PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Feat[General, Fighter] Transfix

Kaihaku
2009-02-10, 03:23 AM
I had a thought, help me iron it out. Thanks.

Feat Name: Transfix
Prerequisite: STR 15, Brutal Throw

Benefit: As a Full Round Attack, make a single ranged attack roll with a thrown one-handed or two-handed piercing weapon against a target within 5ft of a solid vertical surface. If the attack hits, roll damage as normal for the initial target and then deal half that damage to the solid surface. If damage is dealt to the solid surface after hardness, the target of the attack is pinned to the surface.

The pinned creature cannot move and takes 1d4 bleeding damage until the weapon holding it in place is dislodged. To dislodge the weapon the target must succeed on a grapple check (DC = damage dealt to surface). Dislodging the weapon deals additional damage to the target equal to its base damage modifier (1d6 for a standard shortspear).
Special: The thrown piercing weapon must be of the same or larger size as the target creature.

Tempest Fennac
2009-02-10, 03:35 AM
It sounds interresting, but the prequisites seem a bit high, and stat prequiites are usually odd nombers (I'd say 15 Str is reasonable for this, unless Brutal Throw has a higher prequisite).

Kaihaku
2009-02-10, 04:22 AM
Duly noted and adjusted, thanks.

Tempest Fennac
2009-02-11, 06:16 AM
I just thought of another question. Is a pinned creature helpless?

Kaihaku
2009-02-11, 06:20 AM
I wouldn't think so, just unable to move, though it probably would make sense to declare them flatfooted. I thought about tossing in a Concentration check to cast a spell with somatic components but it seemed too specific. Besides, I was afraid that the feat was too complicated already.

Thanks.

Tempest Fennac
2009-02-11, 06:47 AM
I don;t think it's complicated, and a Concentration check with a DC of 15+ the spell level would make sense considering how painful being pinned to a wall like that would be.

Lord_Gareth
2009-02-11, 06:59 AM
Might I suggest that you take a look at Ranged Pin in the complete warrior? It could either help you with the rules writeup, or you could make this feat an extension of it.

Kaihaku
2009-02-11, 07:22 AM
I was disappointed by Ranged Pin, I loved the flavor but disliked the mechanics...notably the combination of a set DC, an opposed grapple check, and a slew of prerequisites. However, taking another look at it, you are correct... The format is much easier to read and understand than mine. Thanks for the tip.

Feat Name: Transfix
Prerequisite: STR 15, Brutal Throw
Benefit: You may pin your opponent to a wall, tree, etc., that is within 5’. As a full round action, you must succeed on a Ranged Attack with a thrown one-handed or two-handed piercing weapon. If successful deal normal damage to your opponent and half that amount minus hardness to the wall, tree, etc. Your opponent must succeed on Escape Artist or Grapple Check (DC = damage dealt to wall, tree, etc) as a standard action in order to dislodge the weapon. Dislodging the weapon deals additional damage to your opponent equal to its base damage modifier (1d6 for a standard shortspear).
Special: The thrown piercing weapon must be of the same or larger size as your opponent.

How's that as a revision?

DracoDei
2009-02-11, 09:44 AM
Hmmm... cinematic and it sounds usable. YTou might want a stipulation that the surface must be at least somewhat BEHIND the target if not outright in "flanking" position relative to the attacker.
The only other thing that I might be TEMPTED to tweak for realism would MAYBE be the ongoing damage...
However, the major thing I want to say here is more of a note to GMs about what I think they should allow even without this feat... namely that pinning someones cloak or other clothing (not armor except perhaps the various types of light armor) to a surface with a spear or whatever is a perfectly acceptable thing to try with a normal attack or full attack in lew of going for damage. a few minuses to hit, full damage to the surface, and the rules for getting free from this feat and there you go I think!