PDA

View Full Version : [Race] Haukea

Fax Celestis
2006-09-28, 02:26 PM
Haukea
Haukea are humanoids who come from the cold southern reaches. They appear as slightly shorter humans with a distinguishing characteristic--a third eye. Haukea have a natural predilection towards both skilled trades and magic.

Alignment: Most Haukea tend towards lawful neutral, due to the strict requirements of their subarctic lifestyle. Adventuring Haukea are more chaotic than normal Haukea, sometimes moving so far as to be chaotic neutral.

Lands: Haukea prefer colder climates and have evolved to handle extremely cold temperatures.

Religion: Most Haukea prefer to worship deities related to heat and cold, such as deities of the sun, of winter, of snow, or of fire.

Language: Haukea speak common as well as their own language, Haukean.

Player Character Haukea
Strength -2, Dexterity +2, Wisdom -2, Charisma +2
Haukea are medium sized.
A Haukea's base land speed is 30 feet.
Humanoid: Haukea are humanoids with the (Kolumaka) subtype.
Third Eye: A Haukea's third eye is not a vestigal organ and provides the following benefits:
Trinocular Vision: A Haukea receives a +2 racial bonus to Spot checks and a +1 racial bonus on ranged attack rolls due to their unique depth perception.
See The Unseen: A Haukea's third eye allows them to see invisible or ethereal creatures and objects within their normal range of vision as if they were not invisible or ethereal. This ability can be used for a total time of five minutes per day, divided however you choose, with each usage taking up a minimum of one minute. In addition, during the use of this ability, the Haukea loses their racial bonus to Spot checks and ranged attack rolls.
Low-Light Vision: A Haukea's third eye also grants them low-light vision.
Stoic Endurance: A Haukea suffers no harm from being in an extremely cold environment as long as they are clothed. They can exist comfortably in temperatures above -30 degrees Farenheit without having to make Fortitude saves. This does not provide any protection against cold damage, nor does it protect against other environmental hazards.
Frigid Adaptation: A Haukea adds +1 to the save DCs of all spells they cast with the (Cold) descriptor.
Automatic languages: Common, Haukean
Bonus Languages: Aquan, Draconic, Dwarven, Halfling, Ignan
Favored Class: Spellthief

Haukea are similar in height, weight, and age ranges to humans.

Fax Celestis
2006-09-28, 05:42 PM
I should note, by the way, that Hawaiian is an awesome language (and probably my newest naming convention). "Haukea" in Hawaiian means "white snow".

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-28, 09:15 PM
It seems to me that these would merit a +2 constitution bonues if they are adapted to living in such a cold environment.

Lykan
2006-09-28, 09:19 PM
It seems to me that these would merit a +2 constitution bonues if they are adapted to living in such a cold environment.
But they don't suffer from the cold untill it's -30 degrees... Would they really be hardy in any other area besides adapting to cold?

Fax Celestis
2006-09-28, 09:51 PM
But they don't suffer from the cold untill it's -30 degrees... Would they really be hardy in any other area besides adapting to cold?
Right. I figured emulating the cold end of the spectrum for Endure Elements was a better choice than a +2 Con. They're not sturdier, hardier, tougher, or more physically hale, they're just resistant to the cold.

knightsaline
2006-09-28, 10:21 PM
does this race have a level adjustment? I mean, giving a whole race the ability to see invisible things seems a bit overpowered. that was the first thing that popped into my head when I finished reading the post.

Fax Celestis
2006-09-28, 11:06 PM
See Invisibility is a third-level spell, and they can't use it for the maximum duration. In additon, they lose out on other racial abilities while using it. I'd say it's not that great.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-28, 11:19 PM
Well, it isn't an [i]ideal[/] +0 LA, but it's definitely not needing a +1. This thing has extra Dexterity and Charisma, though, making it a very, very effective rogue. I'd say spellthief, but I'm working off core and am not sure of what it is exactly.

Fax Celestis
2006-09-28, 11:24 PM
Spellthief excerpt from Complete Adventurer (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050107a&page=1)