PDA

View Full Version : Civilization in the playground?

shadow_archmagi
2009-02-06, 07:43 PM
I've always wondered what an online game of civ4 is like. I thought this might be the place to see about russling up some people.

(All online gaming is improved exponentially when you know you'll be seeing these people before and after the game)

Ellimistd
2009-02-10, 09:19 PM
Yay! Civilization! unfortunately, this seems to be a thread for civ 4. I only have civ3. ...dang. I'd be happy for a civ3 game, but i've never managed to get the online service to work. Still, civ is absolutely amazing, easily one of my top 5 favorite games. Some of the mods/scenarios people have made are amazing, to say nothing of the official ones.

Oh, this finally gives me a bit of an excuse to get civ4 though, civ3 has been good enough that I havn't wanted too so far. Any base estimate of how much it+all expansions cost?

charl
2009-02-10, 09:57 PM
I used to play it at LAN parties all the time. I imagine it's a lot like that. It's fairly slow though, so be ready for a few hours of play per game.

Neo
2009-02-11, 07:58 AM
I've also only got Civ3, but the only multiplayer i've done is with good old Civnet.

If i ever get some spare cash i might get Civ4 as its apparently more Civ than Civ3 was.

Brother Oni
2009-02-11, 08:47 AM
Oh, this finally gives me a bit of an excuse to get civ4 though, civ3 has been good enough that I havn't wanted too so far. Any base estimate of how much it+all expansions cost?

I recently picked up my version of Civ4 gold for about 20 UKP, which includes base Civ4, both expansions and a whole bunch of fan mods.

The fan mods are very well done (one turns Civ4 into an X-com style game!), although some can be a little buggy.

I'm personally enjoying Fall from Heaven 2, the sequal to the FfH on the game disk, which makes Civ4 a fantasy world simulator. Spawning skeletons to suicide charge cities before sending in the big hero units to mop up will never get boring. :D

Tygell
2009-02-12, 01:55 PM
I have Civ4 and the expansions and wouldn't mind playing some time. I'm not terribly good though, as I can barely beat the the AI in a normal match on Noble difficulty. Easiest ways to contact me for a game are through Steam or AIM. Tygell and DyingGyraff, respectively.

Doglord
2009-02-13, 01:09 PM
I'm getting xbox live soon, is civ4 the same as civilisation revolution, cos thats the only one Ive got.

Brother Oni
2009-02-13, 08:58 PM
No.

Civ 4 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civ_4) dates back to 2005 and is PC only.

Civ Revolution (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilization_Revolution) is a console only version, is much simpler than Civ 4 and has no fan mods available. According to the wikipedia article, an average game lasts about 3 hours - Civ 4 games can last 10 or more (I've clocked up 20 on one game before, which took me the best part of a month to play).

Diakos
2009-02-13, 09:52 PM
Play it a lot, the Fall from Heaven 2 mod is a BIG recommendation, bloody brilliant.

shadow_archmagi
2009-03-30, 11:35 AM
My apologies for necro-ing this topic, I hadn't really meant to just let it die.

Anyway, how are we all going to meet then? Steam? MSN?