PDA

View Full Version : Worst HP rolls ever...

Dyllan
2009-02-06, 03:05 PM
My current level 10 wizard has 37 HP. That wouldn't sound too bad, if you didn't realize that I have a +2 con modifier. And with max HP at the first level, that means I've rolled 13 on 9d4... ouch.

Has anyone ever done worse on HP rolls for that long of a period?

(there's no work to do and I'm very bored at the office)

MammonAzrael
2009-02-06, 03:22 PM
In 2nd edition, I had a Fighter, where for the first 4 levels I rolled a 1 on HP. The 5th level I got a 3. :smallsigh:

He was quite the amusing glass cannon.

Eldariel
2009-02-06, 03:33 PM
See, this is precisely why I use averages in my games. Unfortunately I don't have a story for beating that though. I've gotten 6 points under average in 10 levels, but that's the worst I've had (I've played rolled games before starting with averages).

FatherMalkav
2009-02-06, 03:40 PM
My first ever D&D campaign was a Ruin of Undermountain group. The DM had decided he wanted a level one party, but didn't want to limit his players; this translates into him letting two players take LA for free. The party's two front liners were a Wild Elf Barbarian and Half-Celestial Fighter.

By the time we hit level 10 the Barbarian (who had 14 Con through all levels) ended with 130hp+ due to never rolling under a 10 on a hit die. The fighter though had started at 16 Con and put both ability points into it, ended witgh about 60hp due to never rolling above a 3 on her hit die.

Dyllan
2009-02-06, 03:46 PM
To be fair, I really don't mind the low hit points. I find it an interesting curiosity, and a bit of a challenge - but challenges are what make this fun.

I'd probably care more if I was a melee character.

The real fun part is when you consider that we have a Frenzied Beserker in the party, whose average damage when in full frenzy mode is nearly twice my max HP. Fortuntely, there's usually at least one other PC between me and him, and we now have his will saves to the point that he only needs to roll a 2 to end his frenzy.

Narmoth
2009-02-06, 04:10 PM
Well, I have a paladin/blackguard who can kill himself in 3 rounds. Through clever use of spells, he can get 8d6 extra dmg on each attack he makes, but he pays 15 hp for each. With his 80 hp and 2 attacks at EL 11 he would thus loose 30 hp each round.

monty
2009-02-06, 04:41 PM
he would thus loose 30 hp each round.

What did it do after he loosed it? That typo always annoys me.

Atamasama
2009-02-06, 05:22 PM
I have a Brigand (Kingdoms of Kalamar 3.5e). I use a d8 for my HPs and have a +1 HP bonus from my Con score.

Our DM is generous and lets us roll 2 dice and keep the highest, as well as letting us start with full HP at level 1.

I have consistently rolled terrible with each level. Just last week I reached level 8, and on my 2 dice I rolled a 1 and a 2. With my roll of 2 and my Con bonus, that's 3 HP for what is a melee combat character.

I've calculated that on average I'm getting roughly 5 HPs a level (that's including my bonus HP from Constitution). In theory, a wizard could be getting HP as fast as I am (if he was really, really lucky).

I guess this is karma though. Years ago I was in a 2e game, playing a paladin in Ravenloft. We fought a lot of undead and I had my level drained many times, and fortunately it was restored easily because we had an excess of clerics in the party. Back then if you lost a level you would roll your hit die as usual and then subtract that amount, plus your Con bonus. If restored, you'd roll the hit die again and add that plus your Con bonus. I had my level drained and restored well over a half-dozen times, and by a stroke of luck always rolled low on the drains and high on the restores. I believe I ended up with around 130 HP before I hit level 7.

herrhauptmann
2009-02-07, 12:12 AM
A 3rd edition fighter. 16con, 26 hitpoints at fourth level. With max at first level.

A 2nd edition wizard (not mine), level 14 with 21 hitpoints. No idea what his con was, but couldn't be any higher than a +2 for a non melee.

A 2nd edition fighter, +2 con, having 12 hitpoints at level 3. DM suddenly decided we had to roll each hitdice, including our first level.

On the other hand, current DM says to take max HP every level. Sounded great, then in our 3rd fight, I took over half my HP from a series of spring attacking thieves. Had over 300 at level 15.

grinner666
2009-02-07, 12:46 AM
I once created a 7th-level magic user (1E; no wizards at the time) who rolled 1s for five of his seven levels, one two and one three. He had no CON bonus.

Needless to say, he died quickly.

:smallmad:

herrhauptmann
2009-02-07, 12:51 AM
I once created a 7th-level magic user (1E; no wizards at the time) who rolled 1s for five of his seven levels, one two and one three. He had no CON bonus.

Ouch, this was back in the days of 'you die at 0 HP' too, wasn't it?

grinner666
2009-02-07, 02:21 PM
We had already house-ruled the "unconscious at 0, dead at -10" concept; it had been around for a while and most groups I was in contact with at the time already used it.

Still, first time we came up against ANOTHER magic-user, mine got deep-fried.

:smallyuk:

Narmoth
2009-02-08, 03:29 AM
What did it do after he loosed it? That typo always annoys me.

Well, he wasn't supposed to fight for more than 2 rounds.
Now he has quick spell, enabling him to do standard actions, like cast cure spells as a swift action, so he can heal himself in combat

TheOOB
2009-02-08, 04:43 AM
I use either average or max hp at level up, depending on the feel of the campaign I am looking for.

The idea is that there are many things that are determined by random chance, but that base numbers of your character should never by one of them(I similarly don't do stat rolling).

Bad Situation
2009-02-08, 09:04 PM
My DM gave our group max HP upon level ups. But she liked to max HP on everything so...

EagleWiz
2009-02-08, 09:53 PM
3rd level ranger with 11 con and max hp at 1st lvl. Rolled a 1 and a 1
This party also has a 3rd lvl sorcerer who has more hp then the ranger.