PDA

View Full Version : Renaming Spells for Fun?

Caeldrim
2009-02-10, 09:22 PM
Anyone else in here like to call their spells by names other than those listed in the books?

IIRC the PHB encourages PCs to rename spells, and even alter the way they're described (i think it cites a magic missile that looks like glowy purple daggers being thrown at the target)

Obviously this would only work if you were consistent and told the DM beforehand, but I've found a few spells just naturally find themselves renamed over the course of a campaign.

Alter Fortune (for example) is now known as 'oh no you didn't', and Celerity has been renamed to 'The wizard goes first'. (I suspect this is a reference to the old batman-wizard thread)

Anyone else got some examples of renamed spells?

Shades of Gray
2009-02-10, 09:27 PM
Phantasmal Killer: Oh gods! The rats!

Assassin89
2009-02-10, 09:39 PM
I have one for irresistible dance, although I have not used it.
Depending on the type of dance that is performed, the name is based on your assessment of how the target would feel.

For example:
Carmelldansen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu0sgQTrF7c&feature=related) = humiliating dance

An alternative is to name irresistible dance "do the [insert dance name]"

sonofzeal
2009-02-10, 09:41 PM
Phantasmal Killer: Oh gods! The rats!
Now is that a Lovecraft reference, a Head Injury Theater reference, or just random? :smallwink:

Frosty
2009-02-10, 09:51 PM
Sometimes making similar sounding names is also fun, like Bugby's Duel Challenge (traditionally, you challenge someoneto a duel by using your guantlet to slap someone in the face)

Shades of Gray
2009-02-10, 09:53 PM
Now is that a Lovecraft reference, a Head Injury Theater reference, or just random? :smallwink:

Actually a 1984 reference...

charl
2009-02-10, 09:56 PM
I have one for irresistible dance, although I have not used it.
Depending on the type of dance that is performed, the name is based on your assessment of how the target would feel.

For example:
Carmelldansen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu0sgQTrF7c&feature=related) = humiliating dance

An alternative is to name irresistible dance "do the [insert dance name]"

My personal favourite has got to be the "Irresistible Clog".

Or if we are drifting into PG-13 territory, the "Irresistible strip-tease".

Zergrusheddie
2009-02-10, 10:14 PM
Oxidizing-material Sphere, or something along those lines for Fireball.

I've actually heard of that one being used at the table. It sort of derailed the entire encounter to where everyone was trying to think of other ways to say different spells. Interesting times...

Best of luck
-Eddie

imperialspectre
2009-02-10, 10:19 PM
From a fellow PC in a PbP: Disintegrate = "Make Hole."

Caeldrim
2009-02-10, 10:25 PM
Have also heard tasha's hideous laughter referred to as 'now who's laughing?'

In a strange reversal of this idea I knew a friend once who referred to a particular type of drug as 'tasha's hideous laughter'.

Have also heard dominate person referred to as 'who's the boss'.

ericgrau
2009-02-10, 10:26 PM
An alternative is to name irresistible dance "do the [insert dance name] hustle!"
doop-doo-doop-da-doop-da-doop-doop...

Kantolin
2009-02-10, 10:54 PM
I've renamed spells, but usually to represent a different methodology behind them over amusement. For example, a cleric of Kord may use 'Strength of Kord' (bull's strength) and 'Might of Kord' (Righteous might), while my sorcerors also frequently rename their spells.

Ascension
2009-02-10, 11:02 PM
Have also heard tasha's hideous laughter referred to as 'now who's laughing?'

I kind of want to call it "Why so serious?" now... Would that make Eyebite (yes, I know it isn't what it sounds like, just work with me here) "Magic Trick"?

I like to theme Sorcerers, since I figure inborn magic shouldn't rise as a smorgasboard of random powers but as a specific suite of focused abilities. I rolled an abysmal Strength for a Sorc one time (initially 4, my DM let me bump it to 6) and ended up saying that he developed magical abilities as a product of being picked on as a kid, and all his abilities were thematically linked to his envy of strong people. A lot of related spells already fit, but you could have fun using nomenclature to draw stronger bonds here. For example, he took Tenser's Floating Disk so he'd be able to transport heavy objects... he could've called it something cheesy like "saucer of strength"...

Oracle_Hunter
2009-02-10, 11:27 PM
I like to theme Sorcerers, since I figure inborn magic shouldn't rise as a smorgasboard of random powers but as a specific suite of focused abilities.

See, I wish I had gotten around to playing my Sorc/Fighter. He only had middling physical scores, but he specialized in Transmutation spells to fix that. Clearly Transformation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/transformation.htm) would involve a Battle Aura and lots of screaming... and the Wizard with permanent Arcane Sight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/arcaneSight.htm) would only have one thing to say (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq5csKvXCT4).

More seriously, I think 4E is fertile ground for this. I've been working on a way to rename (and fluff!) the powers for my Cleric of Melora. I've already done it for some of the summons :smallbiggrin:

Delaney Gale
2009-02-11, 12:56 AM
cheat- "How dare you insinuate that I'm cheating at cards with magic? I can't believe you have so little faith in my sense of fairness! Just because I get my spells from years of study and not from a shiny deity doesn't mean I use them unethically!"

detect magic- Delaney's Magic Headache. Instead of manifesting as visual auras, magic is detected by means of headache. Weak auras are a vague aching, stronger auras are like tension headaches, powerful auras are cluster headaches, and overpowering auras are particularly nasty migraines- the caster ends up on the floor for hours, unable to deal with light or sound and probably too nauseated to keep even water down.

d13
2009-02-11, 02:05 AM
Dimension Door: "Can't touch this ~".

Protection From Arrows: "Get those stings off me ò_O!!!".

Haste: "Increase Agi" (Blame Ragnarok Online).

Grease: Boccob's Half-Diggested Dinner

xanaphia
2009-02-11, 02:08 AM
Cure Light Wounds --> Apply Light Band-aid

Create Undead --> Summon Scooby Doo

Ganurath
2009-02-11, 02:16 AM
Glibness: Sales Pitch
Create Water: Hygiene
Rope Trick: Hidey Hole
Quillblast: GIGA DRILL BREAKER!

charl
2009-02-11, 02:17 AM
Create Undead --> Frankenstein's Taxidermy

cupkeyk
2009-02-11, 02:49 AM
I call 4e's cloud of daggers "force hornets." And icy terrain "ice flowers."

i like a nature-y feel to my spells.

Avilan the Grey
2009-02-11, 03:00 AM
I don't know how easy it is to actually invent (in character) new spells in D&D, but in other rule systems I have found it beneficial to research my own spells (with DM permission, obviously):
Not only is Magic Missile renamed to "Shoggoth's Daggerswarm", but it now makes acid damage instead of magical. For example.
It is good when you are up against people who thinks they know how to counter your spells, etc. Plus it gives an unique feeling to your character.

Thurbane
2009-02-11, 03:08 AM
Grease = Mordenkainen's Lubrication

Shades of Gray
2009-02-11, 03:22 AM
Hold Person: Vulcan sleep chop!

Enlong
2009-02-11, 03:41 AM
See, I wish I had gotten around to playing my Sorc/Fighter. He only had middling physical scores, but he specialized in Transmutation spells to fix that. Clearly Transformation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/transformation.htm) would involve a Battle Aura and lots of screaming... and the Wizard with permanent Arcane Sight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/arcaneSight.htm) would only have one thing to say (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq5csKvXCT4).

More seriously, I think 4E is fertile ground for this. I've been working on a way to rename (and fluff!) the powers for my Cleric of Melora. I've already done it for some of the summons :smallbiggrin:

Wow. I must say I probably should have seen that one coming. But I'm surprised that you, of all people, didn't include a single trope there.

... someone needs to rename one of their spells "Hydro Storm".

Grease = Mordenkainen's Lubrication
Ow. I just took, like, 5d6 aggravating pun damage there.

Urthdigger
2009-02-11, 05:53 AM
Whenever I transfer a touch spell to my familiar, it has to be accompanied with "You got the touch... you got THE POWEEEER!", which I suppose works as an alternate spell name.

The other variant I have is a tad bit insane. My DM has a tendency to describe massively damaging attacks as having hit the opponent in the crotch. This has led to all my Maximized spells being crotch-seeking variants, and making my weasel early on earn the nickname "Electric crotch-seeking weasel"

Ascension
2009-02-11, 06:17 AM
Your DM is Bert (http://www.sluggy.com/daily.php?date=090111)?

Leon
2009-02-11, 06:22 AM
Baleful Polymorph - Bufos Hex (Always used to turn the target into a Toad)

bosssmiley
2009-02-11, 08:22 AM
IMG:

Evard's Black Tentacles, aka "Hentai MADNESS!!!"
Tenser's Floating Disk, aka "Summon Hoverdish"
Enlarge - "Engorge" ("Ahuh huhhuh huh")
Mordenkainen's Disjunction - "Uncontrollable Hideous Whining"
Summon Monster/SNA n - "Summon Cannonfodder n"
Divine Power/Righteous Might combo - "The Power of Greyskull"
Shapechange - "Shapecheat"
Overland Flight/Teleport - "Wipe Dissolve"

AslanCross
2009-02-11, 08:36 AM
IMG:

Evard's Black Tentacles, aka "Hentai MADNESS!!!"

:smalleek:
Ugh, that just reminds me of what one of my players told me today. "Mage Hand," "Black Tentacles" and "Jaela Daran" do not belong in the same sentence. Ugh.

Anyway, I often rename the metamagicked spells my wizard villains have prepared.
Energy Substituted (Acid), Empowered Fireball ---> Mass Corrosion
Explosive Fireball --> Flare Star
Heightened Orb of Cold --> Orb of Hypothermia
Widened Earth Reaver --> Dire Fissure

Once, I had a hobgoblin warcaster drop a scintillating sphere on my PCs. When the Wizard identified the sphere, I told them the name. The party rogue's player, who hates Twilight, said "Oh, so it scintillates like Edward Cullen?" The Wizard's player then quipped "Everybody, watch out! The hobgoblin is casting Cullensphere!"
I glared at her (the rogue), and swore to never use that name again. "Stormsphere" was the substitute.

Bayar
2009-02-11, 10:08 AM
Abrupt jaunt - HAX !
Expeditious retreat - speedhack
Overland flight - flyhack
True Strike - aimbot
Magic missile - summon silver bullet
Alter self - ilikedressingup (GTA 3 reference)

d13
2009-02-11, 10:55 AM
Dominate Person/Monster --> All your base are belong to us

Explosive Runes --> Someone set up us the bomb

Open/Close, Knock --> May I help you with that?

Dancing Lights --> Retarded Will O' Wisps

Aron Times
2009-02-11, 11:10 AM
Mind Rape -> Programmed Amnesia

Darth Stabber
2009-02-11, 12:02 PM
My Warlock renamed his invocations
Eldritch Blast = Purple ray of hate, Hate beam, or just Hate
Hideous Blow = Hate Strike
The darkvision one = Blacksight
The darkness one = Snuff the sun

Actually this character didn't start out a warlock, This was from a ravenloft game where my friends and I got misted to Barovia(starting as d20 modern Characters). I have a tendency to be a nice guy, and when asked for what I wanted in exchange for my knowledge of technology, I asked to learn magic. NOT SPECIFIC ENOUGH. After repeated beatings, and torturer my "teacher" succeeds in his combination of breaking the woobie (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BreakTheCutie) and corrupt the woobie (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CorruptTheCutie). This leaves my character with extreme mental instability, a mutated and mutilated form, and the ability to focus all of his hate, anger, shame, resentment, loneliness, and bitterness into purple energy beams. When I met up with my comrades, We were seperated before i made the deal, they barely recognized me, and were horrified by the transformation (it wasn't until later that I realized the full extent of what had happened to me). Excellent horror game.

Other Spells
Protection from arrows - Fight in the Shade
Eagle's Splendor - Sex sells
raise dead - I got better
Charm person - How you doin'
Dominate X - Enslave
Suggestion - Simon Says
Irresistible Dance - Hokey pokey
Enervation - Wight's touch
True Strike - guide the hand
Fire seeds - Nutbombs
Flesh to stone - Statueification
Pyrotechnics - Simmons's flame display (named after KISS's Gene Simmons)
Acid Splash - Hydrochloric spit
Ray of frost - Chill
Animate Dead - Thriller (added sweet dance moves, I mean somatic components)
AMF - Pwnosphere
Disjuction - EMP
Spell Immunity - Protection from {insert spell name here)
Finger of Death - Dirt nap
Symbol of pain - picture of Barbra Streisand.
Scrying - Voyeuristic visions
Geas - Mission Briefing

Dragonsdoom
2009-02-11, 01:01 PM
Dissect Secret Floors!

bobspldbckwrds
2009-02-11, 02:47 PM
meteor swarm--call of apocalypse

animate dead--minion rebirth

cause fear--waking nightmare

and an interesting aside, in one of the more recent games i played in, my party was witness to an execution in an arcanist village where the means was a scroll of meteor swarm, and he pulled out his guitar and played the intro to "crazy train" as background for it.
... i love having band mates in my gaming group.

Enlong
2009-02-11, 03:12 PM
Disjuction - EMP
Naw, it should be MEP. Magic Elimination Pulse.

Valdar
2009-02-11, 03:14 PM
Magic Missile: Generic Untyped Damage.

Riva
2009-02-11, 06:54 PM
I was playing a Warlock in a 4E campaign, level two or three, and I jokingly threw up the horns and said "This is hexin' hand" and shook my right, "and this is my blastin' hand" and shook the left. My DM took me seriously (its considered a survival trait) and from then on I would shake the appropriate digits at the little model on the grid and make a sound effect to signal what my actions were.

Good times.

Khorebh
2009-02-25, 01:25 PM
A player in one of my games once played a Wiz/Drd/Arcane Hierophant, with the spin that she was just very, very good with animals.

All her spells? Altered for the flavour of the animals she was most often accompanied by. I will name just one, the one that most often makes me crack up because of the description she used for it.

"Bigby's Interposing Duck."

Harperfan7
2009-02-25, 04:19 PM
Enlarge - E NAY CHUCK!

Cat's Grace - Kitty Quickness

Mr Pants
2009-02-25, 04:29 PM
I translated an entire character sheet to Orky.

barbarian -> Boy
Crusader -> Painboy
Ability scores were renamed to cutty, shooty, tuff, brainy, wisdom and big
BAB is renamed weapon skill
greatsword -> big cutta
sling -> dakka dakka
maneuevers -> cuhts
revitalizing strike -> Gork'll fix it!
bone crusher -> righ in da jibbliez
battle leader's charge -> da boss' charge
stances -> planz
martial spirit -> tuffer n nails
fast movement -> red (da red 'uns go fasta!)
rage -> WAAAGH!
steely resolve -> da tuffest
feats -> gud tings
power attack -> clobba
cleave -> big swing
toughness -> tuffness
flaws -> Not so gud tings
shaky -> not very shooty
loud mouthed -> da loudest

I actually forgot what the rest of the sheet means

Edit: A buddy of mine renamed Tasha's Hideous Laughter to Grandpa Willickers' Dirty Joke.

Zaq
2009-02-25, 04:45 PM
The only one I've ever used in-game was to change Ice Knife into Exploding Pearl (not very funny, but it fit the character). I've had a friend turn Disrupt Undead into Laser Eye Beams. That was pretty awesome. Oh, and Warlocks don't get "Eldritch Blast," they get "Lazors pew pew." Fact.

I'm surprised no one has turned Summon Monster into "I choose you!"

ShadowFighter15
2009-02-25, 06:30 PM
There's probably a few spell or ability names you could rip from Godannar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godannar), just from this clip from the first episode (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijZlrQmLRsQ) I got:

Wall of Force: Angel Wall (would work for an aasimar or half-celestial spellcaster)
Hellfire Warlock's Hellfire Shield: Spiral Fire
Flesh to Stone: Heart Breaker
Death from Above (Tiger Claw strike): Soul Breaker (only when following up the above spell, otherwise the name just seems stupid)

Couldn't think of anything for Gravity Bomber and I'm sure there's a ToB manoeuvre for Counter Knuckle.

Graymayre
2009-02-25, 10:33 PM
Animal Growth - Purina Pet Chow
Power Word Blind - Tub Girl
Power Word Stun - Meatspin
Power Word Kill - One guy, One Cup
Finger of Death - The Widowmaker
Blight - Enviromental Rights Revoked
Divine Favor - Divine Loan
Insect Plague - Pulling a Moses

ZeroSpace9000
2009-02-26, 12:38 AM
Graymayre, you are an evil, evil man.

ErgoBibamus
2009-02-26, 08:36 AM
Playing a Diviner Wizard with some Eastern flavor and Naruto nods:
Mirror Image = Kage Bushin no Jutsu (Shadow Clone Technique)
Fly = Kazekami no Kimono (Robe of the Wind God)
Blast of Force = Kaze ni Yama (River of Wind)
Orb of Force = HADOKEN!!! (Hadoken)

Zaq
2009-02-26, 01:34 PM
Ah, here's one I forgot.

My roommate is playing an unarmed swordsage in my campaign.

He took a specific Desert Wind maneuver.

One that sets your weapon on fire.

Or in his case, his fist. Before punching really hard.

FALCON...!

Tyrmatt
2009-02-26, 01:48 PM
I refer you to the Penny Arcade D&D podcast and Gabe's utter joy at casting
"Jim's Magic MissileTM"

Also whenever we summon in Celestial backup the whole group chorus
"ANGELIC HORDES! COME FORTH!!!"