PDA

View Full Version : Making A Fan Vid

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-02-08, 10:44 AM
Heyas, anyone here have any suggestions on how to go about making a fan video? I have a DVD player on my comp and was wanting to take some scenes from a dvd, add music, etc.

Just wondering what you use to take them off. I have windows movie maker, just don't know how to make a file to open in it.

Llama231
2009-02-08, 01:46 PM
What did you specifically have in mind?

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-02-08, 01:57 PM
Basically what I said, taking scenes from the DVD, clips, etc and playing them to music that goes with them.

Llama231
2009-02-08, 04:00 PM
Sorry, I cannot help you with this sort of thing.:smallfrown:

Om
2009-02-08, 04:34 PM
Here (http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8737150&postcount=43) is a tutorial that I put together on another forum for making a very simple (edit: really, very basic and heavily text driven) 'slideshow + music' for youTube and using Windows Movie Maker. All you really need for a basic vid is images(pic or video), music, and Movie Maker

I've no idea how to incorporate video clips but it should be fairly straightforward (and there are almost certainly tutorials out there on Google) and most of the other points should be the same. Hopefully it will be of some use

Edit: As for actually ripping media, I've heard good things about using FRAPS for games (presumably it would also work while running movies on your PC) but for DVDs you might want to check this tutorial (http://www.wikihow.com/Rip-a-DVD)

Also, I've just checked and using video in Movie Maker looks to be very easy - import the ripped file, as you would with pics or music, drag and pull into the timeline section, and use the Split tool (M) to cut it into your desired segments

Foeofthelance
2009-02-08, 11:31 PM
It is pretty much that easy. There are a variety of free DVD ripping programs available on the internet for download, and it shouldn't be too hard to find one.

I use Windows Movie Maker to make AMVs when I get bored, and it really isn't all that difficult. The above post lists most of the steps, so I'm just going to add a few more pointers.

1) Importing music and video is handled through the Import Media button will import from any folder; under Tasks are buttons dedicated to Movies, Pictures, and Music. It really doesn't matter which you use, as the last three are more for speed/convenience.

2) You can switch to Timeline or Storyboard mode to view the footage you place. The same button controls adding narration, and altering the levels of input from the sound file or the footage file(s).

3) Splitting scenes can be done before or after they are added to the timeline.

4) I don't know if it's common, but I occasionally get a lag when playing back my files if I do it too often. If you're not sure if you're movie is lagging, rewind all the way back to the beginning and watch in full screen mode. It's also easier to catch loose frames that way.

5) Splitting scenes is broken down into a 3-4-3 pattern on frame times.

6) AVI files are better quality to publish to then MPEG, but MPEG are smaller and thus easier to upload to youtube.

An example of a video made using Windows Movie Maker:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qsBUwwQQEQ&feature=channel_page

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-02-09, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the help guys, finally got it going! Just waiting for it to process...

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-02-11, 02:53 PM
And here it is: Highway To Awe (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT2ToT4Cyr0)

Criticism welcome... though if you've not seen The Fountain it probably won't make much sense.

Om
2009-02-11, 05:24 PM
Well the video didn't make much sense but the music was fantastic. Perfectly chosen :smallsmile:

The video editing was very well done but I have a question about the video soundtrack. Did you mute the video before applying the music track? (If so, how?) The original comes through in places but I'm not sure if that was by design or not

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-02-11, 05:42 PM
Well the video didn't make much sense but the music was fantastic.
Yeah, you'd have to see the movie to understand. Basically he and his wife like have different lives through the film... it's hard to explain if you haven't seen it.

The video editing was very well done but I have a question about the video soundtrack. Did you mute the video before applying the music track? (If so, how?) The original comes through in places but I'm not sure if that was by design or not
I figured out how to turn the sound completely off for the video after I was mostly done, but as the few parts it was audible enough to even notice it seemed to enhance it rather than deter so I just left it as is.