PDA

View Full Version : One chance

Shanty Man
2009-02-09, 12:38 PM
Why is it called one chance? I don't understand the name.

Eloel
2009-02-09, 12:41 PM
V had a single (one!) chance to Dimensional Anchor the dragon, and she missed.

Optimystik
2009-02-09, 02:27 PM
I think it's also a pun, implying that V rolled a 1 on his ranged touch attack. Thus "one chance" refers to both missing his opportunity to stop the dragon from escaping, and the actual probability of rolling an automatic miss (i.e. chance of a 1.)

Rich could then use it to silence any detractors. ("A dragon's touch AC is puny! V should have hit!")

Eloel
2009-02-09, 02:43 PM
I think it's also a pun, implying that V rolled a 1 on his ranged touch attack. Thus "one chance" refers to both missing his opportunity to stop the dragon from escaping, and the actual probability of rolling an automatic miss (i.e. chance of a 1.)

Rich could then use it to silence any detractors. ("A dragon's touch AC is puny! V should have hit!")

Err, dragon? escaping from V? I thought the dragon decided not to kill V, instead of escaping?
(just double-checking to make sure I'm on the right track here)

Optimystik
2009-02-09, 02:45 PM
Err, dragon? escaping from V? I thought the dragon decided not to kill V, instead of escaping?

Teleporting, then. You guys sure enjoy playing with the formatting tags.

ednarimal
2009-02-09, 05:09 PM
I think it's also a pun, implying that V rolled a 1 on his ranged touch attack.

I prefer the idea that V rolled perfectly acceptably on the attack roll, and just missed due to the penalty from not trancing.

I like the irony of the decision to stop trancing being the main cause of V's children dying, as opposed to a 1/20 chance and being a good pun(of course, Andy Weir has made me deathly afraid of the pun police, so that might sway my opinion).

irony > puns, imho

Boogastreehouse
2009-02-09, 05:43 PM
I prefer the idea that V rolled perfectly acceptably on the attack roll, and just missed due to the penalty from not trancing.

I like the irony of the decision to stop trancing being the main cause of V's children dying, as opposed to a 1/20 chance and being a good pun(of course, Andy Weir has made me deathly afraid of the pun police, so that might sway my opinion).

irony > puns, imho

Especially with that parting comment from the Dragon. Everything that V has done so far to try and validate himherwhattheheckever-self has only made things worse.

All of V's efforts to salvage his/her vanity have gone off in her/his face like explosive-runes.

Warren Dew
2009-02-09, 06:08 PM

And the 'laws of probability playing handmaiden to plot' thing strikes again!

Poor Vaarsuvius.

King of Nowhere
2009-02-09, 06:23 PM
Anyway, even if the anchor hadn't miss, it wouldn't have changed nothing. It lasts 1 minute per level, so the dragon had to wait 14 minutes and then teleport. There was nothing V could have done in the meanwhile. heck, probably is better that way: Quarr is still alive, and he can teleport V to the fleet, collect his allies, and teleport to V's home, to kick the dragon (not sure all of them would be enough, but still a hard fight for the dragon). If the dragon had to wait, she could have noticed and killed Quarr to stay sure.

Zevox
2009-02-09, 06:31 PM
The Dragon probably wouldn't even have to wait. Odds are it can cast Dispel Magic, possibly Greater Dispel Magic. One or two castings of either would have dealt with V's Anchor.

Zevox