PDA

View Full Version : Miko bookends

Occasional Sage
2009-02-06, 06:48 PM
Setting aside her two panels in 120, Miko's first appearance was when she killed Samantha (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0189.html), the bandit leader. I know you all remember that.

Miko's last appearance was her death scene (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0464.html). I know you all remember that one too. Especially that one.

What struck me today was the symmetry of the two scenes. Has anybody commented on Rich's clever balancing of the two pages, years apart? I'm impressed.

Raging Gene Ray
2009-02-06, 07:00 PM
When I saw the title, I thought it was something for the Arts and Crafts forum, and that you'd actually sculpted/carved bookends.

I thought about it momentarily...Sam and her father were bisected, so was Miko....but bisection at the waist is a pretty common result of being killed by a slashing weapon in the comic.

Back on the topic of literal Miko Bookends...my first thought was chibified versions of her in pre and post fall colors...then I thought they could be the two halves of her body.

Quorothorn
2009-02-06, 07:09 PM
I see two lines in that first one that become rather ironic in the context of the second (and all the rest in-between): the line "Then I will die. But not today." and "The tragedy here is that this could have been avoided if I had just made a Gather Information check instead." Ouch.

Janmorel
2009-02-06, 09:18 PM
Oh man, I would totally buy Bisected Miko bookends if they were available in the online store.

OT: I never thought about the similarities in Samantha's and Miko's death as being particularly profound. But it does have a nice "Lives by the sword, dies by the sword" aspect to it.

Raging Gene Ray
2009-02-06, 09:58 PM
"The tragedy here is that this could have been avoided if I had just made a Gather Information check instead." Ouch.

Never noticed that one...knowing truly is half the battle.

Silverraptor
2009-02-06, 10:02 PM
Oh ouch! I never noticed that either. If Miko actually did a Gather Information Check on the Order of the Stick, she may not have gone all psychopatic.

Great foreshadow Rich!:smallwink: