PDA

View Full Version : Shifter Feats

The Demented One
2009-02-08, 10:25 PM
I'm making a character who's a Shifter struggling against lycanthropic affliction, and came up with these feats for him. Figured I'd post them here.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/roe_gallery/88240.jpg

Afflicted Shifter [Shifter]
Your inner beast is uncontrollable, both a bane and boon to you.
Requirements: Shifter, 1st level only
Benefit: While shifting, you gain a +2 morale bonus to a physical ability score of your choice, born from manic frenzy. You may choose which ability score to grant this bonus to every time you begin shifting. For every shifter feat other than this one that you have, the bonus increases by +2, to a maximum of +2 or half your character level, whichever is higher. In addition, whenever your hit points fall below (5 x your character level), you automatically begin shifting, without having to spend a daily use of the ability. This only occurs once per encounter at most.

However, you also loose yourself to your inner beast while shifting. Each round, you must attack a creature if there are any viable targets. If there are no enemies to attack, you must attack an ally, unless you successfully make a DC 20 Will save. In addition, whenever your shifting ends, you take damage equal to your character level. A DC 20 Fortitude save makes the damage nonlethal.

Behemoth Fury [Shifter]
Your shifting frenzy causes you to grow into a giant, bolstered by the power of your inner beast.
Requirements: Two other shifter feats
Benefit: Whenever you begin shifting, you may expend a single additional daily use of shifting. If you do, you grow one size for the duration of the shifting, as the enlarge person spell.

Primal Instincts [Shifter]
In combat, you fight instinctively, your inner beast taking over.
Requirements: Afflicted Shifter, must be capable of initiating martial maneuvers
Benefit: Your DM chooses three 1st-level martial maneuvers and three maneuvers of the highest level you are capable of initiating, drawn from any disciplines they see fit. Every time you gain a level, the DM replaces any three of these maneuvers with maneuvers of one level higher, up to the highest level of maneuver you can initiate.

Every time you begin shifting, you are granted a randomly determined maneuver from this DM-chosen pool, which is readied in addition to your other maneuvers. Once you expend that maneuver, you cannot recover it, but you are granted another maneuver from the pool at the beginning of your next round. Once all of the maneuvers granted by this ability have been expended, they are all recovered and you are immediately granted one at random.

watsyurname529
2009-02-09, 08:49 PM
This are quite nice. Once again I like Eberron. The only thing is Primal Instincts may be a little overpowered on first glance. However I would need to see it play tested to actually tell.

Otherwise, nice job.

The Demented One
2009-02-09, 09:41 PM
This are quite nice. Once again I like Eberron. The only thing is Primal Instincts may be a little overpowered on first glance. However I would need to see it play tested to actually tell.

Otherwise, nice job.
I'm going to be doing just that. The whole constantly-refreshing does make it better than Martial Study, but the fact that the player has no control over what maneuver he uses, and the fact that half the maneuvers are substantially lower than the level the player will normally have readied, help negate that.

Stycotl
2009-02-10, 11:59 AM
I'm making a character who's a Shifter struggling against lycanthropic affliction, and came up with these feats for him. Figured I'd post them here.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/roe_gallery/88240.jpg

Afflicted Shifter [Shifter]
Your inner beast is uncontrollable, both a bane and boon to you.
Requirements: Shifter, 1st level only
Benefit: While shifting, you gain a +2 morale bonus to a physical ability score of your choice, born from manic frenzy. You may choose which ability score to grant this bonus to every time you begin shifting. For every shifter feat other than this one that you have, the bonus increases by +2, to a maximum of +2 or half your character level, whichever is higher. In addition, whenever your hit points fall below (5 x your character level), you automatically begin shifting, without having to spend a daily use of the ability. This only occurs once per encounter at most.

However, you also loose yourself to your inner beast while shifting. Each round, you must attack a creature if there are any viable targets. If there are no enemies to attack, you must attack an ally, unless you successfully make a DC 20 Will save. In addition, whenever your shifting ends, you take damage equal to your character level. A DC 20 Fortitude save makes the damage nonlethal.

was this on purpose (see bolded part)? i am guessing not...

Behemoth Fury [Shifter]
Your shifting frenzy causes you to grow into a giant, bolstered by the power of your inner beast.
Requirements: Two other shifter feats
Benefit: Whenever you begin shifting, you may expend a single additional daily use of shifting. If you do, you grow one size for the duration of the shifting, as the enlarge person spell.

cool. not too bad. i might give a level prereq here; say 3rd level or so. but it does have an extra expenditure, so it might be fine.

Primal Instincts [Shifter]
In combat, you fight instinctively, your inner beast taking over.
Requirements: Afflicted Shifter, must be capable of initiating martial maneuvers
Benefit: Your DM chooses three 1st-level martial maneuvers and three maneuvers of the highest level you are capable of initiating, drawn from any disciplines they see fit. Every time you gain a level, the DM replaces any three of these maneuvers with maneuvers of one level higher, up to the highest level of maneuver you can initiate.

Every time you begin shifting, you are granted a randomly determined maneuver from this DM-chosen pool, which is readied in addition to your other maneuvers. Once you expend that maneuver, you cannot recover it, but you are granted another maneuver from the pool at the beginning of your next round. Once all of the maneuvers granted by this ability have been expended, they are all recovered and you are immediately granted one at random.

confusing.

also, too powerful, i think. i would make it a 6th or 12th level prereq. granted, maneuvers scale to level, but just the fact that he no has 6 extra maneuvers known makes it almost the equivalent of a dip in swordsage.

i'd either tone it down, or up the prereqs. either way, i suppose you should playtest it before anything.

i really like them though, and the first one has immediate application in one of my games. the second might also, and the third depends on how it is resolved.

good job. aaron out.