PDA

View Full Version : Please help a newbie D&D 3.5e player out?

Samuel Sturm
2009-02-11, 11:11 PM
I'm going to be starting my first D&D campaign here soon, hopefully in the next few weeks.

I've done extensive reading and know what I want to play, and the basics of how to play.

I'll be playing a Earth Dwarf, +2 STR, +2 CON, -2 CHA.
We're starting at level 5.

For his class, I'm using the Gravity Warrior.
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Gravity_Warrior_%28DnD_Class%29

He'll be using a bastard sword and scale mail.(I know, not typical or the best stuff for him. But I, like the DM, have a story to tell.)

I've gotten the feats figured out, so I don't need help with that.

The problem is, I don't know what else to give him, what enchantments to have on his stuff, whether to spring for adamintine(if misspelled, sorry) or not, that sort of thing.

I have 9k to work with, minus the cost of the sword and scale mail.

Lil help?

AslanCross
2009-02-12, 12:44 AM
You wouldn't be able to afford anything made of adamantine (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialmaterials.htm) at your level.

At most you'll only be able to afford +1 enhancements on your weapon (2000+300+weapon cost) and armor (1000+150+weapon cost). The rest could go into gauntlets of ogre power. If you can still stick in 2000, I'd get a ring of protection +1. Deflection bonuses are hard to find.

I'll be honest with you. I've never heard of that class before. o_o Still, it's best to get gear that will help you help your party members. What are your party members playing as?

Samuel Sturm
2009-02-12, 01:09 AM
I'll be honest with you. I've never heard of that class before. o_o Still, it's best to get gear that will help you help your party members. What are your party members playing as?

Well, the last, very abortive attempt at a campaign had 5 PC's.
An elf fighter with a CHA of 16, a cleric of pelor, a most useless character possible, (some sort of cute, homebrew barmaid, whose main use was that she was cute) a human ranger, and a dwarven halfing tosser.(Yes, the dwarf used a halfing as his weapon. dwarven monk\fighter, with no good monk bits. The barbarian halfing wore armor of returning(allowed because he was the dwarf's weapon), and dualed daggers.)

The entire group was a weird combo of min-maxing and useless.

To answer your question, though, I'd be playing a frontline damage dealer, with clerical backup.
We might get almost anything else in the mix, though.

I found the class on the D&D wiki. Some sort of homebrew, it appears.

sonofzeal
2009-02-12, 01:34 AM
Items almost all of my characters buy, in roughly this order:

Masterwork weapon (300 + weapon cost)
+1 armor (1000 gp + armor cost)
+1 shield/buckler (1000 gp + shield cost, possibly +1000 if it needs to be mithral to avoid ACP)
+1 cloak/vest of resistance (1000 gp)
+2 primary offensive stat (str for you, probably) enhancement item (4000 gp)
+1 ring of protection (2000 gp)
+1 amulet of natural armor (2000 gp)
+2 cloak/vest of resistance (4000 gp)

....rest totally depends on the character, but weapon enhancements start looking good past that point. Do note that I play more defensively than most, but a healthy character is a contributing character, and it's always epic to be the last one standing and save the day.

AslanCross
2009-02-12, 06:00 PM
The entire group was a weird combo of min-maxing and useless.

To answer your question, though, I'd be playing a frontline damage dealer, with clerical backup.
We might get almost anything else in the mix, though.

I think bards are pretty good at looking cute (though how useful they are is arguable).

Anyway, if you're going to frontline, it's pretty straightforward then. You want to raise your AC (I always prefer the deflection bonus, since that applies to you even for touch and flat-footed AC numbers) and your strength. It's easy enough to do the latter, but since AC doesn't scale, you're going to have to invest in it. Your cleric could buff you, of course, but keep in mind that only one bonus of each type applies to you at a time (the biggest bonus). So for example, if you have gauntlets of ogre power (+2 enhancement bonus to STR), your cleric's bull's strength overwrites that temporarily with a +4 enhancement bonus to strength. It's still an increase, but not much. Your cleric could instead support you by buffing another stat (CON, for example).

Since you're a dwarf, you won't have a problem with being slowed down by armor, and your class gives you increases to speed. Eventually you might want to get items that can allow you to fly, or else you're going to end up being useless against flying enemies.