PDA

View Full Version : Dyslexia/Dysgraphia

Starshade
2009-02-10, 02:42 PM
At school i always had a few issues, now, a few weeks ago i found something called "Dysgraphia" surfing the net just coincidentally, and, started to think.

I'm not dyslextic, or, dont think so, specially since reading is a favorite past time and i'm able to read 100+ books a year if i dont play too much games. I often read 1000 pager books, in English, who is a foregin language for me.

I still do a lot of the errors people with dyslexia do, mixing p, b and d, mixing letters in a word (,including fantasy character names, i discovered in book 5 or so in Wheel of Time Nyanaeve isnt named Nynaeve :smallannoyed: ).

What made me like RPing, i think, is its a storytelling style, who dont involve showing others anything i write myself. I've always liked writing, just, anything i write, is riddeled with strange and bizarre spelling errors, even writing online. My skill at grammar was quite good, had the grasp of the logical system behind languages, just had random spelling errors ruining most i wrote, and still, i sometime got no idea how to write words ive seen daily for a long time(and look them up).

Anyone else here with simmiliar experiences?

Morty
2009-02-10, 02:47 PM
Well, I have dysgraphia myself, which results in really ugly handwriting and bad move coordination. Before I was checked for this and got the papers, some people were attributing my bad handwriting to my left-handedness, which, looking back, I find rather funny. Now I'm officially dysgraphic, but it doesn't mean all that much, because nowadays everyone in high school age tries to get diagnosed as dyslexic because it's easier than learning ortography. Still, have you been to the psychologist with this? There are tests which can say whether you're dyslexic or not.

Toastkart
2009-02-10, 04:49 PM
Considering there are so many different types of dyslexia and dysgraphia it wouldn't surprise me at all if you have some of those characteristics. On the other hand, it worries me that we as a world culture (but particularly in the US) consider individual variation in ability as disorder.

Ricky S
2009-02-10, 05:07 PM
Wow, I never even knew about dysgraphia. It seems like a pretty common thing though. I might even have it (Just been looking at wiki). My writing is terrible and I find it stressful to write large amounts. I have a similiar thing with reading names in fantasy but that is from normal. When you read a word you dont actually read it but look at its shape so naturally you dont read it how the author intended, not to mention they are always stupid names which have no correlation to real world names. And yea I occasionally switch letters. I wouldnt really worry, (although you could use this as an excuse in school =D )

Starshade
2009-02-10, 06:02 PM
Never had any real diagnosis on reading/writing disorder, but my papers is scetchy; most of the psychological diagnosis papers as far i know, is unorganized, last time i had a psychological test, he said my files had "loose papers", unorganized, think my case in school was handled by untrained people for most part, hometaught ppl.

If i was diagnosed, my parents, and me, dont know it, and the papers lost.

At a good day, i seem to write ok, sometime i jumble up words and uses 1-2 hours on a forum post, while i can write short stories on other days.

For me, the hand coordination ability is worse than the writing, since, i positively, is horrible at any practical task. I can do finer work, as paining Warhammer miniatures, but practically, i dont seem to *Get it*, or work in any speed or accuracy doing practical work.

Only diagnosis i currently got, is Apergers, but: I got a small hunch now, i'm perhaps so emptatical of nature i positively "feel the pain" they feel, since i recognize all the issues they got, as a unpractical, a bit nerdy guy with some writing issues. I even now came home from visiting a Autist right now, who i know. The Psychologist who did the diagnosis, didnt even have the same native language as I, learned it perhaps 1-2 years previous our appointment.

Illiterate Scribe
2009-02-10, 06:26 PM
Considering there are so many different types of dyslexia and dysgraphia it wouldn't surprise me at all if you have some of those characteristics. On the other hand, it worries me that we as a world culture (but particularly in the US) consider individual variation in ability as disorder.

But since dysgraphia (at least, the way it manifests in a friend) is the result of a measurable defect in the nervous system ... isn't that pretty much the definition of a disorder?

SilentNight
2009-02-10, 07:36 PM
Well, I can certaintly say I have god awful handwriting, whether that's due to dysgraphia I have no idea.

Toastkart
2009-02-10, 08:10 PM
But since dysgraphia (at least, the way it manifests in a friend) is the result of a measurable defect in the nervous system ... isn't that pretty much the definition of a disorder?

If you're talking about a specific individual diagnosed by a qualified psychologist, then yes. What I meant more was that anything that's not the norm or standardized, especially in public schools, is regularly diagnosed as some kind of disorder rather than allowing individuals to have different strengths, weaknesses, and capacities. I hate to say it about my own profession, but materialist reductionism has given psychology a primarily policing function.

As for the definition of disorder, there's debate about that, but generally speaking to qualify for a disorder something must be: distressing to the individual, dysfunctional, deviant (i.e. out of the ordinary), and dangerous to the self or others. The last one is obviously the most debated, as not all disorders are dangerous.

blackfox
2009-02-10, 10:37 PM
Hm. My sister has dysgraphia along with other small-motor skills problems. I have problems with expressive language that my parents don't feel like having me tested for.

thubby
2009-02-10, 11:45 PM
a friend of mine is dyslexic. the only thing I've ever noticed is she takes a little longer to read texts.

*looks at notebook* i have always had a weird grip and terrible handwriting, my spacing is all over the place if i don't use cursive. even a weird sensation in the forearm. hmm
meh, i type everything anyway :smalltongue:

Deathslayer7
2009-02-10, 11:49 PM
I still do a lot of the errors people with dyslexia do, mixing p, b and d, mixing letters in a word (,including fantasy character names, i discovered in book 5 or so in Wheel of Time Nyanaeve isnt named Nynaeve :smallannoyed: ).

i couldn't even begin to spell her name unless I had time to try and learn it. :smallbiggrin: So don't feel too bad.

On that note, I also have bad handwriting or so my parents say, but they obviously don't look at their handwriting. I can hardly tell apart their "a" and "e" :smallsigh:

And my friend writes in cursive. Worst handwirting i have ever seen. Illegible 95%.

Starshade
2009-02-11, 02:04 AM
Hm. My sister has dysgraphia along with other small-motor skills problems. I have problems with expressive language that my parents don't feel like having me tested for.

For me, there might be some link between bad writing and motor skills, but not for all things i do manually.

More, i dont feel like i am a typical guy in first place, so its hard to compare with them. I got a noticable worse spatial sense than some men(but sit and twist maps and goes in wrong directions, usually dont know where north is exacly, etc).
Its nothing wrong with my sense of 3d structures or so, just, say, carpentry dont come naturally, since i dont "get" automatically how all alligns to make something. I hit with the hammer, just dont understand how the thing turn into something so naturally.
Socially, in school, i also was imaginative and played "lets pretend" in my early years, then suddenly at age of 10-12 stopped understand what whent on with the boys in my class, when they turned into a band of crazy teenagers.

I also ,like , got drawn to things as flowers, and knew in my late teens i loved small children. My sensibilities and abilities are there, just, a crazy mix of both male and typical female things to do.

Oddly, i got no sense i am anything but, male. So now, i understand, the "social problems" the psychologist thought i had, never really existed, i just think i'm a bit androgynous in the way i think, and dont understand the super malemale behaviour of rowdy teenagers. :smallamused:

So, i am a bit confused, dont know enough about writing disorders at all to know if its related to my problems writing.

Deathslayer: I'm usually good at names, since, i memorize them. But names i never hear spoken, sometime turn into a jumbled mess. I just felt a bit daft figuring out i mis read a name for 5000-6000 pages. -_-

Killersquid
2009-02-11, 09:48 AM
Hm...maybe I should get checked for dysgraphia. My handwriting is awful. Then again, I want to be a doctor, so terrible handwriting is a prerequisite.

Haruki-kun
2009-02-11, 10:29 AM
Huh....

I was diagnosed with Dyslexia when I was like..... 10. But reading this, it sounds a lot more like Dysgrafi, awful handwriting and everything. Back then they told me there were two different types of Dyslexia... I assume they meant this.

Starshade
2009-02-11, 11:47 AM
Huh....

I was diagnosed with Dyslexia when I was like..... 10. But reading this, it sounds a lot more like Dysgrafi, awful handwriting and everything. Back then they told me there were two different types of Dyslexia... I assume they meant this.

The two types of dyslexia are:
Surface dyslexia: Issues with unknown words, can read known words.

Phonological dyslexia: can read both known and unknown words, but got problems connecting sound and letters.

People with dysgraphia, got problems writing, not reading.

And all of these apparently can appear at same time, i can read, and read loud, so i'm not having phonetic dyslexia, i can read ok, even if i do some mistakes.
But my skill at writing is a bit odd, i do mistakes, repeatedly, and sometime even a PC dont help much. As far i know, i should be good at the grammar rules, really good, just my english suffer since i used so much time fixing spelling errors without understanding what i did wrong, and do them again, and again, and again, and again. :smallannoyed:

Desidus
2009-02-11, 08:15 PM
I was diagnosed with motor dysgraphia after a motorcycle accident where I suffered a major concussion but it has since gone away, or at least I assume it has since I haven't suffered any major symptoms in a couple months. Bloody hell it was not fun though.

But ya, like most people, hadn't heard of it till then. Sad, but at least it wasn't something I couldn't live through

Flame of Anor
2009-02-15, 02:27 AM
I have dysgraphia. I'm just thankful I do hardly any handwriting--I just type everything. Even standardized tests! Whee!