PDA

View Full Version : Regarding the Winged Elves

PrGo
2009-02-09, 03:53 PM
The Avariel have always been a mystery to me (never found their statistics :smalltongue:) and just a few minutes ago I found them here http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Avariel_(DnD_Race)
So I was wondering, is there a book that describes them with more details?
Also I wanted to know your opinions on playing the race and stuff, if anyone ever played one.

Thanks in advance :smallbiggrin:

Fhaolan
2009-02-09, 04:32 PM
They first showed up for D&D in Dragon #51 I think, written up for AD&D 1st edition. Although they were called Al Karak Elam at that point and were not technically Winged Elves.

They were then incorporated into 2nd edition in the Complete Book of Elves, then a brief write-up in Monstrous Compendium Annual vol 2. There was another Dragon article, in #233 that went into more detail.

For 3rd edition, they showed up in Races of Faerun, but I don't have that book, so I don't know what was presented there.

There is an article here http://annex.wikia.com/wiki/Avariel that attempts to blend all the previous sources together for their history/culture.

Texas Jedi
2009-02-09, 04:40 PM
In the races of Faerun book they were among the first elves to travel to Faerun. I think they and the Lythari (sp? Shape changing elves), and the Aquatic elves showed up first.

They were greatly hunted by the dragons and lost many of their species to dragon assaults. Because the dragons almost hunted them nearly to extinction their numbers were never great. They have the second smallest numbers of elves in all of Faerun only the Lythari have fewer.

I think they were given excellent stats with only their con being a negative. They did take a big negative like -4 points to con because of their slight build and weak bodies. They did gain pluses in Dex, Cha, and I think Int or Wisdom though.

It has been more than a year since I opened the book though so I could be a little rusty on the facts.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-02-09, 04:43 PM
They first showed up for D&D in Dragon #51 I think, written up for AD&D 1st edition. Although they were called Al Karak Elam at that point and were not technically Winged Elves.

They were then incorporated into 2nd edition in the Complete Book of Elves, then a brief write-up in Monstrous Compendium Annual vol 2. There was another Dragon article, in #233 that went into more detail.

For 3rd edition, they showed up in Races of Faerun, but I don't have that book, so I don't know what was presented there.

There is an article here http://annex.wikia.com/wiki/Avariel that attempts to blend all the previous sources together for their history/culture.

In races of Faerun they are posted. With states and a decent write up of them. I would sugest you go there for your 3.5 winged elf fix.

Tam_OConnor
2009-02-10, 02:43 AM
There was also another group of winged elves in a Dragon issue (can't remember the number; mid 200s, probably), both arctic hunter-types and demonbred drow types.

Big emphasis on glassteel, from what I remember.

Tsotha-lanti
2009-02-10, 03:14 AM
There was also another group of winged elves in a Dragon issue (can't remember the number; mid 200s, probably), both arctic hunter-types and demonbred drow types.

Big emphasis on glassteel, from what I remember.

Arctic winged elves with glassteel sound like the Avariel. Demonbred winged elves would be the Fey'ri. Both are in Races of Faerūn.

PrGo
2009-02-10, 03:25 AM
I'm going to get Races of Faerun just because of them.

Thank you, fellas :smallbiggrin:

Tsotha-lanti
2009-02-10, 04:36 AM
It's a good book in general, I think. Lots of racial history, and it goes a long ways toward dispelling the notion of Faerūn's humans as Star Trek humans, with nothing distinctive about their culture and no real differences within the species.

Tam_OConnor
2009-02-10, 02:35 PM
Nope, this was older than the Fey'ri. Bat-winged drow, if I recall right, with an even more ridiculous magic resistance. Looking it up: Dragon #244: Warriors of the Wind. The half-fiend Drow were the Fainil, the arctic elves with bird legs and feathered wings were the Telvar.

Sorry for not being clear: the Avariel used glassteel, not the Telvar.

But on the topic at hand: yeah, Races of Faerun is very nice.

Sinfire Titan
2009-02-10, 04:32 PM
They also appear in Races of the Wild.

hamishspence
2009-02-10, 04:43 PM
That would be the Raptorans- they aren't quite the same as avariels- taloned feet, feathers on head, glide but don't gain true Flight till higher level.

Ravens_cry
2009-02-10, 05:34 PM
I tend to think of elves been a lot like bats.
The big honking ears, the sharp features, the relatively frail build, elves=bats.