PDA

View Full Version : Combining Pet class features

Darth Stabber
2009-02-10, 10:59 AM
Is there a way to combine various built in friend class features. Like a druid pally companion/mount, or a Wizard druid familiar/companion, or a Soulspark Familiar/wizard Familiar. Particularly the last case. There is a soulmeld in MoI that gives you a soulspark Familiar, and I was wondering if there was an official rule that allowed me to combine pet class features?

Heliomance
2009-02-10, 11:02 AM
Not by default. The Devoted Tracker feat (Complete Adventurer?) allows you to combine your animal companion and paladin mount. Other than that I'm not really sure.

Darth Stabber
2009-02-10, 11:05 AM
So I should probably hand this off to the fine folks in the homebrew section

jcsw
2009-02-10, 11:14 AM
Druid Animal Companion + Familiar - Arcane Heirophant Prestige Class, races of the wild.

Person_Man
2009-02-10, 11:30 AM
There are a couple different ways:

Arcane Heirophant PrC = Companion + Familiar

Wild Plains Outrider = levels stack to determine Mount or Companion

Devoted Tracker feat = Mount + Companion

Halfling Outrider PrC = Levels stack to determine Mount AND Companion (can be abused by taking Devoted Tracker)

There's also the Beastmaster and Beast Heart Adept, which each give you multiple pets.

Eloel
2009-02-10, 12:01 PM
There are a couple different ways:

Arcane Heirophant PrC = Companion + Familiar

Wild Plains Outrider = levels stack to determine Mount or Companion

Devoted Tracker feat = Mount + Companion

Halfling Outrider PrC = Levels stack to determine Mount AND Companion (can be abused by taking Devoted Tracker)

There's also the Beastmaster and Beast Heart Adept, which each give you multiple pets.

Beastmaster class is 1-level. Druid levels don't stack for secondary animals.

Heliomance
2009-02-10, 12:03 PM
Which is absolutely retarded. You may be able to talk your DM into letting them stack.

Smeggedoff
2009-02-10, 12:31 PM
there are the high one warrior wizard substitution levels from the champions of valor web enhancement (allows you to combine a paladin mount and a familiar)
there are also the following two feats from Dragon Magazine

Theurgic Bond [General]
you uncover the secrets to connecting more fully with your animal companion or Familiar from studying another type of magic.
Prerequisites:Ability to gain a familiar, ability to gain an animal companion.
Benefit:Choose a familiar or animal companion you already have. when determining the abilities of your chosen familiar or animal companion, you can combine the levels of your spellcasting classes that grant either an animal companion or a familiar. For example, a 4th-level druid/3rd-level sorcerer can grant his familiar all of the abilities that a familiar of a 7th-level sorcerer would normally have.
Special:You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack, each time you gain this feat it applies to a different familiar or animal companion.

Theurgic Mount [General]
your special mount benefits from your arcane knowledge.
Prerequisites:Ability to gain a paladin special mount, ability to cast arcane spells.
Benefit:when determining the abilities of your paladin special mount, you can combine the levels of your paladin with the levels of your arcane spellcasting classes. For example, a 5th-level paladin/4th-level sorcerer can grant his paladin special mount abilities as a 9th-level paladin.

Darth Stabber
2009-02-10, 12:56 PM
Would it be reasonable to just take improved familiar, pretend that the least soulspark is a regular familiar(with no attendant stat skill or save buff) and progress familiar stuff from there (I realize that a least soulspark is tougher than a baseic familiar, but I am using a soulmeld to get the darn thing), and if for some reason i no longer have the soulmeld up i loose the familiar bonuses(and can't invest essentia into it). Does that Seem like a reasonable way glue the two together?

Darth Stabber
2009-02-10, 01:14 PM
Actually I think just convicing the GM that Theurgic Bond is a reasonable way to simulate it. I just really want a way for the darn thing to stick around without that soulmeld (Probably keep it shaped anyway, the effects of essentia investment and binding are good.)

Actually I think that I am going to go the Soulcaster Route. The save DC buffing and midnight Metamagic are pretty Kewl, plus you get a interesting sliding scale over the course of each day Beginning of the day spells are better, As time goes by meldshaping gets better. and this means I can do relevant things if i don't have a relevant spell, at the cost of 3 caster lvls (so i still get 1 ninth lvl spell @ lvl20

Stephen_E
2009-02-10, 05:07 PM
The mostest RAW combo I know of is Druid/Wizard/Arcane Heriophant/Paladin

With Leadership applied to your Paladin Special Mount (as per DMG) and Devoted Tracker (strictly speaking you don't need to be a Ranger) this combines Animal Companion, Familiar, Special Mount and Cohort, giving your "pet" both bonus HD and Class levels.

Note that it requires you to either be a Paladin changing alignment to a non-evil neutral alignment and falling or a Druid changing to LG and falling, and then atoning without changing alignment. This is because by RAW after falling you regain your class abilities once you atone. Atoning doesn't inately require changing your alignment. You fall for changing your alignment to an illegal alignment, not for having an illegal alignment. Thus a Paladin who changes to NG will fall for changing to a non LG alignment. On atoning he can will regain his abilities but will not fall again for been NG because he's not changing from LG. Won't be able to advance, but that's unimportant for this build.

Please no cries of "I wouldn't allow such a thing" ect, I quite specifically pointed out this was RAW not RAI.

Works better if you do it replacing Paladin with Blackguard if you can get your GM to treat the Devoted Tracker and Leadership/Special Mount to work with Blackguard Fiendish Servant. Requires houserule but avoids messy alignment stuff and Fiendish Servant progression is based on chracter levels, not class levels.

Stephen E