PDA

View Full Version : Beginnings of a feat tree [feats]

Were-Sandwich
2006-09-21, 11:55 AM
Some feats I created for a culture of elves in my campaign world....

Slashing Blades [general]

You wield scimitars like extensions of you own arm, whirling and spinning them with effortless ease.

Prerequisites: Dex 13, Base Attack Bonus +1, Weapon Focus (Scimitar)

Benefit: You may treat scimitars as light weapons.

Flashing Blades [style]

You twirl your scimitars like the desert breeze, dancing on the edge of sunlight, directing it into your opponents eyes as you attack him.

Prerequisites: Dex 13, Int 13, Weapon Focus (Scimitar), Slashing Blades, Combat Expertise, Base Attack Bonus +1

Benefit: When you make a full attack whilst wielding one or more scimitars, select an opponent you are attacking this turn. He must make a Reflex Save (DC 10+1/2 your character level+your dex modifier+any penalty you take from your Combat Expertise feat) or be Dazzled until the end of your next turn. If you wield two scimitars, the DC increases by 2.

I think Flashing Blades is a bit weak. What do you think?

Dragonmuncher
2006-09-21, 12:27 PM
Change the Slashing Blades Text to "you MAY treat scimitars as light weapons."

That way, if they don't want to treat it as a light weapon for some reason (Str Damage, sundering? I know there are a few things light weapons get penalties to), they don't have to.

I have no idea whether Flashing Blades is too weak or strong, but clarify if the opponent is dazzled before or after the attack.

Were-Sandwich
2006-09-21, 12:30 PM
Good point.

And as Dazzled doesn't really give any defensive penalties, I didn't think its was important. My problem was that being able to apply the oh-so-awesome dazzled condition on someone was a bit weak for a feat.

Yuki Akuma
2006-09-21, 12:34 PM
...Slashing Blades is a class feature of the Dervish.

Making class abilities (especially prestige class abilities) into feats that anyone can take is a very bad idea.

Especially when it's the first level ability of a PrC that requires you to be at least sixth level whereas this feat can be taken at first level.

Were-Sandwich
2006-09-21, 01:01 PM
...Slashing Blades is a class feature of the Dervish.

Making class abilities (especially prestige class abilities) into feats that anyone can take is a very bad idea.

Especially when it's the first level ability of a PrC that requires you to be at least sixth level whereas this feat can be taken at first level.
I know its a class feature of the Dervish. Thats the whole point of making it into a feat. So anyone can get it.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-21, 01:29 PM
Some feats I created for a culture of elves in my campaign world....

Slashing Blades [general]

You wield scimitars like extensions of you own arm, whirling and spinning them with effortless ease.

Prerequisites: Dex 13, Base Attack Bonus +1, Weapon Focus (Scimitar)

Benefit: You may treat scimitars as light weapons.
I have this exact same feat somewhere...

Yup. Right here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew;action=display;num=11544623 73;start=0#0). Different prerequisites, but basically the same.

On Flashing Blades: I like the idea, but it is a little weak.

Were-Sandwich
2006-09-21, 01:50 PM
I have this exact same feat somewhere...

Yup. Right here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew;action=display;num=11544623 73;start=0#0). Different prerequisites, but basically the same.

On Flashing Blades: I like the idea, but it is a little weak.
Great minds think alike eh. Hmm. If I upgrade it to blinded it'll be too powerful, but I can't think of any other condition that fits the idea.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-21, 02:00 PM
What if it was a Tactical feat?

Dancing Blades [Tactical]
You twirl your scimitars like the dancing breeze, dancing on the edge of sunlight, directing it into your opponents eyes as you attack him.
Prerequisites: Dex 13+, Int 13+, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (Scimitar), Slashing Blades, Combat Expertise, TWF, BAB +6.
Benefit: You can use either of the following tactical maneuvers.
Flashing Blades: When you make a full attack against a single opponent while wielding two scimitars, you may reflect light into his eyes. He must make a Reflex Save (DC 10 + 1/2 your BAB + your Dex modifier + any penalty you take from Combat Expertise, defensive fighting, or total defense) or be flat-footed against your attacks for this round.
Djinn Dance: When you are wielding two scimitars, you may make a Perform (dance) check, adding your Dex mod and half of your BAB instead of your Cha modifier. This duplicates the fascinate bardic music ability, except that drawing weapons does not release the creature from the effect. This is an extraordinary ability which produces a mind-affecting pattern effect.

V: A nation of Duskblades, you say?

Arcane Blades [Style]
The movements of your blades can channel arcane power.
Prerequisites: BAB +3, Combat Casting, TWF, Slashing Blades, ability to cast arcane spells.
Benefit: While wielding two scimitars, you can cast spells with somatic components without requiring a free hand. You do not provoke attacks of opportunity for casting a spell while wielding two scimitars in this way.

Were-Sandwich
2006-09-21, 02:05 PM
I'm still working on a tactical feat for this region. Each region is going to get: 1 metamagic feat, 3-5 general feats, 1 tactical feat, 1 weapon style feat.

I figure Flashing Blades would be the Weapon Style feat. I'm using Scimitars, because their regional exotic weapon, a yet-to-be-named kind of specially balanced scimitar, counts as a scimitar for feat purposes. Hmm. I'll have to look at the different conditions for something. Flat-Footed would work, but I think its a bit powerful. They're a nation of Duskblades, not rogues.

Matthew
2006-09-21, 07:17 PM
Are you intending for Characters with this Feat to have -2 AB from Two Weapon Fighting and still be able to Power Attack with both blades? Seems horrible to me, just more Drizzt-esq drek and why only Scimitars? Why not any Martial Weapon or the Martial Weapon of your choice? Or are Twin Scimitars the signature weapons of your Elf Culture? Can this be used with Oversized Two Weapon Fighting to reduce the penalties to 0?

The Demented One
2006-09-21, 07:24 PM
I think, Were-Sandwich, that you would really enjoy the Tome of Battle book. There's something very like this in there.

Were-Sandwich
2006-09-22, 11:14 AM
I think, Were-Sandwich, that you would really enjoy the Tome of Battle book. There's something very like this in there.
I've got it, and its great. Desert Wind roxorz.

And Slashing Blades is better than Oversized TWF because it means you can finesse them. And, for the record, I AM NOT A DRIZZT FAN-BOY!!!! I just like scimitars.

EDIT:

V: A nation of Duskblades, you say?

Arcane Blades [Style]
The movements of your blades can channel arcane power.
Prerequisites: BAB +3, Combat Casting, TWF, Slashing Blades, ability to cast arcane spells.
Benefit: While wielding two scimitars, you can cast spells with somatic components without requiring a free hand. You do not provoke attacks of opportunity for casting a spell while wielding two scimitars in this way.
Now this is getting creepy, I got that same idea whilst lying in bed last night.

Matthew
2006-09-23, 10:43 AM
Sure, but can you use this Feat in combination with Oversized Two Weapon Fighting to achieve 0 Penalties? Power Attack and the like].

If you can, I would say this Feat is overpowered, if you can't then it seems balanced to me. Also, do you have to be an Elf to acquire this Feat or trained by an Elf or smething similar? Are there similar Feats for other Races who have other 'signature' weapons and fighting styles?

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-23, 10:50 AM
Now this is getting creepy, I got that same idea whilst lying in bed last night.

Have you read Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett?
Ludd and Jeremy?

Were-Sandwich
2006-09-23, 11:42 AM
Have you read Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett?
Ludd and Jeremy?
Its my favourite book. Holy ****!

The Demented One
2006-09-23, 01:02 PM
Oooo-weeeee-oooooo

Were-Sandwich
2006-09-24, 04:46 AM
I'm working on a PrC to go with these. Whilst I'm here:

Desert Breeze Casting [general]

When casting spells, you move with the grace and agility of the desert breeze, here one moment gone the next

Prerequisites: Combat Casting, Dodge, Mobility

Benefit: When casting a spell, you can move both before and after the casting, provided that your total distance moved is not greater than your speed. The spell cast must have a casting time of 1 standard action or less.

kailin
2006-09-24, 10:08 AM
Dude, rapiers should get in on that Slashing Blades goodness. The obvious problem with this is that they aren't slashing weapons, but the focus of the feat isn't really on slashiness, anyway. How 'bout change the name to something like Duelling Precision or whatever, and throwing rapiers in too.

Yuki Akuma's right: making a prestige class feature freely available to all at first level is bad. Making it more available than it currently is, using a feat, is good, as long as you don't just give it away like this.

Raise the BAB prereq to +5, so you can take it as your 6th level feat, if you're a martial fighter, without taking pesky Dervish levels.

I agree with everyone saying that flashing blades is too weak. How about just make it -2 to attacks and -4 to spot checks, and forgetting about those wacky status conditions?

Desert Breeze Casting must have a concentration check or some other containing factor. I'd model it on the tumble DCs, 15+spell level to cast while moving at half speed, +10 to DC for moving at full speed. As it is, it's a feat that basically doubles your effective speed.

Were-Sandwich
2006-09-24, 10:23 AM
Its basically Shot on the Run, for spells. Unlike the Mobile Spellcasting feat, which lets you move as part of the casting, so you can move 30ft and cast with one standard action, this feat lets you cast a spell at some point during your move, but that takes all your actions up. I copy-pasted the text from spring attack. However, unlike spring attack, the movement provokes AoOs

kailin
2006-09-24, 11:46 AM
I get it, but the problem is that a single spell is typically much more powerful than a single melee attack -- let alone a single ranged attack -- at any given level. So Shot On The Run for spells is an overpowered feat because it treats a spell effect as equal to one arrow, when it's actually much stronger.

Also, the fact that a feat already exists for moving while casting is further reason not to introduce a new version. Mobile Spellcasting, if I recall correctly, requires moderately tough skill checks to keep from losing the spell. That's exactly the sort of containing factor you need, and it's already been playtested and balanced in the existing feat.