PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Pigments

afroakuma
2009-02-09, 08:50 AM
In a move that has nothing to do with either D&D or Valentine's Day, I've grown curious:

What would you call the following mixtures?

{table=head]Color|Black|Blue|Green|Red|White
Black|Black
Blue|Navy|Blue
Green|||Green
Red||Purple||Red
White|Gray|||Pink|White[/table]

{table=head]Color|Brass|Bronze|Copper|Gold|Silver
Brass|Brass
Bronze||Bronze
Copper|||Copper
Gold|Ormolu||Tumbaga|Gold
Silver||||Electrum|Silver[/table]

Heliomance
2009-02-09, 08:53 AM
Nothing to do with D&D, huh? So the fact that they're all dragon colours is a complete coincidence?

Personally, I'd probably call them a "Half X dragon Half Y dragon"

kamikasei
2009-02-09, 08:56 AM
Do you want actual colour names ("Cyan Dragon"), or good-sounding names to give them in a game world?

Black|Black
Blue|Navy|Blue
Green|Forest|Cyan|Green
Red|Crimson|Purple|Eyesore|Red
White|Grey|Cerulean|Sea|Pink|White[/table]

Brass|Brass
Bronze||Bronze
Copper|||Copper
Gold|||Tumbaga|Gold
Silver|||Sterling|Electrum|Silver[/table]

The metallics are a bit tricky since brass and bronze are both alloys of copper to start with...

bosssmiley
2009-02-09, 09:07 AM
Brass + Gold = Ormolu
Gold + Silver = Electrum (obv.)

@kamikasei: "Eyesore"?

Ashes
2009-02-09, 09:11 AM
Haha, the Eyesore Dragon, I want to see that! :smallbiggrin:

kamikasei
2009-02-09, 09:21 AM
@kamikasei: "Eyesore"?

Red and green pigments don't mix. I was forgetting that as lights they produce yellow... so, yellow dragon I guess.

Ascension
2009-02-09, 09:34 AM
I thought red and green made brown?

afroakuma
2009-02-09, 09:43 AM
Concurred w/brown. Updated the table of things that have nothing to do with dragons getting it on for the fourteenth.

kamikasei
2009-02-09, 09:46 AM
I thought red and green made brown?

They should make black (or grey), but in practice usually make brown. Now stop pointing out I'm wrong! That might lead to me admitting error and learning something, and we can't have such tomfoolery on the Internet.

Magnor Criol
2009-02-09, 10:07 AM
Concurred w/brown. Updated the table of things that have nothing to do with dragons getting it on for the fourteenth.

This statement is further backed up by the fact that you posted it in the gaming forum. =p

valadil
2009-02-09, 10:26 AM
Green/black = pine, hunter green, or forest green.
Red/black = maroon.
Blue/green = teal or torquiose
Blue/white = sky blue / azure
Green/red = brown (although if you're doing additive mixing they form yellow)
Green/white = Oxidized copper?

Dunno about the metallics. Green/copper would be pretty cool looking methinks.

Athaniar
2009-02-09, 11:15 AM
Being an RGB fanatic, I say Red+Green=Yellow. Also, Green+Blue=Cyan, and Red+Blue=Magenta (fear the Magenta Dragon!). If you add White, it's "light" before the other color, and Black becomes "dark" (for example, the Dark Blue Dragon).

Fax Celestis
2009-02-09, 12:21 PM
Black|Black | Jet | Obsidian | Garnet | Moonstone
Blue|Jet|Blue|Turquoise|Amethyst|Sapphire
Green| Obsidian| Turquoise| Green| Jasper| Emerald
Red| Garnet| Amethyst| Jasper| Red| Quartz
White| Moonstone| Sapphire| Emerald| Quartz| White[/table]
I am at a total loss for the metallics, though.

afroakuma
2009-02-09, 12:24 PM
I'm trying to avoid "Navy," as that's largely derived from... well, obviously, there's no "navy blue" in D&D.

How about "ultramarine?"

Also, "N Green" is really what we're trying to avoid here. Someone's going to stare at the intimidating lizard, trying to figure out if "Dark" was merely an adjective or actually indicative of a subspecies.

MammonAzrael
2009-02-09, 12:46 PM
"Watch out Bill, a dark Green Dragon is attacking!"
"Oh Gods no!...wait, did you say Dark Green, or dark, green?"
"What are you talking about? I said dark green! Run!"
"Well, if it's a dark, Green Dragon it'll be immune to acid, but if it's a Dark Green Dragon it won't be."
"You're insane!" *flees*
"But I've got all this acid over here, and I need to know if I can use it to kill it or not!" *Bill is eaten by a Green Dragon of unknown shading.*

Fax Celestis
2009-02-09, 02:28 PM
*takes another stab at it*

{table=head]Color | Black | Blue | Green | Red | White | Brass | Bronze | Copper | Gold | Silver
Black | Black | Jet | Obsidian | Garnet | Moonstone | Zinc | Patina | Durestral | Coal | Adamantine
Blue | Jet | Blue | Turquoise | Amethyst | Sapphire | Lapis | Tanzanite | Alexandrite | Mudstone | Argryric
Green | Obsidian| Turquoise | Green | Jasper | Emerald | Aquamarine | Bloodstone | Malachite | Chrysoprase | Jade
Red | Garnet | Amethyst | Jasper | Red | Sardonyx | Gunmetal | Coral | Amber | Ruby | Sunstone
White | Moonstone | Sapphire | Emerald | Sardonyx | White | Chrysoberyl | Topaz | Citrine | White Gold | Platinum
Brass | Zinc | Lapis | Aquamarine | Gunmetal | Chrysoberyl | Brass | Chalcedony | Quartz | Agate | Mithril
Bronze | Patina | Tanzanite | Bloodstone | Coral | Topaz | Chalcedony | Bronze | Tin | Tourmaline | Hematite
Copper | Durestral | Alexandrite | Malachite | Amber | Citrine | Quartz | Tin | Copper | Tumbaga | Sterling
Gold | Coal | Mudstone | Chrysoprase | Ruby | White Gold | Agate | Tourmaline | Tumbaga | Gold | Electrum
Silver | Adamantine | Argryric | Jade | Sunstone | Platinum | Mithril | Hematite | Sterling | Electrum | Silver[/table]

True Dragons are bolded. Pseudotrue dragons (those that can breed only with their own species (to produce the same type) or their parent species (to produce the parent's type)) are italicized. Other dragons are only fertile when breeding with their own types.

afroakuma
2009-02-09, 02:34 PM
Impressive table, Fax!

The only problem is that several of your choices are actual gem dragons (amethyst, emerald, sapphire). Also, why did you go for "White Gold" instead of "Platinum" or "Palladium?"

Well, you've all given me enough to go off with. If only I were actually going somewhere with this, like some sort of bizarre dragon crossbreed thing for Valentine's Day... yeah, if only...

Fax Celestis
2009-02-09, 02:40 PM
The only problem is that several of your choices are actual gem dragons (amethyst, emerald, sapphire). Pshaw. Those gem dragons are a mockery of true dragonhood. Ignore them.

Also, why did you go for "White Gold" instead of "Platinum" or "Palladium?" Because I thought the White + Gold = White Gold inside joke was better than being technically accurate.

afroakuma
2009-02-09, 03:35 PM
Pshaw. Those gem dragons are a mockery of true dragonhood. Ignore them.

Sorry; I was raised on the 2.5 Monstrous Manual (which, ironically, looked less monstrous by far than 3.5's Monster Manual) and believe that all dragons, including mercury, cloud, mist, brown, shadow and yellow, are real.

Because I thought the White + Gold = White Gold inside joke was better than being technically accurate.

I should have guessed. :smalltongue:

Fax Celestis
2009-02-09, 03:43 PM
Sorry; I was raised on the 2.5 Monstrous Manual (which, ironically, looked less monstrous by far than 3.5's Monster Manual) and believe that all dragons, including mercury, cloud, mist, brown, shadow and yellow, are real.

I should have guessed. :smalltongue:

Well, you could probably sub in the MM-II Gem Dragons onto the above board with little issue, and qualify them as true dragons simply by merit of breeding true.

And the others you listed? Just find a similar-looking substance and swap something in (say, hematite for mercury, yellow for topaz, shadow for durestral, etc).

afroakuma
2009-02-09, 03:48 PM
Just one question, Fax: why did you go with substances for all of them?

Fax Celestis
2009-02-09, 03:54 PM
Just one question, Fax: why did you go with substances for all of them?

Colors, to me, are merely abstract substances or are components of other substances. Therefore, the derivatives of colors would themselves similarly be substances (abstract or otherwise).

Prometheus
2009-02-09, 05:03 PM
This is what a little bit of browsing Wikipedia's list of alloys uncovered

Brass|Brass
Bronze|Gunmetal|Bronze
Copper|Gilding|Florentine|Copper
Gold|Pinchbeck|Ormolu|Tumbaga|Gold
Silver|Chinese|Corinthian|Billon|Electrum|Silver[/table]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilding_metal: a descriptive rather than named name.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ormolu Moved from Brass to Bronze
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunmetal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinchbeck_(alloy): looks like gold, but contains none. Also uses a RL name, but plausible
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florentine_bronze: Needs more copper. Contains the name of a RL place, but plausible
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corinthian_bronze: Composition guessed from description, no sample exists. Contains the name of a RL place, but plausible
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_silver:Has much more nickel and cobalt than silver. Very obviously RL.

Perhaps the proper nouns can be replaced with well racial names. So Florentine=Elvish, Corinthian=Dwarfs (just because they need to have an alloy), and Chinese=Kobold's (or Goblin's). Pinchbeck is probably okay, but I guess Bigby, Mordenkainen, Elminster, Robilar, Tenser, Vecna, Nystul, Otiluke, Rary, Drawmij, Otto, Andrui, or Bubka (http://www.ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au/~knight/rpgdata/spells/gh.mage.spell.list) might be acceptable substitutes (I vote Tenser, because perhaps is disk is so made).

EDIT: Perhaps my table could be integrated into Fax's if we decide to let chromatic and monochromatic dragons breed. Also, Come to think of it, if we substitute RL proper nouns for D&D ones there will be no telling what we mean to refer to.

Flickerdart
2009-02-09, 06:44 PM
Oh man, a Gunmetal Dragon sounds so incredibly steampunk. And now I want one.

afroakuma
2009-02-09, 06:57 PM
*sigh* They would have RL names.

Alright, for the prismatic... things... :smallwink: the only ones I'm really pressed on are black/green and green/white.

Stupid green. :smallannoyed:

Flickerdart
2009-02-09, 07:07 PM
Obsidian works splendidly for Green/Black, as Fax said, and White/Green could be, uh, Salad? Mint?

afroakuma
2009-02-09, 07:23 PM
The dreaded salad dragon?

NecroRebel
2009-02-09, 07:38 PM
Pine? Spruce, maybe? :smalltongue:

Um. Light-green or white-green things... That's a fairly uncommon color in nature, unfortunately, and most of the things people produce aren't something they'd be likely to name their dragons after.

Envy Dragons, maybe? That's traditionally associated with the color green. Maybe they're even more obsessively covetous than other dragon species!

...I'd go with Evergreen or Sage, myself. Moss, Celadon, and Tea are some shades of green that wikipedia gives that are towards the whiter end of the scale.

sonofzeal
2009-02-09, 07:46 PM
*sigh* They would have RL names.

Alright, for the prismatic... things... :smallwink: the only ones I'm really pressed on are black/green and green/white.

Stupid green. :smallannoyed:

Black/Green: "Huntergreen (http://www.deckcoatings.com/images/Colorcharts/Epoxys/huntergreen.gif)" or "Viridian (http://castawayfoundries.com/images/CS1_bronze_patination_full_72_DPI.jpg)"

White/Green: "Celadon (http://www.lepinparasol.com/images2008/Jaqueline-green-pique-fabri.jpg)" or "Harlequin (http://www.texascooking.com/gif/fiestaware/harlequin2.jpg)"

afroakuma
2009-02-10, 10:35 AM
Well, here's what I've decided on for the final chromatic... nothings.

Black|Black
Blue|Ultramarine|Blue
Green|Obsidian|Teal|Green
Red|Crimson|Purple|Olive|Red
White|Gray|Azure|Celadon|Pink|White[/table]

ericgrau
2009-02-10, 11:47 AM
Averaging the RGB (red-green-blue) components of the colors I got:
{table=head]COLOR|BLACK|BLUE|GREEN|RED|WHITE
BLACK|█████|█████|█████|█████|█████
BLUE|█████|█████|█████|█████|█████
GREEN|█████|█████|█████|█████|█████
RED|█████|█████|█████|█████|█████
WHITE|█████|█████|█████|█████|█████[/table]

Prometheus
2009-02-10, 04:02 PM
You might be able to crossreference those colors with the name of the nearest HTML color code, but I'm not sure we'd want those sort of names.

SirFrog
2009-02-10, 04:25 PM
Oh No! The dreaded pink dragon is attacking us! It does look stylish though :smalltongue:

Mushroom Ninja
2009-02-10, 07:27 PM
White+Green could be jade

ericgrau
2009-02-10, 10:34 PM
You might be able to crossreference those colors with the name of the nearest HTML color code, but I'm not sure we'd want those sort of names.

They all use rgb hexadecimal code to get the color, which works in html too btw. If you quote the post you'll see the codes used. I used 77 a lot but really I should have used 7F or 80 for a proper "half" shade. It's close enough that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference though, so I'm not gonna fix it. Four of the colors happened to match these named HTML colors: Dark Purple, Dark Grey, Burgundy (dark red), Forest Green (dark green).

Anyone who wants to name the colors for me is free to do so. The OP kinda did it already, though I noticed his teal, azure and pink are kinda off.

I'm not gonna get into details, but I did some figuring and found that with enough generations of breeding you could produce any color in existence. Not only that, you need exactly the 5 colors given to do it. No more, no less.

Deth Muncher
2009-02-10, 10:44 PM
My vote for White + Green is Key Lime.

But, let's think for a sec. What if certain dragons that didn't mix color-wise prouced an effect similar to what can be called "flip-flop paint" on cars? That is, while viewed from one angle, it's one color, but from a different angle, it's another. And if viewed directly, it's kind of a weird, shimmery half&half.

Oh, and also, what happens if the Purple Dragon (offspring of the Red and Blue Dragons) mates with the Green Dragon? Does Terry Pratchett cry?

ericgrau
2009-02-10, 10:49 PM
Oh, and also, what happens if the Purple Dragon (offspring of the Red and Blue Dragons) mates with the Green Dragon? Does Terry Pratchett cry?

█████ Green
█████ Terry Pratchett eat your heart out.
█████ Dark Purple
█████ Dark Green (for reference)

Shades of Gray
2009-02-10, 10:53 PM
The ultramarine dragon makes me think of a power armored dragon that breathes bullets and chainswords.

Is this awesome Y/N?

Deth Muncher
2009-02-10, 11:07 PM
█████ Green
█████ Terry Pratchett eat your heart out.
█████ Dark Purple
█████ Dark Green (for reference)

*twitch* Does this make us all wizards if we can see that color?

sonofzeal
2009-02-11, 01:21 AM
"Obsidian" is an odd choice for Black-Green; the shade is brings to mind is not at all green in the slightest (although wikipedia informs me it can be "Black, grey, dark green, red, yellow, pink"). "Viridian Dragon" sounds pretty hardcore though, and gets the right mental image across.

xanaphia
2009-02-11, 02:03 AM
Is someone planning to homebrew all of these dragons?

Also, I'd call the green/white one Vesuvanite (http://images.google.com/images?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=vesuvanite&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi).

Eloel
2009-02-11, 02:13 AM
I suggest you don't make an Azure Dragon. Just a thought.
(anyone played HoMM3 before?)

afroakuma
2009-02-11, 08:00 AM
"Obsidian" is an odd choice for Black-Green; the shade is brings to mind is not at all green in the slightest (although wikipedia informs me it can be "Black, grey, dark green, red, yellow, pink"). "Viridian Dragon" sounds pretty hardcore though, and gets the right mental image across.

Viridian is a moderate blue-green color. Green obsidian (http://www.bcartifacts.com/baker/tdb_061.jpg) was the closest I could get to an actual "dark green." If someone has another word, I'll gladly look into it.

And yes, I've played HoMM3. They also had black, gold, green and red dragons. What's your point?