PDA

View Full Version : Negative Energy Whip [Weapon]

unlit.candle
2006-09-25, 11:17 PM
This weapon is infused with Negative Energy. The Energy does not harm the wielder. The weapon does an additional 2d6 points of Negative Energy Damage to the target.

If used to strike an undead creature it heals 2d6 points.

Moderate evocation [Negative Energy]; CL 7th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Inflict Moderate Wounds, Price +2 bonus.

Hario
2006-09-26, 12:10 AM
I really wouldn't mind one of those with a positive energy ;) I think +2 is wayy underpowered for something that heals undead prolly +4...

still not bad though, and this is in the wrong part of the forum fyi...

Caelestion
2006-09-26, 07:09 AM
If you make it like the vicious quality and deal yourself 1d6 negative damage when you swing, then it's probably +1. If not, but you include a Will save for half, it's about +2. If you don't do either of those, I'd say about +3.

NullAshton
2006-09-26, 07:49 AM
Good, still keeps to the about 1d6 per +1 enchantment thingie.

But this is again the wrong forum, and we don't use PEACH here. PEACH is old.

Yuki Akuma
2006-09-26, 08:08 AM
Good, still keeps to the about 1d6 per +1 enchantment thingie.

Yes, but it's negative energy damage, and also heals undead instead of harming them. That makes it more powerful than flaming, frost and shock...

Tengu
2006-09-26, 08:18 AM
Unless your party has some undead or a dedicated necromancer who can't start a day without raising some skeletons, this is not overpowered. And would not be in those cases too, seeing as much more parties will face undead rather then fight alongside them.

NullAshton
2006-09-26, 08:31 AM
So you're going to use a weapon that deals 1d6 or so damage to heal undead. Right. And undead is less common than, say, someone with electricity immunity.

Caelestion
2006-09-26, 08:34 AM
Well, if someone wishes to spend an attack/full attack action to touch attack undead to heal one of them 2d6 per attack, by all means. I still think it's a +3 ability myself.

Azrael
2006-09-26, 08:38 AM

PEACH is soooo pre-reorganization.

NullAshton
2006-09-26, 08:51 AM
Well, if someone wishes to spend an attack/full attack action to touch attack undead to heal one of them 2d6 per attack, by all means. I still think it's a +3 ability myself.

You mean about 1d6 per attack, less if they have any other enhancements on it. Gotta actually hurt them to heal them.

Tengu
2006-09-26, 09:03 AM
Using this ability to heal undead in combat is useless - we're looking at 4.5 average damage healed at best for each swing (assuming a dagger and 10-11 strength of the wielder), which is less then Inflict spells. And out of combat it's only useful if you have some undead as party members/buff summons with long durations/cohorts/NPCs travelling with the party - which is very uncommon.

Caelestion
2006-09-26, 09:45 AM
Not if you’re only making a touch attack or the energy whip simply has no impact damage, as might result from 2d6 negative energy and no weapon damage.

Tengu
2006-09-26, 10:40 AM
Alright then, be it 2d6. The "heals undead" aspect still is completely useless for 99% of parties, or even hurts them when they actually fight undead.

Caelestion
2006-09-26, 10:51 AM
Heh. My comment was directed at Null, but yes. I happen to agree with you. Then again, in the right situations, it might be very useful :)

JellyPooga
2006-09-26, 10:55 AM
There is a weapon enhancement in Libris Mortis called 'Profane' which encases your weapon in negative energy that is only a +1 enhancement - It does however bestow negative levels on living wielders...