PDA

View Full Version : OOTS cartoon?

Emilinah Adams
2009-02-12, 01:09 AM
Hey Adult swim airs stuff like "Tim and Eric"... I'm sure they would air OOTS. OOTS is funny and i think it would make a good transition to a cartoon although Rich would need to come up with more material it would still be a project I would like to see even if it was a mini series run like 10 episodes or soemthing. How about you guys?

TheSummoner
2009-02-12, 01:38 AM
Webcomics made into cartoons... never a good idea.

Especially with an action orientec webcomic like OOTS

Emilinah Adams
2009-02-12, 02:01 AM
Why not? I always thought that for comics the next step in the evolution was a cartoon. I mean how many popular comics/cartoons started as news paper strips?

Nimrod's Son
2009-02-12, 02:13 AM
As long as it's just a comic, it remains Rich Burlew's sole creative vision. Outsourcing it to a TV company would almost certainly mean compromising quality for commodity.

Not to mention that having actors voicing those characters would take away so much of the reader's own perception and at worst could really spoil the magic of the strip.

I mean, how could anyone take Xykon seriously if he ended up with a voice like Skeletor?

David Demola
2009-02-12, 03:42 AM
As long as it's just a comic, it remains Rich Burlew's sole creative vision. Outsourcing it to a TV company would almost certainly mean compromising quality for commodity.

Not to mention that having actors voicing those characters would take away so much of the reader's own perception and at worst could really spoil the magic of the strip.

I mean, how could anyone take Xykon seriously if he ended up with a voice like Skeletor?

But...I always pictured Xykon as sounding like Skeletor...

No, seriously. I have. Makes for a great deal of fun.

~Dave

Nimrod's Son
2009-02-12, 03:47 AM
...Actually, that probably wasn't the best example.

Carteeg_Struve
2009-02-12, 11:42 AM
I'd be happy to even see a 'failed' cartoon series.

Heck, I'd pick up a 10-13 episode Blu-Ray pack, even if the show's storyline was never completed.

hamishspence
2009-02-12, 12:48 PM
Going by Start of Darkness, James Earl Jones is the closest to Xykon in voice (a little deeper than Xykon)

Nimrod's Son
2009-02-12, 01:03 PM
Calvin and Hobbes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvin_and_Hobbes) creator Bill Watterson on why he resisted all forms of licensing, not just animation:

My strip is a low-tech, one-man operation, and I like it that way. I believe it's the only way to preserve the craft and to keep the strip personal. Despite what some cartoonists say, approving someone else's work is not the same as doing it yourself.

I believe licensing usually cheapens the original creation. When cartoon characters appear on countless products, the public inevitably grows bored and irritated with them, and the appeal and value of the original work would be diminished. Nothing dulls the edge of a new and clever cartoon like saturating the market with it.

Quotes taken from The Calvin and Hobbes Tenth Anniversary Book by Bill Watterson, pages 10-11.

I'd be happy to even see a 'failed' cartoon series.

Heck, I'd pick up a 10-13 episode Blu-Ray pack, even if the show's storyline was never completed.
Why on earth would you be so "happy" with something that is clearly a failure? The only way I'd be happy with an OotS animation would be if it were a significant improvement over the original (which is never going to happen), because otherwise, what's the point?

TheSummoner
2009-02-12, 01:13 PM
Some more reference points... These are video games, but the cheapening effect still applies...

Legend of Zelda animated series

Every animated series that had to do with Super Mario Bros.

Donkey Kong animated series.

Sonic animated series. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jSKyWSvNgg)

Megaman animated series (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7dSJN5LgsE)

Actually... that last one wasn't as bad as the rest... but it still doesn't compare to the games...

NerfTW
2009-02-12, 01:31 PM
You're making one of the biggest mistakes in media. Assuming that what is a good story in one form can be applied to any form.

There are countless examples of how written words don't always translate to screen, or vice versa, or to and from videogames. One horrendous example I always see is the "Half Life Movie" argument, ignoring the fact that the "story" is only about ten minutes long, and most of it simply implied through actions in the game. (The original, not Half Life 2)

Just because something worked in one medium does not mean it will translate to another. Just look at the Doom movie. What exactly were people expecting them to do? Honestly have a movie where the main character just shoots Satan with a rocket launcher?

Order of the stick uses wordplay quite a bit. It also regularly references it's own artistic simplicity. Neither translates well to animation. Not to mention the wordiness of most strips would amount to the characters standing around talking for several minutes at a time. This is not by any stretch of the imagination an "action" oriented strip. There is very little to be gained from animating it that would be anything more than reading the comics out loud.

Optimystik
2009-02-12, 03:55 PM
Going by Start of Darkness, James Earl Jones is the closest to Xykon in voice (a little deeper than Xykon)

In that his voice sounds powered by the Negative Energy Plane, you're right :smalltongue:

hamishspence
2009-02-12, 04:03 PM
Xykon doing James Earl Jones impressions in SoD was a good humour moment, though its just one of the things I liked about the book.