PDA

View Full Version : Help with a evil debuffer

kabof
2009-02-09, 10:55 PM
Hello good people of the playground. I'm a long time lurker, first time poster and now I seek help while trying to finish an old idea of mine. Here it's:

Zur the Hexer
Human, Neutral Evil

01. Feat Rogue 01: Able Learner, Power Attack, Open feat
02. Feat Rogue 02: Improved Sunder
03. Hexblade 01: Cleave
04. Hexblade 02
05. Hexblade 03
06. Hexblade 04: Imperious Command
07. Ravager 01
08. Blackguard 01
09. Blackguard 02: Leadership
10. Blackguard 03
11. Ravager 02
12. Ravager 03: Trickery Devotion

His cohort is a fallen celestial Fiend of Possession. He uses it to empower his weapon with a +6 bonus.
Aasimar LA 1/Good Will Class 2/Good Will Class 1/Fiend of Possession 6

Basically, this char was a Rogue and did a faustian pact for power. I'm having a hard time figuring out his gear (I only thought about the ritual for the Aasimar, a Fearsome Mithral Medium Something Armor from DotU and a +1 keen adamantine scimitar. He would enhance his weapon using the cohort, making it +4 keen cursespewing, but I'm open to suggestions about it too). He has maximized ranks in UMD, so some scrolls and wands advice would be cool. Also, I guess it would be really nice to have a save-or-die item that could use the debuff abilites from this character. Maybe finish Ravager so that he could use the Phantasmal Killer ability (I know it sux, but the save with this guy can become an impressive number)? Using more Ravager's level would be nice anyway, since it's aura have per day uses.

I'm also unsure about the first level feat, but I guess I could take it at 3rd lvl and take Improved Sunder at first, if that helps anyway.

Finally, I have no idea about the cohort class/feat progression, maybe a Bard 2/Warlock 1 diplomancer.

Oh, yeah: I can use any official book, but no Dragon Magazines and no setting specific material.

Phew. It became bigger than I thought it would. Tanks for reading so much.

ps.: Please ignore any grammar/spelling error. English is not my first language.

Keld Denar
2009-02-09, 11:21 PM
For your open feat, consider Dreadful Wrath (PGtF) or Frightful Presence (Draconomicon). That allows you to make fear attacks whenever you attack or charge. Fear effects stack, so and your Imerious Command makes it really strong. Also, take the skill tricks for intimidate from Complete Scoundrel.

Also, I'm assuming you are using the Dark Companion ACF from PHBII. Its a -2 to saves, no save. Stacks with all your other effects.

Flickerdart
2009-02-09, 11:25 PM
Tanks for reading so much.
How many tanks, and what kind?:smallbiggrin:

RTGoodman
2009-02-09, 11:33 PM
Is there any reason your taking Blackguard besides the obvious Cha-to-Saves, Smite, and stuff? If not, I HIGHLY suggest the Paladin of Tyranny (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#paladinofTyrannyClassF eatures) instead. It gives the same stuff, DOESN'T require sucky feats to enter, AND gives you a much better aura (which debuffs close enemies).

For what you're wanting, you could also look into demoralization (http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-911167), making full use of the Intimidate skill to screw over enemies. Since [Fear] effects stack, you can look into Fear-effect stacking builds, too, which would work out well for a high-Cha Hexblade.

There's also one bit of armor in Drow of the Underdark you should DEFINITELY get - the fearsome armor special ability gives you an Intimidate bonus AND lets you demoralize as a Move Action for only 5,000gp.

EDIT @ \/: Yeah, Never Outnumbered is good. Check out the demoralize optimization thread above - it talks all about that.

kabof
2009-02-09, 11:33 PM
How many tanks, and what kind?
Oops. I guess my mind was elsewhere. Well, I have been playing too much Metal Gear... =p

Keld Denar: yes, yes. I'm using the ACF from PHB2. :smallbiggrin:
The Frightful Presence feat seems really good. Is there any way to raise the DC? Ability Focus or that item from Sandstorm works with it?

I forgot to ask in the main text: what do you guys think about the Never Outnumbered Skill Trick? It seems really sweet with the Imperious Command feat.

Keld Denar
2009-02-10, 02:08 AM
Never Outnumbered. Thats the trick I was trying to think of. Its really really really good.

Another thing that might be interesting if you can fit it in is a level or so of Barbarian for Rage, then taking Instantaneous Rage and Intimidating Rage. This, combined with Imperious Command will give your whole group an immediate action Greater Celerity. Might be too much to fit in though.

As far as increasing the DC of Frightening Presence, you can always decrease your foes saves against it. Dark Companion, Aura of Dispair, and your Hex will all lower your opponents save, making it easier to land your fear attacks.

Temp.
2009-02-10, 03:39 AM
I'm having a hard time figuring out his gear

Since you ask, I feel I have to profess my love of the Sudden Stunning enhancement (DMG2). For just 2000 gp, you get the ability to hit enemies with a Reflex Save (DC 10+1/2 character level+Cha) against 1d4+1 rounds of stun effect. You can do this as many times as you have points of Charisma modifier. For any high-Charisma melee character, save-debuffers especially, this is about as good as it gets.