PDA

View Full Version : So illusion-damage spells give 2 saves?

Thorin
2009-02-10, 08:30 AM
So, i´ll play a illusionist gnome in a new campaign for fun, but i´m not sure about shadow conjuration...

Say i have:
int 18 (for a +4 bonus)
school focus (illusion)
g. spell focus (illusion)

So, the save to disbelief a "shadow fireball": 10+4+4+2+2= 22 which is good
The reflex save to avoid half the damage would be also 22? or i should take the +4 to +3 due the level of the spell i am mimicking?
Also, if a creature disbelief and also made its reflex save, it would only take... 10% of the damage?

Can someone point me a way to make the illusion even harder to disbelief (we use almost any book we can put our hands on) or a good prestige class to help the character?. Alas, no Dragon Magazine allowed

Thanks in advance

PS: i remember reading something about using Heighten Spell and some feat to mimic spells of the SAME level or lower? is that even possible?

Heliomance
2009-02-10, 08:39 AM
Earth Spell is the feat you're looking for, in Races of Stone. Lets you heighten a spell to one level above the level you cast it in, I believe.

RMS Oceanic
2009-02-10, 08:40 AM
Races of Stone has a 5-level prestige class Specifically for Gnome Illusionists. It lets you use the various Image spells to emulate conjuration and evocation spells, as well as enhancing the power of (Greater) Shadow Evocation/Conjuration.

Douglas
2009-02-10, 08:45 AM
See the Shadowcraft Mage Handbook (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=655556).

Both save DCs for your Shadow Evocation Fireball would be 21 - Spell Focus and Greater Spell Focus are only +1 each, but gnome adds +1 as well. 10 base + 4 int + 4 level + 2 GSF + 1 gnome = 21.

Edit: Actually, Shadow Evocation is a 5th level spell, not 4th, so it would be 22. The 4th level Shadow Conjuration cannot duplicate Fireball as that is an evocation. And yes, a creature that succeeds on both saves would only take 10% damage.