PDA

View Full Version : Create a Parallel Universe!

Fri
2009-02-11, 06:33 AM
Now you can conciously create a real parallel universe (http://www.mezzacotta.net/singles/create_a_universe.php)

I could explain more, but I think it'd be better if you read the explanation there yourself. From those irregular minds of irregular webcomic readers.

Tempest Fennac
2009-02-11, 06:42 AM
There was a silly message board game a while back where the idea was to create a solar system with other players. The planet I ended up helping to create with a planet which looked like the Greenhill Zone from the first Sonic the Hedgehog game which was inhabited by Phanatons ( http://pandius.com/phanatn2.html ), Gnolls and firebreathing lizard-type things. There were flying cities, large amounts of magic and a type of fruit which contained all the nutritional requirements for any specise. I can't remember who else was focussing on my planet apart from FFfanboy, but it was interresting.

If I was doing that on my own, the planet would probably have more half animal races as well as other areas which resemble Sonic levels (as well as tons of magic). What would a universe which you were completely in charge of be like, Fri?

Fri
2009-02-11, 06:59 AM
Huh.

Dunno. One of those random things that I've been thinking lately was.

Which one is better. Micro Fusion Pack or Internet?

Cause, you see, I just played Fallout 3. That universe diverge from ours at around the end of World War 2. We researched IC chip, and they researched nuclear power. At the new millenium, we got internet and PC, where they got mini fusion battery and flying robot.

Which universe do you think ended up better?

Tempest Fennac
2009-02-11, 07:04 AM
I'd say our world is better because I'm such a huge mark for the internet. If I was born in FO's timeline, I'd probably say the opposite. Only you wouldn;t know I'd think this because we wouldn't know that we both existed.:smalltongue:

Oregano
2009-02-11, 07:12 AM
Well considering our universe has a distinct lack of super mutants and deathclaws I think we might have ended up a bit better.

Om
2009-02-11, 07:50 AM
This the the 'many worlds' theory in which anything that can happen has happened? I've always been somewhat sceptical (http://www.lspace.org/books/dawcn/dawcn-english.html) of that

OverdrivePrime
2009-02-11, 07:55 AM
I was so excited when I first stumbled across the 'many worlds' theory. I'm doing my best to create a few universes that follow the mechanics of the Immortal system. Now the trick is getting there... :smallamused:

Tempest Fennac
2009-02-11, 08:10 AM
I remember reading a book by Scott Adams (he's responsible for a comic called Dilbert) called the Dilbert Future in which he mentions that theory while mentioning that he's found that will power can often affect event outcomes (he mentioned using affirmations to get a very specific score on an exam after not doing very well on the practice papers). How does that system work, Overdrive?

Fri
2009-02-11, 09:53 AM
Well considering our universe has a distinct lack of super mutants and deathclaws I think we might have ended up a bit better.

Arguable. Some would say that the existence of deathclaws or super mutant would make our world much better, or at least much more interesting.

Spiryt
2009-02-11, 10:02 AM
Arguable. Some would say that the existence of deathclaws or super mutant would make our world much better, or at least much more interesting.

Your life on it would be so short you would't be able to get bored.

Mauve Shirt
2009-02-11, 10:05 AM
My parallel universe has zeppelins. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ZeppelinsFromAnotherWorld)

Ilena
2009-02-11, 10:41 AM
Will power has alot of effect, more so then anyone realizes, also my alternate universe would have all the mystical races and so forth that everyone says is a myth, not that i believe what everyone says, i still say they existed or still exist but wisely avoid contact with humans :P

OverdrivePrime
2009-02-11, 10:48 AM
I remember reading a book by Scott Adams (he's responsible for a comic called Dilbert) called the Dilbert Future in which he mentions that theory while mentioning that he's found that will power can often affect event outcomes (he mentioned using affirmations to get a very specific score on an exam after not doing very well on the practice papers). How does that system work, Overdrive?

Well, using your will to attempt to consciously direct outcomes in your immediate universe is considerably different from the Many Worlds theory. Fans of the Celestine Prophecy books might be able to explain that better than I could. I'm not ruling it out, but I'm not ruling it in either.

Anyway, the Many Worlds concept as I understand it (and I'm just a hobbyist so I am sure to be missing a lot) is that our universe has a certain window observation - a massive area which we can observe and verify various laws of the universe. Outside of that (expanding) sphere of observation, we have no way of knowing if things are consistent with the universe that we are able to observe.

So... according to my limited understanding, removed from our sphere of observation is an infinite or near-infinite series of universes which behave according to laws different from our own. Anything can, and the theroy insist that it does, happen different from our own. I kind of regard it as a pleasant fantasy, but don't put a lot of stock into it. Cool and possible, but it seems fairly unlikely.

WalkingTarget
2009-02-11, 01:22 PM
For an interesting take on the Many Worlds interpretation as it applies to consciousness (and other things), try reading Neal Stephenson's novel Anathem. This assumes you are not put off by a 890-page story followed by a glossary and various asides.

Desidus
2009-02-11, 08:22 PM
ooooh trippy....

DigoDragon
2009-02-12, 10:04 AM
Huh... I think I just collapsed the universe I created. Oops.

Tempest Fennac
2009-02-12, 02:38 PM
I was mainly mentioning that theory because it included the posibility of creating alternative timelines, Overdrive.

Illiterate Scribe
2009-02-12, 03:28 PM

Well, willpower to do better making you do better doesn't really need any special explanation that recourses to world tracks, does it?

WalkingTarget: Excellent taste. Anathem might even be Stephenson's best yet, IMO.

Anyway, I didn't choose either of those buttons. I chose something different. I chose ...

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/9843/picture3or9.png

... the creative commons hyperlink!

Assassin89
2009-02-12, 05:53 PM
I doubt that an actual parallel universe is being created. What happens is that both buttons have the same output, meaning that regardless of what button is pressed, text that states that a universe is created is shown.

Innis Cabal
2009-02-12, 08:56 PM
But each is a universe where that button went unpressed. So they are different.

Just like how I made one right at this post. One where I decided to post, and one where I didn't.

Rama_Lei
2009-02-14, 07:24 PM
I like to think I broke the universe by clicking both buttons several times.

Flame of Anor
2009-02-15, 02:13 AM
My parallel universe has zeppelins. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ZeppelinsFromAnotherWorld)

I wanna come into your universe! Real-life zeppelins are too expensive!

...believe me, I've checked.

Trizap
2009-02-15, 02:37 AM
I like to think I broke the universe by clicking both buttons several times.

no, you just created a parallel universe by instead of choosing one or the other, you chose to do that instead, therefore resulting in a parallel universe where both buttons were pressed.

Fredthefighter
2009-02-15, 09:38 AM
I clicked the button and thought about what life would be like if I had clicked the other button. My brain hurts.

Moff Chumley
2009-02-15, 02:14 PM
What practical value does this theory have, though?

Tempest Fennac
2009-02-15, 02:29 PM
Being as it's impossible to tell if thoughts can create parallel universes at the minute, it may not have any practical purpose. If it is true, and it can be proven one day, things would be very interresting.

littlebottom
2009-02-15, 08:47 PM
What practical value does this theory have, though?

practical value? none, well not to us directly, but if this theory is true it does infact mean that every possibility that is in some way phisically possible (or "was" phisically possible) is played out somewhere, meaning; somwhere hitler won the war, took over the world, and is an evil dictator. in another, elvis is still alive! in yet another, im not typeing this, and im infact sitting in the streets having ran away from home when i was 4 and when i was 4 and 1 day and when i was 4 and 2 days... as long as its possible, it will have happenend somewhere, and the value of that is priceless, i mean come on! somewhere somehow, we are married to our dream partner, and live in riches and fame, throughout our entire lives, its nice to think about once in a while.