PDA

View Full Version : I don't enjoy reading in my spare time therefore me=bad?

Jimp
2009-02-10, 09:09 PM
A topic I've thought about bringing up here for a while now. I don't enjoy reading books in my free time. I can't really explain it, I just don't. Reading like that doesn't appeal to me and I don't like doing it. That's not to say I don't read at all, I enjoy articles and scientific research style things. I just don't like books/novels/biographies etc. Some people seem to really look down at me for this. It's rarely a 'you must be durr stupid' response but more a 'really? what's wrong with you?' response, which is questionably more hurtful.
So, playgrounders, I pose you the question: I don't like reading books. Am I therefore bad/stupid/a downright nasty guy?

Jack Squat
2009-02-10, 09:12 PM
No...I don't really read in my spare time either. It's not that I don't like to, it's just there's other things I'd like to do. Mostly hang out with friends.

However, I do read cookbooks like novels, so I tend to get some odd looks every time I get a new one :smalltongue:

Em Blackleaf
2009-02-10, 09:23 PM
What's worse, is I've been made fun of for reading in my spare time. :smallannoyed:

As long as you don't make fun of people who do read, I've got nothing against you. :smalltongue:

Recaiden
2009-02-10, 09:29 PM
I don't think its a bad thing. I haven't read much in my spare time until I started again just about a week ago. Don't make fun of people who do or don't read. It doesn't really matter.

Project_Mayhem
2009-02-10, 09:34 PM
you = bad

you are bad/stupid/a downright nasty guy

:smallwink:

Felixaar
2009-02-10, 09:36 PM
Well, you're neither a bad nor stupid nor downright nasty guy, so I can only assume that the way you are which you arent would not be caused by a lack of reading if you were, which you arent.

Basically, No, Jimp, your still cool.

Though I have to admit, I would have thought you would be the kind of person to read in your spare time, but... meh.

I like to read, but often find other things to do, like hanging on the internet or... shudder... TV. I'm working on it, honest.

Jimp
2009-02-10, 09:38 PM
you = bad

you are bad/stupid/a downright nasty guy

:smallwink:

Dang. I have been ousted! :smallwink:

Rutskarn
2009-02-10, 09:40 PM
Aw, see, what did you expect, Jimp? This is the mothalovin' playground.

We love you no matter what you do.

Unless you're running an illegal infant fighting ring.

In which case, you might catch some flak. Because dammit, you're muscling in on my territory.

Syka
2009-02-10, 09:43 PM
Nope. My boyfriend rarely reads stuff. The only books he has, other than school related stuff, are Dragonlance, some Star Wars, a book about Film schools and some travel books. Oh, and Sun Tzu's Art of War. Nothing is wrong with him, he just prefers visuals over words, which is why movies>books and video games>table top for him.

Me, on the otherhand, I devour books. I just finished Sense and Sensibility, I'm working on my second time through Pride and Prejudice, and just started The Picture of Dorian Gray. But there is nothing that inherently makes me better than him. It's just different interests.

Jimp
2009-02-10, 09:43 PM
Unless you're part of an illegal infant fighting ring.

In which case, you might catch some flak.

. . .
So how about them Redsox?

JeffreyToTheMax
2009-02-10, 10:15 PM
I don't enjoy reading in my spare time therefore me=bad?

Yeah, I'd say so.

Or, less inaccurately, not at all.

I'm sure there are things you enjoy other than reading, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Me, I enjoy reading, writing, and hiding from both sunshine and social contact by shielding myself behind nearby objects. So there's a rich spectrum of interests represented here.

Groundhog
2009-02-10, 10:17 PM
I don't think so. I read almost anything within reach, but I certainly don't think that everyone else has to do that.

Icewalker
2009-02-11, 03:48 AM
Yeh, whatever you feel like doing. I don't read in my free time very often, I usually do something else, like hang on here on the forums. When I do finally pick up a book I usually read it pretty intensely though.

bluewind95
2009-02-11, 04:21 AM
Reading or not reading, I don't think really count towards what makes you a good or bad person. If you told me that in person, you'd probably get an eyebrow raised at you, but not because it's bad. It would be because, since I enjoy reading as a hobby, I find it a bit hard to understand how it would be like to not like reading. So my eyebrow-raising would be towards myself as I would be a tad frustrated at my inability to empathize with it.

Maybe some people are weirded out for the same reason? They can't understand it?

Mordokai
2009-02-11, 04:36 AM
What's worse, is I've been made fun of for reading in my spare time. :smallannoyed:

As long as you don't make fun of people who do read, I've got nothing against you. :smalltongue:

That pretty much sums it up. I know I've got more than a fair shair of O'rly?! looks when I told somebody that I enjoy spending my free time reading books. What's worse, I rather spend my money on a book than on a CD, going to a movie or *gasp* boozing myself up on Friday night. Can you imagine that?

From the looks of it, reading makes you worse off then having leprosy.

Manga Shoggoth
2009-02-11, 04:49 AM
A topic I've thought about bringing up here for a while now. I don't enjoy reading books in my free time. I can't really explain it, I just don't. Reading like that doesn't appeal to me and I don't like doing it. That's not to say I don't read at all, I enjoy articles and scientific research style things. I just don't like books/novels/biographies etc. Some people seem to really look down at me for this. It's rarely a 'you must be durr stupid' response but more a 'really? what's wrong with you?' response, which is questionably more hurtful.
So, playgrounders, I pose you the question: I don't like reading books. Am I therefore bad/stupid/a downright nasty guy?

Well, I suspect the highlighted text eliminates possibility of you being an illiterate buffon. That takes care of the "stupid" angle. And possibly some musical ones too.

"bad" and "downright nasty guy"? Well, I can't speak for your moral stance, but I am fairly sure that should you be called upon to support a tent you will be very efficient at the job.

Suggestion: Start writing a novel(1). Then when people look down on you for not reading say you are too busy writing the novel. Then suggest that they act as pre-readers. That should shut them up...

Hmmm. I think I need more sleep

(1) You will note that I didn't say "Finish"...

thubby
2009-02-11, 05:22 AM
well, no, it doesn't make you a bad person. it certainly makes you an odd person.
just don't give up on books.

Quincunx
2009-02-11, 06:03 AM
I am giving your post the "Really? What's wrong with you?" look, but without any malice. I'm a text addict and trying to wrap my brain around the absence of that gravitational pull is the puzzling part. The better question might be "What sort of people are you hanging around with to get that expression. . .and do you mind introducing us?" Knowing that you like either shorter or factual reads is just fine.

WillWolf
2009-02-11, 06:14 AM
Are you morally bad: no.

Are you stupid: no.

Are you in case less of an opinion: no.

However, I am personally disappointed. I know we've never met or even spoken before; however, I am saddened. I am saddened because the art of the novel is a dying form, each generation seems to read less and less, which is instead replaced with other forms of media. Because I love novels, long non-fiction, and short stories; because I like those arts, because I think they caputure the essence of humanity, more so than any other genre (with the sole exception of stage acting) of media entertainment, I am saddened that we have lost yet another one.

I know this is not a statement which is going to be popular; however, I had to state it, sorry.

Athaniar
2009-02-11, 09:36 AM
You do not enjoy reading in your spare time? HERETIC! You shall perish horribly by being assaulted by angry authors wielding 1000+ page books!

Just kidding, of course. I, myself, greatly enjoy reading, but I do not think any less of those who don't. It's your own choice.
Heretic.

Killersquid
2009-02-11, 09:50 AM

Same here. I then point them to the terrible literacy rate of this country, and tell them to shut up. Seriously, when has reading in spare time become stupid? I have a perfect image that sums up what they think, but I can't find it.

Spiryt
2009-02-11, 10:01 AM
Buks suck!

:smalltongue:

And seriously, I don't thing there's something wrong here. I read only those books that I like. Reading something new is big achievement.

Canadian
2009-02-11, 10:12 AM
I don't know how to read... I'm illiterate!

Mauve Shirt
2009-02-11, 10:36 AM
I have so many books I want to read and no motivation to do so. :smallsigh:
No you are not bad. There are lots of other things to do that are not reading and end up sucking me in despite my desire to read *coughplaygroundcough* and that does make me a lazy person.

GoC
2009-02-11, 02:56 PM
Short answer: Yes.

Is it bad that I think that would be really cool?:smalleek:

Player_Zero
2009-02-11, 03:15 PM
We love you no matter what you do.

'Cept you, Rutskarn. We will never accept you.

Mordokai
2009-02-11, 03:16 PM
Is it bad that I think that would be really cool?:smalleek:

Short answer: Yes.