to the question of 'tone'.

Geno9999
2009-02-06, 10:28 PM
Ohohoh! I got it!
Battle Cattle mounts. Why? it's funny.

Comet
2009-02-07, 07:36 AM
I'd say single characters over armies. Would feel more fresh, somehow.
As for tone and such, here is what I would love to play:

The characters are explorers that dive into dark caverns or dimly lit temples or ruined cities or somesuch. They would perhaps compete against one another, or work co-operatively to explore the various corridors and rooms in search of treasure. On the way they would have to pass obstacles like hostile natives, deadly traps or parts of the dungeon that have become sentient beings capable of morphing and altering themselves on will (the corridors keep changing their shape). I'm sure you get the idea.

So, in a nutshell, I'm thinking of a RPG-lite kind of deal. Like the DOOM or the Cthulhu (can't remember it's actual name) boardgames.
When it comes to the visual style, a somewhat dark palette would work well, seeing as we're in a dungeon and all. I've always found illustrations of daring adventures walking slowly and carefully among an inhospitable corridor with only their torches/lamps to light their way very cool.
And if you ask me, no elves or hobbits. Because human's are quite interesting enough.

ufo
2009-02-07, 08:58 AM
Another question - artwork? Cartoony like OotS? Semi-realistic like in D&D?

That also relates to the question of 'tone'.

As you said, this depends on tone. However, judging from your earlier work (Age of Fable?) which was semi-serious with mildly humorous elements, I'd say "exaggerated realistic" artwork.

For example, for the potrayal of Arabic themes, there'd be turbans, large pointy moustaches and sabres all over.

Thane of Fife
2009-02-07, 10:15 AM
The characters are explorers that dive into dark caverns or dimly lit temples or ruined cities or somesuch. They would perhaps compete against one another, or work co-operatively to explore the various corridors and rooms in search of treasure. On the way they would have to pass obstacles like hostile natives, deadly traps or parts of the dungeon that have become sentient beings capable of morphing and altering themselves on will (the corridors keep changing their shape). I'm sure you get the idea.

So, in a nutshell, I'm thinking of a RPG-lite kind of deal. Like the DOOM or the Cthulhu (can't remember it's actual name) boardgames.

You sound like you want to play Descent. It's basically Fantasy Doom.

As for me, I'd like to see a fantasy-civ sort of game. I think that it would be cool to have a board game that ends with you having built a campaign setting.

Istari
2009-02-07, 02:17 PM
I vote armies but with hero level leader characters

toasty
2009-02-07, 10:34 PM
The perfect fantasy game, in my opinion, has everything. It's an RPG because you level up certain characters. perhaps the leader of your army, where you could be given multiple leader possibilities. You'd have the opportunity to give this hero various special weapons and armor as well.

Also, it'd be a city-builder game, you'd have to start with a small village and build it up to a great nation. This nation would have an army, which your leader would command and fight other nations with. Something like a combination of Warhammer 40,000, Settlers and DnD.

Geno9999
2009-02-08, 12:23 PM
A game where anything is possible. Want a fantasy version of a jedi? go ahead. Magic carpets? Sure. Wanna carry a BFS (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BFS)? we can make one that's so tall, it'll make Cloud's sword look like a pocket knife.

Jolly Steve
2009-02-08, 10:25 PM
When it comes to the visual style, a somewhat dark palette would work well, seeing as we're in a dungeon and all. I've always found illustrations of daring adventures walking slowly and carefully among an inhospitable corridor with only their torches/lamps to light their way very cool.

I was thinking of using this set of pictures (which is in the public domain) - what do you think?

http://www.apolitical.info/webgame/images/sewer.jpg