PDA

View Full Version : Favorite 3.5 Class

Farrago
2009-02-07, 02:00 AM
Just a simple question: What is your favorite class to play as?

I don't want this jumping into a "this class is better, here's why," or a ,"no, you idiot, that's a bad idea," kind of thread.

Simply, post your favorite 3.5 class and specifically why you like playing as that class.

For me it's a toss up between Wizard, Bard, or Rogue/Assassin. Wizards for the jackknife spellcasting, Bards for the ability to get what you want by sexing up the crowd, and Rogue/Assassin because I like to be able to ice people and do it effectively, but I find that pure melee like a fighter, paladin, or barbarian lack a certain elegance. Always being evil is a good perk from that combo, both figuratively and proverbially playing as a backstabbing ******* :)

Berserk Monk
2009-02-07, 02:04 AM
Barbarian: best prestige classes (bear warrior/ frenzied berserker) and simplest to play.

JackMage666
2009-02-07, 02:05 AM
In Theory?
Warlocks, Binders, Spelltheifs, and Incarnates

For effectiveness?
Rogues

Ravens_cry
2009-02-07, 02:07 AM
Cleric. I get to heal people, help those who are injured, and with the right buffs, lay the smack down on those who wouldst put hurt to mine companions.
I like that.

Solaris
2009-02-07, 02:12 AM
Fighter. It's the class closest to my real-life profession (doubly so when my DM lets me bring some kind of cannon/othersiegeenginygoodness into that dungeon) and my job in the party can basically be summed up as "Point me at what you want dead."
I like it simple.

Curmudgeon
2009-02-07, 02:25 AM
Barbarian: best prestige classes (bear warrior/ frenzied berserker) and simplest to play. My answer is Rogue, mostly because it's the most complex to play. You've got all sorts of options, and the fun comes in being able to make a character that can function pretty well in all parts of the game, whether it's in social interactions, skills, combat, or (with UMD) even magic. I like a character who can always do something useful more than a character who's great in combat and useless otherwise. That's not easy to accomplish, but it's possible with a Rogue.

tcrudisi
I used to have a toss-up between Bard, Rogue, Wizard (enchanter or illusionist), and Druid. I loved them all.

Then came the PHB 2. With it came the glory of the Beguiler, a class that is the skill monkey of the rogue (with feint built in!), the casting ability of an enchanter/illusionist (except better!), and the social skills of a bard (except with the other class features!) Yes, I was in love.

If only I could have given him the ability to wild shape. /sigh Oh well, I guess everything can't be perfect.... but the Beguiler is close. Oh so very close.

Ascension
Anything with Bluff as a class skill. Having Disguise too helps, but it isn't completely necessary. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: I need Bluff because I try to pull off stuff like this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5733472&postcount=886) on a regular basis. That's Star Wars, of course, but I tend to do the same sort of thing in D&D...

valadil
2009-02-07, 02:31 AM
Sorcerer or Bard. I really hope I get to try a Beguiler before we stop playing 3.5 entirely.

SilverClawShift
2009-02-07, 02:32 AM
Binder.

The binder characters I've had have always been my favorites, and everytime I'm a binder I have an utter blast, even if the campaign isn't going the greatest.

ghost_warlock
2009-02-07, 02:42 AM
Base classes:
1st-place (tied): Psions (egoists) and my own Shadowmage
2nd-place: Wizards (illusionists and transmuters)
3rd-place: Shapeshifter-variant druids
Honorable Mention: Rogues

PrCs:
1st-place: Shadowcraft Mage
2nd-place: Ghostbreaker (3rd-party book)
3rd-place: (Illithid) Slayer
Honorable Mention: Knight Phantom (Eberron)

Really, it usually comes to either trickery or buffing my character magically and following through with a good, old-fashioned beat-down. :smallwink:

BobVosh
2009-02-07, 02:44 AM
Wizard, Rogue, and Barbarian.

lesser_minion
2009-02-07, 02:46 AM
I tend to hover somewhere between sorcerer and cleric.

I like Cloistered Cleric because the class is pretty versatile - and they are the best healers. And squishy casters rule!

As for Sorcerer, well - you can get taken down by a housecat. Squishy casters ftw! Plus, you get loads of spells and you don't have to prepare any of them.

Salvonus
2009-02-07, 02:59 AM
A toss-up between Paladin, Bard, Psion, and Factotum, really... :smallwink:

Jerthanis
2009-02-07, 03:42 AM
The Spirit Shaman has my favorite flavor, and I do like its mechanics alright... but it's hard to beat Swordsage for pure mechanical funitude.

So #1: Spirit Shaman, #2 Swordsage

arguskos
2009-02-07, 03:45 AM
Force Missile Mage!! Oh, wait, base classes? Well, Wizard then!

Tempest Fennac
2009-02-07, 03:50 AM
I like Cleircs best because they are good at healing things (and being able to fight well is useful).

LCR
2009-02-07, 03:54 AM
Beguilers.
Oh why are there no beguilers in 4th edition. Or useful enchantment and illusion spells for that matter.

KKL
2009-02-07, 04:15 AM
Oh why are there no beguilers in 4th edition. Or useful enchantment and illusion spells for that matter.
Patience, young grasshopper.

I like Factotums. They're hilariously fun, and adding Chameleon in just makes it even greater.

Tempest Fennac
2009-02-07, 04:17 AM
I think WotC realised those spells can be incredibly powerful if used properly, which would explain why Illusions only exist as combat spells so far. As for Enchantments, those will probably just cover short-lived effects, such as Command rather then allowing you to Dominate someone for days.

Zergrusheddie
2009-02-07, 04:24 AM
Monk, by far.
I've always liked the idea of a nigh naked Warrior throwing the hurt on more armored opponents. Now if only they were effective.

Vorpal word
2009-02-07, 08:24 AM
I've been wavering between fighter for its flexibility (feats), barbarian for high hp and rages, and monk for speed and acrobatics. I'd like to play a monk/barbarian, but alignment restrictions make that impossible.

Dogmantra
2009-02-07, 08:27 AM
Base class: hmm... Maybe Warlock... or a spontaneous caster.

PrC: I don't care how unoptimal it is: Mystic Theurge. There are so many ways to play it, you can go Sorc/Favoured Soul, Wizard/Druid, Wizard/Cleric, hell, you could probably even go Bard/Paladin!

Grail
2009-02-07, 08:36 AM
Barbarian: best prestige classes (bear warrior/ frenzied berserker) and simplest to play.

I disagree with the sentiment that it is the simplest to play. I'm not going to argue with you on the merits of it (I like them). My wife plyas a Barbarian/Fighter/Frenzied Berserker, and she needs a spreadsheet to keep up to date with game state for her character due to all the different stat modifications that can occur.... and she is definately no dullard.

As to what is my favourite.... I really like Paladins. Holy warriors fighting for a devout cause is very evocative and something that I always love to roleplay if given half a chance.

Bayar
2009-02-07, 08:37 AM
Artificier and Planar Shephard.

Spiryt
2009-02-07, 08:42 AM
Rangers and Barbarian. Or Ranger/Barbarian

Nothing's gonna be better...

Tempest Fennac
2009-02-07, 08:47 AM
Vorpal, there is a Chaos Monk on page 58 of http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Base.pdf which you may find interresting (I dropped the alignment restrictions in my games for Bards, Monks and Barbarians due to not seeing any point in them).

Nohwl
2009-02-07, 10:10 AM
my favorite class is archivist, and my second favorite is cleric.

wadledo
2009-02-07, 10:45 AM
Totemest.

RAWR!

Sucrose
2009-02-07, 10:48 AM
Mine is almost certainly the Warblade. It has a wonderful ability to appeal to my loves of characters with decent Intelligence scores, characters with solid skills (if not fit for skillmonkeydom), and the visceral thrill of melee. It doesn't hurt that maneuvers make melee even more entertaining to me, by giving a bit of resource management.

sebsmith
2009-02-07, 10:57 AM
Ranger, Mystic Ranger looks fun, but I've never gotten a chance to play it.

mikej
2009-02-07, 11:01 AM
Druid...obvious reasons.

Swooper
2009-02-07, 11:28 AM
Mine is almost certainly the Warblade. It has a wonderful ability to appeal to my loves of characters with decent Intelligence scores, characters with solid skills (if not fit for skillmonkeydom), and the visceral thrill of melee. It doesn't hurt that maneuvers make melee even more entertaining to me, by giving a bit of resource management.
Completely agree there. Also, wizard (because everybody loves Batman).

Draz74
2009-02-07, 12:34 PM
My latest love is Dragonfire Adept. Like a caster in combat style, but without either the bookkeeping or the danger of breaking the game.

My ancient and recurring love is the Ranger. I want to try a Swift Hunter sometime.

Harperfan7
2009-02-07, 04:22 PM
Scout.

They have more that I like than any other class. Monk and Transmuter tie for 2nd. Rangers are third.

If you add in the Swiftblade prestige class, a scout/transmuter is absolutely my favorite class. Nothing is better than running around a battle at 90mph stabbing 5 people for precision damage and being damn near impossible to hit.

Morty
2009-02-07, 04:37 PM
Wizards, forever and ever. Killing enemies with knowledge will always be my favorite. Then again, it's not about the killing, it's about having a spellbook chock-full of spells for every occasion. Another good class is the druid, for the "rage of nature" feel. Lately I've also taken a liking for agile warrior types, which are sadly not well-represented in D&D.

Hyfigh
2009-02-07, 05:06 PM
As an optimizer it'll shock some to hear that my list of favorites includes Warlock. I also enjoy Beguilers, Bards, and a variaty of builds that involve all 10 levels of Chameleon. These classes all have a lot of flavor, and fun mechanics.

Eeezee
2009-02-07, 07:07 PM
WTF? I just read Beguiler for the first time. That's just too awesome. I now regret being a sorcerer in my current game, struggling to get by with my d4 hit die and precious few skill points.

d6 hit die
Bonus metamagic (still and silent spell specifically)
can wear light armor, no arcane spell penalty
same number of spells per day
INT based casting
More class skills and more skill points
Plus a bunch of other awesome class abilities that beat the heck out of a familiar

Can cast ANY spell from the Beguiler spells, which includes maybe half of the spells in a sorcerer's "best spells ever" repertoire (Solid Fog, Greater Invisibility, Greater Mirror Image, Haste, Slow, Time Stop, dispel magic, and others), requires no preparation and you simply know ALL of them as soon as you have the spell slots? And on top of that, pick 5 more arcane spells that you think would be useful (Dimension Door, Grease, etc.) and learn THOSE as well!

Perhaps you're not *quite* as powerful as a sorcerer/wizard, but you get all of the flare, a lot of the spells that really matter, and you have the hit die/armor/skills of a rogue. I mean I can see some flaws, but this is ridiculous

grinner666
2009-02-07, 07:36 PM
Druid.

Not just because they can do anything, and do most of it well, though that's part of it. I like the historical and mythical origins of the druid ... in the real world, that is; I hate what TSR and then WotC did to the class's fluff.

I don't think any druid I've ever played has been a frikkin' tree-hugger or eco-terrorist. Instead, they're the most educated members of their tribe(s), having trained for 20+ years to achieve their status, and are the judges, diplomats and protectors-from-the-Otherworld for their people.

Now that is something worth playing.

Oh, and did I mention they're good at anything?

:smallbiggrin:

Eldariel
2009-02-07, 07:39 PM
Absolute favourite? You're asking too much. I'll say...Artificer this time around. But the answer could just as well be Swordsage, Druid, Archivist, Binder, Totemist or Psion. Or Ardent. Or Psychic Warrior. Or Warblade. Or...you get the picture, I'm certain.

Copacetic
2009-02-07, 07:58 PM
Druid's Nice. So is Barbarian. But I Without a doubt, LOVE LOVE LOVE Rogue. Possibly a Rogue/Bard Combo. Sneak Attack and Stealthiness? Win!

Graymayre
2009-02-07, 08:27 PM
Without a doubt, mine is the artificer. Everytime I play as one, I feel like the love-child of Sherlock Holmes and Batman.

prestige class: gray guard. Makes me feel like Liam Neeson.

Llama231
2009-02-07, 08:33 PM
Fighter.
The simpleness is awesomesauce, and the weakness is easily fixed by broken, hombrewed feats.

Egiam
2009-02-07, 09:10 PM
I'd say Rogues and Wizards. Just love the options.

golentan
2009-02-07, 09:11 PM
I like going swordsage, myself. You have a legitimate reason (combo fluff/mechanics) for an intelligent fighter (which means the application of strategy, siege, traps, and other), make a good blaster and awesome warrior (on par with some spellcasters), but aren't as overpowered as say warblade (Seriously, bonus abilities, feats, maneuvers, recovery as part of an attack, full armor proficiency, the ability to retrain weapon specific feats to other weapons (note that exotic WP is weapon specific), and d12 hit dice? WTF???).

Take adaptive style, and you can bust out your moves for several rounds of combat, then take a round to reorient and rest yourself and go for it again. It's fun, it feels cinematic and beautiful, and gives you flexibility and power. I usually go diamond mind and iron heart (My dm is nice and allows us to select which schools our character learns!)

FinalJustice
2009-02-07, 10:05 PM
Warblades and Sorcerers. The pretty boys for meleein' and spellcasting. =D

(For the OPness, major oversights, such as the smallness of the bonus feat list for Warblades and the fact that they don't have Heavy Armor Proficiency. But the 'choose your discipline' can make them deadly. Ditching Stone Dragon for Devoted Spirit and White Raven or Tiger Claw for Shadow Hand can make one a deadly beast.)

Beguiler. Perfectly done class, in both concept and execution. Fun to play, relatively easy. Balanced. Etc.. Etc...

Temp.
2009-02-07, 10:16 PM
Without a doubt, mine is the artificer. Everytime I play as one, I feel like the love-child of Sherlock Holmes and Batman.
It's uncanny. Those were my thoughts exactly.

As far as the metagame (so I can maybe say something different), I'll probably say Lurk. It's an ugly class, usually nothing more than a one-trick pony. I only noticed it because it was the easiest way for me to rebuild an AD&D character I was playing when my group switched systems*.

The class always seems to me like it should be playable somehow--maybe to replicate the Duelist archetype in a playable fashion: crushing single low-Int enemies easily, only facing challenges with groups and intelligent foes--maybe by building on its manifesting with feats and items--maybe by building it into a genuine skillmonkey through multiclassing. I get a kick out of wrestling with the class to make it fit different difficult concepts.

*The next week someone walked in with the PHB2, which immediately trumped it with the Duskblade

Shadowbane
2009-02-07, 10:17 PM
Bard or Wizard. Here's why.

Bard: Close to me in real life. Musician with lots of random knowledge. That's exactly me, except that I'm an information hog with photographic memory. I can come off like a living encyclopedia on a couple of subjects. With high enough INT, that's pretty much the bard.

Wizard: Batman. 'Nuff said.

hotel_papa
2009-02-07, 10:18 PM
I love playing either a Factotum or an Artificer. If I ever get to play a gestalt game.... (shudder)... Excuse me, I need to go clean up.

Recaiden
2009-02-07, 10:19 PM
Warlock, with Psion as a second.

Xenogears
2009-02-08, 12:37 AM
I've been wavering between fighter for its flexibility (feats), barbarian for high hp and rages, and monk for speed and acrobatics. I'd like to play a monk/barbarian, but alignment restrictions make that impossible.

There is the.... Battle Dancer? I think class in the Dragon Compendium that plays mostly like a monk with the except more acrobatic, has to be chaotic, full BAB, and uses CHA instead of WIS.

Moving on to the main topic. My favorite class....hmmmm. Well I can't help but love sorcerers. Charisma to cast magic? Awesome! "I'm so charming I can shoot fireballs."

JaxGaret
2009-02-08, 12:46 AM
Monk, by far.
I've always liked the idea of a nigh naked Warrior throwing the hurt on more armored opponents. Now if only they were effective.

Look no further than the Unarmed Swordsage variant.

My favorite 3.5 class is probably the Spirit Shaman, for its hybrid prep/spont casting mechanics.

I also love the Crusader and Swordsage.

Leon
2009-02-08, 05:30 AM
Sorcerer, Fighter, Druid

Kaihaku
2009-02-08, 05:35 AM
Mystic from the Dragonlance Campaign Setting. It's not the best mechanically but I love the feeling of it.

I also enjoy the Cloistered Cleric variant from Unearthed Arcana, which is more mechanically appealing.

Then, I'm one of the only people I know who enjoys playing dedicated healers.

Graymayre
2009-02-08, 08:54 AM
Look no further than the Unarmed Swordsage variant.

Unarmed... Swordsage...

Unarmed Swordsage

I'm sorry to go off topic but I call shenanigins on that. :smallsmile:

Urthdigger
2009-02-08, 09:02 AM
I tend to like sneaky rogue types the most, but I have to say my all time favorite is wizard, if for no other reason than the look on my DM's face when he asked if I just made my familiar the D&D equivalent of Pikachu.:smallbiggrin:

aje8
2009-02-08, 09:37 AM
Wizard.

Being all powerful is fun.

ericgrau
2009-02-08, 10:58 AM
The sorcerer and the fighter. I'd like to try a monk soon but campaigns have been frustrating this. I've always liked the concepts of rogues and rangers but then I'd really need to find a good campaign to use everything they have. Trying others would be cool too, but for now my faves are sorc and fighter.

IronBear
2009-02-08, 10:59 AM
Basic fighter.
Clean simple killing machine with more feats than I can shake my greatsword at

NeoVid
2009-02-08, 05:35 PM
My favorites are the ones I have the most fun playing, which have turned out to be Psion, Warblade and Cleric.

I still really want to try Beguiler and Factotum, though.

Ricky S
2009-02-08, 05:46 PM
It doesnt matter what class I play as long as it can be a ridiculous race, ie mousefolk, catfolk, ogres and always against the favoured class, ie mousefolk fighter or barbarian, ogre ranger or something really stupid just to piss of my party. My most annoying character was a halfling ranger who could only hits things 50ft away and only did a d6 at level 6

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-02-08, 05:54 PM
On the rare occasions I play rather than DM, I am my group's MacGyver.

Factotum
Bard
Wizard
Artificer
Beguiler
Cloistered Cleric

It is a very rare group where I don't have total combined skill modifiers higher than a Shock Trooper barbarian's damage. :smallbiggrin:

Delaney Gale
2009-02-08, 06:06 PM
I'll have to ring in with multiclass rogues and swordsages.

Multiclass rogues: I love the thought of the intelligent, skillful person making their way in the world by their wits- and they're multitalented, too! Rogue/transmuter and rogue/swashbuckler are by far my favorites.

Swordsages: Delicious fluff, complexity, and martial prowess. Diamond Mind forever!

Lorien077
2009-02-08, 06:12 PM
Psion. Its flexible, and has a lot of awesome feats that come with. Also the whole psicrystal thing is better than a familiar IMO, cause if you don't want it its not like you gave up a class feature for no apparent reason.

RebelRogue
2009-02-08, 06:18 PM
Despite my username it's probably ranger. It used to be wizard, but I got tired of all the bookkeeping...

I'll play most base classes, though. Not too fancy on many of the more exotic ones (mostly because I've never spent the time getting to know them, though).

Pookong
2009-02-08, 06:47 PM
Evoker.
I love the smell of bat guano in the morning. Smells like... victory!

holywhippet
2009-02-08, 07:39 PM
I've got a certain fondness for arcane archer after trying one out in Neverwinter Nights 2.

For a spellcaster it's a waste of a class - even for just the 2 levels to get imbue arrow.

For a ranger with two levels of bard it becomes quite attractive. Not only full BAB progression (aside from the first level of bard) but every odd numbered level of arcane archers gets you another +1 on all your bow attacks even if you are only using a normal bow. That gives you a higher attack bonus than a regular fighter after enough levels. Then you've got the song bonus from your bard levels.

RebelRogue
2009-02-08, 07:52 PM
I've got a certain fondness for arcane archer after trying one out in Neverwinter Nights 2.

For a spellcaster it's a waste of a class - even for just the 2 levels to get imbue arrow.
I'm playing one in a Gestalt game (as a fighter/wizard), where it's pretty good. You still don't want more than 2 levels in it, though.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-02-08, 10:36 PM
I'm playing one in a Gestalt game (as a fighter/wizard), where it's pretty good. You still don't want more than 2 levels in it, though.

Well, if you're putting it on the Fighter side, it could turn out rather well. If you do end up taking the whole 10 levels, you can enchant a bow with +9 worth of special abilities and still have +5 arrows, so you could have up to a +13 bow, and then add in the channel-spells-through-your-bow ability. It's not really to my taste, but if you have gestalt to get rid of the main problem (no casting advancement), AAs are a viable choice to take all 10 levels.

slexlollar89
2009-02-08, 11:08 PM
I have an undyng love for melee charcters with skills. I love rogue/fighters, swashbuckler/rogues, factotums and warlocks

My favorite character ever was Julianos Danathon Tucker Crowlie the "senile" "preist" that used to adventure before he caught syphilis. He was a 113 year old human factotum 3/archivist4 that conned people and stole from his church and waded into combat after he persisted buffed himself... he was sooo fun and a great play... If I could ghestalt him... oh that would be a day to remember!

Assassin89
2009-02-08, 11:30 PM
I have only played three classes. Fighter, Wizard, and Cleric. I prefer playing as a cleric or fighter because my time as a wizard went poorly.

Laudandus
2009-02-09, 12:45 AM
Either wizard or cloistered cleric, because I like the idea of a character who knows a lot of things and translates that into power somehow.

AslanCross
2009-02-09, 02:33 AM
Base Classes:

1. Warblade. I like melee. I like being good in melee. I like being good in melee just because I'm good at it. (Iron Heart).
2. Duskblade. I like melee. I like nova explosions.
3. Artificer. Loot? I don't need loot. I make my own.

Prestige Classes:
1. Ordained Champion (CChamp). It's like a divine version of the Duskblade, or at the very least a non-sucky version of the Warpriest. I really liked the Warpriest because of its art, but its first-level ability didn't seem anywhere as useful as the Ordained Champion's huge stack of first-level abilities.
Specialty: Divine Nova Strikes.
2. Warforged Juggernaut (Eberron Campaign Setting). For melee characters who'd rather not talk.
Specialty: Smashing stuff.
3. Karrnathi Bone Knight (Eberron: Five Nations). What's so awesome about it is that you can actually remain a lawful good paladin while raising armies of undead. You end up sucking a bit as a paladin, but it's still pretty cool.
Specialty: More code ambiguity than the Gray Guard.

Honorable Mention: Ruby Knight Vindicator. It's incredibly powerful, and arguably broken.

Rowan Arquest
2009-02-09, 01:09 PM
Wow, I would have to say Psychic Warrior. FORM OF DOOM! RAAWR!!!! TENTACLE GRAPE (reference). But seriously, I like the idea of a attacker that can augment their abilities, it just works.

Piedmon_Sama
2009-02-09, 01:33 PM
The Fighter will probably be my first and greatest love from D&D. No, it's not ultimately the mightiest class, but the mechanics behind building your Fighter are just intricate enough for me to feel like I have complete customization ability, without having to bother with all the bookkeeping of playing a Wizard. A Fighter can be anything you want.... precise archer, powerful axeman, noble swordsman... but he always remains straightforward and simple in his strengths.

A close second is the Rogue. Just as fun to play as the Fighter (but most fun of all is a crossclass between the two), since he has a practically bottomless bag of tricks (again, WITHOUT keeping track of spell durations, components, etc. which just leaves my brain cold). I'd have to say all my best stories are Rogue stories, about something crazy a Rogue I played did to survive or overcome a seemingly mightier enemy.

Outside of core, the Hexblade and Warlock appeal to me most since they come with an interesting backstory and roleplaying potential just built in. You mean I get to deal with demons? Cool! I can curse people, but still wield a sword? Cool! And I have to also admit the Knight, even though I initially thought the class was stupid and wanted to ban it, has completely grown on me. "You mean you force an enemy to attack you? With no magical compulsion? That doesn't make sense," I thought. And it still doesn't make sense (why would a goblin care about a knight's honor?), but I'm more alright with it now, because leveling your sword at the baddest enemy in the room and screaming "HO, FIEND, HAVE AT THEE!" is awesome.

(I don't actually scream during play).

The Barbarian is a solid class and works quite well into the archetype I like to play. I like the idea of playing a Paladin, but I always seem to fail at it in practice.... Of the three Paladins I've played long-term, well, all of them ended up falling. One for being too obscene (I was 13, whatevs), one for having too much rage (apparently beating a dead Rust Monster to pieces with your fists is dishonorable) and one out of sheer cynicism (this one I actually chose, since his passage to Blackguard and eventually Death Knight was fun and meant to end in him becoming the epic villain of our next campaign).

Of the PrCs, the one I like best is Assassin (and, I guess, Duelist until the Swashbuckler class made it obsolete). I wish it was a little more variable, so you could balance more easily between "backstabbing snake" and "honorable warrior-assassin" archetypes.... but at the end of the day there's a certain, well, prestige that goes with being able to say "yeah, I'm an Assassin," and use the capitalization. Plus you can hum the Iron Maiden song while you're dropping out of the shadows on somebody's head... :smallcool:

Darth Stabber
2009-02-09, 05:44 PM
In core, Bard or Fighter.
Out of Core: Dragon Shaman, Totemist, Duskblade(yeah i don't need a prestige class, I will gish out of the box), and Dread Necromancer(even without Tomb Tainted Soul Cheese(which coincidentaly is a delicious cheese, not the strongest, but tasty)

Stories:
LN Human Dread Necro6

Vehement adherant of We Jas. Did not believe that undead were evil, but believed that Non Lich undead must be controlled lest they cause mindless destruction. She believes liches are exempt due to the fact that they are spellcasters who have learned enough about the undead, and have willingly choosen this path, and are not slave to the desire to consume the living that most other intelligent undead are subject to (example Vampires are victims of other attacks, and thirst strongly after the blood of the innocent)
She had the rest of the party convinced that she was a cleric for a long time, Once I had tomb tainted soul I was never in fear of combat, Until the rogue umd'd me with a cure wand (not knowing the difference). After that I went and bought an Inflict wand and gave it to the rogue and said only this one. Of course the Paladin didn't like me, but after I spent lots of time in character explaining my views he came to see my point....... and promptly fell The fighter then abandoned the church of Pelor and joined the ruby sorceress. Mega roleplay xp ensued. The Paladin then recieved atonement and went on as a paladin of We Jas.

Laughs @ Pain
CN Human Dragon Shaman5 (reflavored to a more generic shaman without attached Dragon flavor)
[spoiler]
Laughs at Pain was a shaman from a tribe to the north that reguarded walruses as it's primary totem. He reluctantly joined a group of adventurers in helping to save a town from a group of bandits (He belives asking for help outside the tribe is a sign of weakness and that cities are hotbeds of corruption) and upon clearing out most of the dungeon He leads a group of the bandits on a chase out of the cave to give his allies a chance to regroup, once he is out of the cave he hides @ the bottom of a lake and Pretends to have drowned (after several bandits drown trying to catch him). He runs back into the cave to discover his friends captured by the BBEG and as he enters the room he proclaims to the BBEG "Sir, the more of the intruders have been chased into the woods, shall we pursue". At any rate the bluff check fails(especially given the lack of disguise), and the character ends up impressing the villian with his audacity. The other characters escape (without me), And I am forced to roll up a new Character(In fact the previous char was actually laughs successor), and Laughs ends up being the Dragon(the trope not the critter) for the BBEG (and the GM had the manerisms down so well you almost couldn't tell that it was someone else playing him). It's really fun to land the finishing blow on your old character.
[spoiler]

Stormageddon
2009-02-09, 06:13 PM
My favorite class is rogue. My favorite PrC is Arcane Trickster. I like the favor of sneaking around and casting powerful spells at people, and still being useful after your spells have run out.

Stormageddon
2009-02-09, 06:20 PM
My favorite class is rogue. My favorite PrC is Arcane Trickster. I like the favor of sneaking around and casting powerful spells at people, and still being useful after your spells have run out.

theguyintherobe
2009-02-09, 10:29 PM
Primarily, I enjoy any class that has something to do with the wild, but bards are nice too.
Hands down, though, Druid. They get amazing spells (which can heal or destroy), an awesome shape-shifting ability (which helps in melee, sneakiness, or just plain bad-assery) and an animal companion to fight for them! The sheer versatility is endless!

Which other class do you get melee, spells and sneakiness? The sole flaw is that druids can't function in an urban society and aren't the most charismatic people.:smallfrown:

Stealthdozer
2009-02-10, 12:53 AM
I’m the tank, usually. I play Fighters mostly. I’ve played every core class except Barbarian, Ranger, or Sorcerer. I realize Druids & Wizards can steal the show. Rogues & Bards are fun too.

I generally play Elf or Half-Elf Fighters, using various Feats. My present Elf Fighter, Reyn, uses Goad & Improved Combat Expertise to absorb & frustrate opponents’ melee attacks. This allows our Rogues & others to dish out damage without taking (much) in return.

I like Elves well enough I suppose. Most of my group is enamored with Elves, & playing a fellow Elf just seems to fit in.

I usually maximize my Craft: Weaponsmith skill. I like to craft my own weapons; & my party’s weapons too. Reyn’s blade is a blued Adamantine long sword with Mithral runic inlays & filigree, & a rosewood hilt. The runes read, in Elven, "I’ve got soul but I’m not a soldier."

Draz74
2009-02-10, 01:38 AM
Which other class do you get melee, spells and sneakiness?

Factotum. :smallcool:

lexcorp026
2009-02-10, 07:45 AM
Favored Soul.

I didn't have to bog down gameplay with minutes of trying to decide what spells I was memorizing, and it wasn't the same paranoia when spontaniously curing that I got when I decided which spell to drop. I felt like I always got more payoff from my spells cast.

Add to that the weapon focus/specialization as freebies and the energy resistance and I had an even easier time building a healer that was a contributing source of melee dps.

Weiser_Cain
2009-02-10, 07:50 AM
Multiclassed Wizard.

mostlyharmful
2009-02-11, 03:05 AM
Nerfed Druid, I love the fluff but having the answers to most every problem within CR range gets boring after a while, useually I just drop AC and don't take Natural Spell and that seems to work.:smallsmile:

Celeres
2009-02-11, 04:16 AM
I like Knights cause i've always been a big fan of tank-like characters.

and my fave prestige class is Dwarven defender, same reason.

Kaiyanwang
2009-02-11, 11:27 AM
I'm a DM 100% of time but my favourite class as "NPCs I like to play", or the class i would play as a player are (in order)

1) Fighter. Fighter Forever. I like the concept, and in the games I play I don't feel it underpowered, BTW (or at least i feel Fighter limited in skills not in class features).

If you have access to a lot of splatbooks, you could built Fighters based on a weapon (we use weapon categories from UA). Maces Fighter, Swords Fighter, Dire Flail Fighter, Sword and Board Fighter, Mounted Fighter, Archer Fighter.

Fighters Can be built on maneuvres. I love players able to elaborate complicated tactics during a full attack action (and the latter alternative class features added a lot of cheese to this. Hooraay!)

Maybe you have to find the right race. A solid stalwart Dwarf? A shock trooper orc? There are so many feats that you can have two fighters built around Combat Reflexes, and one is a solid polearm warrior, refusing to offer a step to the enemy, and the other a swift TWfighter, able in the reactions and sacrifice tactics, as well in rearrange his position in the battlefield.

2) Rogues, because are similar to fighter in character customization. The flavour and the mechanics can vary a lot. A thief, an apotecary, a geisha.

A poisoner, a vicious diplomat, an ambusher. A streetwise man with quick fingers, or a strong assassin able to isolate his victims deceiving them, and then dispatch them with a garrote.

3) Druids. Love flavour, love background, language, spells, everything. An hippie, a nature defender, a bear with lasers. Love, love druids.