PDA

View Full Version : V's Family is awesome

AkodoKoji
2009-02-07, 05:44 PM
I have to tip my hat to the giant. The children have ambiguous genders which is awesome and adds to the theory that V is part of some non gender elf species. He makes them dark skinned which means they might be adopted or simply the fact that they are 4th Edition elves (which are often dark skinned.) Add to that the "Parent" and "Other Parent" lines, it just makes the family pure awesome.

Zombie of tap
2009-02-07, 06:08 PM
YEAH!

Please giant, we've only seen them once!:smallfrown::smalleek:

Veriella
2009-02-07, 06:46 PM
I think the family will appear again. Because, when the mother dragon wants to kill them I think there must be a comic where the dragoen and V`s family meet.

One thing I wonder about, do the kids actually know, who`s their Mom and why their Dad?

Gamiress
2009-02-07, 06:56 PM
I think the family will appear again. Because, when the mother dragon wants to kill them I think there must be a comic where the dragoen and V`s family meet.

One thing I wonder about, do the kids actually know, who`s their Mom and why their Dad?

Oh, probably. Remember, the lines in the comic are translated from Elven, in a very academic, literal fashion. The kid could very well be saying the elven equivalents of 'mommy' and 'daddy', we just don't know which is which because the there's an Unreliable Narrator in play in the form of an egghead translator. Likewise, V's mate probably isn't actually saying "Loved One", rather some generic endearment that doesn't have a literal translation.

MickJay
2009-02-07, 06:59 PM

Not really, we might just get to see a smoking crater (or nothing at all).

As for the kids knowing who their mom/dad is, for all its silliness, I still favour the theory that V and his mate simply cross-fertilized each other, and gave birth to one kid each. If snails can do it, why not elves? :smallwink:

Zeful
2009-02-07, 07:20 PM
Oh, probably. Remember, the lines in the comic are translated from Elven, in a very academic, literal fashion. The kid could very well be saying the elven equivalents of 'mommy' and 'daddy', we just don't know which is which because the there's an Unreliable Narrator in play in the form of an egghead translator. Likewise, V's mate probably isn't actually saying "Loved One", rather some generic endearment that doesn't have a literal translation.

I posted elsewhere that it's possible that the elven language has no gender specific words beyond "male" and "female" and the "Parent" "Other-Parent" is in fact the literal translation.

[TS] Shadow
2009-02-07, 07:28 PM
I think that the way that the mate looks and acts is also really well done. I've always seen V as a male, because his mannerisms seem to be a more masculine trait to me. His mate seems to be female to me as well, due to her longer hair and maternal-like nature from what we've seen of her.

Prak
2009-02-07, 08:08 PM
The kicker on that, however, Shadow, is that gender roles are not absolute, you can look at real cultures where gender roles are reversed.

CliveStaples
2009-02-07, 08:16 PM
They are pretty awesome. I can't wait until they're brutally murdered; maybe that'll put an end to the pseudo-intellectual pontificating about gender, and people can stop pretending that this is 'shocking' or 'transgressive' to anyone since the '20s.

Lilivati
2009-02-07, 08:23 PM
Shadow;5743356']I think that the way that the mate looks and acts is also really well done. I've always seen V as a male, because his mannerisms seem to be a more masculine trait to me. His mate seems to be female to me as well, due to her longer hair and maternal-like nature from what we've seen of her.
I had the exact opposite impression upon seeing V's family- for me, it solidified my speculation that V is female and V's mate is male.

However, the real point that's made with the V ambiguity is that sex/gender aren't nearly as significant as we think they are.

CliveStaples
2009-02-07, 08:26 PM
I had the exact opposite impression upon seeing V's family- for me, it solidified my speculation that V is female and V's mate is male.

However, the real point that's made with the V ambiguity is that sex/gender aren't nearly as significant as we think they are.

Does anyone under the age of seventy think otherwise? He might as well be "making the point" that slavery is wrong.

Llama231
2009-02-07, 08:40 PM
Yes.
Totally, utterly, completely, entirely, awesomesauce-age.:smallbiggrin:

Sinewmire
2009-02-08, 07:49 AM
Does anyone under the age of seventy think otherwise? He might as well be "making the point" that slavery is wrong.

He's making a joke, not a point.

umbralspace
2009-02-08, 08:44 AM
both kids are at age 26... yet are still doing macroni pictures?

I know elves live longer, but do they mature slower as well?

*Side-Note* DUDE, i want to be an elf then, thats so many more years of nap time at school

hamishspence
2009-02-08, 08:46 AM
in the Stickverse (and the Zogoniaverse) yes- years in diapers, slow growth.

in 3.5 D&D, in sourcebooks like Races of the Wild, not so much.