PDA

View Full Version : Diamonds are Forever [Creature, Elemental War]

The Demented One
2006-08-13, 02:18 AM
Surat
Size/Type: Large Elemental (Earth, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 10d8+70 (114 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30 ft.
Armor Class: 22 (-1 size, -1 Dex, +14 natural), touch 8, flatfooted 22
Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+11
Attack: Claw +15 melee (1d6+9)
Full Attack: 4 Claws +15 melee (1d6+9)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Ingest corpse, gemstone healing
Special Qualities: Elemental traits, darkvision 60 ft., tremorsense 60 ft., DR 5/– , earth glide, detect gems, diamond hardness
Saves: Fort +14, Ref +3, Will +2
Abilities: Str 28, Dex 8, Con 24, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 11
Skills: Listen +6, Spot +7
Feats: Power Attack, Improved Overrun, Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes
Environment: Elemental Plane of Earth
Organization: Solitary, pair, or hunting party (1-4 plus 2-6 Large or smaller Earth Elementals)
Challenge Rating: 7
Treasure: No coins, double goods (gems only), no items
Alignment: Often Neutral Evil
Advancement: 11-16 HD (Large), 17-24 HD (Huge), 25-32 HD (Gargantuan)
Level Adjustment: +7

Surats are malevolent hunters, often called diamond-eaters, from the Elemental Plane of Earth. They avariciously devour both precious gems and living flesh–which they convert into precious diamond. They have no need to eat gems to survive, but they crave them ravenously, to the point that they have no qualms in killing sentient creatures to ingest the produced gems. However, when it is more convenient, they prefer to achive this through mining, which leads to the creation of "Surat Shafts", deep mines within the Elemental Plane of Earth often said to be haunted. Surats are roughly humanoid in shape, with four long, clawed arms. Their body is made of black stone, with rough diamonds protruding prominently. The diamonds excreted by Surats are recognizable by the veins of blood-red crystal in them, meaning that, despite their value, even black market fences will rarely deal in them, as they are commonly thought to be cursed.

Ingest Corpse (Ex)
As a full-round action, a Surat may ingest a corpse, destroying it utterly. If the corpse was that of a living creature, the Surat begins digesting it, in a painfully slowly process that takes one week plus one week per 2 HD of the creature. At the end of its digestion, the Surat excretes a diamond worth 50 gp per HD of the digested creature. A Surat may digest only one creature at a time.

Gemstone Healing (Ex)
As a standard action, a Surat may consume a gem. Doing so heals it 1 hp per 50 gp of the gem’s worth.

Earth Glide (Ex)
A Surat can glide through stone, dirt, or almost any other sort of earth except metal as easily as a fish swims through water. Its burrowing leaves behind no tunnel or hole, nor does it create any ripple or other signs of its presence. A move earth spell cast on an area containing a burrowing Surat flings the elemental back 30 feet, stunning the creature for 1 round unless it succeeds on a DC 15 Fortitude save.

Detect Gems (Sp)
As a standard action, a Surat may detect gems. This is a divination effect similar to a detect magic spell, except that it finds only gems. The Surat can scan a 60-degree arc each round: By concentrating for 1 round it knows if there are any gems within the arc; 2 rounds of concentration reveal the exact number of gems; and 3 rounds reveal their exact location, type, and value. This ability is the equivalent of a 2nd-level spell.

Diamond Hardness (Ex)
As a full-round action, a Surat may encase itself in a thick, diamond-like shell. While encased, its speed drops to 5 ft. and its Dex score drops to 1, and it may not attack. However, its natural armor bonus to AC rises by 10, and its DR increases to DR 10/–. It may retract the shell as a full-round action.

Brickwall
2006-08-13, 02:24 AM
Hmm...storing your loved ones in a precious gem? It's even BETTER than the ash-dolls!

I think a thing like this would like Swallow Whole, but that's just me.

So, wait, they just randomly attack people, then eat them?

"I eat peo-ple, cause they taste so goo-ood. I eat peo-ple, like ev'ry monster shou-ould."

The Demented One
2006-08-13, 02:35 AM
So, wait, they just randomly attack people, then eat them?

Not quite. Living flesh provides them with no sustenance, or even pleasure--its just a means to getting delicious, delicious gems. They only hunt when their personal store of gems runs low; and when they do hunt, it is a slow, drawn-out affair. The Surat stalks its prey, gliding beneath its feet, until just...the right....moment.

Gyrfalcon
2006-08-13, 03:15 AM
So what you can do is store one of these in a metal cage, throw in the bodies of high level people you don't like, and take away the gem when it's done converting them. Oh... and feed it semi-precious gems to keep it alive, I suppose.

The Demented One
2006-08-13, 03:21 AM
So what you can do is store one of these in a metal cage, throw in the bodies of high level people you don't like, and take away the gem when it's done converting them. Oh... and feed it semi-precious gems to keep it alive, I suppose.
Until it breaks out...and hoo boy, will it be angry. Also, since it is intelligent, it probably wouldn't eat the corpses you gave to it out of spite. The only eat gems for their taste and healing properties, they have no need of food.

Gyrfalcon
2006-08-13, 06:03 AM
Suspend the cage over a large vat of acid. It breaks out... well... have fun in your acid bath! *taking this from the evil villian standpoint*

And yes, the intelligence is enough for it to say several nasty things to my minions while they try to convince it to eat the level 20 paladin's corpse. *grins*

Elrosth
2006-08-13, 06:09 AM
Hmm...storing your loved ones in a precious gem? It's even BETTER than the ash-dolls!

Yeah. Like I said in the thread about those, I could just see the family come home one day and find out the dog got a hold of the teddy bear... ashes and fluff everywhere...

chaosbrand
2006-08-13, 06:53 AM
Until it breaks out...and hoo boy, will it be angry. Also, since it is intelligent, it probably wouldn't eat the corpses you gave to it out of spite. The only eat gems for their taste and healing properties, they have no need of food.

Thank God for dominate monster! (especially since its Will saves are particularly low, it being an earth elemental and all...)

EDIT - Typo. ::)

martyboy74
2006-08-13, 09:14 AM
What happens if a crysmal comes around while it's in it's diamond shell? Actually, for that matter, which one of them each the other first. After all, they both are and eat crystal.

The Demented One
2006-08-13, 09:40 AM
What happens if a crysmal comes around while it's in it's diamond shell?
It's not actual diamond--just like it. Crysmal would have no effect, Surat would eat the poacher on its territory.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-04, 12:10 AM
MitP Vote: Yes.

Leperflesh
2006-09-10, 10:57 PM
You've posted some stuff in your replies, which you should edit into the first post.

Do that, and you have my
MitP Vote: Yes

-Lep

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-11, 07:44 PM
So...what is a Surat's purpose, then?I like to think that if something is granted sentience, then that means that it has, as a species, a purpose in life. Surats can just do nothing...forever. They can eat gems, but add nothing to the environment in return. That does not sound like a natural creature to me. Unless that's an earth elemental thing.

The Demented One
2006-09-11, 07:50 PM
So...what is a Surat's purpose, then?I like to think that if something is granted sentience, then that means that it has, as a species, a purpose in life. Surats can just do nothing...forever. They can eat gems, but add nothing to the environment in return. That does not sound like a natural creature to me. Unless that's an earth elemental thing.
They can do nothing forever, but they want to. They have no need to eat gems to survive, but they crave them ravenously, to the point that they have no qualms in killing sentient creatures to ingest the produced gems. However, when it is more convenient, they prefer to achive this through mining, which leads to the creation of "Surat Shafts", deep mines within the Elemental Plane of Earth. Now to add this to intro...

fangthane
2006-09-11, 09:43 PM
Looks nifty.

MitP: Yes.

Heck with Dominate Monster, Charm will do the trick nicely enough; it's easy enough to come up with a rationale which infers that if it eats the nasty old paladin and takes a large gem-studded dump for me, I'll feed it some lesser gems and that this is therefore in both our best interests despite not being a perfect bargain.

Edit - And if not, I'll fry its brain. Feeblemind rocks.

The Demented One
2006-09-11, 09:52 PM
Note that, do to a possibly months-long digestion, you'd better hope it fails a lot of Will saves. Also, note that, as stated in the introduction, few will deal in Surat diamonds.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-11, 09:56 PM
In other news, these will help me when I'm almost done with my current monster project that I'm starting alongside my legacy items histories. I think I've finally found a way to disturb you as badly as you've disturbed us, D1.

And no, you can't know what it is yet. Nyah.

The Demented One
2006-09-11, 10:00 PM
In other news, these will help me when I'm almost done with my current monster project that I'm starting alongside my legacy items histories. I think I've finally found a way to disturb you as badly as you've disturbed us, D1.

And no, you can't know what it is yet. Nyah.
Bring it. I'm pretty sure I've become desensitized to just about any horror the internet might have t offer.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-11, 10:02 PM
You'll have to be patient towards the untimely demise of every brain cell contained within your fully corrupted cranium. AP classes, y'know.

The Demented One
2006-09-11, 10:06 PM
You'll have to be patient towards the untimely demise of every brain cell contained within your fully corrupted cranium. AP classes, y'know.
My brain cells died off long ago. I'm running on sheer moxie.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-11, 10:14 PM
But...brain cells are...need...thinkprocessor capacity exceeded. Shutdown sequence initiated.

EDIT: No really, I have found a way to cause you piercing personal pain. Be prepared. Oh and sorry for hijacking your thread, you other guys watching can feel free to critique the creature again.

The Demented One
2006-09-28, 09:56 PM
Bumping this for the Elemental War.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-28, 10:42 PM
I appear to b outnumbered then. Rest assured, my rebutal will be quick and painful for you. I'm currently working on the epic maical beast for the plane of air, so be afraid. We need to set up guidelines to how powerful this thing can be, so no one gets screwed over. More accurately, so Ielenivia doesn't get screwed over.