PDA

View Full Version : RPGA Question

Foeofthelance
2009-02-10, 08:36 PM
I've recently started attending officially sanctioned RPGA events, playing a Dragonborn Paladin of Tempus. During character creation, I made a rather simple (and wittingly) mistake: I forgot to purchase a ranged weapon, and spent all of my gold.

In the course of the first module, the party came across a wagon wheel with spokes. Not carrying much equipment (my gold had gone into heavy armor, a sword, a holy symbol, and an adventurers kit), I picked it up and started carrying it with me. Cue battlescenes, where I turn it into a frisbee.

DM allowed it, ruling it a 1d4+strength thrown improvised weapon. I then used it throughout the rest of the battles, though I also picked up a hand crossbow from a dead goblin.

For the RPGA judges/rules lawyers in the playground...would I be allowed to keep my wagon wheel between adventures?

Mando Knight
2009-02-10, 08:46 PM
It's... an improvised weapon. I'd upgrade to a javelin, hand axe, or throwing hammer... rather cheap per use... If I were the DM and you asked to bring in a wheel from another session as an improvised weapon, I'd ask why.

Foeofthelance
2009-02-10, 08:55 PM
Mostly because it's fun to chuck a wagon wheel at enemies when they get annoying. It was done as a bit of a spur of the moment thing, and while yeah, a better more dedicated ranged weapon makes sense from a mechanics point of view, I like the little bit of characterization it adds to the guy. After all, how many paladins of the God of Battles do you see charging into the fray, trying to smite their chosen foe with something off of a cart?

I probably will buy said dedicated weapon, at least to make sure my bit of whimsy doesn't get the party into trouble, but I just like the idea.

caith
2009-02-10, 11:30 PM
get a masterwork one made, get it some returning and go with it!

Keld Denar
2009-02-11, 12:35 AM
As an RPGA judge, nothing carries through from one game to another unless you have a cert for it. Typically non-standard things like that get dropped out of RPGA games. Its kinda a shame, but thats what you get with tournament play.

Its a shame too. Back in 3.5, my Gnome Enchanter met a buiness man who sold him a really really really nice suit. No cert, so it was only really flavor through the rest of his games.

Foeofthelance
2009-02-11, 10:35 AM
What's a cert? I'm afriad it didn't come up with the DM at the end of the module, so would that mean I also don't get to keep the crossbow I picked up?