PDA

View Full Version : What I want from Smallville

ondonaflash
2009-02-09, 01:58 AM
So I just watched the latest episode of Smallville, at this point in time the episode was Requiem, and I was thinking, as I have often thought, that the episode desperately needs a BATMAN cameo. They've had appearances from dozens of villains, the latest being the Toyman, many, many JLA members, but I want me some Bats, possibly even a Star Cameo from Christian
Mother-****ing Bale himself. It would be great, my geek-gasm would be earth shattering.

WitchSlayer
2009-02-09, 04:59 AM
I don't want a Batman cameo. Especially one from Christian Bale because.. How would that work time line wise?? At all?

Revlid
2009-02-09, 09:26 AM
Look, the math is quite simple.

Good + Bad = Meh.
Therefore,
BaleBatman + Smallville = Meh.

The Nolanverse is spectacular and great. Smallville is the sort of thing I'd rather apply liberal disinfectant to before dissecting it for the good parts and throwing the rest away. There need be no crossover. If anything, a quarantine is called for.

And more to the point - how in the hell would you persuade Christian Bale to get on board?

On that note. (http://www.cracked.com/blog/excerpts-from-shane-hurlbuts-set-journal/)

GoC
2009-02-09, 10:40 AM
The Nolanverse is spectacular and great. Smallville is the sort of thing I'd rather apply liberal disinfectant to before dissecting it for the good parts and throwing the rest away. There need be no crossover. If anything, a quarantine is called for.

I agree. It stopped being good sometime near the beginning of season 5 and seasons 6+ where unwatchable.

KnightDisciple
2009-02-09, 10:57 AM

Good + Bad = Meh.
Therefore,

And more to the point - how in the hell would you persuade Christian Bale to get on board?

On that note. (http://www.cracked.com/blog/excerpts-from-shane-hurlbuts-set-journal/)

On the Smallville/Batman crossover: I've long thought it ought to have been done in some way. I think it would work best with a not-quite-Batman Bruce.
But no Bale; Bale looks too old, honestly, and he's ingrained in the public psyche as Batman already fully operating, not Bruce Wayne still building up to that point.

On the Bale "flipout": I won't make excuses for the man, but I will say that, having listened to that tirade, he sounded less like a stuck-up celebrity, and more like a dude who hasn't had enough sleep, is already stressed, and just had something set him off. *Shrugs* Everyone has bad days, and I've taken to understand he's apologized to everyone involved, and that him and the lighting/photography guy are cool now.

Oregano
2009-02-09, 11:18 AM
I think the main problem would be if Bale stood next to Tom Welling it would show that Tom Welling is actually 30 odd instead of in his early twenties.

I think Smallville went downhill after Season Four but it's been retooled now into Lois & Clark: The Early Years rather than Superman: The Early Years.

ondonaflash
2009-02-09, 05:09 PM
I think the main problem would be if Bale stood next to Tom Welling it would show that Tom Welling is actually 30 odd instead of in his early twenties.

I think Smallville went downhill after Season Four but it's been retooled now into Lois & Clark: The Early Years rather than Superman: The Early Years.

Ewww, good point...

And yeah, Smallville went through a few weird parts, but to be honest, they had me back full throttle the episode that the Martian Manhunter made an appearance. (3 point alliteration!). What's going to be interesting though, is seeing how they deal with the fact that everybody who's ever seen Clark has ALREADY seen him without glasses, so when he becomes Superman it will all be like "Oh yeah, check out Clark's cape".

Vic_Sage
2009-02-10, 12:05 AM
Oh god please no, I do not want Bats to be in the show in any way, shape, or form.

charl
2009-02-10, 12:18 AM
Batman already is in the show in all but name. I can't be the only one who has realized that Green Arrow in Smallville fills Batman's role in the Superman saga: the ordinary man who works so hard to try and stop cruelty and violence, sometimes breaking law to do it. This vigilante is so frustrated watching Superman wasting his incredible powers by simply not having the willingness to do what Batman does that he eventually can't put up with Supes until he changes his way and starts doing good for real.

I'm assuming the reason why the actual Batman isn't in is because 1) they can't because of copyright issues because DC or the studio wants to be able to make a pure Batman series later (Gotham, if you will) or because of the movies, and 2) a proper Batman would outshine Smallville Clark Kent and move the focus of the series. So they use Green Arrow instead.

ondonaflash
2009-02-10, 01:17 AM
though to be FAIR the Green Arrow kills people, whereas the modern batman does not. Though the eighties batman DID kill people, like a lot of them. In fact I seem to remember Micheal Keaton bombing a factoring then throwing the ONLY black henchman down an elevator shaft.

chiasaur11
2009-02-10, 01:19 AM
though to be FAIR the Green Arrow kills people, whereas the modern batman does not. Though the eighties batman DID kill people, like a lot of them. In fact I seem to remember Micheal Keaton bombing a factoring then throwing the ONLY black henchman down an elevator shaft.

Comic Batman still didn't kill.

Hasn't ('cept Darkseid who, as the god of EVIL, and since he didn't die, doesn't count) killed since the 30s or the 40s.

charl
2009-02-10, 01:50 AM

He does kill, but that doesn't mean he can't play the same role as Batman, being Superman's opposite as a superhero.

ondonaflash
2009-02-10, 02:18 AM

Hasn't ('cept Darkseid who, as the god of EVIL, and since he didn't die, doesn't count) killed since the 30s or the 40s.

*Sigh* kind of makes me wish for some good, old-fashioned, real vigilante justice, where they just grab a gun, put on a mask and kill whoever gets in the way.

Revlid
2009-02-10, 02:48 AM
*Sigh* kind of makes me wish for some good, old-fashioned, real vigilante justice, where they just grab a gun, put on a mask and kill whoever gets in the way.

Well, Marvel's many such titles aside, DC has a character like this. He's called Vigilante, conveniently enough, and his powers are a mask and a few guns. (not the old, Western-style one. A legacy 'hero'. Nightwing jobbed to him on his first appearance, and he appears to be both EXTREME and TO THE MAX, which has led to some sceptism on my part.)

charl
2009-02-10, 02:52 AM
The thing about the DCU is that heroes don't kill. Period. It sort of defines it.

kpenguin
2009-02-10, 02:54 AM
Wonder Woman kills.

WitchSlayer
2009-02-10, 04:36 AM
Wonder Woman kills.

And Superman has killed. Green Lanterns can kill. Green Arrow killed. Flash has killed. Aquaman doesn't have any objection to killing. That's pretty much all of the Justice League except Batman. Batman is the really the only one who won't kill under any condition.

charl
2009-02-10, 04:45 AM
I have to admit that I haven't read that much DCU, but if you compare it to Marvel then earth-616 is a fracking warzone.

GoC
2009-02-10, 07:33 AM
And Superman has killed. Green Lanterns can kill. Green Arrow killed. Flash has killed. Aquaman doesn't have any objection to killing. That's pretty much all of the Justice League except Batman. Batman is the really the only one who won't kill under any condition.

Batman has killed. In fact they only claim not to kill but they'll generally kill off minor villains and mooks without too much angst.

Cheesegear
2009-02-10, 07:44 AM
I don't think Batman should be in Smallville at all. It'd fudge too much stuff up. Plus, all the geek-gasms that would happen would - in a way - force the producers/writers to keep bringing him back. At some point, Batman goes off the rails (like he always does)... And we all know how a Bats vs. Supes fight ends up.

Personally, I'd see introducing Batman as an extremely desperate move. They've done some pretty cool things over the years (Justice was awsome. But, Aquaman was still pretty useless :smallamused:), but, Batman would not be awesome. It crosses a line and would reek of fanservice. I'm already sick of Kara.

Given the way the show is run; I'd much prefer to see Nightwing. Continuity be damned.

Slade would be better. Slade is awesome. More awesome than a Batman cameo could ever be.

Kaihaku
2009-02-10, 08:13 AM

False. The original Detective Comics Batman killed.

Revlid
2009-02-10, 11:03 AM

DisContinuity. Don't even try to claim that's the same character as the current Batman.

GoC
2009-02-10, 01:22 PM
Slade would be better. Slade is awesome. More awesome than a Batman cameo could ever be.

He'd kill off half the cast... I like it.:smallamused:

Closet_Skeleton
2009-02-10, 01:42 PM

Good + Bad = Meh.
Therefore,

Dark Knight had an awesome villain but Batman Begins wasn't that great*and had a illogical plot (it melts the water in the sewers but not in the people standing next to it?).

*it was better than the two that preceded it of course but not really any better than Burton's attempts apart from in its violence.

chiasaur11
2009-02-10, 05:30 PM

As I mentioned in that post.

See the "Since the 30s or 40s" bit?

Cheesegear
2009-02-10, 08:33 PM
{Slade}'d kill off half the cast... I like it. :smallamused:

Exactly. :smallamused: Maybe it's just me, but Deathstroke is way more awesome than Deadpool.

If Slade is in it (which would be awesome, and doesn't reek of fanservice at all), you could also possibly introduce a version of Robin; considering the age of the 'main characters', I think a Nightwing version would be best.

And, like the Teen Titans series, Robin/Nightwing could just make a bunch of references and hints to Batman (for the fans), whilst never actually saying Batman.

Batman/Bruce making a physical appearance in Smallville would be a terrible idea.

chiasaur11
2009-02-10, 08:39 PM
Exactly. :smallamused: Maybe it's just me, but Deathstroke is way more awesome than Deadpool.

And Deadshot beats them both.

Seriously. Man smart mouths Amanda "The Wall" Waller. That, my friends, takes guts.

Revlid
2009-02-11, 02:47 PM
Dark Knight had an awesome villain but Batman Begins wasn't that great*and had a illogical plot (it melts the water in the sewers but not in the people standing next to it?).

I'm not sure what your quibble is here. You can't melt water - it already is a liquid. It was a hallucinogenic, but it wasn't acid. (lazy pun)

I disagree. (http://community.livejournal.com/scans_daily/2558820.html)

Valdar
2009-02-11, 03:08 PM
There's no way we'll see either Batman or Wonder Woman on the show. Those properties are way too hot to throw at Smallville.

Yeah, Green Arrow is obviously Ghetto Batman. Does that mean Black Canary is Ghetto Robin? They're both birds =)

Speaking of:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117993158.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

Cheesegear
2009-02-11, 08:15 PM
I disagree. (http://community.livejournal.com/scans_daily/2558820.html)

Is it sad that I knew that image/panel was going to show up before I even clicked it? ...And you'll notice that Deadpool isn't the one that takes him down... :smallamused:
Anyway, when the universe isn't all screwed up, people crap their pants when Slade/Deathstroke shows up. It takes roughly half the Justice Leage (albeit, not Supes, Bats or WW) to take him down during Identity Crisis. Not to mention all the other crazy crap he pulls off.

Deadpool, is a joke. Barely anyone in his universe (Marvel) take him seriously. He's funny. Not awesome. I see a difference between the two.

As we all know, Green Arrow is already in Smallville. Easily fitting in the Oliver/Slade feud.

zeratul
2009-02-11, 08:21 PM
Maybe it's just me, but no one is more awesome than Deadpool.

Fixed that for you :smallamused:

Ascension
2009-02-11, 08:51 PM
Is it sad that I knew that image/panel was going to show up before I even clicked it?

I thought it was going to be the "Captain America respects his vegetarian friends... Deadpool ties them up and force-feeds them potted meat"* one.

*I'm paraphrasing, I can't remember the exact wording and I keep forgetting to actually save it to my computer.

Pretty much all I know about Slade is Shortpacked!'s jokes about his pedophiliac hard-on for Teen Titans Robin... so I basically just see him as a supervillain incarnation of NAMBLA.

Cheesegear
2009-02-11, 09:36 PM
Pretty much all I know about Slade is Shortpacked!'s jokes about his pedophiliac hard-on for Teen Titans Robin...

You mean as opposed to Batman's?

ondonaflash
2009-02-11, 09:56 PM
DIGRESSION!

Slade would be kind of a neat Smallville villian though, or Deathstroke, whichever name you know him by. Both are equally applicable. Deathpool would make a BAD Smallville villain because he's a Marvel character. People would get confused. It would make no sense, there'd be chaos and destruction. People on the street feasting on the flesh of the innocent. Madness I say.

zeratul
2009-02-11, 10:17 PM
Is it sad that I knew that image/panel was going to show up before I even clicked it? ...And you'll notice that Deadpool isn't the one that takes him down... :smallamused:
Anyway, when the universe isn't all screwed up, people crap their pants when Slade/Deathstroke shows up. It takes roughly half the Justice Leage (albeit, not Supes, Bats or WW) to take him down during Identity Crisis. Not to mention all the other crazy crap he pulls off.

Deadpool, is a joke. Barely anyone in his universe (Marvel) take him seriously. He's funny. Not awesome. I see a difference between the two.

As we all know, Green Arrow is already in Smallville. Easily fitting in the Oliver/Slade feud.

He is fairly awesome as well I would say, Although primarily a comedic character, he's beaten wolverine and other powerful characters in the past and has had some serious moments throughout his career. So despite the comedic aspect he can still kick a whole lot of ass.

Ascension
2009-02-11, 10:21 PM
You mean as opposed to Batman's?

See, with Batman it's like with your Greco-Roman historical figures... you either learn to accept their quirks or ignore them. But with Slade, at least as portrayed in Shortpacked!, it's like with modern NAMBLA members... you either make jokes about them or revile them.

Revlid
2009-02-12, 07:17 AM

See, that's the thing. A lot of people view Deadpool as joke. Those with any kind of know-how in the merc business know to take him very seriously. He's fought Wolverine, practically the be-all-and-end-all of melee combatants, three times, and lost once. This loss consisted of provoking Wolverine into attacking him (via Shoryukening a teenage girl) and then letting him stab him repeatedly (there was a reason behind it, iirc).

Put it this way - The Cat and Shang Chi are considered to be among the absolute best among martial artists in the Marvel Universe, superhuman abilities aside. Taskmaster narrowly defeats The Cat in a tournament. This places him in the top five-three in terms of combat skill. An unarmed Deadpool has beaten a fully-armed Taskmaster with his arms and legs tied together.

The only real difference between Deathstroke and Deadpool in terms of competence and power is that Deathstroke is a professional. This is perhaps illustrated best when Norman Osborne is threatened by Deadpool in Dark Reign. Knowing what he can do, he sends the Thunderbolts after him. Yes, all of them.

Actually, it's probably demonstrated more literally when Deadpool confronts the leaders of a couple-of-dozen militaries, agencies and organizations. One of them tells them that they all know he's the best. He's the best damn mercenary in the world - but that won't mean a thing until he starts acting like a professional.

Now, I won't argue that Deathstroke's not more Badass. He is. But Badass/=/Awesome. Awesome is a combination of character traits and Awesome moments that can't fully be quantified. Probably the closest thing to a distillation of Awesome is Nextwave.