PDA

View Full Version : SR and SC Discussion: Back to the main plot

Silverraptor
2009-02-08, 12:44 PM
All this debate about V's family's fate is absolutly facinating. However, this debate over the outcome of V's family seems to make everyone miserable on whats going to happen.

So I decided that we can try to discuss about the main plot about the gates until the new comic comes out. Therefore, it can pass the time without the dread we feel.

Back at the plot; We lost 3 out of 5 gates. That means there are 2 left.
Girard's Gate which we know is under endless illusions.
Kraagor's gate which the halfling filled with a bunch of monsters.

Considering the location of each gate. GG in desert. KG in Winter area. We can try and guess what is guarding them.

So what kind of illusions do u guys think GG consists of?
And what other monsters live in snowy areas apart from the purple worms?

Any thoughts?

hamishspence
2009-02-08, 12:54 PM
I'm wondering if Kraagor's gate is near Durkons' old home (shown as mountainous and snowy in Origin)

It might segue into Durkon's "How will I return home?" "Posthumously"

and possibly into:
origin spoiler:
"When he returns, he will bring disaster for us all."

Niley
2009-02-08, 12:56 PM
Well, we don't know what will happen. We can only speculate. Or dream. And I prefer dreaming.

Regarding Girard's Gate... well, I always wanted to see this: the OotS against illusory OotS. Which means Belkar vs Belkar, Roy vs Roy etc. And I expect some illusions that would aim at intruders' sanity, or something.

And Kraagor's/Serini's Gate? Well, that's just a buncha monsters. So let's expect a huuuuuuge dungeon crawl, Dungeon-of-Dorukan-style!

Silverraptor
2009-02-08, 12:58 PM
Aren't there a list of illusions in the player's handbook that we could look up? I'll look up some snowy monsters from MM I and II. Anyone have the other MM's?

hamishspence
2009-02-08, 01:16 PM
Most of the MMs are sparse on winter creatures (Fiend Folio has a few)

MM III: Mastodon
MM IV: Thrym Hound

For cold environments in great depth, there is Frostburn.

Silverraptor
2009-02-08, 01:21 PM
Ok I skimmed through the MM 1 and found some candidates that are as likely as they are unlikely. First are some Dire Animals and I think its safe to say we all agree on them being there.

Then there is the possibility of a White Dragon. Now whether the White dragon would help because it's evil is up to Rich.

Then would there be dwarfs guarding the gate? Because Lirian's Gate had some elves helping her guard it with all the animals, do u guys expect something simular?

Finnally, I saw that the "Beholder"s perfered environment are cold hills. However, we saw the beholder in OOTS in #32. The whole 1 eye abomination with tenticles with eyes out the top of its head. It was because of the lawyers that it didn't make an apperance in #33, as was the script next to it.

So what are the odds?

hamishspence
2009-02-08, 01:25 PM
possible. Yetis are traditional cold monsters (present in Icewind Dale trilogy)

Also, the Frost Worm and Remorhaz.

Hands_Of_Blue
2009-02-08, 04:27 PM
Aren't there a list of illusions in the player's handbook that we could look up? I'll look up some snowy monsters from MM I and II. Anyone have the other MM's?It doesn't need to be snowy monsters since Serini said she was going to get monsters from all over the world (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0277.html) to inhabit the tomb.

Rotipher
2009-02-09, 09:19 AM
Well, there's one threat we can be pretty sure they'll encounter at Girard's Gate, that is going to be genuine: Xykon's going there next, too. Roy's botched question to the Oracle proved that.

High time, too. I've missed the old boy's Stupid BBEG Tricks.

Tyrmatt
2009-02-09, 01:51 PM
And I expect some illusions that would aim at intruders' sanity, or something.

I'm seeing Roy in a room full of Elan's...instant mindbreak.

Optimystik
2009-02-09, 01:55 PM
High time, too. I've missed the old boy's Stupid BBEG Tricks.

Xykon is many things, but stupid he is not. Well, aside from fireballing spirits anyway.

Silverraptor
2009-02-09, 02:44 PM
I'm seeing Roy in a room full of Elan's...instant mindbreak.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA*Gasp* hehehehehe. True...very true. That is probably 1 illusion to expect. hehe:smallbiggrin:

SteveMB
2009-02-09, 03:23 PM
Xykon is many things, but stupid he is not. Well, aside from fireballing spirits anyway.

Xykon isn't stupid, exactly -- more like mentally lazy.

Silverraptor
2009-02-09, 04:43 PM
Ya, at the end of "Start of Darkness" I was both shocked and creeped out at how intellegent Xykon can be when he wants. He actually scared me and made me pity Redcloak.