PDA

View Full Version : Prediction (big spoiler if right)

Anon-a-mouse
2009-02-09, 01:09 PM
The obvious allusion in Pompey's name, given that he is V's evil counterpart, is the town of Pompeii, hence the prediction that Vaarsuvius will destroy Pompey. But maybe this is misdirection on Rich's part, and Pompey actually refers to Pompey the Great, and he will be defeated by Julia (Julius) rather than V.
Any thoughts?

Snake-Aes
2009-02-09, 01:22 PM
For what we are concerned, Pompey is gone and has no plans of involving himself again with the OOTS.

Spiryt
2009-02-09, 01:29 PM
Very amusing theory, but I agree that Pompey is probably done as a character.

roy_greenhilt
2009-02-11, 12:11 AM
I just realized after you mentioned the Pompey Pompeii thing, that V's name is spelled almost exactly like Vesuvius, as in Mt. Vesuvius, the volcano that destroyed Pompeii!

Corwin Weber
2009-02-11, 01:46 AM
I suspect that the main relation the two names have to each other is that they're both faux/pseudo latin. Seems to be a trend with OOtS elves. (Outside of drow, that is.)

David Argall
2009-02-11, 02:44 AM
Good catch, but I'll put my money on the co-incidence bet. "Sometimes a cigar is just a smoke."

Jural
2009-02-11, 02:52 AM
Yeah, but I'm going to hope the order stays away from any monster named "Krakatoa!"

At this point, Pompey would really need to be re-introduced in the story in a rather major (And likely disruptive) manner for us to even CARE if he was killed by V... but great catch on the names, I didn't get that at all!

Raging Gene Ray
2009-02-11, 02:55 AM
Yeah, but I'm going to hope the order stays away from any monster named "Krakatoa!"

I just noticed that "obvious" allusion, too. Also, I think we just found the name for Mama Dragon.

Trixie
2009-02-11, 09:58 AM
Good catch, but I'll put my money on the co-incidence bet. "Sometimes a cigar is just a smoke."

You know, mama dragon was just a smoke for 450 strips :smallamused:

Ditto for genderbender belt.

David Argall
2009-02-11, 06:45 PM
You know, mama dragon was just a smoke for 450 strips
Ditto for genderbender belt.

That was 223 strips, and it was rather obvious from the first it was coming back.

[TS] Shadow
2009-02-11, 07:07 PM
To all who think Pompey is gone, I present strip 399: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0399.html

I doubt that the giant would even reference this if they weren't going to appear again. Besides, it's been hinted at that we're going to Cliffport again. Maybe we'll see them there.

Harr
2009-02-11, 08:18 PM
He's named Pompeii because he's Vaarsuvius's evil counterpart. He's the opposite of V. What's the opposite of Vesuvius? Pompeii. What's the opposite of Vaarsuvius? Pompey! hahaha get it, it's a pun on how they're opposites from each other. That's it. That was just a (pretty apparent) joke from back then.

Roc Ness
2009-02-12, 03:48 AM
I still think there's gonna be a major plot twist involving either tsusiko or pompey+leeky getting to a gate and becoming the real final boss just as the order give Xykon and reddie the killing blow

And don't give me any more "thier not strong enoughs" because their are plenty of strips left where they could quietly work off panel

Tass
2009-02-12, 05:41 AM
That was 223 strips, and it was rather obvious from the first it was coming back.

No it wasn't. I clearly saw it as a throw away joke.

awibs
2009-02-12, 06:12 AM
I agree with you about the source of the name (given that nale original hired him to be as specifically opposite as possible, coloration and all) but i dont think that specifically guarantees that he has a future role to play.

Optimystik
2009-02-13, 01:16 AM
No it wasn't. I clearly saw it as a throw away joke.

A throwaway joke? The magic belt that changes gender, in the hands of the Order's looniest member? :smallsmile:

Morgan Wick
2009-02-14, 04:41 AM
For what we are concerned, Pompey is gone and has no plans of involving himself again with the OOTS.

Very amusing theory, but I agree that Pompey is probably done as a character.

I don't think he'd have received so much characterization if that were the case. His role in the actual battle was probably less than that of the less-characterized Leeky, or even Yokyok.