PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Shot Web? [Template]

The Demented One
2006-09-09, 10:08 PM
Arachnid
Arachnids are creatures born different, their bodies twisted into a spider-like form. There are many reasons a creature might be born as an Arachnid–some evil Arachnids are the results of divine meddling on the part of Lolth, while others are born of embryos who formed a connection with a totemic spider spirit while in the womb. Some are simply the result of the mother being exposed to uncontained magical energy during pregnancy. Arachnids bear a vague resemblance to other creatures of their kind, but have a hairy carapace, and four extra limbs.

Creating An Arachnid
Arachnid is an inherited template that can be added to any corporeal, living creature.

Size and Type
Arachnid animals or vermin become magical beasts, but otherwise the creature type is unchanged. Size is unchanged.

Speed
An Arachnid gains a climb speed equal to half its base land speed.

Armor Class
An Arachnid’s natural armor bonus to AC increases by 2.

Attack
An Arachnid gains a bite attack, a secondary natural attack. In addition, Arachnids have extra appendages sufficient to bring its total number of appendages to eight, half of which, rounded up, are analogous to arms, assuming the base creature already has arms. If the base creature can use its arms or am-like appendages as natural weapons–claws, slams, or tentacles, for example–it gains an an additional attack of that kind for every additional arm or arm-analouge it gains. If the base creature could use weapons, the Arachnid retains that ability, and can wield weapons with its extra arms.

Damage
Arachnids have a bite attack. If the base creature does not have this attack form, use the damage values in the table. Otherwise, use the values in the table or the base creature’s damage values, whichever are greater.
{table]
SizeDamage
Fine1
Diminutive1d2
Tiny1d3
Small1d4
Medium1d6
Large1d8
Huge2d6
Gargantuan3d6
Colossal4d6[/table]
Special Attacks
An Arachnid retains all the special attacks of the base creature and also gains the following attacks.

Poison (Ex)
A creature damaged by an Arachnid’s bite must make a Fortitude save, DC 10 + ½ the Arachnid’s HD + the Arachnid’s Con modifier, or succumb to its poisonous bite. Both the initial and secondary damage of the poison are 1d6 Str damage.

Web (Ex)
An Arachnid can throw a web once per day per two HD. This is similar to an attack with a net but has a maximum range of 50 feet, with a range increment of 10 feet, and is effective against targets of up to the Arachnid’s size. The web anchors the target in place, allowing no movement. An entangled creature can escape with an Escape Artist check or burst the web with a Strength check, both of which have a DC of 10 + ½ the Arachnid’s HD + the Arachnid’s Con modifier. The web has hit points equal to the Arachnid’s HD, hardness 0, and takes double damage from fire.

Arachnids can also create sheets of sticky webbing from 5 to 60 feet square instead of throwing a web. Approaching creatures must succeed on a DC 20 Spot check to notice a web, or they stumble into it and become trapped as though by a successful web attack. Attempts to escape or burst the webbing receive a +5 bonus if the trapped creature has something to walk on or grab while pulling free. Each 5-foot-square section has hit points equal to the Arachnid’s HD, hardness 0, and takes double damage from fire. An Arachnid can move across its own sheet web at its climb speed and can determine the exact location of any creature touching the web with its tremorsense.

Special Qualities
An Arachnid retains all the special qualities of the base creature and also gains the following qualities.

Spider Climb (Ex)
An Arachnid’s body is covered in tiny grasping hairs, allowing it to climb sheer surfaces as the spider climb spell.

Stability (Ex)
Arachnids have extra appendages sufficient to bring its total number of appendages to eight, half of which, rounded down, are analogous to legs. If the base creature lacks arms, all the extra limbs are instead legs or leg analouges This grants it a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground or when climbing (but not when flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground). Even if the creature has no more legs than normal creatures of its kind, it still gains this bonus, as its legs are modified to better cling to the ground.

Tremorsense (Ex)
An Arachnid can detect and pinpoint any creature or object within 60 feet in contact with the ground, or within any range in contact with the Arachnid’s webs.

Abilities
Increase from the base creature as follows: Str +2, Dex +4, Con +2.

Skills
An Arachnid gains a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened.

Challenge Rating
As base creature +2.

Level Adjustment
Same as base creature +3.

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-09-09, 10:29 PM
Okay, now that I've stopped cracking up from the title...

I like it. It provides a great way to make an old monster interesting again without being too ridiculous or complex - meaning if can fit easily into any game - but at the same time fits into a number of themes and specific campaigns very neatly. Any campaign dealing with drow (other than in Eberron, and even then it could still work) would welcome this template, and it could even work as a theme in-and-of-itself for an adventure, or to make a memorable recurring character (I'm tempted to use it to make a Spiderman analogue in Sharn for an Eberron campaign...).

The stats look excellent, I like that you kept the poison in line with the monstrous spider's poison. I also like that the web based options are not exactly the same.

You do mention that the creature gains four new limbs, but only two are arm-like. I imagine this makes the other two leg-like - this should probably be noted specifically, and the effects it has (benefits to trip and so forth).

Finally, I'm not sure if the benefits of this template should only increase CR by 1. The special abilities can be quite powerful if used intelligently (attacking an arachnid creature in its lair would be a tough challenge). Combined with the stat increases, I'd consider bumpting the CR increase to +2.

As for Level Adjustment, several of these abilities are extremely useful for PCs. Combat classes would love this template, and caster classes would be just a step behind (extra arms? I can wield a two-handed weapon, a shield, and have a hand free to cast!). The climbing abilities could really mess with certain challanges and combats, we haven't even gotten to the other special qualities and abilities. At the same time, it doesn't give any hit die, which means the LA can't be too high or the character would be unplayably fragile. It's at least as good as the half-dragon template, IMHO, so a +3 LA sounds reasonable to me.

The Demented One
2006-09-09, 10:37 PM
Okay, now that I've stopped cracking up from the title...
I figured you'd like in.

(I'm tempted to use it to make a Spiderman analogue in Sharn for an Eberron campaign...).
I'd personally tie it to House Vadalis, as a "what has science/magic done?" kind of thing. A manifest zone to Lamnammia could also make a decent explanation.

You do mention that the creature gains four new limbs, but only two are arm-like. I imagine this makes the other two leg-like - this should probably be noted specifically, and the effects it has (benefits to trip and so forth).
I'd actually meant to put that there. Thanks for reminding me.

Finally, I'm not sure if the benefits of this template should only increase CR by 1. The special abilities can be quite powerful if used intelligently (attacking an arachnid creature in its lair would be a tough challenge). Combined with the stat increases, I'd consider bumpting the CR increase to +2.

As for Level Adjustment, several of these abilities are extremely useful for PCs. Combat classes would love this template, and caster classes would be just a step behind (extra arms? I can wield a two-handed weapon, a shield, and have a hand free to cast!). The climbing abilities could really mess with certain challanges and combats, we haven't even gotten to the other special qualities and abilities. At the same time, it doesn't give any hit die, which means the LA can't be too high or the character would be unplayably fragile. It's at least as good as the half-dragon template, IMHO, so a +3 LA sounds reasonable to me.
Yeah, I was wavering between +1/+2 and +2/+3. I'll err on the side of caution and bump then up.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-09, 11:16 PM
MitP Vote: Yes.

ExHunterEmerald
2006-09-09, 11:27 PM
By inherited Template on your character sheet.
Nice one.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-09, 11:39 PM
You know, I'm getting tired of coming into threads too late to contribute anything, as my mission is to balance out the obscene amount of three word replies over the past month and a half, most of which, coincidentally, are in response to your creation, D1.

MitP vote: Yes

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-10, 12:13 AM
Don't worry, 8th. You can always help me balance my wacky PrCs.

Randomman413
2006-09-10, 12:16 AM
With so many built in arms and a natural bite attack, an arachnid creature would make an INSANE totemist.

MitP: Yes

Brickwall
2006-09-10, 12:26 AM
It'd be even cooler if this template was basically what made Drow Driders ('cept Driders would be better, 'cause they're more natural), but it seems nice anyway.

Winged One
2006-09-10, 12:33 AM
MitP vote: yes.

The Demented One
2006-09-10, 12:40 AM
It'd be even cooler if this template was basically what made Drow Driders ('cept Driders would be better, 'cause they're more natural), but it seems nice anyway.
Truth be told, I've never been particularly fond of the silly little "zomg spiderz!" thing that Greyhawk/FR Drow have going on. The diversity in Eberron drow, however, I'm rather fond of. Also, I'll note that driders, being abominations created by Lolth, are hardly more natural than this.

Brickwall
2006-09-10, 12:43 AM
They're created from her weaker followers. They have a pre-existing connection.

But how exactly do you advocate Lloth and denounce drow? They're kinda interconnected. You're a hypocrite, I say!

The Demented One
2006-09-10, 12:46 AM
They're created from her weaker followers. They have a pre-existing connection.

But how exactly do you advocate Lloth and denounce drow? They're kinda interconnected. You're a hypocrite, I say!
When did I advocate Lolth?

Jack Mann
2006-09-10, 12:52 AM
Because logically, anything with spiders involved is all about Lolth. 'Cause you can't have spiders without her. Obviously.

I like it. I may have to use this in connection with the Spider King VT made for me.

Not that I don't still hate you, mind. I'm still plotting your timely demise.

Brickwall
2006-09-10, 12:56 AM
some evil Arachnids are the results of divine meddling on the part of Lolth

Close enough for me.

The Demented One
2006-09-10, 01:02 AM
Close enough for me.
That's not advocacy, that's providing an option. Since it's obvious that some people are going to want to apply this to drow, there's no sense in not justifying it, even if it doesn't fit my own personal taste.

tgva8889
2006-09-10, 11:54 AM
I'm pretty sure that an Arachnid Monstrous Spider would be very, very odd...

Also, I would love to use this in a campaign. Spider maniacs, yay!

Leperflesh
2006-09-10, 07:26 PM
I like this template, But:

Wherever you count arms and legs and specify them, you are clearly assuming a bipedal humanoid as the base creature. Yet, the template appears to specifically be applicable to all sorts of other things, including vermin and animals, many of which are quadripedal, or (in the case of vermin) may already have six or eight legs. Nevermind the variety of magical beasts and abberations which could have any number of limbs.

I suggest you indicate instead that the base creature gains limbs "sufficient to bring it to 8 limbs total". Also, that it only gains bonus arms/hands if it already had at least 1, and otherwise all bonus appendages are legs.

Fix this wording (or limit the template to humanoids) and I'll provide a vote!

Thanks

-Lep

The Demented One
2006-09-10, 07:33 PM
I like this template, But:

Wherever you count arms and legs and specify them, you are clearly assuming a bipedal humanoid as the base creature. Yet, the template appears to specifically be applicable to all sorts of other things, including vermin and animals, many of which are quadripedal, or (in the case of vermin) may already have six or eight legs. Nevermind the variety of magical beasts and abberations which could have any number of limbs.

I suggest you indicate instead that the base creature gains limbs "sufficient to bring it to 8 limbs total". Also, that it only gains bonus arms/hands if it already had at least 1, and otherwise all bonus appendages are legs.

Fix this wording (or limit the template to humanoids) and I'll provide a vote!

Thanks

-Lep
Good suggestion.

Umbral_Arcanist
2006-09-10, 10:01 PM
I really hate to burst your bubble, but the Underdark source book has the exact same template (well, fluff wise, i'm sure your template is different crunch wise). it's called the arachnoid template if i recall......

Which i think makes it inelligable for MitP...i think...

But if that doesn't, i'd vote yes

The Demented One
2006-09-10, 11:04 PM
I really hate to burst your bubble, but the Underdark source book has the exact same template (well, fluff wise, i'm sure your template is different crunch wise). it's called the arachnoid template if i recall......

Which i think makes it inelligable for MitP...i think...

But if that doesn't, i'd vote yes
Crap, does it? I hate it when I do that.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-11, 07:15 PM
Yeah, might wanna check up on that afore we get sued. Not gonna sell too many that-a-way.

Jack Mann
2006-09-12, 05:56 AM
Nah. It's too general an idea for them to claim injury. The fluff's not the same as the arachnoid template and the crunch is pretty different. Just as you could create a template that changed creatures into something more plantlike, and not be infringing on the woodling template.

Fax Celestis
2006-09-12, 02:57 PM
The one problem I have with your limb-gaining process is that an Arachnid Thri-Kreen has six arms and two legs.

Also, why living only? Arachnid Mohrgs would be terrifying.

The Demented One
2006-09-12, 06:06 PM
The one problem I have with your limb-gaining process is that an Arachnid Thri-Kreen has six arms and two legs.
True, but it would have a ridiculous ECL.

Also, why living only? Arachnid Mohrgs would be terrifying.
Undead can't get inherited templates, as far as I know. However, note that, due to type stacking, you could apply an undead template like Lich or Vampire to an Arachnid, but you couldn't apply the Arachnid template to a Lich or Vampire.

Leperflesh
2006-09-12, 09:04 PM
MitP Vote: Yes
-Lep

Fax Celestis
2006-09-22, 12:51 AM
And for the Seventh Vote:

MitP Vote: Yes.

fangthane
2006-09-22, 03:09 PM
I just have to say it.... 3600 square feet of webbing (60 feet square) in one round, from a fine creature?!

It might be an idea to limit the web size based on the creature given the template; i.e. 5' square for fine, up to 10' square for diminutive and so forth. Bad enough that a medium creature can make that much web, but there's no way a smaller creature should have as much juice in it.

If you hadn't figured, this is what always bothered me about ettercaps. It just doesn't make sense that such a creature can contain that much silly-string.

The Glyphstone
2006-09-23, 10:11 AM
Shouldn't that title be "How Do I Shoot Web? :D

The Demented One
2006-09-23, 10:26 AM
Shouldn't that title be "How Do I Shoot Web? :D
'Tis an obscure reference, not a grammatical mistake on my part.

The Glyphstone
2006-09-23, 01:36 PM
Oh. Got it*.

*Metaphorical...I don't get it.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-24, 12:07 AM
True, but it would have a ridiculous ECL.

Undead can't get inherited templates, as far as I know. However, note that, due to type stacking, you could apply an undead template like Lich or Vampire to an Arachnid, but you couldn't apply the Arachnid template to a Lich or Vampire.

However, you could always make it so that Lolth turned a murderer into an arachnid, and he died without paying for his crime. The result is an arachnid mhorg for your PCs to spend weeks having nightmares over.