PDA

View Full Version : [Spells] An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure (PEACH)

DracoDei
2009-02-10, 03:48 PM
These are fairly off the top of my head, and I suspect this has been done before, but I certainly haven;t heard of it around here... I am especially interested to see what people think of the non-cleric caster levels I picked...

Detect Disease
Divination (Healing?)
Level: Clr 0, Drd 1, Pal 1, Rgr 1, Sor/Wiz 2, Adp 1, Gleaner 1
As per Detect Poison (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/detectPoison.htm), but detects diseases, which can be identified with a Heal check (only one check per disease allowed rather than the two allowed by Detect Poison). This spell differentiates between carriers (such as dire rats and those with dormant infections), and those actively sick, as well as revealing if an individual disease is in a contagious form.

Prevent Disease
Conjuration/Abjuration (Healing)
Level: Clr 2, Drd 3, Pal 3, Rgr 3, Adp 3, Gleaner 3
Components: V, S, F, DF
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Touch
Target: 1 creature
Duration: See Text
Saving Throw: Fortitude Negates (Harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (Harmless)
This protects the subject with protection against one disease of the caster's choosing (provided they have the correct focus).
If the disease is a naturally occurring one the spells duration is instantaneous and it provides 1 year of total immunity per caster level to the target against naturally occuring instances of that disease and a +5 bonus on fortitude saves against supernaturally inflicted diseases that are also found naturally (such as if the target is later effected by a Contagion spell).
If the disease to be protected against is supernatural then the spell has a duration of 1 hour per caster level and grants a +10 bonus against saves to avoid contracting that disease.
Note that a single person can benefit from multiple castings of this spell at once, but each must be against a separate specific disease.
Focus (needed even for divine casters, may not be negated with Eschew Material Components, regardless of what the GM decides the cost for a specific set of vials is.): Two sealed vials of blood, one taken from someone currently suffering from the disease to be protected against, and one taken from someone who recovered from that disease without magical or supernatural effects.(Including a paladin's divine health class feature for instance).

Prevent Disease, Mass
Level: Clr 4, Drd 5, Pal 4, Adp 5, Gleaner 5
Range: Close
Target: 1 creature per caster caster level no two of which can be more than 30 feet apart.

As per Prevent Disease except as above.

Lesser Plague-Bane
Level: Clr 7, Drd 8
Range: Long
Target: 1 creature per caster level squared no two of which can be more than 400 feet apart.

Plague-Bane, Greater
Level: Clr 9
Casting Time: 1 hour
Range: 1000 feet per caster level (line of effect is not required)
Target: 1 creature per caster level cubed

Plague-Slayer's Ward
Level: Clr 9
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: Standard Action
Range: Touch
Target: 1 creature
Duration: 1 day per caster level

As per Prevent Disease except as above and that the disease must be specified by name (instead of requiring a focus other than the divine focus) and it provides full immunity for the duration to that disease even if it is of supernatural origin.

The Mentalist
2009-02-10, 04:24 PM
I don't know anything about the gleaner so I can't say anything about it but should Druids not get equal access to these spells it seems more like their thing to me I could of course be wrong though. The rest of the levels seem good although I would suggest lower the Paladin level by one and I'd it doesn't seem to fit Rangers.

DracoDei
2009-02-10, 05:44 PM
The Gleaner (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/gk7uKJeF296jRcx1NJw.html) is an NPC class, which you can currently (and for the last months if not years) see a link to on the menu bar on the left side of most pages on this website. Note that I am NOT saying it isn't easy to miss/forget about. As a non-core NPC class where or not they get any of this, let alone which levels they get it is a less than totally critical point.

My take on Druids and these spells: Most druids believe in letting nature take its course most of the time, so a spell designed to prevent naturally occurring epidemics (which are more a problem in urban environments) would be slightly less of their schtick than it would be a cleric's.

As for Ranger's: They get Remove Disease so it seems logical to me that they would have at least some access to these spells (think of their poor, low HD, animal companions coming down with rabies every other week :smallfrown: :smallfrown: :smallfrown: ).

The Mentalist
2009-02-10, 10:57 PM
I've seen the link just never been interested. I understand your point about druids though I suppose your right, "Druids always choose the hard way it encourages natural selection."