PDA

View Full Version : [3.Ina] Some brainstorming.

InaVegt
2009-02-08, 08:38 AM
I'm working on a DnD fork I call 3.Ina (For now), and I'd like to know your comments at the core design concepts.

1. The game should create a heroic low fantasy feel.
2. It needs to be easy to extend the game for others as well as myself.
3. There should be a balance in power and utility between all classes.

--

I'd also like your ideas about some general ideas I have so far.

3d6+mods instead of 1d20+mods for success rolls. 3/18 gives -/+10, 4/17 give -/+5 and 5/16 give -/+2. Degree of success or failure will occasionally matter. (Especially with resisting spells.)

Modified ability modifier rate to decrease the limits of modifiers.

Level cap will be 6, with an e6-like progression following.

Armour will no longer provide AC, instead providing damage reduction, armours will be simplified.

Classes will have different paths, and the amount of effort required to create a new path should be quite easy.

Creating a new path in an existing class should be preferred above creating a new class.

Hybrid classes wil not be created, with this amount of levels, a multiclass character will be capable of fitting an archetype that would previously require a hybrid class.

Multiclassing will be slightly modified. A feat is required to be able to enter a second class. This feat will provide some benefit related to the second class, allowing the character to be effectively multiclassed at first level.

--

Currently, I have the following classes and paths in mind.

Warrior:

Berserker
Captain
Dervish
Gladiator
Hunter
Knight
Scout
Swashbuckler
Thug

Rogue:

Acrobat
Aristocrat
Assassin
Bard
Conman
Cutpurse
Delver
Jester
Spy

Priest:

Chaplain
Cleric
Heretic
Monk
Philanthropist
Prophet
Ritemaster
Sage
Shaman

Mage:

Alchemist
Artificer
Biomancer
Changer
Elementalist
Hedge mage
Herbalist
Warlock
Wizard

I think you can do pretty much every low fantasy archetype with these.

It's also important that I intend to make an NPC version of every class, which can follow all the same paths. These NPC versions would be significantly less powerful, though.

StormingMarcus
2009-02-09, 01:37 PM
I'm working on a DnD fork I call 3.Ina (For now), and I'd like to know your comments at the core design concepts. I'm trying to do quite a same work on an italian forum.

1. The game should create a heroic low fantasy feel.
2. It needs to be easy to extend the game for others as well as myself.
3. There should be a balance in power and utility between all classes. Very good principles.

3d6+mods instead of 1d20+mods for success rolls. 3/18 gives -/+10, 4/17 give -/+5 and 5/16 give -/+2. Degree of success or failure will occasionally matter. (Especially with resisting spells.) Meh, don't like it. If you don't like randomness, just use 3d6 instead of d20. It's simple and elegant.

Modified ability modifier rate to decrease the limits of modifiers. Didn't understand what you mena here.

Level cap will be 6, with an e6-like progression following. Why?

Armour will no longer provide AC, instead providing damage reduction, armours will be simplified. It can be a pain in the crotch, especially with low-damage weapons...

Classes will have different paths, and the amount of effort required to create a new path should be quite easy.
Creating a new path in an existing class should be preferred above creating a new class. Ok, why don't you make a list of abilities for each class and let the players choose them according to their fancies? You would not have to create paths...

Multiclassing will be slightly modified. A feat is required to be able to enter a second class. This feat will provide some benefit related to the second class, allowing the character to be effectively multiclassed at first level. Think it's good.