PDA

View Full Version : Creating my own game

Pink_Paladin
2009-02-11, 05:25 PM
I would like to create my own game. I think I'm tired of DnD, MnM, Star Wars RPG, d20 Modern etc. I would just like to create a game myself for my players and myself. Here are what I and my player put as "Want" list.

Class-less system
Real-time combat system (Exalted)
---> Which means that weapon have different speed and precision etc.
Same power level as DnD or just little more

Now, we (or I) are (am) torn between modern/futuristic setting and just plain ol fantasy medieval style game. Have any suggestion on how to cut this? Maybe mixing both in some cool way? Any idea?

Also, players would like to keep it d20...I seriously disagree because I never saw a class-less system (except MnM) that works with d20. So I don't have any reference.

My proposition would be d6 or d10. Both of them work the same (or not?) Because they are more accurate and create a better suspense than d20.

So well I would like some advice on the basics. Should I start by the system and then work on the setting...or create the setting and then make a system adapted to it?

Daracaex
2009-02-11, 06:53 PM
Why does it matter what dice you use? They're just dice. It's not like using a d20 forces you to adopt a certain set of rules.

I am very interested in how a real-time combat system would work in a tabletop game. I'm working on getting a look at Exalted to see what that's about.

As to how you should develop the system and setting, you need to determine what you want out of it first. Is this system going to be adapted to many different campaign settings and genres? Is it going to limit itself to one genre? Or is it going to be modeled around a very specific world?

There are advantages to each. On one side, the more genres you can adapt to your system, the broader your rules have to be. The advantage lies in player and DM creativity in world and character creation. The other side, a system built around a world, will not allow as much variance in setting or characters, but will be able to offer unique rules catered to match your setting. The setting and system will be much more closely intertwined.

D&D probably falls on the halfway point between the two extremes. GURPS would be an example of something on the loose end, and something like Call of Cthullhu (Not sure, haven't played it) would be on the other end.

Llama231
2009-02-11, 07:09 PM
You can't really have a power level above D and D...:smallconfused:

Pink_Paladin
2009-02-11, 07:23 PM
You can't really have a power level above D and D...:smallconfused:

Oh no? Oh sorry...I was sure that flying to the speed of light until you are bored, throwing car and shooting blast of energy at will like in Mutants and Masterminds was above DnD power level.

And for sure, I would say that Exalted is not above DnD level. Because you know... a system where you can kill an entire army while alone and unarmed, is not above DnD level.

The only game DnD win at the "who's the higher power level" is d20 Modern where you start as a wuss that specialize in wussness.

Llama231
2009-02-11, 09:10 PM
*clip*

Pun-pun.

O.K., lets get serious:

Class-less system
Real-time combat system (Exalted)
---> Which means that weapon have different speed and precision etc.

Hmm... I like the class-less thing...

Now, we (or I) are (am) torn between modern/futuristic setting and just plain ol fantasy medieval style game. Have any suggestion on how to cut this? Maybe mixing both in some cool way? Any idea?
Easy: Two dimensions.:smallbiggrin:

My proposition would be d6 or d10. Both of them work the same (or not?) Because they are more accurate and create a better suspense than d20.
Not much experience here...

So well I would like some advice on the basics. Should I start by the system and then work on the setting...or create the setting and then make a system adapted to it?
Basic Setting
Basic System
Crunch for System
Fluff for System
Fluff for Setting
Crunch for Setting

Brainstorming is always good.

Knaight
2009-02-11, 09:36 PM
Take a look at the Fudge system, specifically how simultaneous combat rounds are handled, it sounds like something you would be interested in. As for going above D&D levels, Fudge is extremely versatile, and it can be done easily enough by just moving the player baseline assumptions way up. Usually I stay on the lower power end (ignoring the whole alkali metal bomb bombardment thing that has a tendency to happen in my sci-fi games. And the KClO3+C6H12O6 reactions in some cases.) Its way too light weight for what your wanting, but it has stealables, and the simultaneous combat rounds and how they work are worth learning the entire system to swipe. That and Scale, which is a beautiful mechanic. Not that learning the entire system is particularly difficult, its on the rules light side.

As for power levels above D&D, epic casting is capable of truly ridiculous stuff, and then there is stuff like genesis. Low level D&D is a different beast, but a lot of systems do go below it (if you took Fudge, and used the gritty wound track, with crap starter skills, and extra lethal weapons, you would be there.)