PDA

View Full Version : It's Just For You! [Creature]

The Demented One
2006-09-25, 08:36 PM
Lepidus
Size/Type: Large Aberration
Hit Dice: 12d8+48 (102 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), fly 60 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 24 (-1 size, +3 Dex, +12 natural), touch 12, flatfooted 21
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+18
Attack: Bite +13 melee (1d8+5 plus idioplague)
Full Attack: Bite +13 melee (1d8+5 plus idioplague) and 4 Claws +8 melee (1d6+2)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Acidic scales, idioplague
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/magic, darkvision 60 ft., fluid anatomy
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +5, Will +10
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 14, Con 18, Int 5, Wis 14, Cha 10
Skills: Intimidate +5, Listen +7, Spot +7
Feats: Dodge, Mobility, Flyby Attack, Hover, Power Attack
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 10
Treasure: None
Alignment: Usually Neutral Evil
Advancement: 13-18 HD (Large), 19-25 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: –

The Lepidi are strange and mysterious abominations, who rarely see the light of day. They seem to be called by the massing of large numbers of living creatures. They almost inevitably appear when the biomass of a certain area reaches a critical point, spreading disease, each virus unique to its victim, and specifically designed to cripple it. They do not spread virus through means of microbes or magic, but by transferring their own flesh into the bodies of their victims. A Lepidus seems to attempt to infect as many creatures as possible, and then leaves, not caring to kill or eat its prey. It is believed they Lepidi first emerged in a symbiotic relationship with a virus of some sort, and that this behavior is a vestige of that time, the virus and Lepidus having become a single whole creature. A Lepidus stands about eight feet tall and is wholly covered in a thick, brown-grey carapace that seems to be covered in pustules and cysts that leak a pale pus. When this carapace is pierced, the Lepidus’s innards, a fluid mass contained within a thin layer of fat-like tissue, are exposed. A Lepidus has eyes that look like massive, swollen spheres of red ooze, which throb constantly, and a flabby, psuedo-gelationous maw ringed with ravor-sharp teeth. A Lepidus bears a pair of moth-like, scaly wings, for which it is often given the moniker of “mothman.”

Acidic Scales (Ex)
As a standard action, a Lepidus may shake its wings, causing an external layer of scales to fall from them. Upon coming into contact with flesh, the scales melt, dissolving into acid. All creatures within 30 ft. of the Lepidus take 5d6 points of acid damage, Reflex DC 20 for half. In addition, a creature that fails its save takes 1d6 more points of acid damage each additional round for 2d4 rounds. A Lepidus must wait 1d4 rounds before it can use this ability again.

Idioplague (Su)
If a Lepidus successfully damages a creature with its bite attack, it transfers some of its own virulent tissues into the creature’s body. The tissue bonds with that of the creature, and creates a unique disease that specifically targets its host. The DC of the idioplague is 20, and its incubation period is three days. Because of the disease's unique adaptibility, even creatures normally immune to disease can be affected by it, though they receive a +4 circumstance bonus on their saves. Being a supernatural disease, a creature afflicted with the idioplague must make three, rather than two, saves to recover from it. The idioplague specifically attacks the creature, targeting both muscular and neural structure to reduce the creature’s greatest strength and capitalize on its greatest weakness. Its damage is 1d8 points of damage to both the creature’s highest and lowest ability scores at the time it is infected. The save is Con based.

Fluid Anatomy (Ex)
A Lepidus’ interior anatomy is completely lacking any solid structures–its internal tissues are all semifluid and sludge-like. It has its immune to extra damage from critical hits and sneak attacks.

Fax Celestis
2006-09-25, 08:38 PM
With Fluid Anatomy, can I attempt to Sunder the carapace for extra damage?

The Demented One
2006-09-25, 08:39 PM
Nopers, and for the same reason you can't sunder a giant scorpion's carapace. Part of the body, not a distinct thing.

Fax Celestis
2006-09-25, 08:41 PM
Damn. That'd be awesome.

All in all, though, I like this'n.

...still brainstorming the Nam-Shub :-D

The Demented One
2006-09-25, 08:44 PM
I'd suggest a level one ability that lets the whatever you're calling it--En of the True Tongue, maybe--use the Truespeach skill in place of Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate. Maybe later give him some ability to dominate others, knock people out, or drive them insane, and so on.

Fax Celestis
2006-09-25, 08:48 PM
Yeah, and I was thinking of telepathy (a la a Mindbender) and a capstone ability that would let him chain any of his truespeech powers through anyone within earshot/telepathic range.

The Demented One
2006-09-25, 08:49 PM
Definantly. Maybe have it function like a telepathic plague? And now, back to the show.

martyboy74
2006-09-25, 09:21 PM
Can it use it's Idioplague on all living things? Some creatures seem like they'd be immune to have stuff squirted into them, like elementals that have no actually body structure. (Read=Crysmal) ;D

The Demented One
2006-09-25, 10:00 PM
Can it use it's Idioplague on all living things? Some creatures seem like they'd be immune to have stuff squirted into them, like elementals that have no actually body structure. (Read=Crysmal) ;D
If it's vulnerable to disease, it's vulnerable to the idioplague. The idioplague is customized to its host such that its body structure is considered in the effects of the virus, letting it hit basically anything with it.

Fax Celestis
2006-09-25, 10:12 PM
If it's vulnerable to disease, it's vulnerable to the idioplague. The idioplague is customized to its host such that its body structure is considered in the effects of the virus, letting it hit basically anything with it.

If that's the case, I'd let it affect things that aren't normally affected by disease, like constructs and undead. If there's a flesh-eating disease, certainly a stone golem could have a stone-eating one, and a vampire could certainly contract something.

The Demented One
2006-09-25, 10:24 PM
If that's the case, I'd let it affect things that aren't normally affected by disease, like constructs and undead. If there's a flesh-eating disease, certainly a stone golem could have a stone-eating one, and a vampire could certainly contract something.
An excellent idea.

Fax Celestis
2006-09-25, 10:26 PM
Now, a question about your wording: for instance, a Monk becomes immune to magical disease in addition to natural. How does that interact?

The Demented One
2006-09-25, 11:06 PM
Now, a question about your wording: for instance, a Monk becomes immune to magical disease in addition to natural. How does that interact?
He still gets hit. Even immunity to magical disease doesn't protect you; the bastard finds a way to hit you.

zad101
2006-09-25, 11:24 PM
does it work on gods? they're immune to disease and ability damage at rank 1 and higher.

The Demented One
2006-09-25, 11:31 PM
does it work on gods? they're immune to disease and ability damage at rank 1 and higher.
Oy, that goes into the whole deity stats thing, which I'm not a fan of. I'd just say that no, they can't hit gods. However, I'm envisioning a pseudodivine Lepidus who could get them. Perhaps he is the source of all disease, of which all other plague bearers are pale reflections.

zad101
2006-09-25, 11:44 PM
I'm envisioning a pseudodivine Lepidus who could get them. Perhaps he is the source of all disease, of which all other plague bearers are pale reflections.

sounds cool

i was just asking cause i run campaigns with lots of demigods running around and i thought this monster was a cool idea to include in my next campaign.