PDA

View Full Version : True20

slexlollar89
2009-02-08, 10:45 PM
Hey playgrounders.

I was browsing the net lookng for information about Pathfinder when I came across something about true20. a short wikipedia trip and some stops around the systems homepage led to my eventual download of the system.

I've read most of the rules and even gotten some of the extra setting and options material that Green Ronin published as part of the True20 set. A lot of the things I see there are similar to houserules I implement in my homebrew 3.5 games and setting-in-progress, but I wanted to know what other people think of the system as well.

Has anybody played this system? what did you think about it? How does it compare to DnD 3.5 (or other systems you've played)? Also, any general advice about making the switch to this sytem would be apreciated (I like what I see, but am aprehensive about giving up up my 3.5 :smalleek:).

Draz74
2009-02-09, 12:44 PM
I haven't played it, but I've researched it some.

It's the basis for Mutants and Masterminds, which is extremely highly-acclaimed by huge numbers of people.

It's supposed to be a very easy ruleset to work with, a little more rules-light than D&D.

The damage system (a condition track) is the one thing people say isn't very simple at all. It got simplified in M&M and is still more complicated than HP IMHO. I've seen several people who like everything else about True20 complain about this. Besides its wacky bookkeeping, the damage condition system also tends to produce a spiral of death that makes combat more lethal in True20 than in D&D, but some people actually like that aspect of it. Depends on personal preference.