Abjuration (Force)

Level: sorcerer 2, wizard 2
Components: V
Casting time: immediate
Range: personal
Duration: 1 round
Saving throw: none
Spell resistance: none

You call into existance a perfectly small disk of pure force 1 foot in diameter.
The location of the disk must be touching your body, however you may move away from the disk after the initial casting.
The disk lasts only until the end of the currant round, and can be cast at any time.

The disk is capable of being used as an instant shield giving a +2 shield bonus to AC until the end of that round against ranged attacks.

It can also be used to stop an enemy that is charging the caster or otherwise recklessly, stopping the charging character abruptly and causing them to loose their attacks. Any character who is not approaching the character in a reckless manner is immune to this effect.

The disk can also be used to stop movement in a particuar direction momentarily. For example, the caster could attempt to create the disk at her back to avoid being thrown off a building or out a window.

Additionally, a jumping character could jump onto the disk and make an additional jump before the end of the spell.

Moving the disk requires a DC 15 + Caster Level Strength Check. If the disk is moved in any way it dispurses harmlessly. A charging or bull rushing character may attempt this check as a part of his action.

zad101
2006-09-26, 09:42 PM
interesting.
im not good with gauging spell levels though so im not sure if its balanced for a 2nd level spell. but i think its ok.

Elrosth
2006-09-26, 11:08 PM
Was this created for the double-jump topic, or just a coincidence?

I like it. It reminds me of a temporary, weak version of an immovable rod.

Collin152
2006-09-26, 11:10 PM
This is what great stories are made of. I like its concept, really nice. Im not quite sure "instantaneous" is a good way to name the duration. More like, 1 round.

Elrosth
2006-09-26, 11:11 PM
Yeah, instantaneous is basically either permenant or an instant effect, depending on what the spell is. An instant summoning thing would be magic for an instant, and then you'd just have a regular object of whatever it summoned. An instant fire attack would be a flash of heat, gone as soon as it came and leaving only the scorch marks.

TheOOB
2006-09-26, 11:42 PM
The spell needs to allow a save or a check to allow a target to push and move past it. Completetly negating a charge is a little much for a 2nd level spell.

Forai
2006-09-27, 04:21 AM
What's the rules about creating a disk inside of an object though? Otherwise there would be a problem of people creating a disk INSIDE someone. BAM Decapitated, BAM Disarmed, There goes your leg, your skull, your foot. Anything if it's instantly created.

zad101
2006-09-27, 07:40 AM
i would say its like conjuration spells where you can't create the object inside of someone.

Fizban
2006-09-27, 01:42 PM
Hmm, you just finished my idea for my own spell. Something like: immediate action, creates a 5' square wall of force adjacent to your space, lasting one round. Don't know what level it would be though.

While I like the idea for your spell, it's too vague to be adjudicated quickly IMO.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-27, 04:07 PM
Actually, it seems pretty well done in my opinion. The only thing it needs is a duration and a strength check to move or shatter it in a charge. A second level spell would go well for a DC12 to DC15 strength check, I think and duration would be good as 5 rounds/level.

zad101
2006-09-27, 05:10 PM
I'd say 1 round as the duration because this spell is supposed to just instantly stop someone or allow the caster to be stopped by it to avoid falling

Halcyon_Dax
2006-09-27, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the kind words! :D

Edited to include break DC, 1 round duration.

The spell specifically states that the caster has to be touching the location of the initial creation of the disk. Hence, you couldnt form it inside someone (unless you put your hand inside them, and eww).

I suppose that the DM would have to choose what would happen if some fool wizard tried that.

I would rule that at lower levels it would fizzle, at medium levels it would shunt that person harmlessly backwards, out of the space. Perhaps at high levels it could cut flesh for extra excitement! But that is houseruling domain only.

I just enjoy the idea of a young dragon swooping down and roaring and the sorc just sticking his hand inside its mouth and chopping the front off! But that isnt what 2nd level spells do, heh.

This spell is more of a last moment save sort of spell, like, OMG im being thrown out a window! sort of thing.

Edit: haha, Ive had this idea for a while, but the double jump thread did prompt me to post it!