PDA

View Full Version : Jack the Gestalt Binder/KotSS//Incarnate/Chameleon

jeek
2009-02-11, 03:48 PM
Working on my dream character, a gestalt that wakes up every day and fills nearly any role. Ideally, playable at all levels. Looking mostly for help picking the L12-18 feats, and also arranging combinations of Vestiges, Melds, and Chameleon focii into playable roles at the various levels.

Starting stats: 10/10/14/16/10/16
Level 1: Binder/Incarnate | Feats: City Slicker (Needed for disguise to get into Chameleon at level 6), Able Learner (Mandatory for Chameleon), Ignore Special Requirements, Improved Binding (last two feats gained via currently unspecified flaws)
Level 2: Binder/Incarnate
Level 3: Binder/Incarnate | Feat: Weapon Focus (Whatever)
Level 4: Binder/Incarnate | +1 STR, Binder Bonus Feat: Expel Vestige
Level 5: Binder/Incarnate
Level 6: Binder/Chameleon | Feat: Bonus Essentia
Level 7: Binder/Chameleon
Level 8: Knight of the Sacred Seal/Chameleon | +1 STR, First level I can enter KotSS due to BAB
Level 9: KotSS/Chameleon | Feat: Skilled Pact Making
Level 10-12: KotSS/Chameleon | Unchosen feat at 12, +1 STR at 12
Level 13-15: Binder/Chameleon | Unchosen feat at 15
Level 16-20: Binder/Incarnate | +1 CON at 16 and 20 (to be able to use all soulmeld slots gained via class levels), Unchosen feats at 16 and 18

The character ends up binding 4 vestiges as a 20th-level Binder, with 3 augmentations, BAB+17, 17/10/17 Saves (higher with pact augmentations and Chameleon focus), 12 Essentia, 6 Soulmelds (3 of which can be bound) usable as a 10th-level meldshaper, +6 to a stat of my choice each day, 20th-level arcane and divine casting of up to 6th-level spells, Immunity to energy drain and negative levels, Immunity to fear effects, Slippery mind, and whatever random abilities the pacts and soulmelds give. 15 levels of d8 HD, 5 levels of d10.

Example role: The Face
Take the Naberius vestige, his skills will let you fake knowledges, take 10 on Diplomacy and Bluff checks, disguise yourself as a standard action, and direct verbal commands at people.
The Silvertongue Mask soulmeld lets you invest essentia to get bonuses on Bluff, Diplomacy, and (if bound) Sense Motive.
At higher levels, put your Chameleon ability boon into Charisma, and take a casting class to apply self-buffs to help your social skills.

This is the spreadsheet I've been using to make sure the numbers work out. (http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=ppEKlm2gqNriat6mIt--zOw)

Draz74
2009-02-11, 04:33 PM
You can't take 2 PrCs at the same level in Gestalt. Unless this is being houseruled away, you'll have to leave KotSS until 16th level.

Unlike many people who miss this rule, at least you *can* still end up with the same build you were planning on!

jeek
2009-02-11, 04:42 PM
You can't take 2 PrCs at the same level in Gestalt. Unless this is being houseruled away, you'll have to leave KotSS until 16th level.

Unlike many people who miss this rule, at least you *can* still end up with the same build you were planning on!

Do you think it'd be worth taking Chameleon up to 7, picking up the 5 levels of KotSS, then finishing off Chameleon?

jeek
2009-02-11, 05:10 PM

Well, I shuffled KotSS to level 16, this leaves me with BAB18, Saves 16/12/13

Draz74
2009-02-11, 06:32 PM
Do you think it'd be worth taking Chameleon up to 7, picking up the 5 levels of KotSS, then finishing off Chameleon?

Sorry, I couldn't answer earlier due to Forum lag.

Sure, actually I guess it doesn't matter when you take KotSS. I'd go at least Chameleon 2 first, since that Chameleon 2 level is just awesome. But beyond that, whatever you like, as long as you're taking 1 PrC every level.

Also, Gestalt normally uses the Fractional BAB Progressions variant.* With that adjustment, you'll only get up to BAB +16, with base saves +12/6/12. (Where were you getting +12 Reflex from, anyway, no matter what means you used of calculating it?!? None of your classes have a good Reflex save!)

*Not doing this leads to abominations against logic, such as the fallacy that Wizard 20//Fighter 1/Sorcerer 19 ends up with BAB +20.

EDIT: Also, City Slicker is a pretty lame feat, especially when you have Able Learner anyway. If I were your DM I'd be fine with houseruling that Disguise is a Binder class skill (fits their flavor great). But if not, I'm tempted to recommend a dip in Factotum instead of the City Slicker feat. Or even Rogue, if you can't use Dungeonscape. Your Reflex save could use the help, and starting with one of those classes along with Able Learner is always great synergy. Of course, I don't know how your DM deals with Multiclassing XP Penalties in Gestalt either (I don't think there's really any consensus on this).

Zaq
2009-02-11, 09:11 PM
In the game I was in that just finished (went from 3rd to 6th level), I played a Binder/Incarnate/Chameleon with exactly this intention. It wasn't gestalt, so you have an advantage there, but it was pretty awesome. I really could fill nearly any role if I knew what to expect, and the roleplaying was great fun. I had a bag full of hats, and I would wear a different one depending on what the role of the day was. I had some characters absolutely convinced I was a cleric, some convinced I was a wizard, some who thought I was a fighter... it was great fun all around. The bookkeeping was a mess (ESPECIALLY once I hit Chameleon), but it was a fun mess. Naturally, maxed Bluff and Disguise skills are necessary if you want the best roleplaying confusion, but I suppose they're not strictly necessary beyond what you need for Chameleon.

jeek
2009-02-12, 12:38 AM
(Where were you getting +12 Reflex from, anyway, no matter what means you used of calculating it?!? None of your classes have a good Reflex save!)

I have a chart, whenever my character goes up in BAB or a save on either side, I had the overall character go up.

I guess Fractional does make more sense. Use the higher fraction between the two at each level?

jeek
2009-02-15, 08:15 AM
How's this as a trapmonkey solution:
Incarnate binds Theft Gloves from level 4 on to get trapfinding, and the ability to pump essentia into Open Locks, Disable Device, and Sleight of Hand.
From level 5 on, Bind Buer for fast healing 1 and immunity to disease and poison. The theory here is to just survive the traps.

JeminiZero
2009-02-15, 10:18 AM
I guess Fractional does make more sense. Use the higher fraction between the two at each level?

Yep. And depending on who you ask, the same may apply to saves as well.

How's this as a trapmonkey solution:
Incarnate binds Theft Gloves from level 4 on to get trapfinding, and the ability to pump essentia into Open Locks, Disable Device, and Sleight of Hand.
From level 5 on, Bind Buer for fast healing 1 and immunity to disease and poison. The theory here is to just survive the traps.

I would agree with Draz. With Able learner, you should be able to keep trap finding skills maxed out with just a splash in any trapfinding class (Grab Rogue with the Fighter Feat alternate class feature if you are that feat hungry). Or did you have other things you wanted to spend your skills on?

Even without the splash, you can keep trapfinding maxed out at cross-class levels, and then rely on Chameleon/Incarnate/Binder bonuses to make you semi-competent.