PDA

View Full Version : teleport to object

leofish89
2009-02-07, 08:11 PM
my group had the desire to find a way to teleport oneself to an object that they had just thrown. But, the only way we could come up with to pull it off would be to use the gemjump spell, unfortunately it's a level 7 spell. Does anyone know of a simpler way to pull such a feat off? a weapon enhancement perhaps? It doesn't seem like such a complicated procedure that it would have to be restricted to such a limited degree of attainability.

Flickerdart
2009-02-07, 08:17 PM
With a certain reading of Teleport, you can have it take you to the item itself, but it's practically illegal by RAW because an item isn't a location.

If I may inquire, why do you want this? Dimension Door can let you go wherever, not just where you threw a thing, and Teleport has no range limit.

Prometheus
2009-02-07, 08:19 PM
Dimension Door (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dimensionDoor.htm) will certainly let you teleport yourself in a range well beyond throwing distance, at it's a fourth level spell. If you were to customize a spell however, limiting the range to how far you can throw, flat surfaces (in which the object wouldn't roll), and squares to which you can make a touch attack (usually not a big deal AC 5, I believe) than that could easily make the spell a whole spell level lower.

JeminiZero
2009-02-07, 09:58 PM
Furthering the Dim-Door point, there is a reserve feat called Dimensional Jaunt that lets you teleport very short distances at will, and Horizon Walker can get Dim-Door as an SLA every 1d4 rounds at level 6 (or about character level 11). Warlocks have a lesser invocation called flee the scene which is also effectively Dim-Door at will (available at warlock 6).

Another alternative is Swordsage Shadow teleport series, but that is limited to 50 ft, and needs at least a full round action to recharge. But the basic Shadow Jaunt can be accessed as early as level 3 for a pure swordsage, or level 5 with just a 1 swordsage splash.

If you want to teleport in the same round as doing something else, that gets a bit trickier. You either have to quicken Dim-Door (as a spellcaster), or get Horizon Walker/Warlock with quicken SLA. Or else you need Shadow Blink (level 7 of the Swordsage Shadow teleport series) which lets you shift 50 ft as a swift action.

Jack_Simth
2009-02-07, 10:19 PM
Tie a friendly creature to it, and use Benign Transposition (Spell Compendium, I think). VERY low-level trick.

JellyPooga
2009-02-08, 07:37 AM
Tie a friendly creature to it, and use Benign Transposition (Spell Compendium, I think). VERY low-level trick.

Hey, your Familiar just found its purpose in life...:smalltongue:

Prometheus
2009-02-08, 07:22 PM
PC: "Can I have a pet rock as a familiar?"
DM: "..."

Arbitrarity
2009-02-08, 07:28 PM
PC: "Can I have a pet rock as a familiar?"
DM: "..."

WIN.10char

Thrawn183
2009-02-08, 09:19 PM
Get the tiniest earth elemental baby ever.

Ascension
2009-02-08, 09:25 PM
With a flying familiar the tying and throwing aren't even necessary.

How low level is Benign Transposition?

I need to get the Spell Compendium one of these days...

Jack_Simth
2009-02-08, 09:42 PM
Oh, Familiars have Far more uses than that (although most of them amount to standing watch or doing stuff the low-to-mid level rogue in the party would normally handle).

Take, say, a Bat. Without the Wizard putting any ranks into Cross-class skills, it has:
Blindsense-20 (detect 90% of opponents who come within range without a roll)
Low-Light Vision (so as far as your familiar is concerned, that starry sky lights the terrain up as bright as day)
Hide +14 (difficult to spot if it doesn't want to be seen)
Move Silently +6 (I've never quite figured out why a bat has this statistic...)
Spot +8
Listen +8

Basically, the Bat, right out of the box, is as good of a scout as about a 3rd or 4th level Rogue who's spending his feats on other things (and as you can have a familiar at 1st level...). The Rat or Toad are the stealthiest (Rat has +16 Hide, +10 Move Silently, while the Toad has +21 Hide but no Move Silently ... but with the Toad's five-foot move, don't bother), the Hawk has the best Spot check (+16), the Owl has the best Listen check (+14). Any of the flyers (Bat, Hawk, Owl, Raven) are very good at delivering messages (just make sure to bring some parchment, ink, a pen, and a bit of string - and the Raven doesn't even need those supplies, as it can talk).

When you add to that the little bit that your familiar has all the same ranks in skills that you do, it's a cheap +2 Aid Another check on basically any skill you care to try. For casters who actually pick up the stealth skills (Beguiler, Unseen Seer, Arcane Trickster, et cetera) it can actually be very worthwhile to pick up a familiar (even when it costs a feat).

The biggest problem with familiars is the DM wanting to use lethal danger for your familiar as a plot hook, and as it's a game of dice, you WILL lose the familiar eventually due to that aspect (as a side-note, this is the same basic problem with PC's maintaining a stronghold).

With a flying familiar the tying and throwing aren't even necessary.

How low level is Benign Transposition?

I need to get the Spell Compendium one of these days...
It's a first level spell. And you also get the same "no need to throw" effect if you go with a familiar with a Climb speed.