PDA

View Full Version : How do I level up a +1 LA character?

Laharal
2009-02-11, 11:37 PM
Hey guys!
Even after reading into the 3.5 PHB, MM and Savage species, I'm still confused about how to level a +1 character.

I understand that my level 2 Catfolk will need the amount of Xp normally needed to et to lvl 4 to get to lvl 3... right?
Does the +1 affects BAB progression, saves and such?
My Dm told me that I couldn't start as a lvl 1 catfolk... Is he right?
And why do they talk about a hit dice penalty? I only see a HD penalty because I'll grow more slowly than normal.. Is that it or did I miss something?
Anything else?

Many thanks in advance,

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-02-11, 11:46 PM
Your character's level is the total of his class levels +1. He gains everything he would for the class levels and has an aditional "ghost level" that gives him nothing except costing XP. The +1 adds nothing to BAB, saves, or HP, which is what eople mean by HD penalty(you'll be one level behind your party, meaning you die much easier, especially at low levels).
And no, you can't be a Catfolk without being at least second level(one class level and the one LA).

Laharal
2009-02-11, 11:57 PM
So do you mean that any given level I have to look at one level below my total level to determine Bab and such? I-E that at level 3 I only get Bab from level 2 because I only have 2 Rangers levels?

Many thanks for yor help

LordZarth
2009-02-12, 12:03 AM
You're a bit confused about levels.

Your ECL (effective character level--this controls your experience) is equal to your HD (hit dice) + your LA.

Your HD is any class levels you may have and, sometimes, any racial hit dice.

You are a level two ranger, and have level two ranger abilities. Your effective character level is three.

Laharal
2009-02-12, 12:25 AM
Many thanks. And yes Ecl , La and such have always mixed me up...I think I'm starting to get it .. Thanks again to both of you

P.s. To determine the party's level for encounters, do you use ECL or Class levels?

Aquillion
2009-02-12, 12:32 AM
Many thanks. And yes Ecl , La and such have always mixed me up...I think I'm starting to get it .. Thanks again to both of youAlso, if you haven't looked it up or discussed it already, you might want to look up the rules on LA buyback (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingleveladjustments.htm) and run them past your DM to see if he'll allow them. Races with an LA tend to become a drag later on, because class features scale and your racial features generally don't. Buyback helps deal with this.

BobVosh
2009-02-12, 01:37 AM
You use ECL for CRs.