PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] The Dragon Compendium Team

RMS Oceanic
2009-02-11, 06:55 AM
Just for fun, I was thinking of trying to create a party of 4 or 5 characters that each used something out of the Dragon Compendium, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

My line up so far:

Diopsid Fighter/Barbarian/Tempest?: Anthropomorphic Cockroach that can dual wield two-handed weapons, and ignores dexterity requirements for "two-weapon" feats. The plan would be to take both the TWF tree and Power Attack multiplier tree for massive damage. +1 LA.

Dvati Scout/Ranger: A single player controls two bodies with reduced HP. Use Swift Hunter and Improved Skirmish to have both guys circle a target and watch the skirmish damage stack up. Expensive to get two Splitting bows, but it should be worth it. Two Endless Quivers help compensate for damage reduction as well. Ranged Support guy/Tracker. +1 LA

Kobold Sorceror/Force Missile Mage: Use Greater Kobold rite for free Sorceror level to negate lost level from Missile Mage. Roleplay being descended from a force dragon and use force-based battlefield control stuff, as well as Arcane Thesis (Magic Missile) and the Libris Mortis debuff metamagics to pile on fear effects and negative levels.

Does anyone have recommendations for one or two other ideas? And are there any recommendations for how one would build my existing guys?

Llama231
2009-02-12, 10:34 PM
Huh, I am surprised that no one posted her.
Must have gotten buried...

Anyway, it seems a bit out there.
I like it.:smallamused:

You really need a healer.

What level is this for?

Yay! Short sentences.

arguskos
2009-02-12, 10:55 PM
Tibbit rogue! TIBBIT ROGUE!!! OMG NEEDS MORE TIBBITS!!

Seriously, how could you neglect the housecat race? They make excellent rogues or beguilers. Really.

As for the last dude... hmm... part of me wants to suggest a Death Master, but I can't in good faith. You do need a healer, and don't have space for a Death Master... :smallfrown:

I also think that you need a diabolus, because they're really cool... even though they suck horribly mechanically. >_>

Maybe a Lupin Cleric/Paladin? That might be neat, as would a Lupin Ranger.

RMS Oceanic
2009-02-13, 05:24 AM
This isn't for any particular level, it's more of a build plan.

I'm not sure if I like the Lupin. You give up the bonus feat of a human to get Scent, Play-as-a-Wolf and Ride-is-always-a-class-skill, but not much else. Also, the Dvati is already playing the role of Ranger.

What about a Paladin built around the Serenity feat? (Wisdom to Paladin stuff instead of Cha) Would that unbalance the party too much?

arguskos
2009-02-13, 05:47 AM
Not at all unbalancing (though, I don't know where the Serenity thing is from). I've seen a Lupin Paladin done excellently, and think it would work great. With some sticks of cure, he serves as a great healer too. Also, don't really underestimate the Scent ability. For any adventure that requires tracking or searching for stuff, Scent is really great.

Do you dislike the idea of a Tibbit Rogue? The party needs a face/skillmonkey, and the Tibbit is ideal for both, and serves as a better scout than the Dvati ever could.

Wow, me, the least anthropomorphic person to walk the Earth, is arguing for the animal races. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Oh, and about the Diopsid, I'd probably go Barbarian/Frenzied Berserker with Monkey Grip and anything that gives the ability to wield way oversized weapons (yes yes, MG is a trap, I know, I just like the image of a four-armed bug wielding swords as thick as TREES as weapons). It wouldn't be amazing, but it'd be damned fun, that's for sure.

RMS Oceanic
2009-02-14, 01:33 PM
I dislike Frenzied Beserker. You just know you're gonna fail your will save and wipe out the party sooner or later. Also, Monkey Grip + TWF penalties really stack up, especially in conjunction with Power Attack. The Barbarian level was mainly for Pounce. What I was thinking about though was burning a feat on Spiked Chain proficiency and becoming a tripping machine.

The problem with using the Lupin's scent for tracking is that the Dvati is already a tracker, so it's kinda a waste of a feat to give it to a Paladin.

I like the idea of the Tibbit Rogue/Beguiler, but I'm not sure which one I'd go for.

arguskos
2009-02-14, 03:57 PM
Fair enough. Diopsid Tempest is good in any case.

Tibbit... I've seen both a rogue and a beguiler do silly things, so which ever you want would work rather well. I'm partial to caster types, so I'd probably swing towards beguiler.

Hmm. Last guy... that's tough. Party STILL needs a healer. What about Savant? It's not amazing, but it brings tons of versatility to the party, and can use divine casting in a pinch at higher levels. Between the Tibbit and a Savant, the party can UMD healing wands (not optimal, but it works).

Only thing is what race for the Savant. Maybe just a good 'ol human? :smallconfused:

hotel_papa
2009-02-14, 05:22 PM
Tibbits are wonderful. My wife is rocking a tibbit warmage in one of our games, but we wouldn't want to step on the kobold's tiny, scaly toes.

If your game is Eberron or MM3 friendly, the Urban Druid can make a very interesting class for a Warforged, and Battle Dancer seems to be made for the Shifter (Chaotic Unarmed Warrior? Win.)