PDA

View Full Version : Lost and Clueless (... and May the Gods themselves Weep at What we Have wrought)

Pages : [1] 2

Highwarlord
2009-02-11, 01:12 AM
A cold, sharp wind blowing across the empty, wasted plains rouses you from what seems like an eon of sleep. Your eyes open into infertile, dull-brown earth, and as you lift your head you see the dreary wasteland about you and a group of strangers, also just starting to stir. Your throats and mouths feel parched, as though it were days since you last drank and the pain of parched lips seems to verify this feeling. Your body below the neck still feels numb, though you can manage to look about by twisting your necks.

The land in which you find yourself seems bleak and lifeless. Almost no hills cut off your view of the grayish flatland’s horizon as it seems to merge with the bleak, overcast sky. As a second blast of frigid wind cuts into you, you notice a single dead tree around half a hundred meters from you of the same color as the dirt bend from the air’s onslaught. This plant would have seemed almost invisible amidst the uniform grey-brown of the plain had the powerful gusts of wind not shaken it so. Aside from this lone tree, there are neither landmarks nor signs of life in the seemingly endless wasteland that spreads before your gaze.

In much closer proximity, the scene is certainly more interesting. A group of humanoids, including you, lies in a strange pattern about a primitive well. The walls of the well extend barely above your head. A misshapen wooden wheel lies on a stone spoke atop the wall, a length of rope wrapped about it, with one end tied into a knot about the wheel, while the other end is split into four ends, each strung through a hole at the top of a deep and seemingly ancient stone bowl, making for a primitive bucket. The beings sprawled around this construction seemed to have collapsed in the midst of combat.

A powerfully built lizardfolk warrior lies on the ground as though stopped cold in the act of a charge, his weapon lying out a yard in front of him. The movement of his reptilian eyes and occasional flips of his tongue show him to be alive. No clear foe lies before him, though his body is aligned such that his head faces towards the well, his weapon slightly closer, with his legs and tail splayed out behind him. He appears closest to the well.

A second lizardfolk lies several yards behind him. This one seems smaller, sickly and frail with far less visible muscle and duller skin. A heavy mace lies embedded in the ground beside him, partially covered by earth. His body is crumpled, a shield propping up his torso that is painfully wedged between his arm and side. It is unclear what his motions were before he fell, only apparent that he had been standing and dropped suddenly.

A grey, almost featureless creature lies several yards the smaller lizardfolk’s side. Though his features are blank and indefinable, he is clearly inhuman in appearance. The fletching of an arrow can be seen jutting above the ground, though the shaft lies buried beneath it. The arm bearing the bow lies twisted underneath its body, making the direction it was pointing difficult to discern. The end of one nunchaku also juts above the ground, making it apparent that the bow was not this creature’s only option.

On the other side of the well, a Halfling lies on his back, a rod in his hand lies folded across his chest. A pair of manacles lies mostly buried in the ground, but is nonetheless attached to the belt encircling his brown tunic. Aside from the rod, he does not seem to be armed, and his collapsed figure does not betray any aggressive movement.

Lying forward, face only two feet away from that of the little man, lies a tall and slender woman. One of her hands lies open, fingers splayed in some complex motion, while the other clutches a robin’s-egg blue cylindrical stone. The side of her robe appears torn and rent, though whatever wound would have resulted from this blow seems to be healed.

Lying on the opposite side of the human woman’s wound is a short, slender man of seemingly unusual heritage. A mace lies just outside of his grasp, while his other hand is contorted into a strange gesture.

Lying a good twenty paces away from the rest of the group is a human in fine silks and foppish attire. A long blade remains sheathed at his side, and his arms lie crossed beneath his body. Whatever the conflict occurring at the well, this man had either chosen to stand aside or use a combat stance requiring keeping his arms and hands folded over his chest.

A gnome stands before this man, hands balled into fists. He collapsed backwards, and awoke facing the grey, featureless sky. A quarterstaff lies partially buried beside him, its tip seemingly straight up, unmoved by the powerful blasts of wind.

Two figures, however, do not stir. One, a tall elf in brilliant white plate mail armor, inlaid with a bluish swan pattern, lies dead ten yards away from the well at a right angle to the line formed by the lizardfolk and the Halfling. A bright white spear lies clutched in his hands, the tip giving off a faint glow barely visible in the daylight that filters down from the grey sky. A deep gash lies in his side, and the earth beneath him is red with his congealed blood.

Standing beside this figure with one hand clutched across her throat is the corpse of a Minotaur shaman. The creature wears specially built grey plate-mail armor, with thick sheets of metal covering her chest and shoulders. Sheets of chain lies over her udders, and bands of bolted mail cover her legs and hooves. She holds a wooden greataxe loosely in her spare hand, with its a brilliant red paint stained with the darker red of the elf’s blood. The white skull painted on the axe and red and white headdress covering her head makes her priest-status apparent, though the name of her god escapes your memory.

A third blast of icy wind cuts into you, and you can feel sensation returning to your limbs and extremities. Though pain fills your body, it is overshadowed by relief at your ability to move.

Seffbasilisk
2009-02-11, 01:25 AM
Garret Leafgrower

Groaning, the halfling sits up. Blinking a time or two, he shakes his head, takes a pull from his waterskin, rinses his mouth out and spits. Shaking his head again, he gingerly makes his way to his feet. Glancing around, he seems confused, and from the rapidity of his blinking, it seems he's trying to disbelieve what his eyes are telling him.

Then he sees the lizardfolks and the strange grey humanoid. Almost unconsiously his hand works on the rod and a blade pops out the end. Falling into a defensive crouch, he slowly works his way to the well, and cautiously peeps down it's stony gullet.

Gorgondantess
2009-02-11, 01:47 AM
Valter, being called a human, would respond as so: "I'm a sylvan, you monkey, and don't you forget it or you'll be missing an ear."
The "human" in foppish attire opens his eyes, and begins to groan; then, remembering his image, he sighs softly and springs up to a standing position acrobatically. Now, where have I gotten myself to this time... not one of my better ideas, for sure. He looks around with a roguish grin, sneering ever so slightly, observing the fallen about him. Then, with a sudden realization dawning on his face, he looks down to find the dust on his clothes, and quickly beats it off. "One, two, three... my, my, and what an odd lot these are. And none of them, pitiable fools, posessing a fascimile of the grace and style that has been bequeathed upon poor Valter, who must walk amongst these poor folk until the gods decide to give him what he deserves... although the lady might be good for a night. We shall have to see." He then breaks from his reverie to see movement, the halfling at the well. Lifting a hand daintily, he motions towards him. "Ah, yes, you, boy- or girl, I've never been one for small folk anatomy- well, whatever you are, be a dear and bring me up some water. I seem to have caught quite a thirst." With that he grins broadly, waiting for a response.

Highwarlord
2009-02-11, 03:29 AM
Everything seems real to the Halfling. As he peers into the depths of the well, he can see nothing but water within it.

Seffbasilisk
2009-02-11, 03:42 AM
Garret Leafgrower

Stroking his beard for reassurance, Garret draws the bucket up the well, and sets it on the stone edge. Taking half a step away, he gestures from the fop to the bucket.

Behind his back his nimble fingers twirl the blade.

Ashen Star
2009-02-11, 08:29 AM
Hex

Rolling into a position more associated with standing, the rather unusual looking "man" kneels over onto his hands and knees, left hand wrapped around the mace lying on the ground. Muscle memory, it seems, because after standing up, he almost does not know what to do with the weapon. Shrugging, he ties it off onto his belt, stretches intensely, and then notices the two standing beings. "Hello! And well met!" Grinning broadly, he looks at the two in turn. "And what brings you two out here? I seem to be at a loss, myself." The small man takes a more serious look around, attempting to discern if anything poses an immediate threat to his person. He is simply dressed in tight leathers and vibrant clothing underneath, with a couple objects other than the mace attached to his belt. Boots and gloves complete the ensemble, leaving only his head uncovered. "Ahh, refreshing water. May I join you in such a venture as to hydrate oneself upon such a wonderful beverage?"

Lukmar
2009-02-11, 09:10 AM
The gnome opens his eyes and is confronted by a grey featureless expanse. It takes him a moment to realize that he is facing the sky. Closing his eyes, he shivers as icy wind cuts into him. Suddenly something akin to rough sandpaper starts licking Kovl’s face. Opening his eyes again, he finds himself face to face with an orange-striped cat.

T-Tiger? A hoarse whisper escapes from his parched throat. The cat looks at the gnome and then hops off his chest.

Gathering his strength, Kovl groggily gets on his feet, blinking a few times as he reaches for his waterskin and takes a sip to wash out the dust and placate his thirst. He then pulls out his quarterstaff from where it was buried, feeling a small measure of reassurance as he proceeds to survey the scene before him.

Three are already up: a Halfling, a human clad in expensive garments, and an unusual-looking small man. They appear to be weary of each other. Of the remaining figures, two are not stirring at all: a tall Elf and a Minotaur. Those two wont be getting up anytime soon… in fact, looks like they where at each other’s throats… are these people friends or foes?

Keeping his distance, Kovl turns to face the three already up and greets them in common.

“Hello there.” He says with a smile “Forgive my bluntness, but do you know where we are?”

LittleCarp04
2009-02-11, 09:43 AM
Sylvash

Sylash groaned lightly and let out a hiss of anger as he realized how stiff his muscles were, he spotted his axe laying a few feet from him and scrambled to grab it and leap into a defensive position. He spotted a few others up and moving already, a few small folk, and two who look similiar to humans. Sylvash also spotted a well with a bucket sitting on the edge and realized how parched he was.

Water... Sylvash said in a rough voice.

He made his way over to the well and looked to see how deep it was, a fresh dip in water would help him break off the lethargy, but then he also realized it was probably too cold to do so safely. So he simply sated his thirst from the bucket and turned to the others, still holding his axe in his hands.

Where have you brought me and what do you want?

Meltemi
2009-02-11, 11:15 AM
Teira gave a faint moan, unheard over the keening wind and the words of those already awake, as she stirred. Slowly lifting herself up, her left hand instinctively closed around a small cylinder. She looked down at it with curiosity, then to about her, sizing up her surroundings. Five people already awake either moving to or already at the well, two obvious corpses on the ground, and another two not yet awakened. She searched her memory, trying to recall what had happened, but she found nothing. The effect was slightly disconcerting, especially with the large rent in the side of her robes that revealed her armour underneath. Something had to have caused it, and it was likely it should have injured her as well given the damage to several of the chain links, but instead she had woken here, uninjured and amnesiac.

Slipping the cylinder into a large pocket on the inside of her robe, she began to walk over to the well to join the others, arriving as the lizardfolk took a long draught from the bucket and spoke his piece. She stopped at a slight distance, keeping her back away from either the other five around the well or the four on the ground. "I believe I would like an answer as well. Do any of you have an idea why we are here?" she asked tersely.

Ethrael
2009-02-11, 01:26 PM
Mordo Aran

Slowly, ever so slowly, the humanoid of no appearance comes to. He has gray, pale skin, and round, plain eyes. Every other feature of his face is absolutely typical, inhumanly so, it seems the average features of a human are all present on his visage. He is clad in a traveller's outfit, fashioned and folded to be slightly more tight-fitting and compact. Various weapons dangle from areas of his body and as he moves the jangle of glass on glass is heard, slightly muffled.

As he gets up, an wave of headache floods him and he clutches his head with both hands. Ohhhh... Please don't tell me I've been drinking again. I've been trying to cut down on that... His voice is full of disgrace and sadness, as if the lack of character has been transferred from his appearance to his voice. Seeing the others awake, he turns to them and begins to get up, making in their direction, while putting his nunchaku and bow away.

Nervously and scratching uncertainly at the base of his neck, he comes up to the group of strangers as they begin their inquiries. Hey...umm, guys, I don't know what I did while was, you know, not in my right mind, but I'm sorry for whatever it was. I'd like to just get back to- Realising he's in a different environment. So, where the f*** are we?

Highwarlord
2009-02-11, 01:41 PM
To those who drank -
The water is brownish and tastes faintly of mud, but to your parched throats it feels as crisp as water from any magnificent spring. Aside from the refreshment of the drink, you don't feel any different.

Ghal Marak
2009-02-11, 01:41 PM
Gathnashk

Gathnashk quietly picked himself off the ground, rubbing his side to ease the pain. The only noise he made was a hiss as he picked up the nearby mace, the effort aggrivating the bruise in his side. Spending a few seconds to glance over the others, he turned to the two dead and pondered for a second. He finaly walked over to the corpses, his curiosity (and hunger) besting his thirst.

Seffbasilisk
2009-02-11, 04:25 PM
Garret Leafgrower

Glad he has something to occupy himself with for the moment, Garret twirls the rod, instinctivly pressing buttons his conscious mind doesn't remember, and the blade slides back in. Tucking the rod away with a movement almost too fast for the eye to follow, he sets to work lowering, and hauling the now refilled bucket back up. Offering it to the lizardfolk who'd made the demand for water, his curiosity gets the better of him as he finally speaks up, to ask "Do...do any of you...know what happened? How we got here?"

As he asks his hands unconsciously pull forth the rod and keep playing along it's length, his fingers dancing over odd protrusions in it. In response to his unconscious play, a blade keeps popping out, and sliding back in.

LittleCarp04
2009-02-11, 05:58 PM
Sylvash

Sylvash continues to gulp water down, feeling better with each gulp, and finally decides to strap his axe back across his back. Rising to his full height, he looks apon the small man and replies.

No, ssso you don't know why we are here either then little one? Sylvash says with a hiss as he continues to eye the others, and notices someone near the bodies of the two who aren't moving.

That one seems to know something we dont, lets ask him...

Lukmar
2009-02-11, 09:47 PM
Kovl’s smile fades somewhat when he realises that none of the others seem to be better informed than he is. Seeing the lizardman drink avidly makes the gnome’s train of thoughts go back to his own waterskin and something he noticed upon getting up… a detail. Something he dismissed offhandedly but which has been steadily nagging him for attention. Crap! We are in the middle of nowhere!

Scanning the surrounding plains as far as the eye can see, the next thoughts come almost unbidden, as his natural curiosity takes over. Okay. We are in what appears to be a cold, barren wasteland. There is naught in sight but that scrawny tree and the well. No roads. No paths. No signs of civilisation. How did such a disparate group of creatures come together in this place? By what means did we travel and how long did it takes to get here from… from… No matter how hard he tries to concentrate, Kovl cannot for the life of him remember where he came from. Or what he did yesterday. Or anything much from before waking up.

Damnation. Why is there this blank in my memory? Is it only me or…

Suddenly looking up at the rest of the group, he addresses all of them with a deceptively calm voice, the kind one would use to ask about the weather or any matter of small import.

“Good people. Can any of you remember anything prior to waking up here?”

Meltemi
2009-02-11, 11:30 PM
Teira

Teira shook her head rather sharply. "Unfortunately, I remember nothing." She glanced at the lizardfolk, who seemed to have finished with the bucket and put away his weapon. "It may be that he knows, or it may not. I would say it to be the latter, but there is no place here for him to flee to even if he knows something. If you are finished, however?" Moving to the bucket beside him, she takes a drink of the water still left. Setting down the haversack from her back, she began to look through it, taking a quick inventory. Since it seems several have brought waterskins, it is likely I also...no, it seems that wherefore I was here, I at least did not plan for an extended trip. But this... she paused as her hand stopped over a familiar-looking book, and she remembers a flash of something, conjuring mighty forces with the words within this leather-bound cover. Though curious, she decides not to draw it out with the others around, instead pulling out two identical stoppered flasks. Opening and filling each in turn from the water left in the bucket, she then proceeded to return them to the haversack. Standing again, she added to the others, "It seems there is very little to recommend this place. I suggest that we at least take what supplies we can as we discuss this, if we truly are all in a similar predicament."

Seffbasilisk
2009-02-12, 12:13 AM
Garret Leafgrower

Uncertain as to who or what he is, Garret is glad of direction, and sets to work, searching the elf for items still of use. When he's finished, he goes to do the same to the minotaur. At one point he almost absent-mindly pulls a small stick from his pocket and waggles it forcefully. A second later, it's as if he just noticed the stick, as he self-consciously tucks it away again.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Ethrael
2009-02-12, 02:07 AM
Nodding along to the rest of the groups announcements of their lack of memory, Mordo only then realises just how parched his throat is. Yes, water..., he says as he twists round, checking his person for a waterskin. Finding it, he takes several long gulps from it, and then fills it up from the bucket when the others are finished. Turning around so as to get a better look at the plain, he catches sight of the tree and becomes greatly interested.

I might not be the smartest out of you guys, but does anyone else find it weird that there's a tree in the middle of a barren wasteland? And why the hell's it grey? I'm gonna go check this thing out... Pocketing his waterskin, he begins to trudge off to the tree, trying to regain some more motion into his weary muscles.

Spot (At the tree and its surroundings) [roll0]

Highwarlord
2009-02-12, 02:17 AM
Garret -

// OOC: I believe you removed the wand of detect magic from your character sheet, per your IM. It is not currently there, so if you'd kindly edit your post . . . :smallwink:

Your search of the elf is surprisingly fruitful. The plate mail covering the elf seems to be made for both beauty and practicality, the blue enamel of the swan pattern swirls along the sides of the armor in a cursive elven writing along one side of the torso, reading "Silver" though the other side is too mangled by the force of the blow to make out. The spear seems to be of the same make, with a bluish pattern along its white length and an intricately shaped blue swan just before its faintly glowing white tip. Additionally, the elf bears a belt with three pouches. Two of these contain opaque flasks while the third contains a seemingly hollow clay ball three inches in diameter. Finally, the elf's white belt is inlaid with three blue gemstones, one of which glows faintly with a light similar to that emanating from the spear, with the other two dim and cracked.

Searching the minotaur yields a much less helpful surprise. The armor seems to be crafted custom for a female minotaur, and its thick plates seem almost impossible to stir. Touching the axe causes a feeling of intense heat to flow up your arm, numbing your hand. The minotaur's belt pouches contained six flasks, but they have been crushed under her body and their liquid has since seeped into the ground. There is also a wax scrollcase that has been partially crushed, though the papers within seem to still be legible.

// OOC: Roll a fortitude save, DC 12. Fail renders whichever arm you would have used to touch the axe temporarily useless. Play that out as you will.

Ethrael -
The tree seems to blend in oddly well with the landscape when it is not shifting, but otherwise appears to be natural. You are unable to discern if it is alive or dead, and the area around it seems as empty as the rest of this wasteland.

Ethrael
2009-02-12, 02:43 AM
((How far is the tree? Minutes or seconds' walking distance?))

As he nears the tree, he slows and eventually stops. Looking up, he begins to take a closer look at it, a little to the left, then to the right. He clearly isn't great at looking for things. He moves around the tree, looking up and down all the while.

Search [roll0]

When he has circled it once, he discovers the one place he hasn't look at. In it.

((What rolls do I have to make to jump into and climb the tree?))

LittleCarp04
2009-02-12, 10:30 AM
Sylvash

After quenching his thirst, Sylvash decided to take a look at the axe the minotaur had. He walked over and picks it up noticing a flash of heat which he shrugs off easily, he notices that the axe is of well quality but decided to look into it more later once they found out something of how they got where they are, and where that place is, Sylvash places the axe down near the well along with his axe.

After that he decides to search the well, I want to search this well, no one touch these weapons, the minotaurs axe has some sort of defensive magics on it, but it did not affect me, if any of you are casters can you look into it while I check the well? No one touch my axe, any who do will be dealt with when I return from the bottom.

Sylvash climbs over the edge of the well and leaps in. He floats slowly down to the level of the water and begins swimming easily. He calls up to the others,

Im going to dive and see what I can find, and also see how deep the water is.

Jump:[roll0] Jump is not really needed since I dont take falling damage. Forgot that as I remembered I had the ring of feather fall.
Swim:[roll1] Swim is just to dive and look around.

Also I am assuming that I have put the painful axe across my back with my axe, also forgot my fortitude save, so ill roll that and the search check in the OOC thread.

Ashen Star
2009-02-12, 11:24 AM
Hex

After helping himself to some of the water from the bucket, Hex starts to take a look around the nearby area. Ignoring everything everyone else seems to be looking at, the feytouched attempts to discern which direction they could have come from and if anything is noticeable off in the distance, while at the same time looking for anything laying around that isn't obvious. A rather awkward sight to behold, for certain. All thoughts of small talk flee Hex's mind, of course, what with attempting to discern information that is uncertain at best.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Meltemi
2009-02-12, 11:40 AM
Teira

As several of the others moved to examine the bodies, Teira remained to examine the well and their environs more closely. As well, she tried to gather what little she can remember, trying to identify her surroundings and any other points of interest.

As one of the party returned with the minotaur's axe, he stated his intention to explore within the well. As he set action to words, she knelt beside the axe, examining it closely to determine if anything seemed familiar. Keeping his warning in mind, however, she avoided physically touching the weapon.

Search - well: [roll0]
Spot - surroundings: [roll1]
Knowledge (Geography) - surroundings: [roll2]
Knowledge (Arcana) - axe: [roll3]

Ethrael
2009-02-12, 02:17 PM
Having contemplated entering the tree's branches, Mordo finally comes to the conclusion that it would provide a better perspective of his surroundings.

Jump - [roll0]
Climb (in case it's needed) - [roll1]
Balance (" ") - [roll2]

If he succeeds:

He attempts to climb onto one of the lower branches, then climb to the highest that can support his weight (160lb). There, he will try to see anything different on the horizon.

Spot (the horizon and the whole plain in general)- [roll3]

If he fails:

He will try again:

Jump - [roll4]
Climb (in case it's needed) - [roll5]
Balance (" ") - [roll6]

If he fails the second time, and even if he succeeds (when he's finished) he eventually trots back to the well and the gathering of friendly strangers. He speaks generally and really quite depressed-ly, as if he doesn't believe the hope which lurks somewhere in his question. Anyone find - or remember - anything?

Seffbasilisk
2009-02-12, 03:00 PM
Garret Leafgrower

@DM I realized that when I was lying in bed after making the post. If you don't mind, I'd like him to have a wand with all the charges used (so it's basically just a stick.) He still subconsciously associates it with searching, so will try to activate it each time, until he finally gets good enough to realize it's useless. If that's a bit too much, I'll edit the post, and just drop it.

[roll0]

Jerking back with a shock when he'd touched the axe, Garret barely bit back a yelp. Returning to the elf, he lets the lizardfolk warn the others of the axe, while he tried on the belt, seeing if it caused any noticable change.

Highwarlord
2009-02-12, 04:20 PM
Ethrael - The tree is approximately two hundred yards from the well, not a significant distance by any means. The tree is apparently not hollow, so your attempt to look within it would require a bit of vivisection.

You climb the fifteen foot tree easily in your first attempt, but your view of the horizon does not yield anything useful. The greyish-brown wastes go off as far as you can see in all directions.

Seff - Your body tingles slightly as you put on the elf's belt, but it subsides quickly and you don't feel any different upon wearing it.

Meltemi - You recognize that the axe is made out of magically augmented wood, enchanted to be as hard and durable as mithril. Unfortunately, you cannot recognize the symbol inscribed on the axe, aside from being fairly certain that it is the symbol of a deity.

As for your surroundings, you are fairly certain that the landscape is unnatural. Its ground bears the characteristics of soil suited for rain and life, and the sky is overcast, but the total absence of grass or shrubbery seems suited only for the harshest desert.

Sylvash - Your parched skin practically sighs with refreshment as you dive into the frigid, murky water of the well. The surface of the water contains the floating corpses of a throng of small insects, though no living specimens seem to be about. The water flows gently past you, making it apparent that this is part of some underground stream. You manage to dive over sixty feet below the surface before coming to the bottom. The depths of the well seems to be littered with the skeletons of fish and a few frogs. As the gentle current moves the corpses downstream, it becomes apparent that the dead wildlife is not from this well alone, with skeletons of floating from upstream as well.
//OOC: I'll leave you to describe it to the rest of the party

Lukmar
2009-02-12, 04:32 PM
Seeing that none of the others seem to have any answers, Kovl sets down his backpack and begins examining its contents, in the hope that something may trigger his memory.

Brushes, charcoal crayons, chalk… a string instrument of some kind… am I a performing artist? Papers… lots of paper and… a book? He pulls out a leather-bound volume and stares at it, ghosts of memories stirring just beyond his grasp… Nothing. Shaking his head he replaces the manuscript and pulls out several brightly colored shirts. Well, at least I have enough clothes, if nothing else. He muses with a grim smile.

Eventually Kovl goes through all the possessions in his backpack, though nothing triggers any memories of his past life. As the group moves to explore their surroundings, Kovl pulls out a pair of goggles and approaches the well. Seeing the human female studying the minotaur’s axe intently, he smiles and asks.

“Found anything of interest?”

While waiting for a reply, Kovl dons his strange goggles and kneels to examine the well.

Sorry for the late post. Anyways, Kovl searches the well for anything that would be out of the ordinary: Search check: [roll0]

Seffbasilisk
2009-02-12, 04:33 PM
Garret Leafgrower

Curious, the halfling quickly picks up the spear, and tries stabbing out with it, to see if it has the same effect.

Ghal Marak
2009-02-12, 05:10 PM
Gathnashk

After simply looking over the two bodies, and watching what happened when the others interacted with them, he gave up on messing with the bodies for now and went over to the well. Peering over the side, he watched the waters to see if the other Lizardfolk would surface.

Ethrael
2009-02-12, 05:33 PM
((When I said "Inside" I meant "Amongst the branches"))

Dismayed by his lack of findings, Mordo leaps off the branches acrobatically, rolling smoothly (hopefully) on the ground and does as aforementioned, he walks back to gathering point and talks to everyone in general. I can't see anything about the horizon, and the tree doesn't seem special other than it looks like the rest of this blood-boring dump if it doesn't move. He slumps himself on the ground. Did anyone else find - or remember- anything, for that matter?

As he sits, he begins to finger at the loop on his nunchaku, soon picking it up to inspect it. He begins to spin it around a little and sees he has good control of it. Impressed, he puts it back and leans back, putting his hands behind his head.

Jump [roll0]
Tumble [roll1]

LittleCarp04
2009-02-12, 05:40 PM
Sylvash

Sylvash dove down nearly 60 feet before reaching the bottom, he noticed a current of sorts which alerted him that this wasn't simply a well.

He decided to resurface and tell the team members.

[roll0] Climb check to climb back out of the well. If I fail I will try again [roll1]

I have learned that there is a current in the well. Have any of you found anything? Possibly someone should climb the tree and look toward the horizon for something. If not I say those of us who can swim try to follow the current of the well.

Sylvash reaches down and straps the two axes across his back, ignoring the flash of heat from the wooden axe again.

Anyone find out anything about the wooden axe?

Ethrael
2009-02-12, 05:49 PM
Surprised at the news of a current and a little startled by the reptilian popping up out of a well. Mordo jumps and spins round. Calming at his sight, Mordo announces dismissively I checked the horizon. There's nothing there - visible, at least. He begins to gather his things and goes to stand by the well, looking down.

Highwarlord
2009-02-12, 06:53 PM
Lukmar - As you examine the sides of the well, you notice little that is not apparent at first glance. It seems to be in perfect condition, despite the apparent antiquity of its design and construction. There are no cracks that would be expected for a well of its apparent age.

The Halfling finds the spear fairly unwieldy due to its relative size, but his test stab causes the light to grow stronger as it moves, before returning to its former dimness when it comes to the end of his haphazard lunge.

Gorgondantess
2009-02-12, 06:57 PM
Valter takes his time, observing the others' antics, waiting for a good moment. He thoughtlessly driks from the well water, brackish and nasty but refreshing... but I am above this. He spits it out, making quite a scene. "Ugh. This stuff is disgusting." He waves his arm towards the nearest person with a fresh waterskin. "You. Boy. Bring me some of that stuff." He draws himself up, making himself presentable, and speaks in a loud, commanding, affable voice. "Now, listen, proles- your belligerent musings and wanderings are getting us nowhere. You need someone with intellect, wit, charm, refinement to lead you- someone like me. Now, one of you unshaven fellows climb that tree and survey our landscape. There has to be some end to this wasteland... and you. Lizard. Thing. Jump back into that water where you belong and see where the currents lead- it might be of interest to me."

Lukmar
2009-02-12, 07:55 PM
Slightly frustrated at the lack of any interesting finds after examining the well, Kovl is startled when the lizardman pops out from it. As he jumps back, a gust of icy wind buffets against him and he falls on the dirt.

The wind! Why are there no signs of wind erosion along the sides of the well? Either the stones have some special property or the well is not as old as it would seem at first glance.

Still puzzling at this mystery, the gnome gets back up and is about to share his thoughts with the rest of the group when the richly dressed human spits out the water he had been drinking from the well and launches into his monologue.

Boy?! I am no child you empty-headed tall one! Taking a couple of deep breaths to regain his composure, Kovl allows his annoyance to subside before replying, with a somewhat forced smile.

“Good sir. I would hardly believe refinement to be one of your most striking traits, seen the utter lack of manners you display so casually. We are not servants to be ordered about at your say so, and if you want to lead, then do so by example rather than smooth talk.”

Pulling out his waterskin, he holds it out. “You want fresh water? Savor it before it runs out. After that you will be back to the well like the rest of us.”

Meltemi
2009-02-12, 08:00 PM
Teira

Teira looked up from where she knelt beside the axe. "Apparently not interesting enough to awaken any memories." Rising up, she sighed, then saw the new owner of the axe clambering out of the well. "Perhaps he was more successful."

As he hefted the axe easily and strapped it onto his back, she answered his question. "Not nearly enough. The wood is imbued with magic to harden it, and the skull just below the axehead is almost certainly a symbol of some divinity. The axe is likely as hard as mithril, but without knowing the manner of the enchantments or its defences against its wielder, I would not trust it in combat. Beyond that, there is too much that I simply cannot remember, including whether or not I can swim." Noticing the bright light coming from the halfling's spear, she began to walk to join him, only to pause almost immediately as the elfen man raised his voice to give several demands of the others. She suppressed a surge of sharp irritation. His casual arrogance simply seemed to offend her on some fundamental level, and she wondered again if she had known him and these other people before, for him to provoke such a visceral reaction. Turning to look back at him, she responded, "I rather doubt you lack the necessary qualities to lead any among us. Have you considered doing something constructive rather than demanding things we have already done and water you already have?" Continuing to calmly walk away and ignoring his response, she reached the halfling where he stood, spear still in hand. "Have you found much of interest?" she asked.

LittleCarp04
2009-02-12, 08:02 PM
Sylvash

Sylvash's eyes dart to the human as he uttered the command. He could feel his rage welling up inside him as he was given the order.

Instinctively Sylvash drew the first weapon he came upon, which happened to be the wooden axe which caused a jolt of fire to run up his arm. Which he easily ignored.

Sylvash walked over and looked at the human with elvish features as he replied baring his fangs,
If I didn't think you may be of use to us, you would be dead now human. Never order me about like some running dog again, or you will feel the bite of my axe, and my jaws. Your blood would feel good running down my gullet.

As Sylvash finishes his threat he moves in to trip the elf-man to prove his point.

You are allowed a opportunity attack for my trip attempt:
Melee Touch Attack: [roll0] vs Touch AC 12
Strength Check to trip: [roll1] vs your Dex [roll2]

If I win you are knocked prone

Sylvash has a hearty laugh as the human/elf falls to his back and he walks back over to the well and says, I think I will go for another swim, do any of you wish to join me and see where this leads? Only come if you are an exceptional swimmer as I will not be helping you if you fail.

Seffbasilisk
2009-02-12, 08:40 PM
Garret Leafgrower

Quietly gladdened at the others taking care of the loudmouth, Garret uncomfortably lifts the too-tall spear up and leans on it, overtly conscious of his awkwardness with it. When Teira asks, he holds out the spear for her to take stating in as level a voice as he can "The spear and the belt I'm now wearing seem to be imbued with some enchantment. I'm guessing these other two gems held enchantment as well before cracking. Once I figure out what they do, I'd like to get them fixed...if you don't mind my presumption in taking it. I really don't think he'll need it any more."
Pulling open the pouches on his new belt, the halfling pulls out and displays, one after another, the two flasks, and the three-inch diameter clay ball. Pointing to the ball, he says "It seems hollow, and if I had to wager a guess, I'd say it's likely rigged to a spell as well. Just as the flasks likely contain potion. What do you think? By the way, I'm Garret. Garret Leafgrower. That's about all I can remember, but I...well..I found I've a bit of a knack at searching bodies, and that's more than just a tad unsettling."

Meltemi
2009-02-12, 09:31 PM
Teira

"I do not mind if you keep these. After all, you are quite correct," she replied calmly, noting his pragmatism approvingly. As he shows her the enchanted items, flasks, and bead, she paused, thinking. "It may be a little unsettling, but it may not mean anything. It may simply be a natural perceptiveness, or a talent honed on matters other than the dead. Still, I think your assessment is correct. Might I see these for a moment? It seemed that I was able to at least identify some small details of the axe the lizard warrior now carries, and-oh." They watched as the arrogant fool went tumbling as the warrior swept his feet out from under him, using the wooden axe in one well-honed motion. "I warned him that I could not confirm the enchantment's safety. Nothing had best happen." Nonetheless, a faint flicker of amusement briefly crossed her face as she returned her attention to the halfling. "Still, I may be able to tell you something about these items. If I may?"

Assuming I can study the items, should I roll per item or just in bulk? If in bulk, we'll just take the first roll to apply.
Knowledge (Arcana) - Spear: [roll0]
Knowledge (Arcana) - Belt: [roll1]
Knowledge (Arcana) - Gems: [roll2]
Knowledge (Arcana) - Clay Ball: [roll3]
Knowledge (Arcana) - Potions: [roll4]
Craft (Alchemy) - Potions: [roll5]

EDIT: Someday I'll be able to do this without botching at least one line.

Gorgondantess
2009-02-12, 09:56 PM
Valter falls flat on his back, slapping the ground. "Oh, that was basely done..." he mutters to himself. This simpleton can overpower me by sheer size... but can he resist the guile?
As the lizardman's back is turned, Valter casts a spell.... and he resists. He tries to get up, and his leg is paralyzed. Well, there are many ways to get what I want.... with that, he feigns an attampt to get up, and then yelps out in pain, nursing his leg. "Agh, my leg... it's broken, damnit! Please, someone, help me up... and get rid of this beast! What have I ever done to you? You've crippled me! All I tried to do was help out this group, and you attack me! Did you all see that? If I weren't quick enough, that monster could've hacked off my leg! I'm no fighter... I was just trying to bring some order to this group, to help us get out of here. And he comes up to me, like a thief in the night, and breaks my leg! It could be one of you next!"
Casting Charm Person on Sylvak.
will save vs DC 16: [roll0]

LittleCarp04
2009-02-12, 10:34 PM
Sylvash

With a hearty laugh that sounded odd coming from a character you would expect to be quicker to anger than ever to laughter, Sylvash returns to the downed man and offers him a hand up and support for his leg.
Look man, Sylvash is my name, and you need to learn who to be commanding about, I am a proud warrior of the...

Suddenly Sylvash grows quiet as if in concentration. Well im not sure what clan I hail from anymore, but nonetheless, it appears as if we are stuck together, so lets hope your leg mends soon, I did not intend that, the axe never effected me in that way... He places the man against the dead minotaur as some sort of gruesome backrest and turned to the others, Can anyone among you heal him? I want to search the well for some time and would feel better knowing if you are attacked that he won't be defensless, even though we all saw how well he did on his feet.

Seffbasilisk
2009-02-12, 11:09 PM
Garret Leafgrower

Still blithely ignoring the fop, Garret nods approvingly, and gladly lets the woman appraise them. He even pulls out his own little rod, and by pulling and shifting at the knobs, manages to get it to extend out, into a spear of equivilant length. Lining it up with the other spear for comparison, he sagely holds his tongue.

Gorgondantess
2009-02-13, 12:14 AM
Valter glares at the lizard as it talks to him. "You... you think you can just say everything is ok, and it will be? You assaulted me! All I did was talk, and you attacked me, then try to make everything better, covering it all up with snide remarks. And all of you... I am sorry for my authoritative attitude. When I get things done, I don't care about trying to seem polite. And because of this, you stand there, let him attack me, and act like it's no problem at all." With a "heroic", dignified effort, he pulls himself onto the well, playing the righteous victim. "Apparently, despite what it may seem, I am alone in this wasteland."

Highwarlord
2009-02-13, 01:48 AM
Teira - The flasks are unlabeled and opaque, and thus provide no clue as to their use.
// OOC: Are you going to remove their stoppers?
You are unable to discern the specific enchantment on the spear, but the combination of the light that glows as the spear moves faster and its blue and white coloring seem to intone that it is aligned with some celestial power. You cannot tell the purpose of the belt itself, but the broken gems clearly were charges for the belt that were used up, with the remaining gem serving as the belt's last remaining use. Unfortunately, you do not know how to activate it. The clay ball appears to be plain, and you cannot detect any obvious magic on it whatsoever.

Ethrael
2009-02-13, 02:07 AM
Enough of your histrionics! Now sit down and stay still so I can take a look at that leg...

When Valter had originally made the witty remark, Mordo had simply chuckled whilst still paying more attention to his nunchaku. I've already checked the tree. There's nothing on the horizon, as far as I can see at least. I think the only way out is the well. he now said, moving over to Valter's body. Although you really should be careful who you order about. He smirked slightly.

Heal (leg) - [roll0]

Highwarlord
2009-02-13, 02:11 AM
There is nothing physically wrong with the leg. Aside from very minor bruising from the lizardman's trip, even your perfect overview of his leg can find no mundane cause of his paralysis.

Seffbasilisk
2009-02-13, 02:28 AM
Suddenly, over from where the halfling was lining up spears a new voice is heard, saying "Idiot. Stop forgetting how to get your tools. It's simple, twist the base to the third nub, and pull. I won't tell you again, Garret Leafgrower."

The halfling there stares at his spear, with, which a deft flick of the wrist as he sat, and a single finger sliding over he collapses down to a rod. Carefully following the Rod's instructions, he pulls, and a false cap pops open, dumping a set of lockpicks, thin metal tools, and wooden jambs into his lap. Garret looks in surprise, then carefully extracts one of the metal rods, and slowly and carefully picks open the lock on the manacles hanging from his belt. Glancing over to Teira, his face blank and expressionless, he slowly gathers them up, and slides them back into the rod, sealing it with another complex movement.

Meltemi
2009-02-13, 10:44 AM
Teira
OOC: If the two flasks are identical, I'll open one to take a closer look. Schmuck bait, ahoy.
"The spear appears to channel celestial power with every attack, while the gems appear to be designed to power the belt. I cannot tell what the enchantment will do or how you can activate it, but it appears you will only have one more use. I do not recognize this bottle, but if I can open one for a closer look.." She looked up sharply as a new voice came out from near the halfling, and watched with some curiosity as an odd change came over him. He changed the rod's form again, withdrawing from within it several tools which he then used to pick open the lock on his manacles. "Have you remembered something?"

Ethrael
2009-02-13, 02:37 PM
Well there is literally nothing wrong with your leg. I can't see why it'd be paralysed... Possibly magic, or something beyond my knowledge, but it matches every description of a normal, functioning leg...

Mordo stands up, taking back his hand which was about to reach into his pack for his healer's kit, deciding not to waste any uses.

LittleCarp04
2009-02-13, 03:09 PM
Sylvash

As he considers what to do next he observes the tree swaying with the fierce winds of this seemingly endless plain. The longer he stares the angrier he gets. Finally unable to stand it any longer he rips his axe from his back and charges the tree swingly wildly towards it.

Ok so I figured I would rage, and charge the tree to attack it.

Charge gives +2 to attack, and rage give +2 attack, and +2 damage.

So: attack [roll0]

damage:
[roll1]

I will continue to attack it until it falls.

Attack2:[roll2]
Attack3:[roll3]
Attack4:[roll4]
5[roll5]
6[roll6]
7[roll7]
8[roll8]

Damage2: [roll9]
damage3: [roll10]
Damage4:
[roll11]
5[roll12]
6[roll13]
7[roll14]
8[roll15]
Lets hope it falls by then, my rage is over and I become fatigued.

Sylvash wildly charges the tree and chops into its truck with repeatedly wicked blows, soon enough it falls and he is breathing heavily, he falls into a sitting postition with it at his back and says,

Ok well at least we can make a nice fire to cook up our dinner, he says as he points to the two dead bodies. We need to get them stripped and cooked and after I eat and rest I shall search the well to see what I can find. It is getting dark now and we really should have a fire going in case of any hostile visitors.

Also is the sun moving across the landscape? Or is it stationary? I dont know if it was ever mentioned. I will assume its moving and also assume (if ok with all the others) that it is nearing dark. If not I will edit my post.

Lukmar
2009-02-13, 03:26 PM
Hiding a smirk as the lizardman brings down the half-elf, Kovl whispers down to his familiar. “You see Maurice? The bigger their ego, the harder they fall. If he’s smart, he’ll learn his lesson.”

The cat stares up at the gnome for a moment, and then yawns, clearly indifferent to the affairs of the silly tall ones.

His good mood back, Kovl approaches Sylvash. He’s about to address the lizardman when out of the blue a memory jolts him. … Draconic, the language of dragons, is also used by many of their smaller reptilian kin, including lizardfolk… Unsure of what triggered the memory and its significance, Kovl decides to address Sylvash in the harsh tongue.

“Greetings Sylvash. Thank you for teaching the foolish elf-man that deeds and not words make one worthy to lead. I am Kovl, and though I cannot follow you back into the well, I would ask you to keep an eye out for two things. Anything that looks edible, and any signs of wear and deterioration… I suspect the well is not as old as it would seem at first glance… it may be a useless detail or a clue, I don’t know.”

After Sylvash's reply, Kovl will meditate on what he knows about dragons and if it could be a clue to his past.

Ghal Marak
2009-02-13, 03:32 PM
Gathnashk

Gathnashk dove into the well after watching the theatrics of the loudmouth, and the felling of the tree. Refreshed, he climbed back out and sat down with his back to the well. Now was a good a time as any to rest, so he closed his eyes and waited for sleep to take him.

Gorgondantess
2009-02-13, 03:55 PM
Valter waves away Mordo, muttering, "Shows what you know"... then glares at the presumptuous gnome, shouting out in draconic, "Not so foolish as to be incapable of understanding what you say. I have proven myself in deeds countless times, and could have done so for you as well; however, I was not expecting to be assaulted."

Ashen Star
2009-02-13, 04:34 PM
Hex

Hex is, without a doubt, thoroughly amused at the antics of the beings existing in this current time and place with him. His face alight with a wide grin and brilliantly sparkling silver eyes gives tribute to this fact, along with the insane bouts of giggling interspersed in his speech. You all fight like adolescents. Another giggle. Killing eachother, or indeed that tree, will have proved nothing. Almost a laugh this time.
Now, sir lizard, I have no capacity for swimming. Snicker. So I will, unfortunately, not be joining your underwater venture. Hex attempts to calm himself down at this point, taking on a more serious tone.
However, if we can discern the time, we can discern direction. But I believe that is rather circular there. So I say we pick a direction and walk that way, after resting a time to regain ourselves, and of course gathering up all of the necessities for extended walking. Who knows? Back to the almost-laughing. We could be a mere hour of walking from a village.

Meltemi
2009-02-13, 04:42 PM
Teira

At the warrior's barked order, Teira started slightly. "I apologize, but did you say to cook them? We should at least inter them in peace." Cued by a glimpse she had seen when she had looked through her supplies, she pulled a packet of trail rations out of her haversack and, walking over, handed it firmly to the warrior. "If you must eat something, eat this instead," she stated, before turning to return to Garret.

As the gnome spoke with his slightly sibilant speech, Teira was surprised to realize that she could still follow it, and even more so to find that the tall half-elf spoke it as well. Outwardly, she gave no sign of it, but she wondered what the language was and why she could understand them.

Lukmar
2009-02-13, 04:44 PM
Surprised that the half-elf also speaks the Dragon-tongue, Kovl approaches him, cat in tow.

"You have 'proven yourself in deeds countless times'? You know this because your memory is returning or is it another empty boast?" Kovl asks, regarding the man suspiciously.

LittleCarp04
2009-02-13, 04:58 PM
Sylvash

Inter them in peace? Sounds to me like you would like to discard a resource placed in front of us. I say we save our food, of which I have none for some reason, and we eat the meat in front of us. If you are not ok with that then you should not eat it. But I will not allow enough food for all of us to be well fed for nearly a day simply go to waste!

As he says this he clambers to his feet and begins to chop up the felled tree to make a fire.

Who among us would like to assist and partake of the meal?

Soon after the fire is burning well and Sylvash is resting near it.

I think we should rest for the night, post a watch even though we don't see anything hostile within range of us, and in the morn I shall search the well, and if that is fruitless then we can discuss a secondary plan. But I do not like the idea of gettin up and simply walking in a direction, it will be far too easy to walk in circles until we die.

To Kovl:

Little one, thank you for the words. I will indeed examine the well more closely, I had planned on doing that since it seems so out of place on this desolate plain. Also, I hope you agree with my sentiment that there are two very large edible dead ones right over there.

To Valter:

Hahah, elf man you surprise me more and more every time you speak! But speak truely now and inform us if you have any memory more than us! It could be a key to our survival and eventual escape of this hell.

Ethrael
2009-02-13, 05:18 PM
Turning from Valter as he shoos away his attempt to make sure his leg is healthy, Mordo smiles to himself Suit yourself and "accidentally" drops his pack on Valter's foot. Moving it off it after a few seconds to let the sensation fill him, he makes to sit down a little further off.

At the bezerking Lizardfolk's rampage, Mordo is greatly surprised. Jumping up, he watches on, startled, as he passes by. When he chops the tree down, he utters a groan and slaps himself on the forehead. I have food here! he calls out, indicating his pack. At Sylvash's statement of need before preference, Mordo shrugs very slightly. I guess so... But I'm not really that hungry, and how do we know they're not somehow contaminated? Plus, that tree might have been one of the only things pointing us in some sort of direction-I know I didn't find anything but there could have been something else there... He doesn't seem to keen on the eating of the corpses, but he's not openly against it either. Worst comes to worst, he'd do so, but worst hasn't come yet it seems.

Gorgondantess
2009-02-13, 07:18 PM
Valter scoffs, and chuckles. "My memory returning? I never lost it." He pulls himself even higher onto the well, in an attempt to look dignified. "You gaze upon Lord Valter, advisor to his majesty Brandon Lanistair, general of his army and head Archmagi of his council. I have fought in countless battles, decorated myself in glory, delved the darkness of the 917th layer of the Abyss and come back unscathed. Forgive me for barking out orders- as I said before, as one often in command I often do so without care." He looks to the side. "As for how I got here, well, that is another story. As one in such a high position, I am the target of many enemies, and frequently assailed by assassins. The most recent batch must've been more competent than the others, most likely drugging me in my sleep and draging me out here." As Mordo drops his pack on his leg, he winces slightly, feigning feigning little pain. He grits his teeth, pretending to be in quite a bit of pain but just toughing through it, actually in no pain at all of course, and smiles aat Mordo. "I believe you dropped your bag on my leg, sir. Would you be so kind as to pick it up?"

Seffbasilisk
2009-02-14, 02:16 AM
Garret Leafgrower

"No..it's just...these seem familiar...and it's like I know every inch of the locking mechanism...I just don't know why."

When the Lizardfolk attacks the tree, Garret watches carefully, and when he starts to break it into pieces for the fire, he quickly nips up, and runs over, coughing politly behind him to draw attention to himself. If that doesn't work, he elongates the rod, and taps him on the shoulder with it, requesting "Could I have a piece please? If we're to go swimming, I'd best have a small boat, and a paddle at least. Could you help me with that?"

He does his best to seem sincere and willing to help, but when the half-elf Valter starts speaking again, a sour look crosses his face.

[roll0]

Assuming he gets enough for his rough coricle, and a paddle, he has no problem letting the lizardfolk eat what he willed. Dragging the chunk back to his new friend, he says "I don't know if it'll hold two, but I'm willing to try if you are."

Lukmar
2009-02-14, 01:35 PM
When the lizardman asks Kovl if he will partake in eating the dead elf and minotaur, the gnome looks at the two corpses and his stomach does a flip. Somehow, the idea of eating that flesh leaves him nauseated.

“I am afraid my stomach would not be able to hold down the meat. For some reason it does not feel right to eat the two dead… you can have my share.”

As the half-elf Valter provides an account of his ranks and exploits, Kovl listens suspiciously.

Sense motive: [roll0] Gorgondantess, are you rolling for an opposed bluff check?

Not completely swayed, Kovl nonetheless accepts Valter's tale.

"Well, Lord Valter. I hope you are important enough for your liege to send someone to find you."

With that, the gnome leaves the half-elf and drifts towards where the Halfling and the human female are, wondering what they have in mind to do with a piece of wood.

Meltemi
2009-02-14, 09:46 PM
Teira

As she recognized that she was unlikely to gain active help, Teira backed down. "Then do as you wish. You may keep the ration as well; we should plan a meal for tomorrow, and I would prefer you not seek fresher meat by creating new corpses."

As Garret asks for pieces of the tree from the lizardfolk, Teira remembered something - in her excitement over the magical artifacts, she had forgotten to give him her own name. As he returns, she comments, "I completely neglected to give you my own name when you were polite enough to give me yours. I am Teira Feiwright. Simply Teira will be fine." After his question, she responds "I am rather unsure. I am a fair bit larger than you, but we could test it before we lower it into the well."

At the latest claims of the self-proclaimed "Lord Valter," Teira couldn't help but react slightly suspiciously, especially due to the sheer scope.
Sense Motive: [roll0]
Still, he seemed to be speaking honestly enough, and she decided it would not be worth pursuing. It certainly would explain some level of his arrogance if it were true.

Seffbasilisk
2009-02-14, 10:10 PM
Garret Leafgrower

Nodding, he starts to begin scraping the boat, and then, all of a sudden the thoughts come to him. Leaping lightly to his feet, he spins, and turning to Valter, as he reshapes his rod of a shortsword. Pointing the blade at the half-elf's throat, he says "I cut you there, you'll bleed to death, unable to staunch the wound. Give me back my memories, and you won't have to try." He leans back, in a defense crouch, his eyes circling the others, his arm cocked to launch the blade...readied for a battle ungainst persons unknown, with him not even fully comfortable with the blade. Hoping it'll change, he stays readied, waiting for the fop to respond.

Gorgondantess
2009-02-14, 10:15 PM
Valter gives the halfling a quizzical look, replying haughtily, "I never took your memories. What would I want with them? They're utterly useless to me, and I have no reason not to want you to have them. Put your blade away and do something useful, and stop this paranoid nonsense."

Seffbasilisk
2009-02-14, 10:18 PM
Garret

Flushing with a certainty, a knowledge that of all of them, he's the only one to retain memories, and such, must be the key. Lunging forward, he stabs at the fop, he defensiveness keeping the blade a bit short. He stands there, warily, shifting from side to side ready to dodge the inevitable counterattack, as he calls out "I'll get my memories if I have to cut them out of you!"

Rolls:

[roll0] (CE: 4 points.)
[roll1] [roll2]

Meltemi
2009-02-14, 10:21 PM
Teira

As Garret suddenly leapt at Valter, Teira rose as well, her hand instinctively seeking a hilt in her belt. As she realized what she was doing, she released it before she could draw the blade, speaking gently. "Garret, this isn't necessary. Or..." She paused. Clearly something had occurred to him, and with that, another thought suddenly came to her. "Why are you the only one here who remembers their past, Lord Valter?"

Gorgondantess
2009-02-14, 10:25 PM
Valter sighs as the blade skirts off his chain shirt. "You won't listen to reason, will you boy? Would you attack a cripple? I told you that I am a powerful man. I would rather not kill you. Put the blade away, or I shall be forced to." He draws his sword and levels it towards Garret.
Drawing thinblade and making demoralize action. [roll0]. Finally, a halfway decent roll!

Gorgondantess
2009-02-14, 10:27 PM
Valter shifts towards Teira, seething. "Why should I know!? Probably because I have protection against these sort of things. One of my position is required to do so. And what kind of question is that to ask when this boy is attacking me?!?!"

Meltemi
2009-02-14, 10:35 PM
As Valter reacted with confusion and Garret suddenly attacked, Teira took a half-step forward. As Valter drew his own blade, she spoke. "Enough, both of you. Garret, I do not believe killing him would return any of our memories. Valter, if you do remember what came before, what do you know of how we all came to be here?"

Gorgondantess
2009-02-14, 10:42 PM
If Garret puts away his blade, Valter does as well, looking at Tiera with a monotone expression and replying softly and almost condescendingly: "I haven't a clue. I'm as stumped as you are."

If Garret continues the fight, Valter yells at him, obviously annoyed at the boy's brashness: "Listen boy- if I had your memories- which I don't- killing me would destroy the only way to get them back. Violence is folly."
If the fight continues, total defense action.

LittleCarp04
2009-02-14, 10:55 PM
Sylvash

Seeing the sudden attack Garret makes towards Valter Sylvash leaps to his feet and makes his way closer.
ENOUGH!, he screams with anger. We must not kill each other, did I not demostrate that clearly enough when I spared the fop? As he says this he points with his axe at Valter, still sitting on the ground holding his small blade.

By no means do I mind killing, but if you kill him and it turns out he might have been the key to getting back to our lives, then you will pay dearly little one. Sylvash says to Garret.
Now man, speak truth, do you truly have all your memories?

Sense Motive: [roll0]Come on decent roll!

Gorgondantess
2009-02-14, 10:59 PM
Valter glares at the lizardman, annoyed at all the accusations, and still furious at his assault. His voice full of venom, he spits out at the lizardman, "No. No, I do not have your memories. Nor do I want your memories. Nor will I ever have anything to do with your worthless, inane memories. So cease your foolish questioning and do something useful."

LittleCarp04
2009-02-14, 11:06 PM
Sylvash
I said nothing of my memories! Do you retain your memories and what do you have that allowed you to do so! You must know something of why we are here if you speak true.

Seffbasilisk
2009-02-14, 11:28 PM
Garret

[roll0]

Ready to spring again, Garret slowly backs off, to let the lizardman take over. He stays alert and defensive, ready to pouce if need be. He does not believe that killing Valter would be a loss, and is ready to do what is necessary to get who he is back.

Gorgondantess
2009-02-15, 12:01 AM
Valter glares at the lizardman, still annoyed. "Yes, I have my memories. All but last night, that is. And as for you, killing me won't get you anywhere. Put away your blade, now."
Well, I suppose I'll have to roll another bluff check. [roll0]

Seffbasilisk
2009-02-15, 12:07 AM
Garret

[roll0]

"Do you? Do you even really remember who you are? What's your favorite color?"

Lukmar
2009-02-15, 05:38 AM
Kovl

Kovl was approaching where the Halfling and the human female huddled over the wood, when the Halfling suddenly leaps into action and threatens the half-elf. Surprised at this turn of events the gnome stands by, observing as accusations fly back and forth and Sylvash intervenes.

Fighting amongst ourselves wont get us out of this predicament… we’ll just end up like the elf and the minotaur. Muses the gnome, though he wonders if Lord Valter is being entirely truthful...

Sense motive: [roll0]

... and he seems to be. Though it appears that the Halfling is clearly not convinced.

Addressing the Halfling, Kovl asks curiously. "Why do you doubt him? I have no particular liking for this man, but he does seem sincere."

Ashen Star
2009-02-15, 08:35 AM
Hex

Sighing in what almost sounds like disappointment, Hex looks over the others gathered. Well, I certainly hope this gets settled soon. Would one of you be so kind as to help me skin that minotaur over there? It seems that whoever I was, I didn't believe in bladed weapons. Right now our best course of action is to rest and preserve energy for the night. Of course, if you feel like dying out here in the middle of nowhere, by all means be my guest.
His gaze shifting over to focus specifically on the squabblers, Now, Lord Valter, or who ever you are, I don't give a rat's arse who you are or what your title is. In case it failed your notice, we're in the middle of nowhere. Your court is meaningless, as are your trials and tribulations. Like it or not, we're in this together, for now. Another grin splits Hex's face.
And if you're bound and determined to fight, I'm sure our lizardman wouldn't mind more fresh food for the journey.

LittleCarp04
2009-02-15, 11:11 AM
Sylvash

This pointless arguing is getting us nowhere. Valter you may have been high and mighty back home, but here you are just the same as us, well except your leg is useless. Sylvash lets out a hearty laugh as he says that.

We need to rest and then come up with a plan in the morning.

As he says that Sylvash jumps in the well again to refresh himself, then climbs out and lays near the downed tree.

Gorgondantess
2009-02-15, 02:46 PM
Valter ***** an eyebrow at the halfling, annoyed and perplexed. "I am above this. If you don't believe me, that's your own fault, boy. I won't sit through your badgerings. Now go away and do something useful."

Seffbasilisk
2009-02-15, 09:00 PM
Garret

Raising an eyebrow in return, Garret taunts him with "Blue? Green? You can't remember. You're just like the rest of us, just more needy for attention. I will. I'd say the same for you, but it doesn't look like you're to be much good at, well....anything." With that ending barb, the halfling turns, and returns to the piece of wood and Teira, muttering to her "His mouth says one thing, but his eyes betray him. He doesn't remember anything either. Useless fop."

Ethrael
2009-02-16, 03:53 AM
Having moved off his pack from Valter's leg quite a while ago and having sat down on the ground, Mordo had remained silent throughout the whole argument.

First Sense Motive - [roll0]
Second Sense Motive - [roll1]

((Yay!))

Finally showing any signs of life after Valter's second lie, Mordo chuckles to himself. He begins to draw some sort of sigil in the ground with one end of his ghost spike, unconsciously and without meaning. In a whisper strong enough to show itself underneath all the other angered voices there, but not yet strong enough to add to the cacophony, Mordo speaks out, There were only two things said which were true just now. One, "Lord Valter"'s defense that killing him will not do anything to help us, and two, that no matter who he was we are all on the same level now. Now, he looks up at the group. Everything else is a lie. You are not a Lord, and you still do not have the authority to order us around. On top of that, you keep saying "go do something useful". What are we to do? We're lost in the middle of bloody nowhere trying to find out who we are and how to get back home. You're spouting of lies will get us nowhere but cause chaos among us, and I think you know that too.

I am Mordo Aran, "Warrior King" in Elven. That is all I know, and that is all I have to go on. I suggest we pool our thoughts and think together rather than against each other. Now, he turns his attention to Sylvash and Garret. Killing and savagely forcing others to follow you on account of your great strength and combat abilities are no ways of progressing either. For now, we need to put everything away and decide on what we should do, based on the individual's strengths, ignoring bias and anything else which would cause desynchronisation between us. And Valter, if you're bored, find something more useful to have fun with.

Seffbasilisk
2009-02-16, 04:43 AM
Garret Leafgrower

Nodding his head to the shapechanger, Garret responds "I am Garret, Strength of the spear, Leafgrower...which...should be obvious. I don't know what's going on here, I don't care for orders that make no sense, and I just want to get my memories back, and get out of here." Lengthening his rod to a spear's length for emphasis, he then shrinks it back down, and returns to his slow, careful, scraping of the wood.

Lukmar
2009-02-16, 05:36 AM
Kovl

Realizing the truth behind both the Halfling’s and the changeling’s words, Kovl looks at the half-elf, shaking his head. Turning to the others, he introduces himself with a small bow.

“A pleasure meeting you both, Mordo Aran and Garret Leafgrower. I am Kovl Faerdin and this is Tiger” the gnome indicates the orange-striped cat besides him. “I don’t know what this place is nor why such a disparate group came together; but I agree that cooperation is the key to getting out of our predicament.”

With that, he glances at where the tree once stood, rubbing his chin musingly. “You found nothing of notice when the tree was whole, correct?” He asks Mordo “Want to help me poke around now? It’s the only other thing here besides the well, so might as well double check there is really nothing to it.”

Kovl sets off to examine the remains of the trunk and, if the soil is loose enough, he’ll have a go at uncovering the roots.

Search check: [roll0]

Meltemi
2009-02-16, 10:57 AM
Teira

With the situation defused, Teira relaxed. As Garret and the changeling independently pointed out Valter's lies, she nodded slightly. The changeling then identified himself as Mordo, and as others began to speak their own names, she added her own. "I am Teira Feiwright. I suspect that I was some sort of scholar from the manner of my knowledge, but I doubt any of us here could corroborate such a claim in either case, given our condition." Sitting down near Garret, but not so close as to interfere with his work, she began to take a quick inventory of her supplies, noting in particular her total supply of rations, an ink pen and wells, paper, a bundled tent, and that unusual book, the last of which she carefully kept within the haversack rather than lifting it out. Having completed her check, she withdrew the strange blue cylindrical stone from her pocket. Perhaps it was magical, or perhaps there was some unusual story of the past regarding it, something to explain why she had clung to it even as whatever took their memories struck them.

Knowledge (Arcana): [roll0]
Knowledge (History):[roll1]

LittleCarp04
2009-02-16, 11:41 AM
Sylvash

Sylvash bristles as the words of Mordo.

I do not attempt to lead, simply to cease this foolishness and try to accomplish something, now please rest! We will renew our searches after we have recovered some strength.

After resting a short while Sylvash awakens quickly and looks around, everything was as it was last he remembered. He stands and heads towards the well and begins looking for any details about it. Afterwards he jumps in and decides to do a little exploring.

Rolls:

Spot for well[roll0]

Search for underwater:[roll1]

Spot underwater: [roll2]

Swim:[roll3]

Keep in mind i can hold breath 4x my con (not sure if its score or modifier, but either way definately long enough to get a good look around.

If i find a opening, i want to go down stream for about half of my time, if there is any air to breath i will keep swimming until i find something.

Ethrael
2009-02-16, 12:09 PM
Mordo nods, satisfied that his words have their effect. To Kovl, he murmurs an affirmative, Yeah, I didn't see anything on the horizon, and I didn't find anything about the tree itself. Yes, check it out again, you might be more fortunate than me.

As Teira introduces herself then begins her musings, Mordo does so as well. Your knowledge, huh? Do you remember reading anything about a place which matches this description? Something like "Barren Plain With Single Grey Tree and Well"? His attention turns to himself, and he sounds very self-immersed, wondering at what he was.I might have been some sort of assassin, judging from my weapons and...these. He says, taking out one of the numerous vials of poison from his pack. Interesting. Well hopefully my persona as a shapeshifter hasn't changed.

Mustering all his familiar feelings, Mordo uses his Minor Shape Change Racial Ability. He grows about a foot taller, his shoulders broaden and his skin, eyes and hair all take on the aspects of a fair, blue-eyed elf. Yep, still got it. He grins.

Finally, as Sylvash dives into the well, he watches expectantly, waiting for him to return, hopefully with good news. After a while he sits again, drawing in the dust again, hoping for some sort shape to come out which might be of help, something impulsive and perhaps what he's done many times over.

Meltemi
2009-02-16, 01:20 PM
Teira

Teira shook her head slightly, looking up from her study to Mordo. "Unfortunately, I do not know our specific location, but I can tell you that this wasteland is entirely unnatural, so it may not have been in any texts." Even she snorts slightly at this obvious statement, but she elaborates. "To wit, there is no reason I can determine that this place cannot support life, yet except for us and what was left of a single tree, this place has less life than all but the very harshest desert. Whatever struck us down may have destroyed all life around us outright. If that is the right of it, it may be we should consider ourselves lucky," she added dryly.

Highwarlord
2009-02-16, 07:18 PM
Kovl - Upon close examination, you can see that the root structure of the tree is largely intact, but completely lifeless. There appears to have been no drought killing this tree; the soil beneath it is slightly damp. The plant seems to have simply ceased functioning.

Teira - Though you can gauge no arcane purpose for the spell, you are absolutely certain that it is historically insignificant, barring one case in a far-past era in which an orc king was slain by a halfling with a similarly blue stone launched from a sling. This is most likely not that stone.

Sylvash - The slew of fish and small creature corpses coming from upstream seems to be nearly endless. You find that the stream moves through a chute twenty feet below the surface of the well. The chute curls downwards and the current becomes incredibly rapid as you move through it, the force of the water propelling you through the tunnel.The current slows as the chute levels off. The stream widens and there is some space overhead. The water level is approximately fifteen feet below the roof of the cavern. Just as you come to the surface of the stream and discover this, the following happens -
//OOC: Where you wake up depends on the four Con checks.

Upon the verbalization of the lifelessness of the plains, you all feel a pain reverberating through your heads. As a single memory returns to your heads, you feel as though you are living through this single painful moment again. You feel the ground shake beneath you and a thousand screams alight the plains. You see grass whither away into dust, insects drop in mid flight, and fish instantly cease their movements. A grey mist rises as the release of thousands of souls and the destruction of billions of tiny lives shocks the very core of the land. You remember looking out at this maelstrom of death . . . and then you awaken once more.
You all gain one level.

Seffbasilisk
2009-02-16, 07:49 PM
Garret

Clutching his head at the sudden rush, he opens his eyes a wondering, and seeing others reacting much as he had, realizes it was shared by all. Looking down at the piece of wood, he redoubles his efforts, knowing that escape from this place, is necessary. As he bends to task, he asks of Teira "Please. Help me. I need to get out of here."

[roll0] + any aid.

Meltemi
2009-02-16, 08:19 PM
Teira

Teira was slightly dazed as the memory released her, and she looked around to see the others all recovering with various degrees of success. At Garret's words, she nodded. "Indeed. That was...rather disconcerting," she admitted.

Aid Garret: Craft (Boat): [roll0]

Gorgondantess
2009-02-16, 09:34 PM
Valter takes on a look of reproach, and waves his hand at them. "Believe what you will. I never lied, and have no reason to do so. I just certainly hope the others should be less paranoid. And, if you must know, shouldn't it be obvious?" He waves his hand over his clothes (which are loose silver silks) in a graceful, flowing way. "My favorite color is silver, paranoid boy. I can remember that because I never forgot it." At the rush, he shakes a bit, but blows it off as if nothing happened.
Curse you people and your good rolls! Grr! But, hey, 5 still believe me. Or at least should- even though you said otherwise, the roll should hold, shouldn't it?
Anyhow, woo, another level of swashbuckler!

LittleCarp04
2009-02-16, 09:40 PM
Sylvash

The shock of the memory jolted Sylvash from his surroundings, he thought about the pain as he passed out floating in the water...

Fighter for me ( I really need the feats haha) Then im goin pure barb after the next level. :)

Ethrael
2009-02-17, 06:31 AM
Yay for more Ninja-y goodness!

And by the way, I think Mordo has just switched from CN to True Neutral. I don't know why I made him CN in the first place. :smalltongue:

Mordo drops his Ghost Spike as the memory returns and clutches his head in pain. As it passes he looks about at his comrades, also affected by the flash. Running as many possibilities through his head, a look of dread dawns upon his face. The reptilian has been down there for a long time, and with this headache I'm sorta worried about him. Should one of us go check to see if he's OK?

Ghal Marak
2009-02-17, 03:32 PM
Gathnashk

Gathnashk awoke from his light drowsing and gripped his head. He hissed in pain when the memory came back, and was supprised when just as quickly as it came the pain was gone.

Standing up, he turned to face the well. "I'll go." His voice croaked horribly, seemingly unused long before the current situation. He hopped up onto the lip of the well then dove in. Once down in the water, he started searching for Sylvash if he wasn't imediately visible.

Huh, I wonder how I am suppost to find him. Do I roll to see if I go up stream instead of down stream or what?

LittleCarp04
2009-02-17, 05:09 PM
Sylvash

Sylvash awakes farther downstream than he remembered being when the memory struck him. He takes stock of his surroundings and notices he still has both axes on his back and he looks around where he is.

Ok Im not sure what I am supposed to see/not see so ill wait for DM to say something about it

Highwarlord
2009-02-18, 03:18 PM
Sylvash - //OOC: Sorry about not posting sooner. The board was being problematic.
You awaken in complete darkness, on a beach or island formed of what feels like soaked ash. The ground beneath you shifts as you move, clumps of the material sliding off into the current as you do so. The air smells of burnt life, a vast array of mixed scents that makes it difficult to discern any odor in particular. You hear faint drips on all sides and, far more alarming, the rustling of displaced ash in front of you
Gathnashk -
//OOC: Actually, you get to choose which way you want to go.
The surface of the water contains the floating corpses of a throng of small insects, though no living specimens seem to be about. The water flows gently past you, making it apparent that this is part of some underground stream. You manage to dive over sixty feet below the surface before coming to the bottom. The depths of the well seems to be littered with the skeletons of fish and a few frogs. As the gentle current moves the corpses downstream, it becomes apparent that the dead wildlife is not from this well alone, with skeletons of these small creatures floating from upstream as well. While the water coming from upstream flows through a wide opening that spans nearly the entirety of the height of the well, the top of the opening through which the water flows downstream lies fifteen feet below the surface. You can see no sign of your fellow lizardman.

LittleCarp04
2009-02-19, 12:03 AM
Sylvash

Hearing the slight noise in front of himself, Sylvash jumps up and grabs his axe from his back.

He looks around trying to see anything in the darkness, and keeping a sharp ear for any other noises he hears. He doesn't move for fear of giving away his position.

Listen: [roll0]

Spot:[roll1]

Highwarlord
2009-02-19, 01:51 AM
Sylvash While your eyes still cannot make out anything in the darkness, your jumping to your feet seems to have surprised some creatures that had been scurrying in the darkness ahead of you. You hear frightened whispers in a language you cannot discern, and the rustling noises of shifting ash increases rapidly

Ethrael
2009-02-19, 03:18 AM
Mordo nods at Gathnask's offer. Try to bring him back up if he's hurt, but otherwise just let us know what's down there...

Lukmar
2009-02-19, 05:44 AM
Kovl

As he scoops up a fistful of soil from the base of the tree, Kovl notices that it is slightly damp. That’s curious. It does not look like drought killed…

Abruptly the gnome clutches his head and collapses on his knees as a wave of pain accompanies the brief memory. Reeling from the sudden rush, he notices that the rest of his ‘companions’ have also been affected by the same phenomenon.

Getting up, Kovl brushes the dirt off his pants. Seeing that Mordo and the other lizardman are already taking care of finding out how Sylvash is faring in the well, he approaches Teira and Garret. Studying their activity for a moment or two, he asks.

“I am unsure of what you are building here, but can I be of any assistance?”

If they accept his aid, Kovl will help as best he can. Craft (boat): [roll0]

Ghal Marak
2009-02-19, 03:34 PM
Gathnashk

Gathnashk swam back to the surface and looked up at Mordo. "Dead. The well is full of dead things. No sign of Sylvash. I'm going back to look again." Taking a deap breath, he dove back down and swam upstream.

Ethrael
2009-02-19, 04:49 PM
Looking down at Gathnashk a white shade falls over Mordo's fair elven face. Keep looking, he whispers weakly. He seems to be greatly afraid of a comrade's death, something not exactly expected from someone who specialised in death.

Suddenly, a flash of hope bursts onto his face as he remembers something Sylvash said a while ago. He mentioned something about currents, do they lead anywhere? If he was knocked out by the memory he would have been floated along them.

LittleCarp04
2009-02-19, 05:05 PM
Sylvash

Sylvash speaks in common, Can you understand me, where am I and why are we here?

If he doesn't receive a response he will charge the voice ahead of him in hopes of hitting it.

Ok trying to remember charge rules at work, isnt it +2 attack, -2 ac? Ill choose not to rage unless I feel threatened then I might.

Attack: [roll0]

Damage: [roll1]

If I hit something I will yell as loud as I can to the others, if I don't...

Ill still yell.

Sylvash takes in a big breath and yells as loud as possible, in the hopes that the others will hear him.

I am still down here, there are others but I can't see them!!

Seffbasilisk
2009-02-19, 05:16 PM
Garret Leafgrower

"Well...I'm not the mightiest person, and if I knew how to swim, I don't remember it...so I'm trying to make a little boat. I figure if we're to go down the well, I can go down and sit in my boat, and paddle along to keep up with the rest of you. If you're not too heavy, I suppose it'd be able to help one or two of you along as well." Garret explains, still trying to shape the piece of wood. He gladly accepts any help others offer.

Highwarlord
2009-02-19, 09:59 PM
Sylvash - //OOC: You'll need to make a roll for concealment, since you can't see the target. Also, I'll leave it up to you whether or not you want to attack or not after I give their reactions, since I'm unsure from your post whether or not this will count as a response.

You hear another hissing whisper, much louder this time and again in an indeterminate language. Though you cannot understand what is being said, you can determine that this voice is directed towards you. From further behind, you can hear another being speak in a hoarse voice in what seems to be the same language, but are unsure to whom it is directed.

The group on the surface succeeds in crafting a small, primitive canoe for the halfling by hollowing out one of the largest chunks of wood (a four foot long piece).

Gathnashk -
Roll a listen check, please
// Do you want to affix other pieces of wood to make a raft or just make Garret's canoe?

LittleCarp04
2009-02-19, 10:51 PM
Isn't concealment a 50% miss chance right?

so does [roll0] work?

Highwarlord
2009-02-19, 11:57 PM
LittleCarp04 - Yeah, that would be right. Were you going to go through with the attack?

Lukmar
2009-02-20, 03:40 AM
Kovl

As Garret explains the idea of a small boat, Kovl nods his understanding and sets down to help. After a few moments, he pauses and looks back at the rest of the pile of wood from the tree, his expression pensive. I wonder if… we would need rope, quite a bit of it, but that I should have.

Looking back at Garret and Teira, he explains the idea. "What about making a larger craft? I have quite a bite of rope and we could tie together some of the larger chunks of wood to create a raft big enough to carry more of us."

HWL, is the well’s diameter large enough to realistically lower such a craft inside?

LittleCarp04
2009-02-20, 09:06 AM
I decided I wont charge, I will ready action to attack if I feel threatened, and will continue to speak and listen actively.

Who are you people? Do you understand me? He says in both common and draconic.

Meltemi
2009-02-20, 10:46 AM
Teira

OOC: I'm awful with measurements, and there's no guarantee that the two groups' settings are perfectly identical, but the other group's well has a 6 foot diameter. That means that a raft would be less than 4.2 feet square to fit at its largest. That would be...big enough for us if we scrunch in, I think?

At Kovl's suggestion, Teira nodded. "That sounds feasible. I think a raft might be the simplest design we could make, unless any of us are skilled shipwrights." She glanced over at the pile of firewood, still untouched. "It seems the others had trouble building a fire, so we may be able to build additional craft rather than attempt to fit everyone on a single one. That would also help us, should one capsizes."

Highwarlord
2009-02-20, 02:24 PM
Boatbuilders - Yes, the well's diameter is six feet. This is much wider than the classical image of the well Timmy falls down. You can easily fit a four foot canoe inside, but a raft would have to either be circular, or relatively small. (It has a theoretical maximum area of 28.27 square feet, but will have to be much, much smaller than that since you probably cannot make a perfectly circular raft)

Sylvash - Upon hearing you speak in draconic, there is a further hissing conference between the two, before one of them calls out in a thickly accented voice - "Be you darkdweller or surfaceprey?"

LittleCarp04
2009-02-20, 03:23 PM
Sylvash

At the deeply accented question, Sylvash’s interest peaks.

I am not sure what you mean, I am still not sure why I am here or where here even is, are you a friend to me or foe? He responds in Draconic.

As he waits for their answer he trys to hear for how many of them there are and their locations.

Listen Check: [roll0]

Ashen Star
2009-02-20, 05:09 PM
Hex

Biding his time after recovering from the memories hitting him, Hex stays out of everyone's way, helping if asked but never offering. He keeps an eye on everyone and attempts to act as a lookout of sorts, but distraction always takes some form or another.

Highwarlord
2009-02-20, 06:04 PM
Sylvash - The inquiring voice makes some more hissing noises in its own language, with the second hoarse voice replying in kind. You cannot hear any sounds that would indicate there being more than two creatures. The first voice then speaks to you again. It ignores your query, instead asking you questions of its own - "It has been many cycles since we last had a surfaceprey enter the homecavern. Only drymorsels have come down from the stream and we scented naught but death from the surfaceholes. Is your preynest near?"

LittleCarp04
2009-02-21, 12:19 PM
Sylvash

I don't know where here is darkone, there is nothing but death up there, death and a few of my new friends. We are all unsure of where we are, can you help us?

Highwarlord
2009-02-21, 04:28 PM
Sylvash - The second speaker calls out to the first in their strange tongue in its hoarse voice, and the the first responds in kind. It then calls out to you again, asking - "These 'friends' - are they surfaceprey of scale and claw, or are they morsels of pink flesh?"

LittleCarp04
2009-02-21, 04:38 PM
Sylvash

Becoming more and more aware of the dark one's intentions, Sylvash responds.

Some of both, but they are all fierce warriors, especially one human who speaks as though he rules everyone.

I am still waiting for them to do something to warrant an attack, but I am sooo drawn into the story right now haha

Highwarlord
2009-02-21, 06:30 PM
Sylvash - Upon hearing that the group is mixed, the speaker hisses loudly. The second, hoarser speaker makes more strange noises, making it apparent that it is inquiring what was said. The first speaker ignores him, yelling at you -"By Tooth and Claw! It does you no credit to let one of pink flesh blaspheme against the scale! We shall aid your scaled brethren in their slaughter, that we may feed and you may stand tall once more! Take us to these 'fierce warrior' surfaceprey!"

LittleCarp04
2009-02-22, 11:49 AM
Sylvash

Upon hearing their words Sylvash tried to decide his next movements.

I was knocked unconscious as I was coming downstream, do you know the way back to the well? Or is there another way we can go from here to get to the surface?

Mainly trying to see if they have a hive or something else down here or know a different way to the surface, but if we can bring them up and torture one that would work for me too.

Highwarlord
2009-02-22, 08:25 PM
Sylvash - The voice hisses in reply "We know of no 'well' . . . we have not ventured upstream since the dead began drifting down to us. Perhaps it is time we went forth." You hear a rustling noise, and it confers briefly with the other speaker before saying "return to the water - we shall follow you up to this . . . 'well.'"

LittleCarp04
2009-02-22, 09:59 PM
Sylvash

Sylvash gets back in the water, aware that he may be ambushed at any point during the swim, but willing to risk it in order to try to learn more. He swims back upstream the current making it a much harder journey.

Follow me upstream, I don't know how far it is, so don't get behind, I won't stop for you.

Swim check: [roll0]

Highwarlord
2009-02-22, 10:59 PM
Sylvash - //OOC: Seems the solo portion is coming to an end. Hopefully the others will be posting soon.
As you swim upstream, you find that the water is much thicker than you remember it being underneath the well. As you swim up into a grotto, you find the consistency of the water seems to thin once more. Eventually, you see a dim light coming up through a chute. It takes your eyes some time to adjust to even this minimal amount of lighting, but you can finally see your surroundings. The ground is still thick with skeletal remains, and there are occasional clumps of ash flowing from upstream.

The two creatures were able to keep up with you easily in the water, and you can occasionally feel one sweep past you and then fall back. As you enter the light, you can finally see your odd companions. Both are coated in pitch-black scales that seem to glisten in the little available light, making their form visible. They appear to have the rough form of elongated lizards, with webbed front and rear claws. A dorsal ridge runs from their draconic heads, flowing over their spine to the ends of their tails. As they swim, this ridge moves in a wave pattern, giving them increased maneuverability in the water. Stranger still, long, dark wings spread out from their sides. While they keep up with you easily without exerting them, one will occasionally give off a powerful flap of its wings and propel past you, before opening the wings wide to let the current move them back behind you once more.

LittleCarp04
2009-02-22, 11:14 PM
Sylvash

They are up above, let me go up and get them to let their guard down then I will call you up. What are your names, I am Sylvash.

Assuming they agree, I will climb up and speak to the group in common,
Below me are two odd creatures like I have never seen, or remember seeing anyway. They are under ther assumption that they are here to come and eat the humans and other fleshlings. We need to appear weak, but when the time is right we have to ambush them and hopefully we can learn more of where we are.

Seffbasilisk
2009-02-22, 11:24 PM
Garret Leafgrower

"If we appear weak...won't they attack us anyway? I can try, but I promise you, the first one that tries to bite me will die. Do we have to go down there? It seems like we'd stand a better chance up here." Garret questions, absent mindedly fingering his blade, hoping he was a fighter.

Highwarlord
2009-02-23, 01:21 AM
Sylvash - One of the creatures, presumably the one you spoke with, nods at your suggestion. "Then go with strength - strength in Tooth and Claw!" They seem confused by your question of name, seeming to not understand the word you used. "We are darkdweller."

Ethrael
2009-02-23, 02:03 AM
After having started pacing to and fro, Mordo is greatly startled when Sylvash comes up. Upon hearing his news, his face shifts from surprise and fear to a sly smile. Appear weak, huh? As he says this, he shifts from a tall broad elf to one two feet smaller, skinny and frail. His face has developed wrinkles and his skin tone is pale and sickly. Tell me, why is it they want to eat the humans? Have you found out anything else from them? His voice is wavering and weak, like that of an old man.

LittleCarp04
2009-02-23, 10:08 AM
Sylvash

Upon hearing their questions, Sylvash takes the axe from his back and turns to his new companions and says in common,

They will come up to us, but they think you all to be weak. Ready yourselves and I will call them up, you should probably try to appear frightened but as soon as they show themselves adn are clear of the well we will attack.

Meltemi
2009-02-23, 10:43 AM
Teira

Teira nodded at Sylvash's suggestions. She shifted her working area away from the well and withdrew a small crossbow from within her robes. Loading it with that unfamiliar, yet practiced ease that no longer surprised her, she set it behind a piece of wood, hidden from sight of the well yet readily available to pick up at a moment's notice. "Then, we shall be ready."

Something suddenly occurred to her, an odd sensation that there was something else she could yet do. She stood up and approached Mordo. "Excuse me, but may I..." She paused, at a loss for words and distinctly uncomfortable with the mental gap that it signified. "I think that there is something that needs to be done for the coming conflict, as you appear to lack armour of any sort." Concentrating, trying to keep the elusive flickers of memory firmly in her mind, she drew a small piece of leather from her spell component pouch and began to chant softly. As she felt the power flowing up, she touched his arm, and she felt it surround the changeling in a protective cloak. As the fragment of leather crumbled to dust, she stepped back and looked at her hand with some surprise. "That was unusual." She bowed imperceptibly and returned to her work near Garret and Kovl.

Cast spell on Mordo Aran: Mage Armour

Ethrael
2009-02-23, 01:33 PM
Mordo draws his Ghost Spike, ready to wield it with both hands and moves towards the well, crouching and seemingly resuming his previous sketching in the dust.

As Teira approaches him, noting his lack of armour he lifts a knowledgeable finger and begins to try to correct her. Ah you underestimate my abilities, you see, as I trained- As she casts the spell, however, he shuts up, staring on in wonder as the effects take place. He whispers an oath in a mysterious language, full of guttural and fluctuating sounds. Thank you. He manages simply, reverting to his previous voice.

Lukmar
2009-02-23, 02:26 PM
Kovl

When Teira proposes building more than one craft, Kovl quickly thinks it over and nods his agreement. “That is a prudent idea, and it will be easier to lower several smaller craft down the well rather than a larger one.”

As Sylvash re-emerges from the well with his news and plan to ambush the creatures, Kovl mentally goes over his weapons before selecting the crossbow. Following Teira’s example, he loads a bolt and hides the weapon from sight, though it is still within easy reach.

As he turns to resume the work on the water craft, he is caught stupefied by the spell Teira cast on Mordo. Again, memories dance just beyond his reach, so tantalizingly close… The book! That spell is written in the book! I know it. I… Suddenly oblivious about their soon to arrive ‘guests’, Kovl opens his backpack and pulls out a leather-bound volume, hoping to bring into focus more memories as he pours over the arcane symbols contained in its pages.

If we are doing initiative straight away, I would say that Kovl is caught distracted for the 1st round

Seffbasilisk
2009-02-23, 02:44 PM
Garret Leafgrower

Somehow cooly confident that his stature will convince the well-dwellers that he's weak, Garret shifts the rod to a shortsword and practices holding it awkwardly, as if uncomfortable with a blade in his hands. When they come up, he hunkers down further, and retreats a half-step, almost behind Teira.

[roll0] (+whatever circumstance modifiers apply)

Ghal Marak
2009-02-23, 04:11 PM
Gathnashk

After swimming upstream long enough to grow concerned about air, he turned back and swam for the well. Resurfacing and seeing no one at the top, he climbed out and looked around at the assembled group. "I did not find him going..." He trails off when Sylvash pulled himself out of the well. "Ah, I see. Your not dead. Good."

Ethrael
2009-02-23, 04:58 PM
Oh I didn't know we were supposed to make Bluff checks to act weak. Can I make a Disguise check as I have a +10 on it due to the shapechanging? I'll make both in any case:

Bluff- [roll0]

Disguise- [roll1]

Hell yeah! :smallbiggrin:

Mordo nods at Gathnashk and seems to visibly relax upon seeing Sylvash.

LittleCarp04
2009-02-23, 05:49 PM
Sylvash

Perhaps he did not see becuase these are creatures of darkness, and they also had no problems swimming the whole distance easily, they must be very adept at hiding. But don't believe me if you wish. I will call to them soon since they speak draconic, and they will side with me if you wish... Or you can get over your self doubts and ready yourself for battle, so that we can defeat these enemies and hopefully learn something from it. Sylvash says as he draws his axe from his back, choosing it over the wooden one because he is as of yet unsure how it will react.

Assuming everyone is ready, I will now call to the dark ones.

In Draconic, Come new friends these fleshlings are distracted amongst themselves and unprepared for what comes.

Ashen Star
2009-02-23, 06:04 PM
Hex

Simply taking everything in stride, Hex slumps forward a bit, attempting to look defeated and unable to comprehend anything other than fear.I hope this works.

[roll0]

Ethrael
2009-02-23, 06:08 PM
((So much for editing the posts...))

As Mordo dismisses the chance that Sylvash may have been lying, he seems to be getting sick of his cynicism, yet smiles wryly when he tells him to ready himself for battle. You think I'm not ready?

Lukmar
2009-02-23, 06:50 PM
Bluff check: [roll0]. Do I get any bonus for actually being distracted? :smalltongue:

Gorgondantess
2009-02-23, 07:48 PM
Valter, who had been silent until now, looks up from his musings. "Appear weak, eh? Under normal circumstances I should refuse, but considering the circumstances, I shouldn't even need to try." With that, he stands up shakily, and using his blade as a crutch hobbles over about ten feet from the well, andbeing propped up casts a spell to prepare for the ensuing confrontation.
Casting shield.

Meltemi
2009-02-23, 08:15 PM
"I shall do my best, then." Leaning over, Teira did her best to look completely absorbed in her work, maintaining an impassive air.

Bluff: [roll0]

Highwarlord
2009-02-23, 09:00 PM
Upon Sylvash's call down the well, two dragon-like creatures burst forth from the well. Their elongated lizard-like body spreads easily over nine feet in length, and a ridge runs from their heads down over their spine, thinning as it reaches the ends of their tails. Their ebony scales glisten in the veiled light from the overcast sky as they slough off the well's water. Each of the creatures gives off a cry in their own language as they climb up into the sky. One of them gives off a second cry, in a language more familiar to some.
//Those who can speak draconic - "By Tooth and Claw! The sky belongs to darkdweller once more!"
It seems in their exuberance to take flight, they have forgotten about their original intent entirely. The two soar a hundred feet above ground and begin making circles around the area.

LittleCarp04
2009-02-23, 09:09 PM
Sylvash

Do you know where you are, or where this is? He calls in Draconic. Turning to his companions he says in common,

They are acting as though it has been a long time since they have seen the surface. But I guess that soon there exhilaration will end and they will be hungry for flesh. Let them get close so we can bring all our strength to bear then attack. If they are truly interested in talking instead of fighting, then let us learn what we can of this place.

Seffbasilisk
2009-02-23, 10:09 PM
Garret Leafgrower
AC: 20
HP: 21/21
[roll0]

Cautiously working his sling out of his belt, Garret slides a stone into it's pouch, and slowly lets it down to dangle, readying himself to strike first should they seek to attack. At Slyvash's works, he gives him a curt nod, clutching the sling just a bit tighter. Here's hoping I know what to do with this... he thinks to himself.

Highwarlord
2009-02-23, 10:54 PM
The two figures seem to remember their original purpose and circle much closer to the group. The one that spoke in Draconic does so again, this time directed at the two lizardfolk -
"Strike at the softskins, surfaceprey of scale, and we shall slaughter those who lift up arms against you!"

Ethrael
2009-02-24, 02:33 AM
Acting terrified and startled by the arrival of the dark ones, partly true, Mordo stumbles back, clutching his Ghost Spike for support. He looks up as they soar above and whispers to Sylvash, What are they saying?

Oh and Initiative was 16 for me.

LittleCarp04
2009-02-24, 10:06 AM
Sylvash

Sylvash was slightly taken aback at seeing them in the light, but was quick to action, he turned to the others and said in common, Anyone who can attack at them while they are airborn should do so, if we can bring them down then we will have an advantage. Wait for my signal.

To the other darkones he yells in draconic, Come friends these weaklings are cowed by your magnificence, let us destroy them together! I do not want to take all the fun for myself, I have already injured the pompous man, Sylvash says pointing at Valter.

Seffbasilisk
2009-02-24, 10:58 AM
Garret Leafgrower

Tensing his arm, in preparation to whip it around and send the lead slug skyward, Garret holds for Sylvash's signal, hoping the lizardfolk knows what he's doing.

Lukmar
2009-02-24, 12:53 PM
Kovl

As the dragon-like creatures shot out of the well into the overcast sky, Tiger begins hissing and puffs up while tracking the aerial display. His reading interrupted, Kovl finally takes notice of the two creatures as they address the lizardfolk in draconic.

Nodding absentmindedly as Sylvash warns them to wait for his signal before initiating the attack, he closes his book and follows the creatures with his gaze as they begin circling closer to the group. Wait for the signal… wait for it… he thinks to himself as his hand opens and closes repeatedly, betraying his nervousness.

Highwarlord
2009-02-24, 04:22 PM
The two 'darkdwellers' watch Sylvash and Gathnashk carefully, but continue circling thirty feet over the group.

LittleCarp04
2009-02-24, 04:37 PM
Sylvash

Upon seeing that the beasts were staying up, he yells to the group, NOW! He also turns to Valter and attacks using the back of his axe in an attempt to get the dragons above to come in melee range.

Roll for attack: -2 for non-lethal (or is it -4? If its -4 then minus an extra 2.
[roll0]

Damage:[roll1] Edit: ill choose to remove all my str dmg, didnt know you could do that so its only 4 dmg. instead of 14.

Hopefully this will get the dragons above to attack down, and also throw my friends off enough that they think its real.

Seffbasilisk
2009-02-24, 04:46 PM
Garret Leafgrower

At Sylvash's shout, Garret whips the sling round, sending a stone arcing skyward, aiming for any weakpoints he can see on the closer monster.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Meltemi
2009-02-24, 05:06 PM
Teira
Teira continued to watch as the "darkdwellers" continued to circle overhead. As Sylvash gave a shout and swung at Valter, another strange sensation came over her. Her hand went not to the crossbow as she had planned, but instead to her component pouch as if by instinct. Without knowing why, she pulled out a small packet of sand that had clearly been prepared in advance. The words and motions came unbidden to her mind, but also came with the realization that they were still too high for whatever her subconsciousness was trying to tell her to do. As Garret rose beside her and fired a bullet upwards from his sling, striking solidly at the nearer of the two, she realized that it would almost certainly come after them, or at least low enough for her to hit, and she started preparing to follow through.

Initiative roll of 6 from the OOC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5814302&postcount=153)
If they're still too high to hit when my turn comes, I'll ready an action to cast colour spray at one or both once they're in range. If they're already low enough, I'll cast the spell straight, and try not to hit anyone friendly.

Ethrael
2009-02-24, 05:29 PM
Mordo moves slowly to just about underneath where they're circling. He prepares an action of Ghost Step (Invisible) whenever they come within 15-10'.

Inititative is 17 from OOC Thread. If I get the chance, I'll strike from invisibility with both ends of the Ghost Spike. Only at one of them, mind you, the other I'm saving for later... :smalltongue:

Attack - [roll0];[roll1]
Damage - Mythweaver servers are down, and I can't remember how much damage it does, so I'm gonna roll Damage later.
Sudden Strike Damage - [roll2];

Ethrael
2009-02-24, 05:33 PM
Ooh! Possible critical... Forgot second sudden strike... :smalltongue:

Critical Confirmation - [roll0]
Second Sudden Strike Damage - [roll1]
Normal Damage - 1st [roll2]; 2nd [roll3]

Ok, I'm very sorry, but it turns out my stats for my Ghost Spike are actually wrong (apparently they're always masterwork), so I've posted up this correct table to help display my attack rolls. :smallredface:

{table=head]Roll|1st Attack|2nd Attack

To Hit|14|Natural 20

Critical Confirmation|-|18

Normal Damage|8|9

Sudden Strike Damage|7|6

Critical Multiplier|-|x3

Total Damage|15|Normal: 15/Critical: 33[/table]

Phew, sorry about that, I'll be more careful next time. :smallsmile:

Lukmar
2009-02-24, 06:13 PM
Kovl

When Sylvash shouts the signal, Kovl draws quick but precise patterns with his hand while reciting an evocation under his breath. As the last arcane syllable rolls off his tongue two missiles of magical energy dart forth from his outstretched fingertips and strike the darkdweller circling above him.

Cast magic missile. Force damage: [roll0]. Automatic hit (creature not hit by Garret) unless they have spell resistance. Spell resistance check (if needed): [roll1]

Satisfied that he was able to get the spell off without a hitch, Kovl reaches for his crossbow.

Max damage! Sweet :smallbiggrin:

Highwarlord
2009-02-24, 11:32 PM
As Sylvash attacks, both of the creatures begin to dive at Valter. The sling bullet ricochets off of the scaly hide of its target, but the two bolts of force damage burst into its chest. It gives off a hiss of anger at the obvious pain caused by the attack. Veering off course, it instead soars, claws outstretched towards the little spellcaster. Unfortunately for it, the burst of color from Teira's fingertips strikes it just in the eyes as swoops past. At the blinding burst of color, the creature rolls over with shocking dexterity, but the disorientation of the color trips up the maneuver slightly and a wingtip catches the ground. The creature spins out of control and lands awkwardly thirty feet behind the group, momentarily dazed.

The second creature flies true to its initial target, diving down only when it is just over Valter. Twisting sideways as it does, it slams an elbow against Valter's shoulder, slamming the man into the ground. It then lashes out with its left claw at his face. Only the tips of the creature's claws land, but even so you feel the strength of the creature behind the blow and its dagger-sharp claws open three lines of pain and blood across your face.
Valter, make a strength check DC 24 or be knocked down. You also take 10 damage

Oh yes, and Ethrael - both creatures flew too high off the ground until they approached their victims for you to attack them with your prepared action. Roll a jump check to see if you can leap up to hit the first one as it dives.

Gorgondantess
2009-02-24, 11:54 PM
Valter collapses to the ground, unable to withstand the onslaught; his mind reels with fury, the audacity of the lizard man; attacking him was uncalled for, no matter the circumstances. He would pay, with equal injury, and then some for the insult; for now, time to reverse the tides. Valter turns onto his back, weaving his magic once more; when the thing was under his sway, then he could have his fun... after this, Valter grabs his sword, unsheathing it and using the scabbard as a crutch, he gets up, blade in hand, standing proud.
Charm person on Sylvash, DC 16 will save, etc. Now down to 14 hp... do I need a balance check to get up?

Highwarlord
2009-02-25, 12:17 AM
Gorgondantess - Nah, I'll give you that one. Everyone deserves at least to die standing :smallbiggrin:
That was a joke. This is my failsafe in case you have no humor

LittleCarp04
2009-02-25, 12:39 AM
Sylvash

Sylvash turns to the beast next to him as it reaches out and strikes Valter. He allows the rage to build up inside him and let out a vicious attack against the dragon.

Gorgondantess
2009-02-25, 12:54 AM
I have the feeling it won't be me who dies standing. Anyhow, talking is a free action, so I'll interject this and see how Sylvash reacts, and see if I can't wreak a bit of damage. No, how would Sylvash react to this one...
Friend... listen to me. We have a new plan, to destroy these things; and you can do it yourself; you will fight, you will kill, and you will be victorious. We will crush our enemies beneath our boots. Now, drop your axe- these other weaklings will need all the help they can get- and attack these things. Make them angry, make yourself a target- then kill them. Tear them to shreds. Taste their blood, rend their flesh; you need no weapons, you need no allies, do it alone, draw them to yourself. Do this as a warrior, and for a fellow warrior, leap into the fray and destroy them.
Well, I'm hoping I've caught enough of Sylvash's personality to get him to do this; the intent is to kill 2 birds with one stone, but instead of birds, think lizard-people.:smallwink:

Seffbasilisk
2009-02-25, 01:35 AM
Garret Leafgrower
Initiative: 23
AC: 20 (18 after charge)
HP: 21/21

Tucking away the sling with his left hand, Garret charges at the downed pseudo-dragon, lunging forward in an attempt to kill one quickly.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Ethrael
2009-02-25, 02:01 AM
Jump- [roll0]. Am I invisible when I do this attack?

After/he has attacked, he will shout out. Don't kill the last one! We need him for questioning!

Can I change my attack type to non-lethal? When I post my last post I didn't know that there would only be one left...

Highwarlord
2009-02-25, 03:12 AM
The ninja is incapable of leaping high enough to strike the 'darkdweller' as it swooped towards the casters.

littlecarp - Well, you didn't have a ranged weapon, so there wasn't much you could do during the surprise round (aside from hit Valter, of course). I therefore assumed that you would want to wait until after they came into melee range before taking your next action.

Also, I think your attack and damage rolls assume you are using a weapon, when the charm spell was used to make you attack without one.

Lukmar
2009-02-25, 03:26 AM
Kovl

Kovl’s satisfied smile at seeing his magic hurt the creature is short lived as the darkdweller veers and swoops towards him. Oh crap! Take cover you fool! Hid…
As he stumbles backwards, a blinding burst of colour emanates from behind the gnome and throws the creature off balance. Disoriented, it spins out of control before landing awkwardly not thirty feet away.

Happy at having missed his chance to examine the beast’s claws from a more intimate perspective, Kovl wastes no time and, taking aim with his crossbow, fires a bolt at the darkdweller.

Attack roll: [roll0]. If it hits, damage [roll1] and sneak damage [roll2]. BTW Highwarlord, does the creature look hurt after all these attacks or more like it suffered just a few scratches?

LittleCarp04
2009-02-25, 08:41 AM
Yah I figured he would just get me to attack them but im fine without my axe hah, i have claws and teeth :) Is the one within melee range? If so I will make a full attack using my 2 claws, and bite attacks. I will considert the last actions i took to not happen (and edit the post accordingly.)

Heres new rolls for my claws and bite.

[roll0] 2 Claws
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4] Bite Attack.
[roll5]

Meltemi
2009-02-25, 10:50 AM
Teira

As the darkdweller lunged down at the three of them, Teira began her spell. Raising a hand, fingers splayed, she let loose a cone of colours that swept over the creature, confusing it and knocking it from the sky. As it tumbled, a bolt from Kovl caught it, but Teira was already whispering the words to another spell. As she finished, a small sphere of acid flew out at where the creature lay. She didn't wait to see if it struck; she was already lifting her own crossbow and preparing to fire again.

Cast spell: Acid Splash
Damage: [roll0] (acid)
Touch Attack Roll: [roll1]

Ghal Marak
2009-02-25, 01:24 PM
Gathnashk
AC:19
HP:11

Tracking the one still moving creature with an open palm, he began to make gestures with his other hand not unlike Teira's. But instead of any recignizable spell, a purple and black beam dicharged from his hand.

Touch Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

Using Eldritch Spear just to make sure that it's in range.

Highwarlord
2009-02-26, 01:59 AM
Hex
The slender fey-touched articulates some mystic noises and points a finger at the still combative dragon-like being and a wave of green light arches forth towards the creature, seeming almost sluggish as it rolls through the air along some invisible line. As the green light makes contact, the scaled being's movements become visibly slower and less coordinated.

Casting Ray of Clumsiness
[roll0]
[roll1]

Highwarlord
2009-02-26, 02:16 AM
Teira's tiny glob of acid strikes the first creature as it crashes to the ground, causing some of its scales to bubble over and melt away. Once the creature hits the ground, momentarily stunned, Kovl's bolt sinks into this tiny hole. Garrit's strike against the downed creature is not so accurate, and is deflected by the creature's armored hide. Because the creature is momentarily stunned, it is difficult to tell what the effect of your assaults had on it.

One of Sylvash's claws strikes true, gashing the still combative creature's shoulder. The lizardman's savage bite sinks into the side of its wing, and it gives out a brief cry of pain. The warlock's bolt flies past him, and seems to have gone unnoticed. However, the 'darkdweller' has seemed to have noticed Valter's spell and calls out in draconic -
"Ssah! This pink-skinned parasite shall not control a creature of Scale!"
It lashes out with its right claw, but Valter manages to drop to the left and the blow goes wide pounding into the side of the well. Hissing with pain, its left hand grabs the half-elf, its talons sinking into his chest. It pulls him back and then slams him into the well. He can feel the force of the blow running through his side and several ribs cracking within his chest.
Valter takes 12 points of damage.

LittleCarp04
2009-02-26, 07:07 AM
Sylvash

Upon seeing Valter smashed into the well, Sylvash makes another vicious attack at the dragon.

Ok so gonna full attack again,

[roll0] 2 Claws
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4] Bite Attack.
[roll5]

Sweet Critical! Crit confirm roll in OOC of 27

Ashen Star
2009-02-26, 06:08 PM
Hex

Pulling a scroll out of his scrollcase, Hex recites the symbols inscribed on it, hoping he manages to cast the spell held within at the faerie thing.

Casting Ray of Enfeeblement from a scroll.
[roll0] (Do I need this considering I took level 2 as a Sorcerer?)
[roll1] Against touch AC of the dragon.
[roll2] Strength damage.

Seffbasilisk
2009-02-26, 06:32 PM
Garret Leafgrower

Round: 2

Fienting to the left, Garret stabs again, trying to sink his blade into a tender part of the downed creature.

[roll0] -4 for nonhumanoid
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Ethrael
2009-02-27, 01:55 AM
Ok, round two.

Mordo runs up to the stunned (still invisible) and thwacks it with his Ghost spike, scraping the edge on its face but not actually stabbing it.

Attack To Hit - [roll0] (-4 for non-lethal; +2 for Charge)
Damage - [roll1]

Can I make a Grapple attempt at the end? Or is it a standard action? Otherwise..

Don't kill this one! Help...help Valter with the other one! The air calls out in Mordo's voice. ((Free action + Move + Standard))

Meltemi
2009-02-27, 09:20 PM
Teira
At Mordo's words, Teira gave a quick glance to where the other darkdweller was being mauled by Sylvash. "Do they need help? The other warrior seems to have that creature well in hand. We must make certain we bind this one." As she spoke, she drew her silk rope from her haversack, she rushes forward to bind the stunned creature before it can recover.

OOC: I hope this is alright by the rules.

Lukmar
2009-03-02, 06:36 AM
Kovl

As he sees Teira approaching the felled darkdweller, Kovl shouts out a warning. Careful Teira! It is no longer stunned! Wasting no time, he reloads his crossbow and, taking aim, fires the bolt at the creature.

Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]
If the attack threatens, reroll for the critical [roll2], Critical damage: [roll3]

Meltemi
2009-03-03, 11:01 AM
Teira

At Kovl's warning, Teira immediately switched to her dagger, too close now to use her crossbow.

Switching action to attack:
Attack: [roll0] (+1 BAB, +1 Dagger, -4 Non-lethal)
Damage: [roll1] (non-lethal)

Ghal Marak
2009-03-04, 10:59 PM
Gathnashk

Gathnashk bared his teeth at the miss, and prepared to launch another bolt. Focusing the energies once more into his palm, he let loose with the eldritch bolt.

Still attacking the same [blank].

Touch Attack: [roll0]

Highwarlord
2009-03-05, 10:57 PM
The crossbow bolt goes wide and the halfling's blade and the ghost spike both glance off of the first creature's hide. Pushing itself to its rear legs, the creature wobbles unsteadily for a moment as its vision clears, and then leaps backwards away from its harassers, its wings propelling it back forty feet before it makes a soft landing.

The second creature fares much more poorly. The crippling ray strikes it in its shoulder, and its muscles visibly shrink and contract in its right arm. As the weakening pulse flows through the rest of its body, Sylvash's claw sinks into his chest. The barbarian rips out one of the creature's ribs, leaving a sucking wound in its chest. The warlock's bolt then crashes into its leg, burning the surface with eldritch energy. Seeing its one time victim's defensive stance and the fury of his allies, the creature clutches its side and leaps to the air, calling out in its own language to its compatriot as it prepares to flee.

Sylvash and Valter get AOOs against their creature. The other creature is taking a double move action directly away from its attackers and does not draw attacks of opportunity.

LittleCarp04
2009-03-05, 11:36 PM
Sylvash

AoO: [roll0]

As the creature tries to break free from his attack, Sylvash reaches out with his mouth trying to tear a piece off of the creature.

Ethrael
2009-03-06, 03:38 AM
((Is the creature within range of a charged attack?))

Mordo hisses violently now and launches himself in the darkdweller's direction. In his right hand he holds his ghost spike outwards behind him and with his other he makes an intricate wave to his left. Immediately there is a small, soft burst of pale grey-white energy around him and he ripples into the air.

Move Silently - [roll0]

Lukmar
2009-03-06, 01:05 PM
Kovl

Cursing in a mixture of Giant and Dwarven as the creature leaps away, Kovl reloads his crossbow. Bringing up the weapon, he takes aim and fires another bolt at the darkdweller...

Attack:[roll0] Damage:[roll1]
If hit threatens, Critical:[roll2] Damage:[roll3]

... and curses some more as the shot misses the creature completely!

Gorgondantess
2009-03-06, 09:38 PM
Valter smiles at his new friend; pity he wasn't taking much damage himself, but it was nevertheless effective. As the creature draws near, Valter smiles lazily, whipping up his sword and ineffectually swinging at air.
damage:[roll1]

Ethrael
2009-03-07, 03:46 AM
OK, assuming that I can attack on a charge, here goes:

Mordo runs up (hopefully) behind the [name] silently (hopefully) and stabs brutally (hopefully) into its arm, a place where damage wouldn't normally be dangerous.

Attack to Hit - [roll0] (Non-lethal)
Damage - [roll1]

Seffbasilisk
2009-03-07, 10:49 AM
Garret Leafgrower

Tucking away his knife, Garret slides another bullet into his sling. Whirling it around, he whips it up at the drake-like thing that's evaded his blows so far.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Meltemi
2009-03-09, 10:15 AM
Teira

Teira slipped her dagger back into its sheath as the creature leapt away and lifted her crossbow again, firing a bolt at it as it landed.

Highwarlord
2009-03-10, 12:37 AM
Though Valter's swing goes wide, Sylvash's teeth sink into the dark creature's leg, and the enraged barbarian clings on with his jaws as the creature swoops off the ground. Though it tries to shake him off, his grip is too firm and he clings to the creature as it sails forty feet up off of the ground.

// The rest of the actions are occurring in a normal round, so I'll wait until the rest of you post actions before adjudicating.

Ghal Marak
2009-03-10, 12:52 AM
Gathnashk

Continuing with his attack, Gathnashk started to feel some doubts about the fight. Maybe he should have sidded with the... creatures. They had viewed both himself and Sylvash as kin after all. Shrugging (mentaly), he let loose yet another bolt at the same beast. Too late for regrets now.

Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

Using Eldritch Spear in case I need the range.

LittleCarp04
2009-03-10, 09:00 PM
Sylvash

Sylvash grunts with the strain of hanging on to the beast as it begans to gain height, he also reaches up with his claws and trys to tear bits from its flesh. He bites down as hard as he can and trys to tear even more flesh free and falls back to earth so he is not flown higher than he can survive the fall.

Going to full attack, 2 claws and bite.

[roll0] claw
[roll1] claw
[roll2] bite

[roll3] claw
[roll4] claw
[roll5] bite

Will release his jaw and fall back to earth, not sure how high he is so dont know how much falling dmg i take.

Gorgondantess
2009-03-10, 09:08 PM
Valter looks up in the sky at Sylvash, arms crossed, grinning widely and on the verge of breaking out laughing at the clinging beast. It looks like his plan worked out quite well after all. What goes up must come down...

Highwarlord
2009-03-12, 02:10 PM
Sylvash tears open the creature's flesh with his two claws prior before to dropping to the ground. The dark being opens its mouth to shriek, and as it gives off its cry, blood pours out of its mouth. The creatures wings are spread wide as the barbarian drops below it, but its body hangs limp. The creature glides slowly forward, a trail of blood lining the ground below it as it coasts along.

The second creatures wounds begin to slow it down as well. As Garrit's bullet punches through its hide, it too leaps up into the air and flies toward its companion. Taking a hold on the wounded creature's shoulder, it guides it outwards away from the group.

Lukmar
2009-03-12, 06:28 PM
Kovl

As Kovl reloads his crossbow, he watches in fascination as the creature takes to the sky and succors its companion, guiding it away from the group.

Uh-oh… They are getting away…

Taking careful aim, Kovl tracks the duo with his weapon and fires another bolt at the darkdweller who is steering the flight.

Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] If they are still within 80 feet no penalties apply to the attack

Watching the small bolt shoot towards the duo, he suddenly realises that his shot had not taken into account the strong altitude winds. True enough, the bolt is swept off-course as the creatures continue unmolested.

Well, at least we can follow the trail of blood… Muses the gnome as he watches the receding figures.

Ethrael
2009-03-16, 04:48 PM
Mordo, seeing the creatures trying to take off, immediately sprints as fast as possible and, still invisible, attempts to attack the creature Sylvash wasn't attacking (the one previously stunned). He takes off into the air with a great leap and launches forward with his Ghost Spike.

Jump - [roll0]
Attack To Hit - [roll1] ((Lethal this time and with Charge Bonus))
Attack Damage - [roll2]

Could he try and get a grapple attempt on its leg or something to drag it back down?

Highwarlord
2009-03-16, 08:12 PM
The ninja's leap falls a few feet short of the creature, but brings him close enough to bring his ghost spike to bear. He opens a gash on the leg of the creature before he drops back to the ground.

Sylvash -
Sorry about not posting this before, but you should roll a Jump or Tumble check to reduce your fall damage. DC 15. Success means you take 2d6 damage, 1d6 nonlethal. Failure means you take 3d6 damage, again 1d6 of which is nonlethal.

LittleCarp04
2009-03-16, 10:03 PM
With mythweavers down I dont remember my exact jump mod, but 6 str mod, 4 racial jump, and probably 5 ranks, thats a 17 mod, so lemme roll it up!!

[roll0]

Seffbasilisk
2009-03-17, 12:19 AM
Garret Leafgrower

Feeding his sling, and again whirling his sling as he trots along, aiming for the one he'd attacked, and trying to crack wingbones, Garret strives to drive them to earth.

[roll0] (-2 for every 50ft range incriment away.
[roll1]
[roll2]

(If he's considered 'grappled' with the other one, then he's denied dex.)

Ethrael
2009-03-20, 02:03 AM
A muffled Thump! is heard as Mordo leaps back down to the ground. The air about him shimmers, then seems to peel away as he slowly becomes visible again. Looking up at the retreating forms with disdain. Racist basterds... He has half a mind to shake his fist angrily at them. Instead, he slowly begins to dust himself down and pocket his weapons, always keeping an eye on the creatures.

Gorgondantess
2009-03-20, 04:56 PM
Valter mournfully watches the creatures fly off into the distance, and gives an elaborate salute with his blade, sheathing it. As Sylvash falls to the ground, he claps politely, a smirk on his face.

Highwarlord
2009-03-20, 06:35 PM
The two creatures float away, propelled by the winds of this shattered land. With a few well timed beats of its wings, the still conscious creature guides his fallen comrades off into the distance. Whether there is any reason to the direction of his travel is impossible to discern, but the creatures continue to drift off into the horizon.

As they leave, you feel a warm glow within yourselves - you know not what this strange place has yet in store for you, but you now do know one thing - you can fight.

You gain your second level due to your first combat as a group

Seffbasilisk
2009-03-20, 10:46 PM
Garret

Tucking a stone into his sling without thinking about it, Garret begins to whirl it, eying the fleeing creatures. Slowing the whirl, he lays the sling out over his hand, staring at it in wonder. Quietly, as if to himself, he says "I guess I am a fighter..." Standing tall, well, a bit taller, he looks over his newfound allies with a growing sense of confidence. Tucking his sling away, Garret ducks into a bow to Slyvash.

[roll0] DC: 20 to pass along message.

Ethrael
2009-03-21, 08:21 AM
Mordo finishes brushing himself off and stands up and smiles at the group. Well that was a little bout of fun, wasn't it? Stretching off the glowing, power-fueled feeling, he moves to rejoin the group.

Lukmar
2009-03-21, 09:40 AM
Kovl

Turning away from the two creatures as they float away into the distance, Kovl looks down at the cat besides him.

Meow?

I know Tiger. Don’t think we have seen the last of them yet.

Shaking his head, the gnome rejoins the group, the cat closely behind him. Upon seeing the bloodied lizardman and Valter, who is grinning and clapping at Sylvash, he asks curiously.

Did we miss anything when you were fighting off the second creature?

Ethrael
2009-03-23, 01:39 PM
Mordo

Mordo also eyes the scene curiously as Valter looks on joyously at the battle-scarred lizardman. He murmurs to Kovl quietly as he passes him, I... don't think so. He approaches the well and looks down, also addressing the bystanders there. So now I assume we're supposed to go down there and past their lair?

Meltemi
2009-03-23, 09:04 PM
Teira

Teira let the crossbow drop to point at the ground, relaxing the string as she watched the creatures flee. Carefully removing the bolt and returning it, she returned to the group quietly, contemplative. The spells had come by reflex, as had her use of the crossbow, but her ability in the battle had obviously been tied to her sorcery rather than the weapon in her hand. Even so, they had worked well together to do this much, she decided, though her inability to capture one as they had planned sat poorly with her.

Gorgondantess
2009-03-23, 10:25 PM
Valter winces as he claps, as he abducts his arm it disturbs his wounds. He holds it together as blood seeps out of his chest. "My... shirt..." Shaking his head, he steps forward, pale and shaky, held up by using his sheathe as a crutch. "Well then. We've fended these things off... a victory, I'll say. None of us badly wounded, or anything crippling. But though we have fended off death at the hands of others, we still don't know where we are, how we got here, or even how to get out. We're back to square one. If Sylvash is not too wounded by his fall, he will need to return to scouting out the well... but the rest of us need a means of transport. Or something. If we're going to build a raft, we need to build a raft now- there's no telling how far civilization will be, or the next source of food. When our stock runs out, what then? Best to get out of here as soon as possible, I say. And if any of you have bandages or somesuch, I should like to requsition them... I need to patch myself up here, so I can get more done than just bleeding all over the place."

Ethrael
2009-03-24, 02:05 AM
Mordo nods at Valter's words as he patches up his wounds. When he's finished, he moves back and looks at all of them, just to make sure none of them need any help too. After Valter has finished speaking, however, he picks up on his mentioning the raft. Why can't we just swim? You could even just float and paddle slowly downstream, I'm assuming there's nothing else alive here though. Sylvash, what do you think?

Heal - [roll0] That's including the +2 from the Healer's Kit and I'm using up one use. :smallsmile:

Lukmar
2009-03-24, 06:26 AM
As Mordo deals with Valter’s wounds, Kovl approaches Teira and gives her a small bow with the head.

I must thank you for your timely intervention. Had you not used that spell to throw off the creature swooping down towards me, I would now be so much ripped flesh strewn about the dirt.

He raises an eyebrow at her, I assume the blinding burst of colour was a spell?

Gorgondantess
2009-03-24, 05:45 PM
As Mordo comes along to patch him up, Valter holds out his hand. "Give me that; I'll do it myself. I've done enough laying around as it is. As for the water... well, it's not as simple as all that. In a small, calm area, maybe... but there's no telling what muck or currents might throw off one's bouyancy, and without a working leg, even just floating in still clean water could be a trial."
My own heal roll (doubtlessly less than his) [roll0]... and why do I keep getting natural ones? Really. No, really.:smallsigh:

LittleCarp04
2009-03-25, 11:31 AM
Sylvash

Sylvash falls heavily to the ground as soon as the beasts fly off, and tries his best to listen to the other's questions as he rests from his exertions.

I don't know what were to do now. It is pure darkness down there, however I could try to search upstream instead, and hope that I will actually make it conciously. For some reason as I was going downstream, a wave of memories overtook me and I was unable to control myself for a few moments.

Meltemi
2009-03-25, 07:23 PM
Teira

Kovl asked his question, and Teira nodded slightly. "Yes, it was, I believe. It was..." She paused, trying to find the proper words. "It was as if it was something I have known for some time. Still, that seems to be the case for most of what we have been doing." She disliked being at such a loss, but it was nonetheless the case for now.

At Sylvash's words, she looked over to where he was resting. "Then, you saw the destruction of this place as well? I see, that does make sense. It also appeared to affect all of us on the surface," she added, recalling that everyone she had noticed had similar reactions to the event.

Ghal Marak
2009-03-25, 08:14 PM
Gathnashk

Walking over to where Sylvash fell, he sat down next to him and looked off where the things had gone. "What did they say to you down there?"

Highwarlord
2009-03-25, 11:29 PM
Valter:
You begin to feel sensation return to his legs. Almost instantaneously, they begin to work once again as though they had never been rendered immobile. Your own inept care of the wounds to your chest provide you with no relief, and succeed only in agitating the wounds. Fortunately, no serious damage is caused.

Ethrael
2009-03-26, 01:54 AM
Mordo sees Valter struggling to lick his wounds and, becoming a little frustrated, he snatches back the bandage and kit from him, saying quietly, mostly to himself, Just let me do it. Don't worry, you've done enough. He fixes Valter's chest wound after a quick inspection of the partially successfully made bandaging to his legs.

Do I have to make another Heal roll, or can I use the one from before? Also, I'm assuming that with Valter's low roll it used up one of the Healer's Kit's uses, no?

As Sylvash mentions the memories, Mordo nods and says generally to the group, I doubt that would happen again, and even if it does, maybe another one of us could come with you?

Highwarlord
2009-03-28, 03:38 AM
Ethrael Go ahead and use your last roll, but I'm honestly unsure what you guys are rolling heal checks for, aside from roleplay purposes.

Ethrael
2009-03-28, 05:39 AM
Mordo finishes patching up Valter's wound and stands a little back. There, all done. He smiles at him.

Don't we have to make rolls for bandaging wounds at all? It wouldn't be a natural thing to do so we'd have to make rolls, right?

Lukmar
2009-03-31, 06:36 PM
Kovl

Nodding as Teira confirms his supposition, Kovl says quietly. Perhaps, when we have a moment of respite, we could compare our respective spells and learn from each other.

He then turns to Sylvash. We still need some time to complete the water craft that will allow the rest of us to follow you and keep dry. Says Kovl with a small smile. In the meanwhile, if you could explore ahead of us it would be helpful. Who knows? If you find some dry land down there, and we may be better off spending the night inside the well than out here…

Seffbasilisk
2009-04-01, 12:50 AM
Garret Leafgrower

Content with his own little craft, Garret helps the others work to craft the raft pieces that would be sent down the well and then lashed together. His blade shifting in his hand from task to task, sometimes reforming as many as four times before he finds a shape suitable to him he gets to work.

[roll0]
If someone more qualified is directing it, I'll merely roll to Aid Another.

Lukmar
2009-04-01, 04:08 PM
Kovl

Kovl joins the Halfling and lends his assistance in building additional craft.

Craft check (boat building): [roll0]

Highwarlord
2009-04-01, 05:03 PM
In fairly short order, the halfling and the gnome have succeeded in putting together rafts suitable for carrying the larger folk. Though their strength remains untested, they seem relatively secure for a short voyage, provided they are lowered into the well with care.

Ethrael
2009-04-02, 04:11 AM
Mordo looks on in wonder as the others construct the rafts, shaking his head at his own uselessness in crafting objects. He focuses a little again, shapeshifting in his original form again. His grey skin is tinted with tiny beads of sweat on the fringes of his white hair. He large, round, black eyes stare blankly at the group. I'll probably swim. There's nothing really in my pack which will be destroyed if wet, but I'll try and waterproof it a little too...

He then takes out his cloak and silk rope, and proceeds to attempt to tie his cloak over the pack so that it covers most of, if not all, the surface of the pack.

Use Rope - [roll0]

Seffbasilisk
2009-04-03, 12:19 PM
Garret Leafgrower

Shrinking his blade down, Garret looks to the others, and their new crafts proudly, asking "Are we ready? I'd like to find out more about my former life, and the waterway seems best..."

LittleCarp04
2009-04-04, 11:26 AM
Sylvash

Yes lets go again shall we? I will lead the way I want to go upstream a ways before we head back that way again. Do any of you have a way to get light down there because it is pure darkness.

Meltemi
2009-04-06, 06:03 AM
Teira

"I have an oil lantern that we could use, as long as it does not become wet. Do we plan to depart immediately, or take the evening to recover from the worst of our injuries and prepare?" she asked, noticing Valter's condition. To Kovl's offer, she added, "That could be useful."

Gorgondantess
2009-04-06, 05:02 PM
Valter stands up. "My leg is starting to feel better, and I'm not so wounded as all that. Let's go."

Lukmar
2009-04-09, 03:52 AM
Kovl

I also have a lantern that we can use. As to the choice of going now or waiting... I would be inclined for us to make a move now. Kovl looks around the group to see what the general consensus is.

Ethrael
2009-04-09, 05:25 AM
I'm ready. Mordo announces, almost enjoying the sense of adventure. Shouldering his now-partly-waterproof pack, he motions a hand towards Sylvash, Would you care to lead the way? before concentrating and shapeshifting into a more aquatic creature. He decides to morph into an aquatic human, with webbed fingers and feet and getting ready to dive in.

LittleCarp04
2009-04-10, 03:53 PM
Sylvash

Yes, lets go.

With that Sylvash dives back into the cool waters of the well and wades easily while the others find their way down.

Highwarlord
2009-04-10, 07:05 PM
The well appears as Sylvash remembered it - dim, and with a slow current. The tide of fish and small animal carcases ebbing along the base of the well has not faltered since he dove in earlier in the day. The ash seems more settled, however, and now drifts along in smaller chunks, though the swirling caused by the lizardman's motion breaks apart some of these pieces to color the water and make it less transparent once more.

Ethrael
2009-04-11, 03:35 AM
Mordo dives in after Sylvash, surfacing and trying to make out anything that he can see in the darkness. We should wait for the others before we head off upstream or downstream. He says, treading water easily.

Swim - [roll0]

Meltemi
2009-04-14, 11:33 AM
Teira

Teira, for her part, pulled her lantern out of her haversack and added a pint of oil to it, though she didn't light it yet. She then walked over to one of the finished rafts. "Could you aid me with lowering these into the well?" she asked of the others.

OOC:
Not certain what to roll to get the craft down the well safely. If we need to tie them to a rope to lower them, can I take 10?

Highwarlord
2009-04-14, 07:06 PM
It's a strength check; you can take 10 if you want, and can get others to help as well.

Lukmar
2009-04-16, 11:03 AM
Kovl

Kovl pulls out a lantern of his own from his backpack, and checks to make sure that it has enough oil. Satisfied, he moves towards Teira who is getting ready to lower them into the well.

Let me give you a hand with those. He says as he grabs hold of the raft Teira wants to move and prepares to help lift it.

Strength check: [roll0]

Highwarlord
2009-04-16, 03:55 PM
The craft are lowered into the well without issue, and the group quickly becomes ready to explore the current beneath the well. Using the leftover wood uninvolved in forging the craft as poles, they have some navigability within the confines of the chute in which you find yourselves. The lizardmen physically pulling along the craft could offer further aid in guiding it, should the occupants be unable to retain control. The current is fairly slow, so progress upstream is feasible, albeit significantly slower than the downstream method of transit. Though you know neither where the aerial reptiles you fought fled to or where, exactly, you are going it is surely a relief to you all finally be moving somewhere other than the immediate vicinity of the well in that desolate wasteland.

I'd like to know who is on which craft. Gorgondantess said to NPC his character for a while, and I am defaulting the same for Hex so I'll let the rest of you decide if you want them to pair up. The lizardmen and changeling are swimming alongside and Seff has his coracle, so I really only need to know if Teira and Kovl are sharing, or if they want to each partner with one of the temporarily NPCed chars. Ah yes, and are you all going with Sylvash as he scouts upriver or is he going ahead by himself again?

Lukmar
2009-04-18, 06:12 PM
Taking position at the bow of the improvised craft he’s sharing with Valter, Kovl has a pole ready in case he needs to keep the raft away from walls of the chute. Meanwhile, he uses his lantern to scan the surroundings as they delve farther into underground tunnel and the light coming from the well fades.

Spot and listen checks as we go along. Spot: [roll0]; Listen: [roll1]

Though the confines of the dark passage way and the flow of dead insects would be taken as ominous signs and shunned by some, Kovl is actually glad to have left the open wastelands. The less exposed we are, the better. He thinks to himself.

After a while, he whispers to his companions aboard the various watercrafts. We must be watchful, lest we chance upon more of those flying creatures…

Seffbasilisk
2009-04-18, 07:48 PM
Garret

Adepting manipulating his blade, Garret extends it into a long pole, and easily works his coricle along, balancing it easily, as he shoots along, trying to keep abreast of the lizardfolk.

[roll0]

Ethrael
2009-04-19, 01:24 PM
Still treading water, Mordo nods at Kovl's suggestion and turns to Sylvash. So, guide, which way, up or down? He stays alert, looking around and trying to make out as much as possible in the dim light.

Spot - [roll0]
Listen - [roll1]

Just thought we should have it said IC, as we've only talked about OOC, so he wouldn't really have replied to it really...

Lukmar
2009-04-22, 04:38 AM
Kovl

As he helps Valter manouvre their improvised craft, Kovl replies to Mordo.

I would suggest exploring upstream, unless there are strong reasons not to.

Ethrael
2009-04-22, 04:07 PM
Sounds like a plan, Mordo grins and adds, let's move. I'm freezing. He turns to face upstream and swims, sometimes turning the raft to guide it if it turns a little in the wrong direction.

Highwarlord
2009-04-22, 08:19 PM
As the group makes their way upriver, the channel narrows and shortens dramatically. Progress is quite slow for some time, and only slows further as you move up. The lanterns at the prow of your craft help out a great deal, for once you move away from the entryway at the well, there is no light to be found in the tunnel. The water glistens eerily in the dim glow that they provide, the occasional bit of bone or skull peeking up to the surface. Those swimming in the water are constantly prodded by the skeletons. As you move further and further upstream, the water becomes thicker with bones, and it seems as though the skeletons are becoming larger, even as the stream becomes more shallow and narrower. You are certain that you see the occasional mammalian bone amidst the slew of fish, and with increasing frequency. Eventually, the leading raft is struck slightly by something beneath it and becomes momentarily lodged before the current pushes it away. Gathnashk, swimming slightly behind, gets a good view of the object before it drifts away, and emerges from the water for a moment to say to the rest of the group in his dry voice, "A giant's ribcage."

With the enormity of the skeleton that even now is pushed away from your gathering, it may provide cause to rethink your route - do you push on or head back downstream?

Lukmar
2009-04-23, 05:21 PM
Kovl

A giant??? Down here? Kovl, shakes his head, trying to resolve the puzzle.

How could the bones of such a large creature have ended up in this section of the underground stream? Kovl looks over the side of the raft to confirm that the water course is getting narrower and more shallow. He looks up ahead, using the lamp to try and shine some light on the puzzle.

If the stream is getting smaller, perhaps we are reaching its origin... and whatever mass-grave lies behind that. These bones must be coming from somewhere...or from something. I say we press on.

Spot check upstream, if there is anything that kind of stands out: [roll0]

Ethrael
2009-04-24, 05:21 PM
What happened here? Mordo breaths, gawping at the enormous bones. He has stopped swimming by now, and stands up in the water. Can we continue? The mountain might grow as it goes on, but I can't see enough to tell...

Highwarlord
2009-04-24, 06:05 PM
Unfortunately, the lamp light does not extend far enough up the ever-narrowing tunnel to allow you to see far enough ahead to discern what you could be approaching. The tunnel continues to narrow slightly, as it has for the past quarter-mile of the chute, but it does not do so in any particularly hastened manner.

Lukmar
2009-04-28, 04:40 AM
Kovl

Unable to spot anything amiss with his lamp, Kovl turns to Mordo and the lizardfolk. What condition are the bones in? Have they been stripped clean of flesh? Can you tell how long they have been in the water?

As he and Valter keep their craft on course along the tunnel, another thought comes unbidden. Where are the clothes and tools from this giant? If it was killed by some phenomenon, those should have been left untouched… Do you see any remains of clothing, tools or other equipment in the water? The Gnome asks grimly, his eyes and ears alert to any signs of danger as the group keeps moving upstream.

Meltemi
2009-04-28, 12:00 PM
Teira

Teira and Hex continued to maneuver their raft, following the others. Teira suppressed a growing feeling of unease as the skeletal remains continued to drift past, downriver. "If we can, we should continue. I should like to know if this...charnel house," she said with distaste, "is related to what few memories we have regained. At the least, if a giant could enter this stream to die, there may be some way up further onward."

Seffbasilisk
2009-04-28, 01:45 PM
Garret

Shrinking his pole down to a more managable longspear, Garret gives the giant skeleton a prod, trying to shift it, to see if he can what killed it.

[roll0]

"Or perhaps the Giant died trying to get out of the stream..." Garret says ominously.

Highwarlord
2009-04-28, 05:15 PM
As it is moved out from under the raft, the rest of you get a better view of the huge skeletal object. The ribcage looks mostly humanoid, but increased in size by a factor of ten. The warlock's analysis may have been too simplistic - Garret spots spines sticking from the sides of the ribcage that from some corner of his consciousness, he recognizes to be abnormal for a true giant. The creature whose ribcage this belonged to was certainly of a giant's size, but it was not most likely not simply a giant.

The ribcage looks blackened and seared - picked completely clean of any flesh. Whether it died from burning a long time passed or was simply wiped totally clean of life by an immense blast is yet unknown.

Moving upriver, you see a shaft of light coming down into the tunnel. As you approach it, you are at first nearly blinded by the sudden glow of natural light. As your eyes clear, you can see that although the chute has not widened, the current has slowed, making your progress easier. Looking up once you approach the source of the light, you can see that your progress upriver is noticeable from your distance to the land above. The jagged path that the stream cuts is now a mere twenty feet below the surface. The slash in the earth under which you now move yourselves along is jagged in its motion, and the stream makes sharp turns. The walls squeeze up ever close to your craft, though it is still navigable. You have yet to see any signs of life, though you now have the option to abandon your craft and attempt to climb out of the well, or continue moving via the waterways up into the narrowing, twisting channel.

Lukmar
2009-04-30, 04:51 PM
Relieved at seeing that the skeleton, although very large, does not belong to a giant, Kovl is nonetheless slightly shaken by the thought that such large creatures roams the area. Or used to roam the area, as the case may be… and again, the bones have been completely picked clean of any flesh and appear blackened. Glancing back towards Teira, the gnome voices his concern.

It would appear that this creature suffered the effects of some kind of blast, possibly powerful enough to strip it clean of flesh. Either it was caught on the surface and the skeleton somehow ended down here, in which case the question is: why were we not incinerated? Alternatively, the phenomenon occurred below ground and that is why we are seeing such a steady stream of skeletons… though again it does not account for the lack of life on the surface.

As the rag-tag fleet proceeds upstream, light shines into the tunnel through what appears to be another well. Kovl uses his pole to keep the raft as stationary as possible so as to study the well. After a short while, he looks down the dark depths of the twisting tunnel, as if hoping to discern which path would yield more answers to get them out of their predicament.

Which way? I would like to see what lies at the source of this stream, but at the same time, if this is a well like the one where we woke up, there may be people or clues up there. He looks around at the group, waiting to see how the others feel about this.

Spot check: [roll0]. Listen check: [roll1]

Meltemi
2009-05-02, 09:58 PM
Teira

"I would suggest that we at least check above ground in case there is something or someone there. Some of us can remain here to ensure our craft do not drift away, and we can continue upriver if there is nothing there."

Lukmar
2009-05-03, 05:29 PM
Kovl

Looking up to study the well, Kovl shakes his head. I'll have a tough time climbing up there. Would someone else like to go up and have a look?

Ethrael
2009-05-04, 05:08 AM
Mordo, who has remained silent in awe for the past few minutes, suddenly perks up when the climbing it mentioned. He clears his throat and offers himself, I'll go, I could try it. Does anyone have a grappling hook of some sort for this rope? He asks, taking a rope out from underwater, seemingly attached to his belt.

Lukmar
2009-05-04, 09:01 AM
Kovl

Kovl quickly runs down his list of possessions and shakes his head. Sorry Mordo, no grappling hook. Perhaps you could use a stone from the bottom of the stream and tie the rope around that?

As the others check whether they have grappling hook or not, Kovl's face suddenly lights up. Well, it could just work... though it would only offer a limited visual...

@ Highwarlord: could you please describe this 'well' in more detail? How far above us is it? What's it's diameter? Does it appear to have a wall circumscribing it or is it just an opening at ground level?