PDA

View Full Version : what should happen next

12ramstenbrent
2009-02-10, 11:08 PM
I think Vaarsuvius, after his/her children have been killed, should go insane. During this insanity s/he should find a way to true resurrect the black dragon's son and magically force him to become his/her own son. This would enrage the black dragon so s/he could demand the souls of his/her children back (somewhere in this Vaarsuvius could figure out a way to trick the dragon into going against its mother).
A good way to enter this sub-plot would be to show Vaarsuvius in crushing depression then cut to Durkon (and maybe to the acid swamp where the black dragon's body disintegrated), then have a slow build of Vaarsuvius escalating into maniacal laughter (or maybe something involving the small demon).
Of course, this is just what I think.

Gamiress
2009-02-10, 11:18 PM
Unfortunately, this would seriously derail the story, because V is not the main character. V is A main character, but the title of THE main character seems to fall squarely on Roy. V going crazy, while an interesting idea, is just not practical.

Milcho
2009-02-10, 11:31 PM
I wonder to what extent V's view of good/evil might be skewed.

I wonder how much he'll blame any of these events on OOTS, and how much would this affect his apparent devotion to helping Roy with his quest.

The reason I say this is because V hasn't been too keen of anyone in OOTS except Roy.

I guess we'll see.

Assassin89
2009-02-10, 11:46 PM
Although you believe these events will occur, I highly doubt that the Giant will follow those ideas. The Giant creates the plot, meaning that there is a small chance what you describe might occur, but it will be purely coincidental.

Berserk Monk
2009-02-10, 11:52 PM
I think Vaarsuvius, after his/her children have been killed, should go insane. During this insanity s/he should find a way to true resurrect the black dragon's son and magically force him to become his/her own son. This would enrage the black dragon so s/he could demand the souls of his/her children back (somewhere in this Vaarsuvius could figure out a way to trick the dragon into going against its mother).

How is V going to find the dragon? She's leaving this plane of existence. If V could find her normally, couldn't s/he just get blast her with high level spells and undo the soul bind thing.

Kish
2009-02-11, 05:16 PM
I wonder to what extent V's view of good/evil might be skewed.

I wonder how much he'll blame any of these events on OOTS, and how much would this affect his apparent devotion to helping Roy with his quest.

The reason I say this is because V hasn't been too keen of anyone in OOTS except Roy.
:smallconfused: I'm pretty sure Haley is spelled H-A-L-E-Y, not R-O-Y...

hamishspence
2009-02-11, 05:25 PM
well, in Origin, we do get suggestion that V respects Roy somewhat, after Roy demonstrated a fairly formidable intellect (and out-jargoned V)

So, after Haley, Roy is probably highest on V's "respect" chart.

Myou
2009-02-11, 05:35 PM
I don't think killing children is a good move, it's very unpleasant seeing children murdered in cold blood and would really hurt the tone of the trip. I think Rich is above such crude moves.

In a darker story it might be appropriate, but not in OOTS, a comedy adventure.

hamishspence
2009-02-11, 05:37 PM
It worked well in SOD, but I agree it would have to be very carefully handled to have any chance of working here.

Silverraptor
2009-02-11, 05:43 PM
Rich probably won't make the story that dark. He even said that he would always keep an even balace of funny and drama. I for one think that Rich is ammusing himself over our posts here and preparing another, "Comic everyday to avoid the drama bound comics" as he did back during LG's betrayal. It's another possibility on why he has delayed making 630 for this long. Not that there couldn't be a lot of "Other" reasons, but he is probably preparing for something.

hamishspence
2009-02-11, 05:46 PM
I rather hope so. Still, "dark" and "funny" (or at least- funny in part) occasionally go hand in hand- the Symbol Ball in the throne room being obvious example.

bluewind95
2009-02-11, 05:58 PM
I rather hope so. Still, "dark" and "funny" (or at least- funny in part) occasionally go hand in hand- the Symbol Ball in the throne room being obvious example.

That really is very subjective. :smalltongue:

Personally, I highly disliked that strip and didn't think it one bit funny. But to each their own. :smalltongue:

I still hope that V's kids and mate will survive this, though, somehow. Preferably in some way that doesn't involve V selling his/her soul to evil.

[TS] Shadow
2009-02-11, 06:43 PM
A good way to enter this sub-plot would be to show Vaarsuvius in crushing depression then cut to Durkon (and maybe to the acid swamp where the black dragon's body disintegrated), then have a slow build of Vaarsuvius escalating into maniacal laughter (or maybe something involving the small demon).
Of course, this is just what I think.

You're theory is very twisted and dark. It would probably be very dramatic and awesome, but I don't think the comic's ready to go that far yet. What's most likely is that V's gonna talk to Qarr now. I can't wait for that conversation...

12ramstenbrent
2009-02-11, 11:00 PM
In response to the post #2 by Gamiress I do realize that Roy is in fact THE main character and that Vaarsuvius, overdue for a sub-plot, doesn't deserve this much at once. But that wasn't what I was asking, I thought that after my suggested maniacal laughter strip the author might cut to either the Elan and Durkon plot or even back to the Roy in the afterlife plot. After that I would imagine that the Vaarsuvius plot would occasionally pop in to say hi with time lapses included giving him/her as much or as little attention as the writer wants.
Anyway this plot works better with time lapses, even more so in explaining how s/he found a cleric that could cast a 9th level true reserection. But best of all, Vaarsuvius gets her/his children back and gets them revived so everyone can act like it didn't happen and can get back to the original story.

in reply to post #3 by Milcho, Vaarsuvius seems to be equal with Haley in most ways especially in the earlier comics since s/he joined OOTS along with Haley in Origins of PCs. But most everything else I agree with Milcho.

In defiance of post #4 by Assassin 89, this was a direct contact but not a attention graber that the author might find or someone that knows the author might find. This is not a request nor even an expectation. Also I expect that if he did find it (estimated chances less than 3%) the chances are most ceritanly less than 1% that he would use it. This plot line option is for my benfit only (unless someone would want to use it, see thread title) and is here for putting-it-on-the-record's sake. And I don't "believe" these events are going to occur; they are just an idea. It's fun to have an imagination!

In retort to post #5 by Berserk Monk, it's a giant, towering, evil, vengeful dragon. Do you believe for one second that it won't be constantly using divination magic to see the soul-crushing anguish it has left with its victim that killed it's son. When it sees its son alive again what makes you think it won't come rushing back from its dimension.

Also this is not a descent into madness story. It is only about fleeting insanity.

David Argall
2009-02-12, 01:09 AM
Our writer has mention somebody paying a heavy price for getting the party back together. Right now, V is looking to be a very strong candidate.

Marsala
2009-02-12, 01:25 AM
Our writer has mention somebody paying a heavy price for getting the party back together. Right now, V is looking to be a very strong candidate.

That's a possibility, but on the other hand there is Haley, who has literally paid a very heavy price in an action that is more likely to lead to the party's reunion than what V is doing.

Juron Pilo
2009-02-12, 01:29 AM
The imp can turn V into a lich and then teleport him. That would constitute non-living matter right? Thats probably whats going to happen.

Weiser_Cain
2009-02-12, 01:34 AM
What if V sends the imp to kill his family so their souls will be safe from the dragon? I don't think it'd happen, just throwing it out there.

Myou
2009-02-12, 05:25 AM
The imp can turn V into a lich

In the next five minutes?

Marsala
2009-02-12, 06:07 AM
In the next five minutes?

It seems unlikely but if the plot calls for it... :nale:

Snake-Aes
2009-02-12, 06:23 AM
It seems unlikely but if the plot calls for it... :nale:

Because the imp happens to be a 15 level + caster with a few (hundred?)thousand gps and xps to spend, and will happen to find a conveniently close already done philactery, right?

That's about as likely as me being able to cast Disintegrate IRL.

robertm
2009-02-12, 06:47 AM
Personally the mixture of dark, philosophical and funny is what makes me read OOTS year after year. Some of you don't think the comic is ready for something like that Vs' children are killed. Rich has shown before though, that he isn't afraid to let children die under rather grievous circumstances (Redcloaks relatives for instance :smalleek:).
For me it would revitalize my interest for the comic with a personal trauma like that. So far nothing really bad has happened to the main characters (i e the good ones). Sure, Roys body is walking around like a rotting corpse, but he himself is quite enjoying a stay with his long dead relatives up in heaven.
It is only on the 'evil' side that there has been any real misery so far. It might be good for the balance with some real 'good guy' misery :smallbiggrin:
Heck, sometimes I catch myself hoping that Redcloak and the lich wipes out the OOTS... :smallyuk:

Nimrod's Son
2009-02-12, 12:25 PM
For me it would revitalize my interest for the comic with a personal trauma like that. So far nothing really bad has happened to the main characters (i e the good ones).
I'd contend that Roy losing his brother at such a young age, and believing for years that it was his own fault, qualifies as "personal trauma".

Otherwise I agree. I strongly doubt Vaarsuvius's kids will have a violent on-screen death, but I see no reason to believe they'll necessarily survive just because "Rich wouldn't do that".

Snake-Aes
2009-02-12, 12:38 PM
I'd contend that Roy losing his brother at such a young age, and believing for years that it was his own fault, qualifies as "personal trauma".

Qualifies, indeed, but it's not of any real relevance to the adventure itself, or to Roy's development till the moment it was already over :/

Kaytara
2009-02-12, 02:24 PM
I think this is a major crossroads in V's development. If worst came to worst and the dragon actually succeeded, I just don't see how Vaarsuvius could survive that, emotionally. He'd completely snap, and so would his chances of continuing to adventure with the Order.

On the other hand, if the dragon fails and V rejoins his family, it is likely his mate will be able to talk at least some sense into him. Which would be an anti-climactic end to V's obsession complex as well as derailing the story while V gets his feelings sorted out over a nice relaxing cup of espresso.

Since we know that the Order will reunite someday (Rich said so, didn't he?), the logical conclusion would be something in-between.

Personally, I favour the "Devils save V's family but keep them captive as leverage" idea, especially with Qarr's "free of charge" offer. No contracts to sign also means no guarantees as to what the devils should do after fulfilling their part of the bargain.
It would push V further into the antagonist-like role he seems to have been sliding into while keeping him sympathetic (since we know it wasn't by choice, because he initially clearly opposed that idea) and keeping us focussed on the plot, since whatever Qarr's masters are after is very likely to factor into the struggle for the gates or into Xykon's situation in some way. While still keeping open the option of returning to the Order. Without the positive influence of his family, it would also stop V's obsession arc from being resolved cheaply.

"It will take a great deal more than a few misplaced acquaintances before I would consider allying myself with the forces of darkness."
Sounds pretty clear to me. V says that and then the scene proceeds to show us exactly how much it would actually take to make V consider that. But he will definitely consider it.

Juron Pilo
2009-02-12, 10:41 PM
Well technically it doesn't have to be a lich. Just anything thats made of nonliving material. Not that that technicality helps much. Anyways don't discount me, I predicted the location of the azure city gate as being in the throne.