PDA

View Full Version : Chain Spell + expensive material components.

Aquillion
2009-02-09, 05:38 AM
Hey, if I apply the Chain Spell metamagic to a spell with an XP cost or expensive material component, do I only have to pay the cost once? If so, are there any good ways to take advantage of this?

Additionally, as a related question, can I Chain Spell a spell such as Enlarge or Reduce Person, then follow up with Permanency to make all copies of it permanent while paying the cost only once?

Fan
2009-02-09, 05:40 AM
I think you'd have to pay for the spell eacyh time you did it.
At least thats how things SHOULD work as if not its a hella broken combo.

Jack_Simth
2009-02-09, 08:15 AM
Technically? Something like a Chained (Reach (Nondetection)) technically only costs you the component once. But then, Chain Spell is also a +3 Metamagic, so you're looking at a 6th level equivalent spell. Compare Scrying to Greater Scrying - it's probably fair enough in the most cases, so long as you're not bypassing the level adjustment (such as with the MIC metamagic rod for it, the Incantatrix PrC, Divine Metamagic, or similar).

Permanency, specifically? Technically, looks like it does only cost you once ... unless you read the tables as "per spell" (adding the costs together - you make Enlarge Person Permanent on ten people? You pay the XP cost ten times (once per spell per person)) which would be reasonably fair.