PDA

View Full Version : The gender of Vaarsuvius's kids

Kurald Galain
2009-02-08, 06:39 AM
I'm sure I'm far from the first to spot this, but the kid on the left is the same gender as V (whichever that is) and the one on the right is the same gender as Parent.

You can tell by their color scheme :smallbiggrin:

Klev
2009-02-08, 10:03 AM
How exactly could you point the difference ? As far as I saw the colors go like this:

The kid on the left : hair the same as the Other Parent clothes (dark green) and clothes like V's hair (purple).
The kid on the right: hair the same as V's clothes (red) and clothes like the Other Parent's hair (light green).

So I can't spot the difference, but hey nice detail by Rich I hadn't notice before.

hamishspence
2009-02-08, 10:04 AM
there is a curve on one of them- the one in green- more like a female character like Haley or Celia.

elliott20
2009-02-08, 12:24 PM
oh stop it already! we already have ONE character generating countless number of "guess the gender" threads.

Sholos
2009-02-08, 12:52 PM
oh stop it already! we already have ONE character generating countless number of "guess the gender" threads.

This. It doesn't matter, and we don't need more pointless threads being created.

Rotipher
2009-02-09, 09:01 AM
there is a curve on one of them- the one in green- more like a female character like Haley or Celia.

Curves on a kindergartener? Presumably the kid's just chubby, unless the Giant's making an extremely subtle joke about the inconsistency in D&D elves' reported maturation rates.

MikelaC
2009-02-09, 10:07 AM
The one on the right is clearly a girl, since she did the pretty picture, while the other one is boy, trying to cut in on the credit, even though he did nothing.

Carnivorous_Bea
2009-02-09, 10:28 AM
How exactly could you point the difference ? As far as I saw the colors go like this:

The kid on the left : hair the same as the Other Parent clothes (dark green) and clothes like V's hair (purple).
The kid on the right: hair the same as V's clothes (red) and clothes like the Other Parent's hair (light green).

So I can't spot the difference, but hey nice detail by Rich I hadn't notice before.

Does that color scheme constitute some kind of indication that the kids are, in fact, the biological children of V and his mate, though? :smallsmile:

ufo
2009-02-09, 10:45 AM
The one on the right is clearly a girl, since she did the pretty picture, while the other one is boy, trying to cut in on the credit, even though he did nothing.

Not neccesarily! If you look at the robes, the one on the left's is hanging loose, while the other is sitting more tightly on the body. Therefore, it is entirely possible that the kids might have the same shape, but that we cannot see as a result of their clothing.

The Neoclassic
2009-02-09, 12:20 PM
Honestly, I don't know or really care about the kids' gender. Guesses are fun though, so I will probably keep reading this. :smallbiggrin:

MikelaC's guess made me giggle though. Hopefully this thread stays mildly light-hearted, since guessing the children's genders is even more ridiculously impossible than guessing V's or his/her mate's gender.

This. It doesn't matter, and we don't need more pointless threads being created.

If you think these threads are so pointless, why is this the third in the past day I've seen you post on? You are just showing up to say that you don't approve? You of course have the right to show up on threads and say "This is pointless", leave, and repeat with the next thread on the topic, but that doesn't stop it from being ridiculous... Not to mention as pointless as you claim these threads are, since your statement is very unlikely to stop anyone from starting such threads.

Tyrmatt
2009-02-09, 01:48 PM
Seems pretty obvious to me. One boy, one girl...

Snake-Aes
2009-02-09, 01:51 PM
Their Genders aren't "Male" and "Female", they are "Spicy" and "Crunchy"

Warbull
2009-02-09, 06:19 PM
The question I have is are you asking about sex or gender? Gender is related to language and cultural roles. Sex is determined by what chromosomes you were born with. (Assuming elves have chromosomes.) A human male is an XY and a human female is an XX. No matter what they do, they can not change sex. Gender roles can and often are changed.

(I hate the misuse of the word gender when people mean sex.)

David Argall
2009-02-09, 06:50 PM
The best guess seems to be two girls. Boys overwhelmingly have a square bottom and one has the rounded rear reserved for females while the other seems to be wearing a dress.

However, don't put much money on this point.

Assassin89
2009-02-09, 07:41 PM
I see three possibilities

One male and one female
two males
two females

It would be interesting to see one or each, which would lead to an argument over which is the boy and which is the girl

nleseul
2009-02-09, 08:01 PM

One male and one female
two males
two females

Such a limited imagination you have. :smallwink:

Masterclick
2009-02-09, 08:44 PM

One male and one female
two males
two females

It would be interesting to see one or each, which would lead to an argument over which is the boy and which is the girl

You forgot one; Elves in Giant's world might actually be asexual and just require two members of the species to get together, do whatever elves do, and then the baby elves pop out of nowhere.

enarch3t
2009-02-09, 09:02 PM
I'm pretty sure they're the same gender as V's familiar.

Aris Katsaris
2009-02-09, 09:03 PM
(I hate the misuse of the word gender when people mean sex.)

I hate that the English language has these two different words for the same thing. And I hate the fact some people use the word "gender" to refer to *roles*, thus immortalizing instead of rejecting gender stereotypes. If you want to refer to *cultural roles* then use the word "cultural roles".

And we need the word "gender" to mean "sex", because "sex" is also used as a noun to mean the physical act of sex aka screwing aka boinging aka the horizontal mambo.

As such I'd rather using "gender" to mean the chromosome-related physical trait, and I'll be using "sex" to mean the physical act. Simpler that way. When I want to be talking about roles, you'll know it because I'll be using the word "roles". Again, simpler that way.

Assassin89
2009-02-09, 09:04 PM
Such a limited imagination you have. :smallwink:

I said three possibilities, there may be more, but those three sound the most logical

You forgot one; Elves in Giant's world might actually be asexual and just require two members of the species to get together, do whatever elves do, and then the baby elves pop out of nowhere.
Then explain why half-elves exist.:smalltongue:

Masterclick
2009-02-09, 09:17 PM
Then explain why half-elves exist.:smalltongue:
They're from failed experiments from the elven area 51.
(also, when was the last time someone actually wanted to be a half-elf in your campaign? My DM uses the races we play to create statistics for the number of specific types of races. It is sufficient for me to say there are more half-gnomes than half-elves.

Warbull
2009-02-10, 02:43 PM
So we change the English language to meet your whims? Why reject stereotypes? Stereotypes are for the most part based in truth. You can't escape the bell curve or basic biology.

As for the physical act: copulation, mating, making love, and several words which are probably banned on these boards work as well, should we stop using them?

I hate that the English language has these two different words for the same thing. And I hate the fact some people use the word "gender" to refer to *roles*, thus immortalizing instead of rejecting gender stereotypes. If you want to refer to *cultural roles* then use the word "cultural roles".

And we need the word "gender" to mean "sex", because "sex" is also used as a noun to mean the physical act of sex aka screwing aka boinging aka the horizontal mambo.

As such I'd rather using "gender" to mean the chromosome-related physical trait, and I'll be using "sex" to mean the physical act. Simpler that way. When I want to be talking about roles, you'll know it because I'll be using the word "roles". Again, simpler that way.

Zeful
2009-02-10, 03:28 PM
I hate that the English language has these two different words for the same thing. And I hate the fact some people use the word "gender" to refer to *roles*, thus immortalizing instead of rejecting gender stereotypes. If you want to refer to *cultural roles* then use the word "cultural roles".Sex and gender are not the same thing. Sex is what you have. Gender is how you use it and who you us it with. And Gender Roles (or since you want to be specific Cultural Gender Roles) are how your culture expects you to act based on the above.

And we need the word "gender" to mean "sex", because "sex" is also used as a noun to mean the physical act of sex aka screwing aka boinging aka the horizontal mambo.That's a problem with the entire English language. Too many meanings for too few words, too many homophones.

As such I'd rather using "gender" to mean the chromosome-related physical trait, and I'll be using "sex" to mean the physical act. Simpler that way. When I want to be talking about roles, you'll know it because I'll be using the word "roles". Again, simpler that way.It's also wrong.

Myronas
2009-02-10, 04:30 PM
Stop this. You are unbelievable.
There are many clues indicating Vaarsuvius's sex. The most obvious is his name.

Linkavitch
2009-02-10, 05:00 PM

Ouch. . .And all the guys in the multiverse take a knife to the heart. . .and then the knife is twisted.:smallsmile:

Spiky
2009-02-10, 07:08 PM
Ouch. . .And all the guys in the multiverse take a knife to the heart. . .and then the knife is twisted.:smallsmile:

Funny how that's acceptable when a girl does it. Or someone claiming to be a girl, anyway. Any male using a stereotype about the other gender is immediately attacked without mercy. What a wonderful world.

BTW, gender has only recently changed to mean "roles". Quit changing the meaning of words, some of us are older than 16. I agree with Aris, use the original meanings, not some new PC carp.

Assassin89
2009-02-10, 07:20 PM
(also, when was the last time someone actually wanted to be a half-elf in your campaign? My DM uses the races we play to create statistics for the number of specific types of races. It is sufficient for me to say there are more half-gnomes than half-elves.

A girl in my D&D group is a half-elf rogue, and I want to be a half-elf cleric.

But for elves, we could either continue debating about gender, or ignore the subject and let the comic resolve it.

Rotipher
2009-02-10, 07:43 PM
There are many clues indicating Vaarsuvius's sex. The most obvious is his name.

Oh? So Elvish = Latin?

Fantasy-world names don't necessarily associate the same closing letters or suffixes with a particular gender as IRL names. Frodo Baggins' real first name was "Froda" in Tolkien's universe, IIRC: the appendix to LotR claims that it was 'revised in translation', so that English-speaking readers wouldn't wrongly assume the Ringbearer was female.

The Neoclassic
2009-02-10, 07:46 PM
BTW, gender has only recently changed to mean "roles". Quit changing the meaning of words, some of us are older than 16. I agree with Aris, use the original meanings, not some new PC carp.

Usage Note: Traditionally, gender has been used primarily to refer to the grammatical categories of "masculine," "feminine," and "neuter," but in recent years the word has become well established in its use to refer to sex-based categories, as in phrases such as gender gap and the politics of gender. This usage is supported by the practice of many anthropologists, who reserve sex for reference to biological categories, while using gender to refer to social or cultural categories. According to this rule, one would say The effectiveness of the medication appears to depend on the sex (not gender) of the patient, but In peasant societies, gender (not sex) roles are likely to be more clearly defined. This distinction is useful in principle, but it is by no means widely observed, and considerable variation in usage occurs at all levels.

Why is it that people get angry over "PC" stuff? If we're the really ridiculously oversensitive ones, why do you guys get pissed over our terminology? For me, this has absolutely nothing to do with political correctness but with accuracy of contemporary terminology.

If I said, "My goodness, you seem gay today!", how would you react? Gay meant "happy" for quite some time and has only more recently meant "homosexual" or (even more recently) "stupid." Just because a word used to be used one way doesn't mean that is still the most accurate way of using it. Language changes, and if the change is for increased clarity, I support it.

Seriously, just because a word used to be defined one way doesn't make that "Still the right definition." I don't have a serious Oxford English Dictionary on me, so I can't really look up the history of sex versus gender, but the idea that they can be used interchangably (while in casual conversation generally fine) is only encouraging lazier, less specific language. Now excuse me while I go read "Politics and the English Language." If you've read it and want to argue that it proves your point rather than mine, go for it, just kindly do it in a new thread or via PM so we don't derail this any more.

Funny how that's acceptable when a girl does it. Or someone claiming to be a girl, anyway. Any male using a stereotype about the other gender is immediately attacked without mercy. What a wonderful world.

Huh, I think I would giggle about the same either way. I hear plenty of "girls are dumb/emotional/useless" jokes in real life, and as long as I know they aren't serious, I don't really take them to heart. Just because a few people are nuts doesn't mean everyone is "OMG You said something negative about females!" I think you are seriously overgeneralizing here. Also, by pointing it out you are showing how many people still find it offensive when anyone makes a joke about men. It's not really all that more acceptable.

Yay!

Gamiress
2009-02-10, 08:34 PM
I think we can probably just say the kids are adorable, and leave it at that.

Although, since I don't think Rich will actually kill the kids (V's mate is probably toast though) I'm currently being plagued by depressing imaginary scenarios with the admittedly socially clueless V as a newly single parent trying to console two traumatized children.