PDA

View Full Version : Skill-based d20.....[idea]

Were-Sandwich
2006-09-26, 02:24 PM
D20 as a skill based system. Its possible, and I going to try it. But I'm running into a few problems. Most stuff that comes with levels, like BaB, can be done as a skill (Heavy Blades, Light Blades etc). I'm having trouble with:

Saves
Magic
Hp
Special Abilities (SA, Rage, Various PrC abilities)

And, if I want to do away with levels and classes, I have to do away with feats, unless I come up with a whole new XP system.

So, can someone help me work out the bugs.

EDIT: I am aware of True20. I just can't be bothered to spring ~£20-£30 for something I can come up with myself.

Fax Celestis
2006-09-26, 02:36 PM
Use a White-Wolf-like XP system, spending XP to gain benefits.

Skills are purchased at a rate of 300 xp * current ranks of skill+1.

Split the schools of magic into skills, so you have a Transmutation skill, an Abjuration skill, an Evocation skill, etc. and use skill qualifications (no spells of a level higher than 1/2 your ranks in the associated school).

Feats are purchased at a rate of 1000xp per feat, * 1+number of prerequisite feats.

Class abilities are bought as feats are, with prerequisites equal to the relevant abilities of the originating class. For instance, Sneak Attack +3d6 requires Sneak Attack +2d6 and Sneak Attack +1d6, as well as BAB +3, and would cost 3000xp. Meanwhile, Rage 3/day requires Rage 2/day and Rage 1/day, as well as BAB +8, and would cost 3000xp.

Spellcaster levels are purchased as feats are, with prerequisites as feats. Caster Level 7, for instance, requires Caster Levels 1-6, and would cost 7000xp.

Hit dice are purchased at a rate of 500 xp * Current hit dice for d4s, 700 xp * current hit dice for d6s, 1000 xp * current hit dice for d8s, 1200 xp * current hit dice for d10s, and 1500 xp * current hit dice for d12s.

Were-Sandwich
2006-09-26, 02:41 PM
At the moment, I have got rid of classes, but I still have levels. Your idea sounds good, it was my first plan. My worst problem, is Hp/Magic. I was thinking of having Feats that let you take ranks in Magic skills. Maybe I could scale down the epic level spells system.

Fax Celestis
2006-09-26, 02:51 PM
Who cares about limitations? If some mook wants to plunge all his experience points into caster levels and never increase his hit dice or saves, so be it. Let him beware the day that some idiot trips and smacks him over the head with a beer bottle, killing him.

Similarly, if someone buys up their HP to extraordinary levels but never buys up their BAB, not only will they not be able to meet the requirements of any but the most stringent of feats, but they also won't be able to hit anything.

Caelestion
2006-09-26, 03:55 PM
Someone did an Uber Generics document with a long thread at the Wizards site, converting the generic classes/feats into point buying. Maybe you should check that out!

Squangos
2006-09-26, 04:23 PM
Someone did an Uber Generics document with a long thread at the Wizards site, converting the generic classes/feats into point buying. Maybe you should check that out!
I think I read that one; it did some math that showed Cleric and Druid to be the strongest classes, which was interesting.

Might like My system for magic (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew;action=display;num=11581832 51;start=0#0)… Bit wordy where it shouldn't be, but I feel the idea is sound enough.

Were-Sandwich
2006-09-27, 10:59 AM
That looks interesting.....I was thinking of adapting the Incantation rules from UA. Problem is making it fast enough to calculate to enable you to come up with spells on the fly without having to spend half an hour working it out.

suburbanarcanist
2006-09-27, 05:13 PM
Why would you need a caster level skill when you've got magic school skills? Make the caster level for spells of a given school a function of the ranks in that school.

Were-Sandwich
2006-09-28, 11:15 AM
Why would you need a caster level skill when you've got magic school skills? Make the caster level for spells of a given school a function of the ranks in that school.
What I was going to do.