PDA

View Full Version : Melee cleric 3.5

cardboardbox!
2009-02-10, 01:32 AM
Hey everyone, first time poster here, I did a search and could not find anything to my taste in paticular, I was wondering what the was the best feat selection for a melee oriented cleric, mostly anti-wizard without having to just blast spells.

Yukitsu
2009-02-10, 01:37 AM
To note, melee is the least viable way to take out a wizard as a cleric. That said, take the feat disciple of mystra from the faerun setting. It makes you immune to the effects of an anti magic or dead magic field. Then take the feats extend spell, persist spell, divine metamagic persist and any combat feats that you find necessary. Go around with persisted divine and righteous might while in an AMF.

BobVosh
2009-02-10, 01:43 AM
Quicken spell, Divine Metamagic Quicken, Extend Spell, Persistant spell, DMM Persistant Spell, however many extra turnings you feel like, I would also recommend maximize, empower, and I personally like twin cast.

ericgrau
2009-02-10, 02:05 AM
Martial-wise you'd want to disrupt the wizard's casting with readied arrows - which is range not melee - or grapple & pin him. For that it's difficult to boost the cleric's grapple modifier high enough to make up for his mid BAB, since a lot of other attack roll boosting things don't affect it. The one spell that gives him full BAB consumes a round to cast which really hurts it - You're trying to give yourself more hits but at the same time you're losing a round of hits. You don't even get enlarge person on your spell list. Righteous might helps, but it's a 5th level spell and it also consumes a round. A dangerous thing to lose, especially against a wizard.

You'd probably have better luck with dispel magic and antimagic field, as mentioned, perhaps using the martial tactics as secondary options. But note that anti-magic field is level 8 for a cleric. You could also have a lot of different scrolls ready to counter a lot of wizard save-or-sucks, especially the cheaper low level ones. Higher level ones, especially generally purpose fixers, could go on your prepared spell list. You could use the cleric save or dies since they target fortitude saves, which is the wizard's weak save. Consider the travel domain for fly.

For feats you'd probably get general cleric feats. Or still spell and combat casting could help you cast while grappling if you wanted to try that method. Note that improved grapple isn't terribly essential (especially if you're short on feats) since the wizard has a hard time with the AoO even if he has a melee weapon drawn (unlikely) and his BAB + strength are pretty lousy. Or for the archer readied-action disrupter there's all the archer feats, besides cleric attack bonus buffs.

Tsotha-lanti
2009-02-10, 02:08 AM
Power Attack and a two-handed weapon. You're going to be boosting your size with righteous might and your attack bonus is going to be throught the roof with all your buffs, so you can probably PA for your full BAB and still hit just fine (especially as wizards tend to rely on protections other than AC), inflicting even more damage.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-02-10, 02:15 AM
An Anti-spellcaster Cleric is best off to Ready an action to cast Silence if an opponent casts a spell with a verbal component, then cast it centered on a point in space so that the enemy falls within the AoE. He doesn't get a save, and his spell is automatically interrupted and ruined.

As for a melee-focused Cleric, I'd personally go Human Cleric of Zarus (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20041203a&page=1) 6/ Divine Oracle 4/ Contemplative 10, start with the War and Strength domains, and gain the Oracle, Law, and Destiny domains in that order. Visit the Frog God's Fane detailed in the Complete Scoundrel to get the prerequisite feat for Divine Oracle without spending a feat on it. For feats take Extend Spell, Persistent Spell, and Divine Metamagic: Persistent by level 3. If you can't get a reliable source of Night Sticks get Extra Turning and Craft Rod at levels 6 and 9. Otherwise I'd get Power Attack and Combat Reflexes, then probably take Domain Spontaneity: Law, Quicken Spell, and Divine Metamagic: Quicken. Be sure to be using DMM: Persistent Choose Destiny from level 17 on.

AslanCross
2009-02-10, 04:40 AM
The Spiritual Counter feat is a divine feat that allows you to expend a turn attempt instead of a prepared spell (or dispel magic) for counterspelling.

Eldariel
2009-02-10, 07:44 AM
The Giant Size-spell from Hero-domain would be awesome; I'd take a look. The immense size would easily allow you to cover huge areas and just hit hard from far away. Combined with Divine Power, Divine Favor, etc. all maximized on CL, you've got a very-hard-to-dispel set of buffs and superb reach meaning you can whack the Wizard from 60' away easily.

The most efficient means though would probably be Initiate of Mystra-feat. Then Persist Anti-Magic Field on yourself and cast all buffs with it on; this makes you immune to almost anything anyone is going to do and you've easily got other melee beat (as they're worthless without their magical equipment) and spellcasters have notable issues affecting you as a large number of their tricks are immediately thrown out of the window and they're still dealing with a full buffed, spellcasting Cleric.

The only feats you need are standard Cleric buffs and Power Attack. Power Attack allows you to convert your immense attack bonus into pure damage. On low levels, focus on mass buffs & Divine Favor, then once available, move to Divine Power & Righteous Might and use your Domain-slots for extra buffs. Air Walk and the like should obviously be on to make reaching opponent easy.