PDA

View Full Version : Need help with magic [3.5]

MageSparrowhawk
2009-02-07, 01:28 AM
A little while ago, I started building a class. The intention was to create someone who could manipulate magic on a more raw level than even the sorcerer, but at the cost of injury each time a spell was cast. Thus, the Spellshaper (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100899) I have most of the class worked out (at least kinda...) but I have a major problem...the casting mechanic. The one I was messing with can't do what I want it to, and all of the other similar mechanics I've looked at each have their own problems.

So I request, would you, the intelligent and creative members of this forum, help me design a magic system for my class.

The basic feeling that I'm trying to evoke is one of unlimited potential. maybe not at any one point in time, or even for a single character, but the feeling of being able to do anything. Each 'spell' should should have at least a fair degree of possible manipulation. Maybe some kind of actual learning process, not just 'you gain an additional 2 spells each level'. I'm not really sure at this moment...anyone who wants to throw out ideas, go for it.

I have the start of a story focusing on a spellshaper, so if anyone wants an idea of what I'm thinking of in a different way, I'd be happy to send it to you.

mshady
2009-02-07, 01:32 AM
Well... if each time you cast a spell it causes damage, it immediately becomes impractical for a low level magic user. They have no hit points.

I would make it a RISK of hit point damage. Each spell level has a progressively higher Will or Fort save. Will perhaps to even cast; not a huge bother for a mage at any level. Fort to avoid hp damage or avoid hp damage on a failed will save.

Thoughts?
Mike

MageSparrowhawk
2009-02-07, 01:49 AM
the original mechanic was based on a 'psudo-skill check' and each point of failure provided a small amount of subdual damage based on how far down a condition track the character was. I think I'll repost it here for simplicity's sake...

Spellshaping: To cast a spell, you must make a Spellshaping check. A Spellshaping check is similar to a skill check, 1d20+level+Cha modifier. All spells have a base DC of 15.

Every time you cast a spell, make a fortitude save with a DC equal to the Spellshaping DC of the spell or become sickened until the end of your next turn. If you fail the save by 10 or more, you are instead nauseated until the end of your next turn.

Each time you cast a spell, there is a 10%+varies%/point you fail your check chance to move below the initial condition.
{table]Initial condition: 4% chance to move|1 damage/pt failed on check

First failure: 3% chance to move|1d2 subdual/pt failed on check

Second: 2% chance to move|1d4 subdual/pt failed on check

Third: 1% chance to move|1d6 subdual/pt failed on check

Forth: 1% chance to move|1d6 subdual+2 real/pt failed on check

Fifth: 1% chance to move|1 point con/pt failed on check

Final:|1 hour unconsciousness/pt failed[/table]

they have a d8 hit die

MageSparrowhawk
2009-02-09, 11:24 PM
I was pondering on this idea while I was driving home this evening, and I came up with something that might work. On top of that, I don't know if it's ever been done before.

you gain a -very- limited number of spells. Probably something like 1+cha mod at first level, and one every following level. However, you completely build these spells yourself. Something like the Epic spells, but each one will have a variable in it that will 1) allow it to scale, and 2) allow it to fit into my psudo-skill system that I have written up above. It also seems like it would give the feeling of being able to do whatever you want with magic, without running into the problems associated with having to deal with all of those options all the time.

how's that sound? yay/nay? any thoughts/suggestions?

Chokuto
2009-02-14, 09:24 PM
I, for one, liked the thought of a spellcaster that drains himself to cast raw, unaltered magic. Why not use something along the lines of the Warlock or Dragon Fire Adept's innovocations, usable at will, but the take 1d6 - (appropriate mental stat) in lethal damage? And give them poor BAB and a d8 or maybe even a d10 Hit Die? Maybe they can increase the effective-ness of the spell by risking more damage, or possibly fatigue/exhaustion?

MageSparrowhawk
2009-02-15, 04:48 PM
hmmm...interesting idea...maybe...*ponders*

How about, they gain a standard damage-dealing ability that they can apply modifications of? How about...you can determine the strength of the blast, therefore determining your DC. Any other attributes give flat DC increases....like determining element, or making it cling, or shapes, etc.

how's that sound?

what about other effects? Making a wall? shapechanging? etc.